failed rooting, glowlight not working. HELP!

Search This thread

marya.a

Nov 3, 2013
Install failed

Hey, I'm worried. I wrote the downloaded "part 1" img but when I turn the nook on says on the screen "install failed" :S
how can I fix it up?

Some weeks ago I deleted the partitions of my nook simple touch and thats the first time since there that the nook works.
Is there any problem if my nook is simple touch and the downloaded image is from nook glowlight?

Does anybody has an image from a simple touch one?
PLEASE!!

marya.a

Nov 3, 2013
the "part 1" image is only 79mb, is should not be 1.82 or something like that? is there part 2?
)=

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Partition 1 (mmcblk0p1) is the boot partition.
You can get a copy of that from anyone.
The Nook Simple Touch and the Glow use the same software since version 1.2

You should use noogie and Win32DiskImager or roadkill or something to copy the complete image.
If you use standard Window components it will only copy what it can see, which is the first partition.
You really want the second partition (mmcblk0p2) which is /rom which has your personal and device specific config.
A 79 Meg backup will not include /rom.
A 1.9-whatever Gigabyte backup will include /rom

Last edited:

marya.a

Nov 3, 2013
Partition 1 (mmcblk0p1) is the boot partition.
You can get a copy of that from anyone.
The Nook Simple Touch and the Glow use the same software since version 1.2

You should use noogie and Win32DiskImager or roadkill or something to copy the complete image.
If you use standard Window components it will only copy what it can see, which is the first partition.
You really want the second partition (mmcblk0p2) which is /rom which has your personal and device specific config.
A 79 Meg nackup will not include /rom.
A 1.9-whatever Gigabyte backup will include /rom

EXACTLY!, but where can I find the part2? how can I get the rest of the rooms? :/ and how to make a only one image? I dont care if it has personal info, i just want to recover my nook t_t

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
EXACTLY!, but where can I find the part2?
There are lots of ways to do this, here is one way.

Put noogie on an SD card and boot off that.
Use Win32DiskImager and save a full ~1.9GB image of whatever is on your Nook.

Put ClockWork Recovery on an SD card and boot off that.
Connect with ADB over USB and use the shell.
Use fdisk and delete all the partitions.
Use nookpart.sh to create all the partitions.
Reboot
Connect with ADB over USB and use the shell.
ls -l /rom
Got anything there?
adb pull /rom
Now you have copies of the files in /rom on your desktop.

Check if you can mount all the partitions using CWR "mounts and storage".
All ok?

Get the latest 1.2.1 update.
Push it onto the sdcard
"install zip from sdcard"

marya.a

Nov 3, 2013
thank you
but, what do you mean with "nookpart.sh?
what is adb shell? I installed that but I don't know what it's.

I had tried another instructions too i.e : rooted with noogie I plugged the nook to the pc and I opened the minitool partition wizard and I cliked "partitio recovery" and I "recover" all my lost partition but when I check out my device at "computer" nook device just has "boot" part, nothing else, :S but minitool says IT HAS THEM. :s I dont understand. Do you think my nook still has a solution u__u?

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I'm not familiar with minitool.
In any case, Windows can normally only mount a single partition off a UMS (um, like a flash drive or a Nook).
So you are not going to be able to simply see things by typing "dir k:".

You need to get CWR and ADB working.
The ADB shell allows you to type commands directly to the Nook.
This is all covered about a hundred times here.
Start here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/BN_Nook_Simple_Touch/Installing_ADB

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
thank you
but, what do you mean with "nookpart.sh?
what is adb shell? I installed that but I don't know what it's.

I had tried another instructions too i.e : rooted with noogie I plugged the nook to the pc and I opened the minitool partition wizard and I cliked "partitio recovery" and I "recover" all my lost partition but when I check out my device at "computer" nook device just has "boot" part, nothing else, :S but minitool says IT HAS THEM. :s I dont understand. Do you think my nook still has a solution u__u?
Windows will only mount the first partition for you to see at "computer". That's just a silly Windows quirk. MiniTool is a partition editor and bypasses the Windows silliness and can see all the partitions on removable media. So you have all your partitions back - that's good. Now make a backup of where you are at before you do anything else. And make sure it is ~1.9GB. Then get CWR & ADB working and pull your ROM partition as Renate advised.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Glow Backup Image

I have a backup image of a NSTG that I am uploading right now ... and looks like it just finished. Here it is:

dl[dot]dropbox[dot]com/u/98836278/nook-glow-backup.img

When you have the image downloaded follow these instructions:

blog[dot]the-ebook-reader[dot]com/2012/05/02/how-to-backup-and-restore-nook-glow-and-nook-simple-touch/

As a new user I am not allowed to post outside links.
    Hi,
    I've tried everything found in all posts but I couldn't have adb connected jet. At your one off your tread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34453016#post34453016, I found that you think it could be possible recover nook with someone image and serial number.
    I have serial number (original package) and I have my nook MAC address (written in my router). But, as you know, I haven't image. What's next?
    Let me underline that I ___think___ it is possible - that is to be understood as there is a slight chance that this actually might work, but you will be running a big risk and once you have tried your Nook will be even harder to recover than it is now. From what I understand you have "only" deleted the partition table, but not actually overwritten your SD card - that is, you may still have a change of saving your rom. Let me stress again: To try this approach you need to be desperate and acknowledge the fact that your Nook probably never is going to work again.

If this did not scare you off, you probably are pretty desperate in which case I can provide you with an image of my nook with an empty rom partition and without recovery zip files. I will not have the time to make the image tonight since I have quite a few things I need to do. I have had a look at the rom partition and it just contains some random text strings - among others your mac address and your serial number. However, chances are that some of these numbers are checksums for the others. In fact, this is very likely since you do not want it to be easy to change the serial number of a device. Thus, what one could do is first to try just to change these numbers to see if the device still works after that. If not, one would have to figure what is checksum for what and how it is all connected - this is probably not an easy task.

Again, I would strongly encourage you to put an outmost effort into recovering your rom before choosing this route. That being said I am willing to help you as much as I can, but please keep in mind that I am a n00b who less than 10 days ago broke my own Nook (even if it is recovered now), I have no idea what I am taking about and I take absolutely no responsibility for any additional damage your Nook might suffer from my help.

Out of curiosity, could you summarise what you did to get ADB to work?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Did you try this tutorial from yesterday?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2004630

It seems to be much more what you want to do, than overwriting your entire SD.