• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Factory Data Reset disabled by Kill Switch] Noob trying to unlock bootloader. Very Confused.

Search This thread

Thwwack

Jan 29, 2015
Hi! Thanks for stopping by. So, I bought a V30 VS996 from Ebay. It was carrier locked to verizon, so I thought I'd try to unlock the bootloader on it. and was thinking the whole process would be pretty simple...

I'm now dozens of pages into reading, and honestly, now I'm a bit lost.

I'm on capped internet and have 100kbps downloads right now, so downloading any new files is a bit painful. So I'm hoping someone can just tell me what to do here... I'm afraid to brick my phone... Anyways the situation:

Downloaded and installed LGUP from one of the guides here, flashed US99820h_00_0318.kdz onto the phone, and was caught in a reboot loop. When trying to do the '"Hard Reset" part of the process, I was met with a Factory Data Reset Disabled by Kill Switch screen.

So I have this reboot loop situation, and somehow have now managed to get the phone into USB Firmware Update Mode (this feels like a major victory).

Can anybody tell me which firmware to flash onto the phone to make the phone work again, and point me to a ''dummies' guide? Youtube etc; so I can try doing the whole process again? Do I need to flash this with VS firmware not US firmware or something? ZZZ... maybe I'm just too old and stupid to tangle with phone unlocks now...

Hopefully this all makes sense, and I'm giving the right information...

Thanks in advance for any help!

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
"Carrier Locked" is different from "Bootloader locked". Carrier locking locks the phone down to a particular carrier's SIM card. Unlocking the BL won't fix that. Carriers lock the phone this way because they often sell phones (at least in the USA) with contract plans. They won't unlock the phone until it's paid-off... that way people can't run off with the device to another carrier and stop paying the contract (which covers the cost of the phone).

If you're really carrier locked, then that phone won't work on another carrier (maybe there's some nefarious way to do this, but we can't talk about that here on XDA anyway, and I don't know how those work). So, are you sure you're CARRIER locked?

Thwwack

Jan 29, 2015
So, are you sure you're CARRIER locked?

Thanks for your reply schwinn8, No, I am not sure this is carrier locked. The phone just told me that it wasn't a Verizon sim card when I put mine in, and no connectivity. Is there somewhere I can check if it is really carrier locked? Website etc?

P.S. I tried reflashing the US998 procedure a second time, and somehow this time it worked. Perhaps because the LGUP software was in refurbish mode this time. I don't know.

Thwwack

Jan 29, 2015
Thanks for your reply schwinn8, No, I am not sure this is carrier locked. The phone just told me that it wasn't a Verizon sim card when I put mine in, and no connectivity. Is there somewhere I can check if it is really carrier locked? Website etc?

P.S. I tried reflashing the US998 procedure a second time, and somehow this time it worked. Perhaps because the LGUP software was in refurbish mode this time. I don't know.
Everything is working okay now, and the sim is working. Not sure what happened before, guessing it was a simple problem that was solved by a factory reset. I'll go ahead and delete this thread. Seems redundant now.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

That Verizon phone is not "carrier locked". U.S. carrier Verizon however insists upon giving you a nag warning that you don't have a Verzion SIM card every time you reboot. However, another SIM card will still work. Verizon does that to scare you into thinking it's carrier locked -- something they promised the U.S. FCC they would no longer do (a few years before the V30 was released).

You can solve that by flashing US998 Open Market firmware over your VS996. You will no longer see that nag screen and will actually have more LTE bands.

Reactions: Thwwack

Thwwack

Jan 29, 2015
Ah, I see you fixed the issue.
Thanks for stopping by ChazzMatt 😁 it's kind of like being in the presence of royalty. Got a bit of a kick out of it.

Your amazing guides saw me through, and I now feel like something of an expert. Cheers 👍💪

Not really sure what happened or why it worked that time, I was doing the downgrade in a no cell coverage zone, that could have had something to do with it. The old owner may have remembered to take some protections off it, maybe, or it was just simply the refurbish mode thing...

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Thwwack

Jan 29, 2015
That Verizon phone is not "carrier locked". U.S. carrier Verizon however insists upon giving you a nag warning that you don't have a Verzion SIM card every time you reboot. However, another SIM card will still work. Verizon does that to scare you into thinking it's carrier locked -- something they promised the U.S. FCC they would no longer do (a few years before the V30 was released).

You can solve that by flashing US998 Open Market firmware over your VS996. You will no longer see that nag screen and will actually have more LTE bands.
Pretty classic way to do business. Effective I bet.

The sim definitely didn't work at the time. Might have been something in the settings I didn't know about, or something went haywire with the old owners factory reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Everything is working okay now, and the sim is working. Not sure what happened before, guessing it was a simple problem that was solved by a factory reset. I'll go ahead and delete this thread. Seems redundant now.

Ah, I see you fixed the issue.
    Thanks for stopping by ChazzMatt 😁 it's kind of like being in the presence of royalty. Got a bit of a kick out of it.

Your amazing guides saw me through, and I now feel like something of an expert. Cheers 👍💪

Not really sure what happened or why it worked that time, I was doing the downgrade in a no cell coverage zone, that could have had something to do with it. The old owner may have remembered to take some protections off it, maybe, or it was just simply the refurbish mode thing...