Question FaceID for pixel 6 pro?

Search This thread

ansh1996

Hi, i was wondering if its possible to port the face recognition option we used to have on older android versions as a mod on the pixel 6 pro. I believe they used the front camera.
Are there any accuracy problems associated with using front camera?
I just needed a faster option to unlock at work as my hands get kinda dirty and the FP sensor on pixel 6 is sensitive to dust unlike the one on my pixel 3 XL (RIP legend).
If there is a solution that exists already, please forgive my naivety and point me to the thread/discussion for it. Thank you!

Reactions: NippleSauce

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
There were reports that FaceID is in the code, but that it was not used on the P6 because it drains the battery. Since the battery is not great as is, I can see the point. I also wonder how secure it is, as Apple uses dedicated hardware to ensure security (thus the notch), but Google seems to rely on the camera alone -- I assume it's a more secure unlock than the totally inon-secure fake FaceID unlocks on many Chinese phones, like Xiaomi.

On another note, I am trying to use my Garmin watch as a trusted device, but about half the time it doesn't work and the phone would ask for PIN. The trusted device implementation, at least with a watch, is kind of a joke, so I am thinking of disabling it at this point.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Then you don't need to lock it at all. Problem solved :D
Was about to say this. Wifi/Location unlocking when at work is not a good idea.

There is a reason why we lock our phones, and no human is perfect - you might forget it for a moment, or get distracted - whatever.

If someone doesn't care for security in any way (I am perfect & my phone will 24/7 stay on me, no matter what) then he/she/is doesn't need any sort of security active in the first place.

Konfuzion

Oct 17, 2008
Upland
OnePlus 9 Pro

There is a reason why we lock our phones, and no human is perfect - you might forget it for a moment, or get distracted - whatever.

If someone doesn't care for security in any way (I am perfect & my phone will 24/7 stay on me, no matter what) then he/she/is doesn't need any sort of security active in the first place.
Yeah until you want to you a service like "Google pay" you have to have a lock on your phone or you can't use it.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Hi, i was wondering if its possible to port the face recognition option we used to have on older android versions as a mod on the pixel 6 pro. I believe they used the front camera.
Are there any accuracy problems associated with using front camera?
I just needed a faster option to unlock at work as my hands get kinda dirty and the FP sensor on pixel 6 is sensitive to dust unlike the one on my pixel 3 XL (RIP legend).
If there is a solution that exists already, please forgive my naivety and point me to the thread/discussion for it. Thank you!

It can certainly be done, but you'll have to write some of the code for it yourself. There are a number of open source facial recognition packages available that you can leverage for this.

Reactions: yyz71 and ansh1996

ansh1996

I don't think there is currently a solution and I doubt there will be unless Google includes it later.

Can you use smart unlock, with your works WiFi? Or location unlock if it has that?
I work in construction and so there's usually no wifi at work. And the location differs almost everyday so that won't be a viable solution as well.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

ansh1996

There were reports that FaceID is in the code, but that it was not used on the P6 because it drains the battery. Since the battery is not great as is, I can see the point. I also wonder how secure it is, as Apple uses dedicated hardware to ensure security (thus the notch), but Google seems to rely on the camera alone -- I assume it's a more secure unlock than the totally inon-secure fake FaceID unlocks on many Chinese phones, like Xiaomi.

On another note, I am trying to use my Garmin watch as a trusted device, but about half the time it doesn't work and the phone would ask for PIN. The trusted device implementation, at least with a watch, is kind of a joke, so I am thinking of disabling it at this point.
If the only major issue is battery than i would rather google give us an option to enable it if we want. That way i could turn it on while im at work.

ansh1996

Trusted location is poor security, for many reasons.

Anyone at the location can unlock your phone, so for most of us it's not a solution.
I agree.

My security is my phone is always on me. :) I never have left a phone anywhere, lost one, or had one stolen...
Unfortunately i am extremely forgetful..its something i have to live with so i can definitely not be trusted as the only security for my device hahah

I agree 100%.

Yeah until you want to you a service like "Google pay" you have to have a lock on your phone or you can't use it.
I use google pay as well so yeah no security is off the table haha

ansh1996

It can certainly be done, but you'll have to write some of the code for it yourself. There are a number of open source facial recognition packages available that you can leverage for this.
Oh. I know a little bit about coding maybe this could be a learning project for me. Would you know what framework i can use to bypass phone security? LSposed, Magisk or maybe some other?

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Oh. I know a little bit about coding maybe this could be a learning project for me. Would you know what framework i can use to bypass phone security? LSposed, Magisk or maybe some other?

Nononono, wrong approach. You do NOT want to bypass phone security. You want to integrate into it. Android is an open source operating system, just find the code where the 4 included unlock mechanisms are defined (swipe/pattern/pin/password), and add your own in the same way.

Reactions: ansh1996 and yyz71

intp.pisces

Account currently disabled
Aug 4, 2018
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If the only major issue is battery than i would rather google give us an option to enable it if we want. That way i could turn it on while im at work.
Fax cus I'm sure that "don't turn off screen if I'm looking at it" feature uses battery and it's ALWAYS ON when you're on your phone if you turn it on. Face ID only on when you use it, how can that even affect battery ?

Reactions: ansh1996

ansh1996

Nononono, wrong approach. You do NOT want to bypass phone security. You want to integrate into it. Android is an open source operating system, just find the code where the 4 included unlock mechanisms are defined (swipe/pattern/pin/password), and add your own in the same way.
Yes that is a better way of looking at it. Thank you for the insight!

Root option to enable a Quick Setting to enable/disable lock - if that's possible?
That would basically mean i have no security when i disable it, only that i would be able to do so faster haha

Fax cus I'm sure that "don't turn off screen if I'm looking at it" feature uses battery and it's ALWAYS ON when you're on your phone if you turn it on. Face ID only on when you use it, how can that even affect battery ?
Yeah but it would only be looking for one thing. Maybe all the battery used on image processing for FaceID adds up over the many unlocks during the course of the day. Thats why i am keen to have it enabled only while I'm at work as the FP works fine in all other circumstances.

Pixel 5 has face ID on one of the custom Roms, can't remember which one though.
Oh, that would definitely be worth taking a look. Ill will try and find out over the weekend if i can. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My security is my phone is always on me. :) I never have left a phone anywhere, lost one, or had one stolen...

I am using Trusted Location. Seems like its working fine. Google 'begs' to have you turn 'on' location function for several of its niceties to work. So security joins the growing pile.
    Trusted location is poor security, for many reasons.

Anyone at the location can unlock your phone, so for most of us it's not a solution.

I am using Trusted Location. Seems like its working fine. Google 'begs' to have you turn 'on' location function for several of its niceties to work. So security joins the growing pile.