Factory Reset

Search This thread

y2grae

Nov 12, 2010
Coventry
Can we factory reset one slot only? or does it do both?

I've got stock/root/magisk/elx on slot A, and thinking of trying a custom ROM on slot b.

could I reset slot B only to do this without upsetting slot A?

or would it be total reset, then install ROM on slot B and then redo stock on slot A?

I have a feeling it's the total reset, but would prefer not to lose what I have on slot A if possible

alluringreality

Apr 17, 2011
My understanding is that a factory data reset primarily affects userdata, since changes to other partitions were typically unaffected by a factory data reset on my prior phone. As noted in the following link, this phone only has one userdata, which is shared by the two slots. If you factory data reset the Pixel my expectation is for the userdata partition to be reset, so you will lose user apps, app data, and other user settings. I'd expect the slots to likely to be largely unaffected by a factory data reset, so whatever you have on slots A and B will probably remain through a factory data reset. I'm not familiar enough with Magisk and ElementalX to know if there are any parts of either install that goes to userdata, which might be wiped out with a factory data reset.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...-partition-changes-and-new-fastboot-commands/

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
I don't think slots A and B allow you to run different Roms on each slot like dual booting on a computer because when you install a Rom on one slot it also installs some information on the other slot. They weren't really designed for what you want to use the slots for. It's possible you would be able to boot into different Roms if you installed one in slot a and a different one in slot b but I suspect there would be other problems once you did so. If you try this you should post your results.

y2grae

Nov 12, 2010
Coventry
I don't think slots A and B allow you to run different Roms on each slot like dual booting on a computer because when you install a Rom on one slot it also installs some information on the other slot. They weren't really designed for what you want to use the slots for. It's possible you would be able to boot into different Roms if you installed one in slot a and a different one in slot b but I suspect there would be other problems once you did so. If you try this you should post your results.

I've got non rooted stock on slot b and slot a has rooted stock.

I'm sure i've read previously that someone has a rom on one slot and stock on the other, but it's hard to narrow that down in the search...

if anyone does have a dual booted pixel/xl then that would be great to know

toknitup420

Jan 8, 2011
boston

I'm sure i've read previously that someone has a rom on one slot and stock on the other, but it's hard to narrow that down in the search...

I believe you can only run the same base on both slots due to the fact that they share a data partition. I don't think you can run stock on one and aosp on the other.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach

Yea I'm setup to dual boot. You have to have same in each slot. So you can have pn rooted in one and pn unrooted in other. Or stock and stock rooted. Anything different and u get errors like crazy.

Reactions: y2grae

y2grae

Nov 12, 2010
Coventry
Yea I'm setup to dual boot. You have to have same in each slot. So you can have pn rooted in one and pn unrooted in other. Or stock and stock rooted. Anything different and u get errors like crazy.

Cheers Mac, was thinking of trying either unholy or one of the other slightly different varients, but if it's going to error to hell and back... not worth it

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
Cheers Mac, was thinking of trying either unholy or one of the other slightly different varients, but if it's going to error to hell and back... not worth it

It'll work with Unholy it should work with any of them just got to make sure and have that same one in the other slot

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
Here's what the modified flash all bat looks like. Sorry not the best picture. After u flash just change everything from a to b. Then after you flash stock to both slots , you can boot TWRP and flash whatever custom ROMs u want to both slots

Attachments

• 26F7E1E893764245BD41DE2DC54E7042.png
    26F7E1E893764245BD41DE2DC54E7042.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 33

y2grae

Nov 12, 2010
Coventry
Here's what the modified flash all bat looks like. Sorry not the best picture. After u flash just change everything from a to b. Then after you flash stock to both slots , you can boot TWRP and flash whatever custom ROMs u want to both slots

Ah, no. I want to keep my rooted/stock/elemental on slot A and put a custom Rom on slot B

slot B is currently just stock. (probably/possibly without ele as it should only flash to the slot in question from my understanding)

y2grae

Nov 12, 2010
Coventry
I have not seen anyone pull that off. They are not fully seperate slots, its not a full dual boot system. Quite a few items a common between the two slots.

that's a shame, but thanks for the response.

what's the "shared" area of it then?

i know user data would be, as i've got the same info on both boots

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.