We might also have other options (like hosting the EPO ourself) but I think it is necessary to also understand that MTK is also trying. I think we will be able to fix this with MTK.
No need to host the epo file yourself. please have a look at this post:
The ftp download server is hard coded in com/mediatek/epo/MtkEpoClientManagerService.smali (/system/framework/mediatek-framework.odex).
This patch changes the address from epo.mediatek.com
and the download method from ftp to http which gives a perfect download speed with success on the first try.
Nevertheless I cannot see any improvements in TTFF with a fresh epo.dat file and EPO enabled.
I did some more testing with a build that fixed the EPO download. What I did was to disable APGS and test EPO based quickfix only. While EPO data will remain valid for way longer (one month v.s. 4 hours for AGPS data) getting an initial fix is slower (e.g. 45 seconds) v.s. a few seconds up to 15 with AGPS.
-Enabling EPO can be useful when going on a roadtrip but expect a slower fix (e.g. 45 seconds)
-Using AGPS is critical to get good performance.(fix within 15 seconds).
-Disabling EPO is the thing to do when you are connected
*note/bugs*: It looks like just disabling EPO is not enough to get a quicker fix is you enabled EPO previousely. You also need to remove the EPO files (/data/misc/EPO.DAT and /data/misc/EPOHAL.DAT) to experience the AGPS quickfix.