YAY! I bought a F711U from ebay that was locked to Verizon ("sorry, a carrier switch can't be performed at this time...") and it refused my Hello Mobile SIM. Verizon refused to help as I'm not a VZW customer of course.
Flashing the U1 firmware worked a charm! and the verizon bloat is gone to boot! And I didn't need to factory reset!
EDIT: JK, message still appears and SIM is shut off, but it takes several minutes from boot to happen.
How I did it:
- Odin 3B Patched v3.14.1
- Bifrost tool to download all the files (did not need any of the outdated ones in this thread)
- Fill in all the slots as the files are named, I did CSC in CSC (not HOME) and yet my data was still not wiped
- Leave USERDATA blank (instructions were unclear so I filled the remaining file HOME as there was no USERDATA, thankfully this caused no problems)
- Reboot and then insert new SIM. Works! Then stops working after some minutes because you gotta reboot.
- Reboot again! also notice, no more bootup animation or bloatware!