• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Facebook Messenger Waking Screen on notification

Search This thread

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth
I can't pin it down to this being an Android 4.3 issue or an update to the app itself so i'm asking for other peoples experience here. When you receive a facebook message and the screen is off, does it wake the screen?

I should also mention it happens too on my Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited:

ali3nshon

Jan 4, 2011
I can't pin it down to this being an Android 4.3 issue or an update to the app itself so i'm asking for other peoples experience here. When you receive a facebook message and the screen is off, does it app wake the screen?

Yeah, I also noticed it started yesterday or the day before. Android 4.3 stock firmware. Pretty sure it's apps fault, tried different ROMs and got exact the same result. Someone should report this to developers.

Reactions: Bobtehblob

moko032

Sep 14, 2010
Yeah, I got the same issue with parandroid and the stock 4.3.
The screen wake up when I get a message on the desktop computer. I've shot down all the notifications on the phone and the problem's gone now.

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth
So I'm definitely not alone then! I've just reverted back to the previous version and that's fixed it for the time being. Also sent the devs a message from within the app but seeing as this nod Facebook, who knows when it will get fixed :(

Sent from my Nexus 4

ali3nshon

Jan 4, 2011
Good to hear, it's really annoying, I hope they fix it soon. Any tip how to revert back to old version? Or maybe you have the right apk to share with me please? I don't even know which version was the working one :eek:

Nexus Cable

Jun 15, 2010
The new update fixed it momentarily, but it's doing it again. I'm on 4.2.2 on an S4 and it's doing it too. Kills the battery, I hate it. Turning notifications off completely only disables it as it automatically turns on after a few hours.

Anyone have the APK for the version before this crap started happening?

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth
Good to hear, it's really annoying, I hope they fix it soon. Any tip how to revert back to old version? Or maybe you have the right apk to share with me please? I don't even know which version was the working one :eek:

Version 2.53 (here) doesn't seem to wake the screen for me...

Can't believe they still haven't fixed it... Wish more of my friends used hangouts :(

Reactions: ali3nshon

ali3nshon

Jan 4, 2011
Well, thanks for the effort, but it still didn't fix my problem. Also tried different versions, but neither of them did work. Gotta wait for official update.

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth
Okay, so I've found a fix. After trying absolutely everything I tried greenifying the app. Obviously when it's greenified the screen doesn't wake, because you aren't receiving any notifications at all. Strangely enough though, when you de-greenify the app, then run it again. No more screen wakes!

Have no idea why it works, but it does! So I'm happy!

r0main78

Oct 22, 2010
I'm also having the same problem, with my HTC One and my Nexus 7 2013.

I can reproduce the problem on the followings devices:
* HTC One running Sense 5
* HTC One running Google Edition RUU (4.3)
* Nexus 7 2013 (4.3 JSS15Q)

I dunno if the problem is really app related or not... What i find out is that trying to login with my friend account, the screen doesn't wake up when receiving a message. I tried further and created a dummy facebook account, and same, doesn't wake up the screen.

Just my facebook account is waking up my screen.

I didn't try long enough with my friend account and my dummy account if the problem will appear sooner or later.

Could be account related or app related, or both...

Reactions: Bobtehblob

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth

I dunno if the problem is really app related or not... What i find out is that trying to login with my friend account, the screen doesn't wake up when receiving a message. I tried further and created a dummy facebook account, and same, doesn't wake up the screen.

I didn't try long enough with my friend account and my dummy account if the problem will appear sooner or later.

This is really interesting... I will try a friends account too to try confirm your findings. Maybe there's some abstract setting on the Facebook account itself that is causing the issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth

This is really interesting... I will try a friends account too to try confirm your findings. Maybe there's some abstract setting on the Facebook account itself that is causing the issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Okay, So I tried a fake account as well. Bam. No screen wake upon receiving notifications. So i'm going to assume it's account related... Only Facebook could pull this off...unbelievable..

Tortuga52

Jan 13, 2011
unbelievable but true! it is account related. The question now is:
What do we have in common? (Developer?)
and are there any settings in Facebook which could stop this behavior.

jcsanches

Sep 19, 2013
I have the same issue and tried everthing to get rid of it without turning all the notifications off on the app. I really dont like to have my screen on every time a get a message. I could notice that this is happening on android and ios devices.

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
I have the same issue and tried everthing to get rid of it without turning all the notifications off on the app. I really dont like to have my screen on every time a get a message. I could notice that this is happening on android and ios devices.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but... did anyone find a solution? I've got the same problem with Facebook. I remember I applied for beta testing some months ago, but then I "resigned" and went back to the normal app. Problem still occurs, though. Isn't there a way to solve this? :(

Bobtehblob

Dec 12, 2012
Perth
Sorry for bumping this thread, but... did anyone find a solution? I've got the same problem with Facebook. I remember I applied for beta testing some months ago, but then I "resigned" and went back to the normal app. Problem still occurs, though. Isn't there a way to solve this? :(

I've not found a solution yet :( All I know is that it's somehow tied to the account and that it's not device/rom related :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, it looks like the thread I made on Reddit last night about this bug caught the attention of an engineer over at Facebook, who was able to pass the bug report up the chain, and a server-side fix has been implemented.

As of right now, I'm no longer seeing problems with my screens lighting up.
    Facebook is always a fail app.
    I can't pin it down to this being an Android 4.3 issue or an update to the app itself so i'm asking for other peoples experience here. When you receive a facebook message and the screen is off, does it app wake the screen?

Yeah, I also noticed it started yesterday or the day before. Android 4.3 stock firmware. Pretty sure it's apps fault, tried different ROMs and got exact the same result. Someone should report this to developers.

Version 2.53 (here) doesn't seem to wake the screen for me...

Can't believe they still haven't fixed it... Wish more of my friends used hangouts :(