• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery without a PC

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Now updated and working!

Note: The recommended install method for fake-flash is now 'ROM Manager' on the Android Market.

Koush and I have been working on / stumbling through getting recovery running on a Legend without using a PC for devices rooted with a test image. The same technique also applies to the Desire... and after a lot of work and debugging... presenting...

fake-flash!

Fake-flash using a similar concept to the original root method, it launches a recovery image from the test image recovery, but instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card. Here's how it works...

Preperation
  • Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
  • Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)
When you want to launch the recovery image
  • Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
  • When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
  • Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
  • That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch! :)
Neat eh?

DOWNLOAD

Just to caveat this initial release, we've yet to carry out extensive testing and you are constrained somewhat by the limitations of the stock kernel (e.g. no support for EXT4).

That's it for now... enjoy... i'll update this post as further advances are made. If you'd like to support Koush's work, consider buying 'ROM Manager Premium' from the Android Market.

P

Last edited:

willcaddy

May 22, 2010
Worcester
Failed

ive got the same problem. error in /sdcard/update.zip

installation abborted :confused:

Could this be due to not having the test image on my phone? as i am running the MoDaCo 2.3 Rom without A2SD.

Help! i was really looking forward to this :D

Thanks All :D

Will :cool:

Last edited:

UltimoJedi

May 23, 2008
The first LADcity in the world
To someone this procedure works? :confused:
From that that I have understood it is not the FakeFlash of the Desire of the Legend?
And accordingly on the Legend it doesn't work (at least on my Device :))

Would like us a FakeFlash I suit for the legend :rolleyes:

lyka

Sep 22, 2004
Rome
www.lykaion.it
I cannot make it work.

Just like other i receive this error:
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

in the modaco topic (http://android.modaco.com/content/h...unching-recovery-on-your-device-without-a-pc/) is written in bold:

Note: The recommended install method for fake-flash is now 'ROM Manager' on the Android Market.

I tried but ROM Manager:
Clicked on "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
it pops up a selection Menu with "Confirm Phone Model" (the only option is HTC Legend)
then it downloads the fake-flash recovery e returns me "Successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery".

When i try to reboot in recovery (trough ROM MANAGER options) i receive a blackscreen with a device in background and a question mark. After some seconds it restarts.

:( Help!

vadatte

Jun 3, 2008
I test and....works perfectly. We have now recovery directly from the Legend :D
I install now ROM Cyanogen 6.0.0a build 19 and works perfectly.
Thanks
V.

Last edited:

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
I get the same error

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

but then I just tapped with a finger on my screen and the menu shows and I can aplay update.zip. And it works great!!! Thank you Paul and Koush!!! :)

snakehult

Jun 8, 2010
Nice!!

Backup works also

Super!!!

Now I can change between my favorite ROMs without computer.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top Liked Posts