• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Factory reset Pixel 2 XL?

Search This thread

bcsman

Oct 22, 2021
I just bought a used Pixel 2 XL and it is really in great shape. It came with Android 11 installed and I'm not so sure I like it. If I do a factory reset will it go back to the Android version that was installed new, think 8 or 9? Or will it just wipe things and come back with Android 11? I'm somewhat confused on what the term factory reset implies. Thanks....

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
A factory reset completely wipes the data partition of the device, resulting in a device with no apps when you reboot. The phone retains the version of Android it currently has. So long as yours is NOT a Verizon unit you can use a factory image from Google and fastboot commands to install an older version of Android. If you have a Verizon device you're SOL.

bcsman

Oct 22, 2021
OK thank you for clearing that up for me. Mine is the Google version so I will have that option to install older versions....I will need to do some research here for instructions. I believe it is unlocked already so that helps the process....