[FAQ] Asus T100: Installing custom OS (android/ubuntu/*nix/Windows 7/Windows 8 x64)

Search This thread

Dr. Hurt

• Jan 31, 2012
    Cairo
    ONLY FOR DEVS:

1- I don't have the device. I wanted to get one but I'm reconsidering after seeing this.
    2- I won't get into too many details. Only experiment with this if you have the skills.
    3- It'll be much easier if you have Mac OS X

The Hackintosh bootloader Clover can load on a 32-bit BIOS system and emulate a 64-bit UEFI.

From there, provided that the correct filesystem modules are installed into Clover, it can load 64-bit Windows (bootx64.efi) and Linux (kernel stub or grub.efi) natively.

What you need to do is download Clover, install it to a USB stick, boot from it and its all yours from there.

Good Luck :)

EDIT:
    After further research, I found that the devs behind android-x86 have made builds containing 32-bit UEFI support specifically for the Asus T100. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/j-iKHx23hMg
    Unfortunately though, there appears to be issues with the display (most probably due to the older kernel used).

I'd expect the Asus T100 to be fully supported by some future update to android-x86

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ray_Rx

diablow

May 8, 2011
    After further research, I found that the devs behind android-x86 have made builds containing 32-bit UEFI support specifically for the Asus T100. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/j-iKHx23hMg
    Unfortunately though, there appears to be issues with the display (most probably due to the older kernel used).

I'd expect the Asus T100 to be fully supported by some future update to android-x86

Yes, currently the main issue is hardware support. I wonder, why we cannot use vanilla latest kernel with android-x86?

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
    Feb 9, 2011
    Dunedin
    Yes, currently the main issue is hardware support. I wonder, why we cannot use vanilla latest kernel with android-x86?

Unfortunately the vanilla Linux kernel still doesn't have 100% Android support. It lacks some components (don't ask what, I don't know), so Android won't work on it. Hence why the latest Android kernel I think is 3.10, or maybe it's slightly newer.

ArpX

Jun 16, 2010
    Hi, I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to write the ubuntu image to a usb drive and mount it writeable in linux? Because it always mounts the type as ISO9960 or something like that which simply does not have write support. I did it in windows, but I would like to do this completely in linux. Or is there a simple way to put the bootia32.efi file into the ubuntu iso image?

2. I managed to boot ubuntu 14.10 to the desktop from the live usb stick, but I noticed that the camera light was always an ... does that mean that the camera was recording or at least capturing? Why? Or is this a bug?

Thx.

Reactions: pierro78

diablow

May 8, 2011

Alex Atkin UK

Jan 4, 2007

I can report that this build initially seems to work quite well. Its slow to boot but runs fast once it has, although I did get a black screen when I went to Settings, Battery so its certainly not entirely stable.

It also sucks that being a live version it doesn't save anything you do, annoying as I have a 16GB USB stick that I could entirely dedicate to this. But I was pleased to find Google Apps and the ARM translator already installed on there. I only tested My Little Pony as its known to run poorly even on my Note 3, but it seemed fairly comparable - which makes sense as the Note 3 benchmarks just slightly faster than the T100.

Now if I could adjust the image to use the rest of the empty space on my USB stick for storage I could do some proper testing. Unfortunately I know nothing about the inner working of Android and when I look at mounts the complexity of its filesystem structure makes my eyes glaze over.

Having only the 32GB model of the T100 its going to be pretty hard to free up enough space to install Android on the eMMC and I'm afraid of mucking up the Windows install, so USB would be preferred, at least until its stable enough to not have to constantly update it.

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Tried the T100 build on my Encore which has the same Bay Trail processor but runs at 1280x800. After the console text during boot the screen goes blank, but if I hook up HDMI I can get a picture there and the touchscreen seems to be working. Besides that hardware compatibility seems to be the same as the T100 except wifi doesn't work.

Alex Atkin UK

Jan 4, 2007
    A few more observations:

WiFi on 5Ghz seems much more flaky than 2.4Ghz, it doesn't always work. Then again that has been the case on the Galaxy Note 2 and 3 too, so I wonder if its a flaw in Android itself.

I booted up then left the T100 until it went to sleep. Woke up with the keyboard and it would no longer connect to WiFi even though it shows all broadcasting SSIDs.

Several random hard locks requiring a long LONG press of the power button to get out of. Possibly the graphics driver as on at least one occasion I was dragging the notification tray down over an app that I'm fairly sure was GPU accelerated.

Doesn't exactly benchmark that well but I'm not sure how the T100 GPU is supposed to compare to the Note 3 but I would expect it to be more powerful not half the score. Then again I have no idea if this is running x86 or ARM so it might be held back with the ARM translation layer:
    Nu-YKf077G0IkpxW1QkYfxBSbMLssLh3qq56cVG3z3c=w474-h207-p-no

Geekbench 3 just force closes so cannot test.

KNACK'S Quest runs fine unless you try to sign in to PSN which crashes the app when you return. This is interesting however as that is one game that isn't even playable on Genymotion as it runs at about 2fps. So seeing it run playable on the ARM translation on a weaker platform is curious, it must be something about their OpenGL layer that is broken.

Its pretty hard to test anything extensively when you get hard locks and you have to reset the configuration and reinstall all apps on each boot. :crying:

Last edited:

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
    Im booting windows android and ubuntu from dock with drive i can use either 32v or 64

windows android and ubuntu im booting 3 os right now 3 native oss but all on the dock the keyboard that came with 500gig drive witch was the 32gig version but like i said i can use either one on the keyboard with hardrive

7911d1411427145-t100ta-android-dual-boot-beta-img-cwhuang-img_20140922_190033.jpg

just saying loving this so far

Last edited:

jonpry

Apr 22, 2010
    Iconia8 source

I started messing with 3.17 kernel to see if anything works better. Had lots of trouble getting my kconfig correct of all things, but looks like some positive progress. 3.17 combined with some code i ripped from iconia8 gives me 100% good wifi and also the eMMC is working much better and is now in HS200 mode. Apparently chip can not enter C6 during eMMC write. This is very difficult to ensure using acpi_idle driver. I have something hacked together by accessing /dev/cpu_dma_latency but it wastes a lot of power and isn't a permanent solution.

If only I could get backlight control to work :/ Would also be nice to have the two finger scroll function. No scroll on the small screen is a serious pain.

Edit:

Have a reasonable solution to the c6 wake lock. Also got some backlight control working. Can adjust, still missing stuff for completely turning it off/on. Code here on top of vanilla 3.17. https://github.com/jonpry/t100_patches Doesn't include battery, everything else works pretty good. I wrote couple hundred GB to eMMC without error. No problems with wifi either. I think there is one more eMMC patch we need but only effects samsung chips which i apparently don't have. Use included kconfig or you will have problems!

Last edited:

Scayris

Feb 14, 2014
    Ljubljana
    Firstly, thanks for your work, I am very happy to see that things are moving along with T100.

I have tried to apply the patches and compile kernel earlier today, but I kept getting failed hunks while attempting to patch. I tried to compile the kernel anyway (using provided kconfig) but it exited halfway with Error 2. Sources used are 3.17 off of kernel.org and I ran the standard
    Code:
    $ patch -p1 < ../3.17.patch
    Any idea what could be going wrong?

jonpry

Apr 22, 2010
    Firstly, thanks for your work, I am very happy to see that things are moving along with T100.

I have tried to apply the patches and compile kernel earlier today, but I kept getting failed hunks while attempting to patch. I tried to compile the kernel anyway (using provided kconfig) but it exited halfway with Error 2. Sources used are 3.17 off of kernel.org and I ran the standard
    Code:
    $ patch -p1 < ../3.17.patch
    Any idea what could be going wrong?

No ideas off hand. Maybe post the output of patch? Your command looks good and I know at least one other person managed to apply the set. To make it i downloaded a clean tarball from kernel.org, ran git commit, copy my local source tree, git add ....., git dif --cached, so i dunno why it would not apply to 3.17

Scayris

Feb 14, 2014
    Ljubljana
    No ideas off hand. Maybe post the output of patch? Your command looks good and I know at least one other person managed to apply the set. To make it i downloaded a clean tarball from kernel.org, ran git commit, copy my local source tree, git add ....., git dif --cached, so i dunno why it would not apply to 3.17

I've never patched the kernel before, so even though I did some research before my attempt it's not out of the question that the error is on my part :p
    Anyway, I removed the patch and ran it again, here's the output (including reject files): http://pastebin.com/ryJyMHJy

jonpry

Apr 22, 2010
    I've never patched the kernel before, so even though I did some research before my attempt it's not out of the question that the error is on my part :p
    Anyway, I removed the patch and ran it again, here's the output (including reject files): http://pastebin.com/ryJyMHJy

It seems something is wrong with your vanilla source. Maybe it is not 3.17?

Your first error is:
    Code:
    patching file drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 1691 (offset 67 lines)

The first patch hunk is:
    Code:
    +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h
    @@ -1624,6 +1624,9 @@ struct drm_i915_private {
     	 * NOTE: This is the dri1/ums dungeon, don't add stuff here. Your patch

And one can clearly see that in the source on line 1624
    https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/k.../drm/i915/i915_drv.h?id=refs/tags/v3.17#n1624
    is the correct thing. Not offset 67 lines. So something wrong with your vanilla source. I couldn't find any kernel versions with that
    line at 1691. Not sure exactly how it happened.

Scayris

Feb 14, 2014
    Ljubljana
    Huuh.. I just cloned the source with git.. Dunno what went wrong there. Guess I'll just grab the tarball once I get home and try with that. Thanks!

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact using XDA Free mobile app

jonpry

Apr 22, 2010
    Huuh.. I just cloned the source with git.. Dunno what went wrong there. Guess I'll just grab the tarball once I get home and try with that. Thanks!

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact using XDA Free mobile app

Your probably not on the right branch or tag of the git. Try git checkout v3.17

jonpry

Apr 22, 2010
    Yep, that's what I was missing, thanks! Compiling it now and I'll let you know how it works as soon as I manage to try it out.

There is also new patch with backlight poweroff/on. This is almost more useful than the adjustment.

Edit: Even newer patch that fixes eMMC corruption. eMMC now 100% imho. could be a little faster/lower power and done with better code, but at least it works 100%

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      [4 April 2014]I haven't had time to play with my device or update fully the info in this post
      Jhong2 has an updated post on how to get ubuntu working on the Asus T100
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51291244&postcount=181
      http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/perfect-ubuntu-or-other-linux-on-the-asus-transformer-book-t100/

(do search for the specific topic headers to jump to them)
      Post 1: Global Info
      UEFI:
      Bootloader auto-detection path:
      Secure Boot
      Partition Table for Live USB sticks:
      How to boot from USB stick
      Info for various operating systems:
      Hardware info:
      /cpu/cpuinfo:

Post 2: <backup/ archived infomation>

Post 3: Files
      grub2 2.00-13ubuntu3 (13.04 raring sources) compiled for grub-efi-ia32 (x86) - bootia32​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Global information
      for BIOS 214 (2013.09.25), version loaded on retail T100 units

UEFI:

Bootloader auto-detection path:
      (bootloader is only 32-bit compatible)
      /efi/BOOT/bootia32.efi
      WILL NOT pick up the x64 location /efi/BOOT/bootx64.efi

Secure Boot

You should disable Secure Boot in UEFI/Setup-Utility-Menu-> Security tab-> Secure Boot Menu -> Disable

Partition Table for Live USB sticks:
      GPT or MBR works
      Use Rufus (works for Windows/Unix ISOs) or Windows 7 USB Download Tool (works for Windows 7 / Windows 8)

How to boot from USB stick

NOTE:

If you don't see the USB drive on the boot list or the UEFI/Setup-utility, this means you have a badly prepped USB live drive, or the boot-list/UEFI/Setup-utility was loaded before the USB drive was read.
      If you are on the boot list, boot into UEFI/Setup-utility. Then, go to the last tab, save changes and restart while holding F2 (to force the next reboot to go back into UEFI/Setup-utility). If you still don't see the USB drive after doing this multiple times, then you have a badly prepped USB drive.

I find using Rufus (GPT for UEFI + FAT + 64 kb+ bootable disk using ISO Image) to consistently get a working bootable USB drive

Option 1a) Boot to UEFI USB drive from Windows (works only if your USB is correctly prepped)
      1. Boot into Windows
      2. Swipe from right, click on settings.
      3. Click on Power. Press and hold the shift key, and then click on Restart
      4. A Blue menu should show up. Click on Use a device->click on the device name (might not show up if USB isn't prepped properly)
      5. Device should reboot into the USB

Option 1b) Boot to UEFI/Setup-Utility-menu from Windows (easiest, and almost no way to screw it up)
      1. Boot into Windows
      2. Swipe from right, click on settings.
      3. Click on Power. Press and hold the shift key, and then click on Restart
      4. A Blue menu should show up. Click on Troubleshoot-> Advanced Options-> UEFI Firmware Settings
      5. Inside UEFI/Setup-Utility-menu, go to the last tab, and select the USB Drive

NOTE:
      For options 2a and 2b, if you see the ASUS logo and circle loading icon, you either:
      • Pressed button (ESCAPE/F2) too late. Solution: Reboot and try again
      • Have Fast startup enabled, and did the steps with the device in shutdown mode. Windows will cache the kernel/other stuff, and you might not be able to get to UEFI. Solution: Reboot from Windows and try again(reboot does not trigger caching). Or disable Fast Startup

Option 2a) Boot to UEFI/Setup-Utility-menu
      1. Inside Windows, restart system. Press and hold the F2 key
      2. You should get into the Aptio Setup Utility screen
      3. Inside UEFI/Setup-Utility-menu, go to the last tab, and select the USB Drive

Option 2b) Boot Menu
      1. Inside Windows, restart system. When screen goes blank, press and hold the ESCAPE key (if you press it too early, Windows might interpret you as cancelling the restart process)
      2. You should get a list of bootable devices
      3. If you see the ASUS logo, you've pressed the ESCAPE key too late. Restart and retry

Info for various operating systems:

You should backup the recovery partition to a separate USB key. Alternatively, you can do it with this ASUS utility Backtracker that HatesForums pointed me to

Windows:

Windows 8.1

• x86: (Status: Works but missing drivers)
        Used Windows 7 USB Download Tool or Rufus to create bootable USB. Using en_windows_8_1_x86_dvd_2707392 from MSDN (x86 8.1 Regular & Pro ISO), able to install W8.1 x86 and boot to it (missing a few drivers, eg touch screen doesn't work, no sound). Windows is automatically activated without need for key. First boot had 25.7GB free out of 33.6GB.
      • x64: (Status: Not yet working)
        Used Windows 7 USB Download Tool or Rufus to create bootable USB. ISO does not contain bootia32.efi. Copied that file from the x86 ISO to USB, able to boot, but the installer complains that the processor isn't 64-bit compatible
      Windows 7

• x86: (Status: unknown)
        ISO does not contain efi
      • x64: (Status: unknown
        ISO only contains x64 efi
      Unix:

Ubuntu:

You need an EFI-compatible distro. For ubuntu, x64 EFI is enabled since 12.04-2. However, we'll need to include x86 EFI because our bootloader only reads x86 EFIs
      • 13.04 x64 desktop- (Status: boots to GUI using fbdev)
        Used Rufus(GPT for UEFI + FAT + 64 kb+ raring x64 as bootable disk using ISO Image) to create bootable USB. Copied over the bootia32 to /efi/boot/
        there is a bug in VESA where it queries for a BIOS-only command and crashes. Forcing xserver to use fbdev fixes this problem
      • 13.10 x64 desktop- (Status: boots to GUI using fbdev
        Same problems as 13.04 x64 plus one addition efifb problem
        see post for more details - touchscreen works, but no wifi

Android:
      • android-ia - (Status: No x86 UEFI bootloader)
        Generic UEFI Installer android-4.2.2_r1-ia3 does not come with x86 UEFI bootloader. it does not use grub, so can't just use ubuntu's x86 grub2 efi. Need to compile it from source
      • android-x86 - (Status: Bootable but slow)
        Uses grub, can piggy-back on the ubuntu x64 13.10 bootia.efi grub. Some workarounds needed, see this post
        external/efitools/Android.mk
        # TODO: support ia32 prebuilt

ifeq ($(TARGET_KERNEL_ARCH),x86_64)

arch_name := x86_64

/cpu/cpuinfo:
      taken from a x64 13.04 live USB
      processor : 0
      vendor_id : GenuineIntel
      cpu family : 6
      model : 55
      model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3740 @ 1.33GHz
      stepping : 3
      microcode : 0x312
      cpu MHz : 1333.387
      cache size : 1024 KB
      physical id : 0
      siblings : 4
      core id : 0
      cpu cores : 4
      apicid : 0
      initial apicid : 0
      fpu : yes
      fpu_exception : yes
      cpuid level : 11
      wp : yes
      flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
      bogomips : 2666.77
      clflush size : 64
      cache_alignment : 64
      address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
      power management:

processor : 1
      core id : 1
      apicid : 2
      initial apicid : 2
      flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
      power management:

processor : 2
      core id : 2
      apicid : 4
      initial apicid : 4
      power management:

processor : 3
      core id : 3
      apicid : 6
      initial apicid : 6
      power management:

Hardware info:

• The microUSB slot is USB-HOST-capable (i.e. with a USB OTG cable or Y cable, you can connect a USB flash drive to the microUSB slot
      • Amazon.de and Asus.de posted a T100 version with 500GB drive on the keyboard base. No pictures yet
      • Internal eMMC, 108MB/s 44MB/s read/write on sequential. CrystalDiskMark here
      • External microSD(HC/XC) reader is NOT UHS-1 compatible. Someone over at liliputing comments posted his atto benchmark

64GB Samsung microSDXC card came in the mail today, I did some ATTO disk tests using the T100's built-in microSD reader and a USB 3.0 reader from Transcend.

Unfortunately, it looks like the built-in reader is connected via USB 2.0. It maxed out at 23.8 MB/s read and 17.2 MB/s write, while the USB 3.0 reader maxed out at 71.3 MB/s read and 21.3 MB/s write. The card is rated at 70 MB/s read and 20 MB/s write.
      Android good news and bad

Well, after a few more very late nights, i was able to get to the android main screen, once. Unfortunately, its completely unrepeatable. After a lot of looking around, I think the main problem is that the drivers for the graphics that are in android-x86 are just not new enough. I did find here, repositories for the latest intel graphics driver sources. https://01.org/linuxgraphics/community?qt-projects_aggregated_links=2.

However, I talked to a friend at Intel who works on android and according to him, Intel is going to be releasing a public beta for android on Bay Trail in the next 3 weeks. So I'm going to wait for that before I try again.

If anyone wants to work on it before then, the main change I made to get the i915 driver to at least load and work for text console was in kernel/driver/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c.
      around line 118, change
      Code:
      unsigned int i915_preliminary_hw_support __read_mostly = 0;
      to 
      unsigned int i915_preliminary_hw_support __read_mostly = [B]1[/B];
      I couldn't find another way to change this besides changing the source.

Here is a pic of the one time i got to the main android screen.

Android_on_t100_small.jpg
      The i915 GPU driver does work fine *almost* out of the box for the 3.12 kernels. I havn't tested 3.13 yet, but the problem may be similar. The garbled screen is simply due to an incorrect resolution. It doesn't seem to detect our native resolution right. Using the boot parameter video=VGA-1:1366x768 works, at least when I tested it on Arch. For Ubuntu, the same boot parameter worked, but only for the console.The X session was still bad. From there I had to use xrandr to create a new video mode, and somehow manage to use the (still garbled) screen to access a terminal window. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it ;) You might also be able to setup an Xorg config to set the resolution on startup.
      Just letting folks know, the GPU works at least in 3.12 kernels.
      Made a fair bit of progress.

Managed to get 3.14-rc2 booting no problem, and grub installed properly, so am booting up normally; it just needs the video=VGA-1:1366x768e parameter.

Xrandr works fine, so screen rotation will be no problem once we have the accelerometer / orientation sensor cracked.

I got wifi working using the brcmfmac43241b4-sdio driver, but signal strength was weak. I believe this was because the nvram obtained through nvramtool was not correct; AFAIK (and I'm still learning on this), since uefi is 32-bit, access to uefi / nvram vars is unavailable from within a 64-bit linux. So instead I tried to extract nvram from a uefi shell, and converted the hexdump to ascii. This seems to work much better. I've attached the nvram as brcmfmac4321b4-sdio.txt. This just needs to be copied to /lib/firmware/brcm along with the firmware.

All ACPI is basically still broken, but I'll see what we can get.

Sound seems a long way off. ACPI IDs have been added for the "Intel SST audio device" since kernel 3.13, but Intel hasn't provided a driver yet. Haven't looked closely yet.

It seems someone is working on the battery monitor.

WYgvptb.jpg
      Iconia8 source

I started messing with 3.17 kernel to see if anything works better. Had lots of trouble getting my kconfig correct of all things, but looks like some positive progress. 3.17 combined with some code i ripped from iconia8 gives me 100% good wifi and also the eMMC is working much better and is now in HS200 mode. Apparently chip can not enter C6 during eMMC write. This is very difficult to ensure using acpi_idle driver. I have something hacked together by accessing /dev/cpu_dma_latency but it wastes a lot of power and isn't a permanent solution.

If only I could get backlight control to work :/ Would also be nice to have the two finger scroll function. No scroll on the small screen is a serious pain.

Edit:

Have a reasonable solution to the c6 wake lock. Also got some backlight control working. Can adjust, still missing stuff for completely turning it off/on. Code here on top of vanilla 3.17. https://github.com/jonpry/t100_patches Doesn't include battery, everything else works pretty good. I wrote couple hundred GB to eMMC without error. No problems with wifi either. I think there is one more eMMC patch we need but only effects samsung chips which i apparently don't have. Use included kconfig or you will have problems!
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone