[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions For Moto G (2nd Gen) [UPDATED-05/10]

Search This thread

Lucas Eugene

Frequently Asked Questions
Motorola Moto G(2nd Gen)

2nve14l.jpg

Hello Guys this is a FAQ for Moto G(2nd Gen). Please read this here before posting it in the developmental section or creating a thread anywhere.
I am sure it will help.

Thank You

A big thanks goes to @matmutant for providing FAQ templates and his own FAQ from I have copied some things.Here is the original guide

Last edited:

Lucas Eugene

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
Boot to Fastboot and follow my guide
or Motorola guide on Motorola's website

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to relock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
Boot to Fastboot and give the command "fastboot oem lock"

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
For windows, follow this guide or this one
although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
other USB drivers if first method failed, source
For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
eg:
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
Please Follow this Guidehere.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
First you'll need to unlock your bootloader,
then follow this guide
[/URL]

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q7: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
- Via ADB :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
  1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
  2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
  1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
    Code:
    su
    reboot recovery
  2. via adb
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  3. via bootloader
    boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]
  • Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
  • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q11: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

For Indian customers, The warranty is void if you unlock/root your device. Motorola also reserves the right to maintain the records of unlocked bootloader devices. So you may not even get the warranty by relocking the device
[source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
[source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
**Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
(assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
Follow this method and default Motorola logo will be back :).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What are the Moto G(2nd Gen) tech specs[/SIZE]
  • XT1068 (Dual Sim)

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to get OTA updates even after Rooting and Flashing a custom Recovery[/SIZE]
    • Use the full unroot option from the Super Su
    • Flash the stock recovery Use Code : mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • Now you'll be able to get OTA updates as before
    [SIZE=+1]Q1: How to Unlock Advanced Camera Settings?[/SIZE]

Refer to this thread

Last edited:

haytham.kenway

Mar 13, 2013
Mumbai,Virar
Thank you for allowing me to do so. :)

Bro i tried to relock the bootloader

I tried "fastboot oem lock" command ,that didnt seem to work,cmd says to begin with "fastboot oem lock begin"

Then i tried again fastboot oem lock, on cmd it says cant relock bootloader sst failure

On phone it says failed to validate system image,whats the problem here ,could anyone explain me thanks :D

:mad:

mVu2Qgu.png

Last edited:
Reactions: vaisakmct

Lucas Eugene

Bro i tried to relock the bootloader

I tried "fastboot oem lock" command ,that didnt seem to work,cmd says to begin with "fastboot oem lock begin"

Then i tried again fastboot oem lock, on cmd it says cant relock bootloader sst failure

On phone it says failed to validate system image,whats the problem here ,could anyone explain me thanks :D

:mad:

mVu2Qgu.png

Hmm I see that you use windows 8, a lot of times it worked when users tried on their windows 7 pc.

And why do you want to lock your bootlader you won't get your warranty back

Reactions: vaisakmct

Zheen

Apr 27, 2014
As Sulaymaniyah
i am willing to purchase the 2nd gen moto g and i want to know which variant is more development-friendly if there is such a thing. i mean what variant is more easily rooted, customized, and will have more custom roms and generally more developer attention? the single sim XT1063 or the dual sim XT1068?

Lucas Eugene

i am willing to purchase the 2nd gen moto g and i want to know which variant is more development-friendly if there is such a thing. i mean what variant is more easily rooted, customized, and will have more custom roms and generally more developer attention? the single sim XT1063 or the dual sim XT1068?

The single sim is actually more easy to build roms for. However the dual sim will be supported in the same way as you can convert the dual sim into a single sim variant.

So buy whichever version that suits you.

I am expecting to receive my single sim variant very soon :D

Reactions: caiquerosene

srprashant91

Aug 30, 2011
mumbai, india
Did anyone notice any lag or freeze while playing 720p videos on the new moto g? Sometimes i see that video freezes and only audio continues to play.

Sent from my XT1068 using XDA Free mobile app

Aileach XDA

Aug 20, 2014
Belfast
@ srprashant91 : I have been watching 720p video on my XT1068 using MX Player without any lag or stuttering. I have these saved on my 32gb Class 10 Micro SD. Are you streaming the video( wifi/3g), or playing it from internal memory, otg or SD? Also, which app are you using to watch the video? And have you tried using Software and Hardware based decoders if your app has them?

Last edited:

srprashant91

Aug 30, 2011
mumbai, india
@ srprashant91 : I have been watching 720p video on my XT1068 using MX Player without any lag or stuttering. I have these saved on my 32gb Class 10 Micro SD. Are you streaming the video( wifi/3g), or playing it from internal memory, otg or SD? Also, which app are you using to watch the video? And have you tried using Software and Hardware based decoders if your app has them?

I am trying to play 720p videos via the youtube app using wifi. I notice this stutter, freeze or lag

Sent from my XT1068 using XDA Free mobile app

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
Global Version On AT&T

I was thinking about picking one of these up to use on AT&T (in the USA/California). The US GSM model is sold out. Will the Global GSM version work? And will it work good? Or will there be complications? Thanks for any help (I have been comparing bands and trying to search - but not really finding any concrete answers).

btb55

Jan 18, 2013
Another question relating to un-rooting in order to go ahead with the OTA update. Super SU has a built in function to 'Full unroot', can those of us who have rooted use this and then apply the OTA update, then root again after the update?

Is there any need to flash stock firmware just to get the latest OTA? The firmware for GB phones isn't available to download yet (well to date I'm unable to find retgb).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+1]Q1: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
    Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    Boot to Fastboot and follow my guide
    or Motorola guide on Motorola's website

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to relock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    Boot to Fastboot and give the command "fastboot oem lock"

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
    For windows, follow this guide or this one
    although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
    other USB drivers if first method failed, source
    For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
    eg:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
    Please Follow this Guidehere.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
    First you'll need to unlock your bootloader,
    then follow this guide
    [/URL]

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q7: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
    - Via ADB :
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
    1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
    2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
    3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
    1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
      Code:
      su
      reboot recovery
    2. via adb
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    3. via bootloader
      boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]
    • Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
    • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q11: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
    In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

For Indian customers, The warranty is void if you unlock/root your device. Motorola also reserves the right to maintain the records of unlocked bootloader devices. So you may not even get the warranty by relocking the device
    [source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
    [source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
    On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
    **Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
    (assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
    Follow this method and default Motorola logo will be back :).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
    more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What are the Moto G(2nd Gen) tech specs[/SIZE]
    • XT1068 (Dual Sim)

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to get OTA updates even after Rooting and Flashing a custom Recovery[/SIZE]
      • Use the full unroot option from the Super Su
      • Flash the stock recovery Use Code : mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
      • Now you'll be able to get OTA updates as before
      [SIZE=+1]Q1: How to Unlock Advanced Camera Settings?[/SIZE]

Refer to this thread
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Motorola Moto G(2nd Gen)

2nve14l.jpg

Hello Guys this is a FAQ for Moto G(2nd Gen). Please read this here before posting it in the developmental section or creating a thread anywhere.
    I am sure it will help.

Thank You

A big thanks goes to @matmutant for providing FAQ templates and his own FAQ from I have copied some things.Here is the original guide
    About question 11, i asked motorola and they replied that rooting or unlocking bootloader even in europe WILL void your warranty! Don't fool people around or provide a legit source.

I suppose Directive 1999/44/CE is a legit source?
    Please read this article : piana.eu/root
    And then, simply take the time to search here :eur-lex.europa.eu/

In all cases, if the seller can prove YOU burnt your CPU by overcloking/overvolting, then, that's YOUR own fault, but rooting does NOT void warranty in EU if your device has faulty components.

@matmutant Could you provide more info on that
    Thanks for the fast reply.:D

The thing is that the Moto G (2nd gen) that I have is just 8 GB:( (they didn't have 16GB when I bought it), so I bought a 32 GB SD card to not have problem with most "heavy app" (Injustice, GTA, and so on).
    And again about the Nandroid backup, how can i do it?:confused::confused:

Unlock Bootloader

Flash this TWRP

Then make a backup from within the recovery

And just a caution don't straight away flash roms which are at the initial stage of development it may screw your battery