• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

.face Folder Is Choking With Thousands Of Files...

Search This thread

GalaxyBill

Sep 15, 2012
South Florida
I have a folder called .face it has thousands of files residing. I opened a few of them in the text editor and did see a jpg header. I copied and renamed them to *.jpg. they seem to be resized thumbnails of some sort. Can anyone tell what is generating these files, and is there a way to stop future creation? Is it safe to delete them?

Thanks and regards,

Last edited:

donec

Aug 21, 2012
I have a folder called .face it has thousands of files residing. I opened a few of them in the text editor and did see a jpg header. I copied and renamed them to *.jpg. they seem to be resized thumbnails of some sort. Can anyone tell what is generating these files, and is there a way to stop future creation? Is it safe to delete them?

Thanks and regards,

How long have you had your GNote 19.1? I have had mine for about 2 months and I only have 2 files in the .face folder.

sphere314

Apr 1, 2012
Milano
.face folder

I've 110 files in the .face folder, almost all dated at the first days I had the GNote.
Couldn't it be something related to the "Smart Stay" function?.

Maybe they are sort of pics taken from the front camera to help the GNote identify your face and your eyes. Someone has not activated this function and so, for him, there aren't much files in the folder.

Just a supposition...

GalaxyBill

Sep 15, 2012
South Florida
I've 110 files in the .face folder, almost all dated at the first days I had the GNote.
Couldn't it be something related to the "Smart Stay" function?.

Maybe they are sort of pics taken from the front camera to help the GNote identify your face and your eyes. Someone has not activated this function and so, for him, there aren't much files in the folder.

Just a supposition...

I was going there as well. Until i found many of the pic's are from my customer folder (on my exrSD) that were not taken from the GN camera.

sphere314

Apr 1, 2012
Milano
I was going there as well. Until i found many of the pic's are from my customer folder (on my exrSD) that were not taken from the GN camera.

I've examined my files.
They are thumbnails of (mainly) some of the photos I took with my camera. From these photos it seems that only the face has been thumbnailed.
Anyway there are also faces coming from the few pics I downloaded from Internet.

I wonder what's the use for all these thumbnails...
Now I'm very curious...

Reactions: kaizokan

doctormaligno

Oct 12, 2011
This .face folder is driving me crazy.

The system settings for face unlock are all off, the Face Unlock apk is disable but the .face folder keeps being created, also it keeps growing with new files. I don't know what else to do.

What is the apk that creates the folder and also creates new files in it? Hopefully i will be able to disable if i ever figure this out.

I hope anyone here can point me into the right direction, cause I can't, and google hasn't help me either.

Thanks.

truemagic

Oct 14, 2009
Same here on Note 2 N7100

Went to Camera settings but no where to turn it off.

Anyway is it safe to remove the folder? I mean maybe next time I wanna re-enable the face tagging again who knows ;)

Thanks!

taltosgr

Feb 5, 2008
Ok... I guess I might have found out what causes the .face folder filling up wih files! It's "Gallery" application's "Tag Buddy" feature... as soon as I disabled it, it didn't re-create those thousands of files.
I had deleted them all and periodically checked if they would be recreated after opening any new application. I hadn't opened "Gallery" in a while, but it opened automatically when I reviewed a photo I had just taken... and guess what: as soon as the application started, the files in the .face folder started to reappear! After stubling around the settings and sub-menus and force-closing the app a few times to verify it as the cause for the .face folder choking up with thumbnails, I isolated the cause: "Tag Buddy"... a feature that I don't even know what it does! ...and for me, having a few thousand photos in the phone's tsansflash card (actually I have a Note II phone, but I guess some apps are on both devices... if not on even more Samsung tabs and phones) generated something around 28000 files in the .face folder, choking up the file system and therefore effectively even slowing down file operations!!! :eek:

KC6UFO

Jul 18, 2011
Colorado Springs
Ok... I guess I might have found out what causes the .face folder filling up wih files! It's "Gallery" application's "Tag Buddy" feature... as soon as I disabled it, it didn't re-create those thousands of files.
I had deleted them all and periodically checked if they would be recreated after opening any new application. I hadn't opened "Gallery" in a while, but it opened automatically when I reviewed a photo I had just taken... and guess what: as soon as the application started, the files in the .face folder started to reappear! After stubling around the settings and sub-menus and force-closing the app a few times to verify it as the cause for the .face folder choking up with thumbnails, I isolated the cause: "Tag Buddy"... a feature that I don't even know what it does! ...and for me, having a few thousand photos in the phone's tsansflash card (actually I have a Note II phone, but I guess some apps are on both devices... if not on even more Samsung tabs and phones) generated something around 28000 files in the .face folder, choking up the file system and therefore effectively even slowing down file operations!!! :eek:

Face is part of Android 4.1+ camera app. On a Samsung phone this is how it is turned on and off.http://skp.samsungcsportal.com/integrated/popup/HtgDetailGuide3.jsp?seq=10370&cdsite=in

myandroidlor

Mar 31, 2014
Surrey
thanks for the .face file idea

What i did was DELETE the ".face" folder and then create an empty file named ".face"
Android wont be able to create a folder with the same name and just give up.

I tried that and just a file didn't work. My wife kept creating folders. I laughed a little at her and explained if she creates a folder there is really no point in deleting it. Then she goes and shows me up and does something brilliant. She opens up the burstly image folder and copies one of the cache files to the root directory deletes the .face and renames the cache file .face and damn it she did it. A .face file not a folder...no more face data for Samsung.

Reactions: cachodebestia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It recognises any face in the gallery even downloaded images... you can then tag them from your contacts

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Face is part of Android 4.1+ camera app. On a Samsung phone this is how it is turned on and off.http://skp.samsungcsportal.com/integrated/popup/HtgDetailGuide3.jsp?seq=10370&cdsite=in
    What i did was DELETE the ".face" folder and then create an empty file named ".face"
    Android wont be able to create a folder with the same name and just give up.

I've examined my files.
    They are thumbnails of (mainly) some of the photos I took with my camera. From these photos it seems that only the face has been thumbnailed.
    Anyway there are also faces coming from the few pics I downloaded from Internet.

I wonder what's the use for all these thumbnails...
    Now I'm very curious...