Factory reset recovery

Search This thread

cymro24

Apr 14, 2021
Hi
I factory reset my Samsung A300 few days back but I need my photos recovered. Nothing was backed up. I have tried dumpster app no luck and I have downloaded a recovery software on my laptop to connect phone to but it says it needs rooting? I have tried downloading kingoroot apk on phone but nothing seems to happen . Any help please to get back my photos

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
Hi
I factory reset my Samsung A300 few days back but I need my photos recovered. Nothing was backed up. I have tried dumpster app no luck and I have downloaded a recovery software on my laptop to connect phone to but it says it needs rooting? I have tried downloading kingoroot apk on phone but nothing seems to happen . Any help please to get back my photos
Sorry if u did a factory reset than all of your photos are gone with no way on recovering them however if u backup the photos using google photos Facebook or if u transfer them to your computer before doing a factory reset the photos still should be their

Reactions: blackhawk

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Nothing will get that data back and even if you could it's juxtaposed in a million pieces.
A data recovery $ervice might be able to recover some of it if its not already overwritten.
No, factory reset in recovery is a formatting process, not a deletion process. "Deleted" data can be retrieved but "formatted" data can not be retrieved, bits of the formatted data can be retrieved but none of the files will be complete, they will all be corrupted and unreadable.

Reactions: franta0

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    No, factory reset in recovery is a formatting process, not a deletion process. "Deleted" data can be retrieved but "formatted" data can not be retrieved, bits of the formatted data can be retrieved but none of the files will be complete, they will all be corrupted and unreadable.

My point exactly. That remaining data isn't easily accessible for internal memory and even then of little use.

The only way to prevent critical data lose is to redundantly back it up. Some of my data has 5 backup copies, all on separate hdds in different locations. Cloud backup isn't enough; you need hard copies and all hdds need to be recopied every 5 years minimum. They should preferably be enterprise class hdds. Do Not password protect them.
    DO NOT CLONE data drives, copy them always.
    If you lose the null spacing on the data it can damage some files.

Reactions: Droidriven

franta0

Apr 15, 2021
    Hi
    Unfortunately, there's nothing left to do. You can try to root the phone and try to recover it, if you value these photos so much, but I can't guarantee you the data is not already rewritten.

Last edited:

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    So what your saying then the opposite of lots of posts out there on Google is I can't get this data back after reset ?
    A Factory Reset reformats phone's internal storage memory, designating the old data on it as logically deleted. “Logically” is the key word here. It means that the pieces of data are not permanently erased ( i.e. erased to 0 ), means writing over them has been made possible. In Windows OS it's called Quick Format.
    However, it's proven that user files are easy to recover after a Factory Reset as long as they didn't get overwritten, even with off-the-shelf forensics apps.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    A Factory Reset reformats phone's internal storage memory, designating the old data on it as logically deleted. “Logically” is the key word here. It means that the pieces of data are not permanently erased ( i.e. overwritten with zero bytes or similar ), means writing over them has been made possible.
    However, it's proven that user files are easy to recover after a Factory Reset as long as they didn't get overwritten, even with off-the-shelf forensics apps.
    If you're not rooted can you access them with software?
    No guarentee the critical files weren't overwritten and I do mean files because the folder structure is already destroyed.

Even if you were able to, a jigsaw puzzle of disjionted files not worth the time it would take to reconstruct. Jpeg's missing their exif data alone quickly become a headache best forgotten if not that important.
    One corrupted flash card for about a hundred RAW images on it taught me some things are better left dead🤣

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    HTC Thunderbolt
    So what your saying then the opposite of lots of posts out there on Google is I can't get this data back after reset ?
    No, data recovery is definitely possible in certain cases, but not in the case of the data being formatted, this is a completely different type of wipe at a deeper, more thorough level than in the case of the data being simply deleted.

Deleted data actually still exists in its full form after being deleted, it is merely "tagged" or "marked" so that the system ignores the data, or more specifically, it ignores the physical storage space where that data is stored until such a time that the system needs that space to write "new" data to be stored. That data can be retrieved by removing the "tag" or "mark" so that the data can read, but only if the physical storage space where that data was stored has not been overwritten by new data.

Factory reset, on the other hand, is an actual physical wipe of the entire physical storage space/partition where said data is stored. This physical wipe, in effect, digitally "shreds" or maybe another analogy would be that it scrambles the data like a blender so that the data is disjointed and out of order so that it is torn apart and no longer readable because the ties that united the data into its cohesive, useable file associations have been torn apart.

It "might", and I strongly stress the word "might", be possible to retrieve the data but it would be a gargantuan task to completely decipher the recovered data in a manner that would allow you to stitch the random bits of data back into their original files. A difficult and virtually impossible task even for the best of the best digital and cryptographic forensic investigators.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    No, data recovery is definitely possible in certain cases, but not in the case of the data being formatted, this is a completely different type of wipe at a deeper, more thorough level than in the case of the data being simply deleted.

Deleted data actually still exists in its full form after being deleted, it is merely "tagged" or "marked" so that the system ignores the data, or more specifically, it ignores the physical storage space where that data is stored until such a time that the system needs that space to write "new" data to be stored. That data can be retrieved by removing the "tag" or "mark" so that the data can read, but only if the physical storage space where that data was stored has not been overwritten by new data.

Factory reset, on the other hand, is an actual physical wipe of the entire physical storage space/partition where said data is stored. This physical wipe, in effect, digitally "shreds" the data so that it is torn apart and no longer readable.
    So a factory reset toggles all the logic gates back to zero?
    I didn't think it have enough time to do that even with flash memory.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    HTC Thunderbolt
    So a factory reset toggles all the logic gates back to zero?
    I didn't think it have enough time to do that even with flash memory.
    I'm not certain on that, I'm not versed at that deep of a level in exactly what is going on at the bit by bit level during the format process. I would assume it would not be able to wipe the physical space to the point of being "virgin" space the way it was before any kind of data was ever written to that physical space. "Something" more than likely remains unless you get into deeper levels of formatting or "nuking" the storage space with multiple formatting passes layer by layer. Even then, some kind of data would remain but nothing could ever be pieced back together in any kind of manner. Similar to trying to piece a paper book back together after each page, word and letter have been physically cut apart from each other, you'd only have a vast collection of individual letters with nothing to guide you to tell which letters went with which letters to even form the words they formerly spelled on the page, to piece a paragraph or even a page together would be infinitely more impossible than piecing just a single word back together.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I'm not certain on that, I'm not versed at that deep of a level in exactly what is going on at the bit by bit level during the format process. I would assume it would not be able to wipe the physical space to the point of being "virgin" space the way it was before any kind of data was ever written to that physical space. "Something" more than likely remains unless you get into deeper levels of formatting or "nuking" the storage space with multiple formatting passes layer by layer. Even then, some kind of data would remain but nothing could ever be pieced back together in any kind of manner. Similar to trying to piece a paper book back together after each page, word and letter have been physically cut apart from each other, you'd only have a vast collection of individual letters with nothing to guide you to tell which letters went with which letters to even form the words they formerly spelled on the page, to piece a paragraph or even a page together would be infinitely more impossible than piecing just a single word back together.
    I'm not sure either my guess is it destroys the indexing system. Files but not folders may still exist intact. Like a quick format for a hdd.

I know when I do a low level format on a flash card it takes some time. A .5tb flash drive takes much longer to low level format than a factory reset takes.

All this reminds me of the Fred Gwynn line in Pet Cemetery: "Some things are better left dead."
    Many times data recovery turns into a horror tale🤣

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I'm not sure either my guess is it destroys the indexing system. Files but not folders may still exist intact. Like a quick format for a hdd.

I know when I do a low level format on a flash card it takes some time. A .5tb flash drive takes much longer to low level format than a factory reset takes.

All this reminds me of the Fred Gwynn line in Pet Cemetery: "Some things are better left dead."
    Many times data recovery turns into a horror tale🤣
    If you were to use something like DBAN(Derek's boot and nuke) to run its highest level of secure wipe, it would take many hours to wipe a 5TB drive, possibly even days. There is another higher level of secure wipe that can be achieved by using a certain paid software(I don't remember the name off the top of my head), it could take up to a week or more.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    If you were to use something like DBAN(Derek's boot and nuke) to run its highest level of secure wipe, it would take many hours to wipe a 5TB drive, possibly even days. There is another higher level of secure wipe that can be achieved by using a certain paid software(I don't remember the name off the top of my head), it could take up to a week or more.
    The most I'll do is a zero fill and yeah that takes a while for hdds. On flash drives I think a low level format wipes everything, it can recover an unreadable drive. It's not a secure wipe though.

For hdds the 5# sledge hammer erase can do a secure mil spec zero out in less then 30 seconds🤣

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      That's correct.

Android's Factory Reset performs a Quick format ( as one knows it from Windows OS ): it does "delete" files from the ext4 formatted partition named /sdcard and rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size. It's not the real sense of formatting.

That means that Factory Reset format doesn't really erase all the data: they can get recovered unless they got overwritten.
      Well, if you want to use the recovery software, root is necessary. There is no other way.

Factory reset, on the other hand, is an actual physical wipe of the entire physical storage space/partition where said data is stored. This physical wipe, in effect, digitally "shreds" or maybe another analogy would be that it scrambles the data like a blender so that the data is disjointed and out of order so that it is torn apart and no longer readable because the ties that united the data into its cohesive, useable file associations have been torn apart.

It "might", and I strongly stress the word "might", be possible to retrieve the data but it would be a gargantuan task to completely decipher the recovered data in a manner that would allow you to stitch the random bits of data back into their original files. A difficult and virtually impossible task even for the best of the best digital and cryptographic forensic investigators.
      A Factory Reset reformats phone's internal storage memory, designating the old data on it as logically deleted. “Logically” is the key word here. It means that the pieces of data are not permanently erased ( i.e. erased to 0 ), means writing over them has been made possible. In Windows OS it's called Quick Format.
      So how do I root the phone to see if I can find the data .
      Rooting a phone's Android requires phone's bootloader gets unlocked before, what causes a complete data loss ( again ). So I think you can forget this. But it's you to waste your time with this.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone