• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

factory data reset is disabled by kill switch lg v30

Search This thread

yahya2110

Nov 9, 2011
AGADIR
hello guys sorry for my english...i recently unlocked the booloader of my v30 h930, but when i try to enter twrp recovery after flashing the image via fastboot comands,i found this frustrating message "factory data reset is disabled by kill switch"...is there any thing to do ?? thanks again

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
hello guys sorry for my english...i recently unlocked the booloader of my v30 h930, but when i try to enter twrp recovery after flashing the image via fastboot comands,i found this frustrating message "factory data reset is disabled by kill switch"...is there any thing to do ?? thanks again
Normally we only see that on U.S. T-Mobile H932 which has crappy McAfee installed. Has to be uninstalled before factory reset or you get that error message. Do you have something like that installed?

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008

Normally we only see that on U.S. T-Mobile H932 which has crappy McAfee installed. Has to be uninstalled before factory reset or you get that error message. Do you have something like that installed?

Personally I have never seen that McAfee stuff on my H932, but maybe it's something you have to deliberately install first.

But we have had others report about this error. As I have posted before, I think it is just "something" (McAfee or whatever) trying to save you from wiping the phone in a way that would trigger Android Factory Reset Protection: The entire point of FRP is to render the phone useless to anyone but the legitimate owner, in case it is wiped from outside the OS while an account is active in the OS. That is a sensible protection. I always wondered why LGs Master Reset (using the buttons) doesn't warn about this before proceeding with its wipe.

But if indeed the error reported by OP is caused by such "protection against unintended triggering of FRP" then the solution should be to remove the Google account in the OS before performing any actions that would wipe the phone outside the OS (LGUP, Master Reset, TWRP etc). Alternatively, perform a Factory Reset from inside the OS first, which also will remove the account in a way that doesn't trigger FRP.

Arguably, this should be mentioned in the various root/WTF/Frankenstein guides, since FRP can have unintended consequences, say in case a user flashes the phone back to stock before selling it or sending it in for repair, and doesn't remove his/her account first. In that case the phone will (or should) demand that the same account be entered on first boot -- and the new owner or repair center would be stuck.

But maybe LGUP Refurbish mode clears FRP, and that's why we don't get more complaints about it...

I apologize if this turns out to be completely unrelated to the error reported by OP :eek:

Last edited:

trouble.

Nov 9, 2017
Don't worry I've been through this problem and solution ia simple.
-Boot the phone in normal.
-Plug in the usb cable in your phone and connect to the computer.
-Then type "adb reboot bootloader". When u boot into fastbooot then type "fasboot boot recovery or whatever u named the file.
-Then u will boot into twrp.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

jorgeaoc

Apr 14, 2013
I bought a V30 on ebay, is a LS998 Frankenstein, the problem is that the installed ROM is the AS998 and not the US998, it has the kill switch problem. Some way to solve it? I can not access fastboot and I can not install the ROM US998 from LGUP. I tried installing the KDZ US998 from LG UP with Partition UP option but it does not boot. Some way to return to the LS998 ROM?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I bought a V30 on ebay, is a LS998 Frankenstein, the problem is that the installed ROM is the AS998 and not the US998, it has the kill switch problem. Some way to solve it? I can not access fastboot and I can not install the ROM US998 from LGUP. I tried installing the KDZ US998 from LG UP with Partition UP option but it does not boot. Some way to return to the LS998 ROM?

There are no public LS998 KDZ available.

Which US998 KDZ did you try? If you read the Frankenstein instructions you need to start with US998 Nougat first.

Yes, of the North America V30 variants, only US998 has full fastboot flash commands.

jorgeaoc

Apr 14, 2013
There are no public LS998 KDZ available.

Which US998 KDZ did you try? If you read the Frankenstein instructions you need to start with US998 Nougat first.

The phone came with the ROM AS99820b (Oreo) :crying:, try to install US99810d and US99820b KDZ. Only the Partition DL option works in the LGUP application, but the phone not boot. The other options show Error: 0x4, Not support cross model download AS998 to US998 . Do you know any way to jump to the US ROM?

Yes, of the North America V30 variants, only US998 has full fastboot flash commands.

Do you know if the previous ways to root the LG G works on the V30?

my.ads0

Dec 6, 2012
Is wiping the system partition the same thing as factory data reset? Will that trigger ye' old kill switch?

I ask, because I've run into the cross-flash warning once before while trying to flash US998 while on VZ996. To get rid of that message, I simply wiped my system partition in TWRP and was then able to use LGUP with the US998 KDZ.

So if you can wipe your system partition, then maybe it will get you to a spot where you can kdz?

jorgeaoc

Apr 14, 2013
I got it!

After many attempts, use a LGUP that I found in the LG G7 forum, the difference is that it was from CLI, restore the KDZ Nougat, when restarting appeared a screen with the android doll and the text without command. The next step was not clear, I pressed all the buttons with different convincing. The phone restarted several times and remained in the same window, in one of those attempts I went to the LG logo and to the initial configuration, the phone was blocked by google. Surely this is the reason why the seller installed the ROM AS998.

Turn off the phone and from LGUP update to the Oreo version. Again the error of blocking by google. On YouTube I found a tutorial to bypass this step. Now I am in the US99820b version. I followed the steps to unlock the bootloader, I had a problem with the USB cable, I must use a good quality cable. The problem of the message "factory data reset is disabled by kill switch" continues, but I can enter TWRP from fastboot.

I will try to install a ROM from TWRP and see if the message disappears.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I got it!

After many attempts, use a LGUP that I found in the LG G7 forum, the difference is that it was from CLI, restore the KDZ Nougat, when restarting appeared a screen with the android doll and the text without command. The next step was not clear, I pressed all the buttons with different convincing. The phone restarted several times and remained in the same window, in one of those attempts I went to the LG logo and to the initial configuration, the phone was blocked by google. Surely this is the reason why the seller installed the ROM AS998.

Turn off the phone and from LGUP update to the Oreo version. Again the error of blocking by google. On YouTube I found a tutorial to bypass this step. Now I am in the US99820b version. I followed the steps to unlock the bootloader, I had a problem with the USB cable, I must use a good quality cable. The problem of the message "factory data reset is disabled by kill switch" continues, but I can enter TWRP from fastboot.

I will try to install a ROM from TWRP and see if the message disappears.

You can also enter TWRP using the Recovery Reboot app I recommend in the WTF instructions.

US998 20B is old (but necessary for bootloader unlock). You should update to US998 20H. Download 20E, 20F, 20G, 20H and dirty flash back-to-back, using TWRP auto queue function -- with flashing Magisk last.

jorgeaoc

Apr 14, 2013
You can also enter TWRP using the Recovery Reboot app I recommend in the WTF instructions.

US998 20B is old (but necessary for bootloader unlock). You should update to US998 20H. Download 20E, 20F, 20G, 20H and dirty flash back-to-back, using TWRP auto queue function -- with flashing Magisk last.

Excellent, I'm going to try LineageOS first, where do I find the 20E, 20F, 20G, 20H zip updates?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Excellent, I'm going to try LineageOS first, where do I find the 20E, 20F, 20G, 20H zip updates?

NO. You need to be on newest firmware before flashing any AOSP/Lineage ROMs due to recent changes. That's where people mess up. They try to go from old Oreo or even Nougat (H932) firmware to custom ROMs. You need foundation of newest firmware. Read post #2 of this sticky:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/root-v30-t3927154

A whole lot of recent posts in Lineage are about people not updating their stock firmware first. :rolleyes:

Here's the US998 KDZ/TWRP-flashable thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/development/us998-lg-v30-us998-us99820a040330-kdz-t3786337

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDannemand

Top Liked Posts