[FAQ][HELP THREAD][Noob Friendly] LG G2 Ask any question

Search This thread

sammy696

Nov 18, 2013
Have a look at the SRK tool, it might help you.

Just flash a KK/LP bootstack and the TWRP by blastagator at once (without rebooting) in CWM. you should be good to go afterwards.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

try out if you can fix anything with the srk tool.
Tried SRK tool but no luck my Phone is not in QHusb_bulk so no luck its just stuck on booting screen with no Download Mode :(

Jerber

Jun 6, 2013
Is there a way to recover the old lockscreen effects in Lollipop? I miss the drop effect and ripple effect too.

BlackGuyRX

Feb 12, 2015
Okay, now i'm in a bigger pickle....I tried to update TWRP and I clearly broke something...Because I get this message when trying to boot into recovery-
[8820] fastboot mode started
[8870] udc_start()
This **** is driving me insane. I tried to follow instructions as best as I can but i'm a ****ing idiot and keep making mistakes...I just want to install Lineage OS and I keep running into walls
I'm running a LG G2 D800

Sunandroid

Retired Recognized Contributor
Feb 25, 2014
BE
How can i find the version of my phone? Thank you

Take off the backcover and read, what's written on the circuitboard. (not on the plastic parts!)

Okay, now i'm in a bigger pickle....I tried to update TWRP and I clearly broke something...Because I get this message when trying to boot into recovery-
[8820] fastboot mode started
[8870] udc_start()
This **** is driving me insane. I tried to follow instructions as best as I can but i'm a ****ing idiot and keep making mistakes...I just want to install Lineage OS and I keep running into walls
I'm running a LG G2 D800

What did you do? There's always hope, that the srk tool can help, I do not have any other idea right now.

BlackGuyRX

Feb 12, 2015
Take off the backcover and read, what's written on the circuitboard. (not on the plastic parts!)

What did you do? There's always hope, that the srk tool can help, I do not have any other idea right now.

I don't remember exactly...I tried to update TWRP since I thought that was part of the reason Lineage OS wasn't installing properly. Got it from here https://dl.twrp.me/d800/ nad tried to update it with the official app. Flashed it, went into recovery and got that error, but thankfully I can still boot into the ROM like normal. I'm running stock At&t Kitkat 4.4.2 and want to upgrade from it, but I gotta fit the TWRP issue first. I need the most straightforward help available so I can just get it over with and hopefully not damage my phone beyond belief....

Sunandroid

Feb 25, 2014
BE
I don't remember exactly...I tried to update TWRP since I thought that was part of the reason Lineage OS wasn't installing properly. Got it from here https://dl.twrp.me/d800/ nad tried to update it with the official app. Flashed it, went into recovery and got that error, but thankfully I can still boot into the ROM like normal. I'm running stock At&t Kitkat 4.4.2 and want to upgrade from it, but I gotta fit the TWRP issue first. I need the most straightforward help available so I can just get it over with and hopefully not damage my phone beyond belief....

TWRP from official ressources is usually (for most phones) a bad idea. Search for autorec for kk (via google; should be available on the forums). Run it (with root obviously), download a LP/KK Hybrid bootstack and the latest TWRP by blastagator (use google, it's on the forums as well). Then flash the new bootstack and the Blastagator TWRP in one go in TWRP. Reboot the recovery and flash lineage. I hope that works (it should^^).

BlackGuyRX

Feb 12, 2015
TWRP from official ressources is usually (for most phones) a bad idea. Search for autorec for kk (via google; should be available on the forums). Run it (with root obviously), download a LP/KK Hybrid bootstack and the latest TWRP by blastagator (use google, it's on the forums as well). Then flash the new bootstack and the Blastagator TWRP in one go in TWRP. Reboot the recovery and flash lineage. I hope that works (it should^^).
Alright, Autorec fixed the TWRP issue, and I also succesfully upgraded TWRP as well. Ii'm a tad confused about the LP/KK Hybrid bootstack thing...
http://xdaforums.com/att-g2/development/bootloader-flash-jb-kk-bootloader-t2965755 This is what I need, right?
Sorry for wanting to be spoonfed, I just can't risk effing up this phone, though I think i'm slowly getting the hang of it.

nicky3

Oct 6, 2013
Hi all,
D802 16gb stock Kitkat, not rooted.
I can't enter download mode, vol.up + usb, then appear lg logo and charging animation,
that's all. Recovery work, system work, everything is good only download mode don't work.
Someone help...?

Thanks

BlackGuyRX

Feb 12, 2015
Alright...New problem...I thought I was following along just fine and tried to flash bootloader (d80020c (KK))...Only to give me an error when I reboot (it goes away pretty fast before I can read it out) and sits at a backlit blank screen. Thankfully I can still go into recovery but at this point...I just need help getting back into the OS, i'm at my wits end and I don't wanna damage things any further.

Alright, I've decided to restart completely based on this https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476 and flash back to stock At&t Jellybean 4.2.2. and try again.

Last edited:

Sunandroid

Feb 25, 2014
BE
Alright...New problem...I thought I was following along just fine and tried to flash bootloader (d80020c (KK))...Only to give me an error when I reboot (it goes away pretty fast before I can read it out) and sits at a backlit blank screen. Thankfully I can still go into recovery but at this point...I just need help getting back into the OS, i'm at my wits end and I don't wanna damage things any further.

Alright, I've decided to restart completely based on this https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476 and flash back to stock At&t Jellybean 4.2.2. and try again.

I don't wanna say, just go ahead and flash anything blindfolded. But the G2 is almost unbrickable. So don't worry about things going wrong too much. Oh anf btw, yes, the issue you had was kind of obvius. Parts of your bootstack were of a newet version than your OS. Therfore it wouldn't work anymore. That's why I wrote (at least I think so), that you should have your ROM zip ready to flash. ;)

BlackGuyRX

Feb 12, 2015
I don't wanna say, just go ahead and flash anything blindfolded. But the G2 is almost unbrickable. So don't worry about things going wrong too much. Oh anf btw, yes, the issue you had was kind of obvius. Parts of your bootstack were of a newet version than your OS. Therfore it wouldn't work anymore. That's why I wrote (at least I think so), that you should have your ROM zip ready to flash. ;)

Can you help guide me on that I need to do? I'm gonna have to root, install TWRP (and make sure it's up to date) and figure out whatever else I need to do to get Lineage OS on this thing. I'm on 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

Samrach Kem

Mar 28, 2016
Yo guy, long time no see

I've just managed to make my g2 (f320x) become immortal ??, thanks to everyone around here. Now I wanna go to another level, I mean I wanna make ROM from source code. Can anyone guide me pls?

Sotirakos

Dec 2, 2011
Lefkosia
TWRP install failed

Hello, I have a second hand LG G2 D802 32GB V30d-EUR-XX
I recently updated from stock KK to stock LP through LGs' own PC program (don't remember what it was called but the now installed is LG PC Suite).
I run the LG_One_Click_Root_v1.3(LG_One_Click_Root_by_avicohh) for ROOT also tried other ROOT avicohhs' versions (or scripts) it got ROOTED after several failed attempts but somehow the TWRP Recovery did not install or failed to install and when I select to boot to Recovery through the "Quick Reboot Recovery" app, it gives me a DemiGod Crash Handler: Critical Error
I tried also to install through "TWRP Manager" app the twrp-2.6.3.2-g2d802.img but it also fails. What should I do? :confused:

sarvk76

Sep 16, 2017
LG G2 Model number

Hi,
I have LG G2 D802T 32GB . When I opened the back cover, I could see more than one version number 802/802T/805/806. :confused: What to make of this? Please let me know.
Question: Can I flash UK 802 lollipop version (UK EE D80230b.kdz) on my phone? The reason being that the LG website says that the UK LG G2 is VoLTE enabled. And my Indian carrier supports VoLTE.

Here are the other information that I could extract from my phone:

Firmware Version:

SW Version Info:
D802T30c-IND-XX

Factory Version:
LGD802TAT-00-V30c-IND-XX-NOV-05-2015

Baseband Version:
Should be implemented (Have no idea why! :confused:)

Sunandroid

Feb 25, 2014
BE
Yo guy, long time no see

I've just managed to make my g2 (f320x) become immortal , thanks to everyone around here. Now I wanna go to another level, I mean I wanna make ROM from source code. Can anyone guide me pls?

There are some good guides out there. Use google. I personally can't help.

Hello, I have a second hand LG G2 D802 32GB V30d-EUR-XX
I recently updated from stock KK to stock LP through LGs' own PC program (don't remember what it was called but the now installed is LG PC Suite).
I run the LG_One_Click_Root_v1.3(LG_One_Click_Root_by_avicohh) for ROOT also tried other ROOT avicohhs' versions (or scripts) it got ROOTED after several failed attempts but somehow the TWRP Recovery did not install or failed to install and when I select to boot to Recovery through the "Quick Reboot Recovery" app, it gives me a DemiGod Crash Handler: Critical Error
I tried also to install through "TWRP Manager" app the twrp-2.6.3.2-g2d802.img but it also fails. What should I do? :confused:

Open the plastic back of your phone and check on the mainboard, if it really is what it was sold as. (variant wise) Often scripts double-check the variant before flashing to avoid bricking.

Hi,
I have LG G2 D802T 32GB . When I opened the back cover, I could see more than one version number 802/802T/805/806. :confused: What to make of this? Please let me know.
Question: Can I flash UK 802 lollipop version (UK EE D80230b.kdz) on my phone? The reason being that the LG website says that the UK LG G2 is VoLTE enabled. And my Indian carrier supports VoLTE.

Here are the other information that I could extract from my phone:

Firmware Version:

SW Version Info:
D802T30c-IND-XX

Factory Version:
LGD802TAT-00-V30c-IND-XX-NOV-05-2015

Baseband Version:
Should be implemented (Have no idea why! :confused:)

There was a similar incident once before in this thread. I don't remember exactly how it ended up. use the search function for this particular thread.
Concerning the multiple variant numbers inside: I assume you looked at some plastic part, which is used in different variants. The only relevant thing is what's written on the mainboard. And there is only one number for sure. ;)

sarvk76

Sep 16, 2017
There was a similar incident once before in this thread. I don't remember exactly how it ended up. use the search function for this particular thread.
Concerning the multiple variant numbers inside: I assume you looked at some plastic part, which is used in different variants. The only relevant thing is what's written on the mainboard. And there is only one number for sure. ;)

Thank you.
Model number on the mainboard as in these pics? (unable to attach the pics directly)
h_ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8plrAzrXU2tQ1BOc0hLOVBZMUU
h_ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8plrAzrXU2tdDdPemVmUURuZTg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some Basics - About bootloader, kernel, recovery, rom and system

@Closed Force asked me, where I know my stuff from and why things are like they are...

When you press the power button, your device will load the bootloader. The bootloader afterwards will load either load the recovery, the kernel or the download-mode, depending on the keys you press. Atm there are three different bootloaders. The Jellybean one, the KitKat one and freshly the Lollipop one. Not one could be unlocked yet, so there are workarounds which allow us to boot custom ROMs (primarely kernels, but more about that later) and custom recoverys anyways. At the beginning there was the Jellybean bootloader. The developers (sorry, I dunno which one) found out how to get around this one pretty early and this workaround they called loki. It's baked in in nearly every ROM except those ones which require the KK bootloader (but that's usually not the reason they don't support the JB one). Anyways, soon the KitKat update came and thereby a new bootloader. Sadly LG patched the loki exploit and the devs found a new way to get the bootloader files wich weren't from LG. They called it bump. Bump basically just imitates the LG signature, so the bootloader thinks this file really was signed by LG. Obviously this workaround works with the JB bootloader too. In the Lollipop bootloader even this exploit has been closed and no one knows how to get around this bootloader yet. Just so much about bootloaders: As long you have a working bootloader, your device is not dead. You can usually recover it in some way.

The G2 has about 30 partitions (for a more detailed explanation, look here, thanks @d00lz), each one has it's own functionality. One of them is the recovery partition. Imagine: The recovery partiton with a working partition is besides a working bootloader everything you need to keep your phone working. It's kind of an OS itself, completely independent from Android or anything else stored on your mobile. The great thing about is, it is so small that it can be run directly in the RAM. This means it's capable of modifing EVERY goddamn partition of your mobile. Including the bootloader and the recovery partition. Attention: Here comes bump in the first time. If you are using the recovery with the 4.4 bootloader, it need to be bumped. Otherwise the bootloader realizes that the recovery is not proven by LG and generates a "secure boot error".

Same thing for the kernel. The kernel takes place in the /system partition and is part of the system. Anyways it's the part of it which will be loaded and booted by the bootloader if you only press the powerkey. This is why this also needs to be bumped if you want to get your system booting on a KK bootloader. Self explaining you need to have installed a compatible ROM with your kernel. When 4.4 came out, most devs switched over the LGs 4.4 sources. Soon it turned out, that the 4.2 sources were much more reliable for AOSP based ROMs. That's why most AOSP ROMs use the 4.2 bootloader and the 4.2 Kernel sources while Stock based ROMs use the 4.4 bootloader and kernel. With the version discussion it's almost done. But it's not all: There are different kernels for AOSP and for Stock based roms. That's because Stock kernels support some ROM functionalities, AOSP ROMs don't have. (e.g. knock code; which isn't open-source btw, which is why it isn't available in AOSP ROMs). So there are huge differences between the Stock and AOSP based ROMs / Kernels. The Kernel is besides of the Stock / AOSP matter independent of the ROM and can be switched at any time you want.

Now about the /data partition... All your stuff, including Apps, system settings, app data and so on will be stored there. The reason why you should clear it every time you change the ROM (not updating, I mean switching to another ROM) is that e.g. the ROM you are coming from has some tweaks the new one doesn't have which means the new ROM doesn't know how to handle them which leads to crashes and so on.

Now let's get to the ROM... Having a 4.2 Bootloader and a 4.2 sources based kernel doesn't mean the top layer has to be 4.2 too. Most of the AOSP based ROMs are based on Googles KitKat or Lollipop sources. And this is true KitKat or Lollipop, with all its functionalities. Those huge version-differences cause some problems in development. No wonder some things do not work properly today, but it's still the best working combination atm. It's kind of a wonder, it works as it is, but let's be happy with it. Since it is as it is, I'm very curious, how AOSP ROMs with LP Kernel sources will work. No matter on the bootloader... The ROM is the other part of the /system partition. So that's the main partition which is modified while flashing. Which partitions will be modified and (how), is written in the updater script. Theoretically running a updaterscript of a ROM which changes the bootloader, can brick your device. That's also the reason why you should only flash stuff made for your device.

Finnaly something about the baseband, modem, what so ever...
    It happened to me that the devs or rather the OPs didn't know which baseband the user should use with the ROM. In earlier days the wrong baseband could make the ROM bootlooping. Today most ROMs work with both basebands. Best if you stay on the one you currently are and just flash another one if somethings (e.g. autrotation) don't work. The baseband can be flashed at any time and is independent of every other partition.

Oh and maybe something about the download mode. As far as I know, it's a different partition, but not completely independent of the bootloader. And since it's this way, you can of course have a fully working bootloader, but a dead download mode which means you will not be able to flash a kdz the next time you are in big trouble^^.

The EFS-Partition btw stores the IMEI (and the serial number afaik) of your device btw. NEVER wipe it. With a empty EFS partition you can use your mobile as a brick, but nothing more, no matter if your system works or not.

If you got questions/additions/correction or see a mistake, post below, or PM me, I'll edit this post...
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]LG G2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root my G2?[/SIZE]
    There are several root methods depending on what android version you're on:

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I restore my phone to stock?[/SIZE]
    Visit the Back to stock thread. This has detailed instructions on how to flash factory firmware. If you have bricked your device or are trying to fix software issues then this is the go to method.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Can I recieve OTA updates while my phone is rooted?[/SIZE]
    Short answer, no. If you have any modified files at the root level of your device this will break OTA. You may have to flash the stock firmware before you take an update.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: My phone won't connect to my PC. How do I fix this?[/SIZE]
    You might be experiencing driver issues. To resolve it take the following steps:
    • Download the LGUnitedMobile driver here
    • Open programs and features and delete the currently installed drivers
    • Launch the exe file of the drivers that you downloaded and let it install
    • Reboot your PC and try connecting your phone again.
    If your still not connecting then try using PDAnet drivers. Again, delete the LG drivers you installed and launch PDAnet on your PC. Let the drivers install and try again.

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I have a f320/ isai/l-01f . Where is the development for my variant?[/SIZE]
    These variants aren't as widely supported as the other ones unfortunately. Many ROM devs support the f320 but the ISAI and l-01f don't get as much love. There are dedicated threads for these variants here:

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Is it possible to sim unlock the Sprint G2?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q7: How do I flash a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
    If you are coming from stock you need to root your device first (see Q.1). Here are the recovery methods based on android version:

KitKat
    Use Autorec from this thread. Pick the correct one for your variant.

Lollipop
    Use the Autorec app from the playstore. You can find them here. There is a separate app for each variant so pay close attention to which one you use.
    Launch the app and follow the instructions to reboot to recovery.

Jellybean
    There are several methods of doing this. Here is the easiest one:
    [RECOVERY] [TWRP] [FLASHIFY] Quick & easy
    [SIZE=+1]Q8: What is ADB and fastboot?[/SIZE]
    ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. These are the android tools developed by Google for developers and users to connect devices to a PC and send commands to it. There's a detailed guide to ADB here.
    [SIZE=+1]Q9: What is Bump!!!?[/SIZE]
    Bump is a bootloader exploit developed by team Codefire. It's purpose (in a nutshell) is to allow KitKat bootloaders to load custom boot (kernel) and recovery images to allow the flashing of custom ROMs.
    By bumping a boot.img the tool signs it using it's magic keys to trick the bootloader into thinking that it is, in fact an official boot.img.
    [SIZE=+1]Q10: I bricked my phone and it is now in fastboot mode. How do I fix this?[/SIZE]
    There are several ways to fix it. If you have download mode you can flash a stock image (see Q.2). You can also use the fastboot tools to flash over the damaged partitions (see Q.8).
    @somboons has developed a utility called SRK Tools which has a function to fix fastboot mode, and do many other useful things. You can find his tool here.
    [SIZE=+1]Q11: I rooted my device and now I need to RMA it. Is there any way to unroot/hide root?[/SIZE]
    If your device is rooted then there will be a root flag in download mode. This will be there even if you unroot from within superuser.
    To remove all traces of root you will need to flash the stock firmware again (see Q.2)
    [SIZE=+1]Q12: What is a bootstack and why is it important?[/SIZE]
    A bootstack is a set of partition images that are needed for android to boot. In the case of the G2 partitions need to be slightly modified because the LP bootloader will not load custom images. In other words, if you want to flash a custom recovery and ROM, you need a KK bootloader and bumped kernel and recovery images. Autorec does this automatically or you can flash your own hybrid bootstack
    [SIZE=+1]Q13: My phone is dead or my PC recognises my phone as QHSUSB_BULK/Qualcomm 9006/8 or security error. How do I fix this?[/SIZE]
    These errors occur when your device has mismatched/corrupt or missing partitions. This can occur by flashing the wrong ROM, Autorec or bootloader. (eg. nuking your bootloader will give you a security error.) In the case that you still have download mode, you can just flash a stock image to fix it. If your phone is not booting into any mode but it's recognized by your PC then pay attention to device manager to see how windows sees your phone. For QHSUSB_BULK see here and here.
    Alternatively you can use the Srk Tools. For qualcomm 9006 see here For Qualcomm 9008 or if your phone is not recognized by PC (windows/mac OR linux) and does not boot then you may need to follow this guide to revive your phone.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q14: How do I enter recovery with the button combination?[/SIZE]
    If you have a custom recovery you use the button combination to factory reset.

• Power off the device
    • Hold volume down and power button until you see the LG logo
    • For JB/KK Hold volume down and power
    • For LL Hold volume down and volume up
    • Enter at the factory reset screen
    [SIZE=+1]Q15: What is an EFS and why is it important?[/SIZE]
    Your EFS partition contains some important and some basic info related to our device identity like Bluetooth MAC address, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code and the very main IMEI address, radio settings, programming parameters for the device such as your account information (phone number, etc), data provisioning parameters, etc. An EFS cannot be replaced. It is unique to every device and it is highly recommended that you back it up soon after rooting your device. See this thread for a how to. EFS Partition Backup and More [All G2 Variants
    [SIZE=+1]Q16: I updated my phone and now the touch screen is erratic and my IMEI is gone. What is happening?[/SIZE]
    This scenario is common to G2's that are refurbished with mixed parts of many G2 variants. Typically the vendor has used a motherboard from any random G2 variant and packaged it as a d802. It is fixable however, see this thread for more details on how to identify your model. You must get the real model number which is written on the bottom of the mainboard and then flash a stock image accordingly. Restoring your IMEI is trickier though. It is easy if you have previously taken an EFS backup (see Q.15). You can flash the EFS backup zip or use dd to restore modemst1 and 2.
    Without an EFS backup you cannot restore a lost IMEI. There are methods that claim to work and they are worth exploring but there is nothing that is definitely known to restore a lost IMEI.
    *​
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    Judgment Came....

There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

I do have the G2 fortunately, in order to make XDA a better place, I thought I'd open up a help thread for those who need it. I will be able to give lots of help to fellow G2 users. Hopefully some of the experienced G2 users help out on this thread, because it'd make everything easier. Thanks!

First thing first. I strongly advise you to read THIS thread before posting ANYTHING on XDA.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in post no2, you might find what you need right away.

For ROM issues please do mention in your post about:
    ROM name
    ROM version and base
    kernel version and its settings
    any mods applied on top of it
    flashing "style" aka dirty or clean
    something like this
    ...and be sure you have asked before on the ROM thread unless you have less than 10 posts on XDA

Third. The second post will be used to link to threads for some of the most common problems+fixes. You'll be surprised how much time and frustration it will save you in the future.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,adb, drivers, superCID, problems, mods etc...... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

***I feel that a little OT is healthy to the success of this type of thread. The people here who help the most will develop a comradery therefore OT is allowed within reason. Common sense will be applied ;)***

HALL OF FAME
    People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their problems/questions. In no particular order.

@cuks
    @xanthrax
    @Sunandroid
    @XxZombiePikachu
    @z3pp3lin
    @raptorddd
    @Art Vanderlay

Special thanks:
    Undercover
    Xanthrax
    XxZombiePikachu
    Sunandroid

Well, it says in the "instruction":

"Don't flash this if -

1. You don't know if your device needs a JDI version or not
    2. Don't know how to restore a recovery if something goes wrong
    "
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53605359&postcount=10351
    I have no idea what JDI is. Couldn't even find anything on google.

JDI and LGD are, as already said, two different panels, needing different kernels. But NVM, did only hear about that after I flashed mine a few times. But that has to do with the JB/KK sources. So as long no ROM was updated to KK it didn't matter. So no wonder some guys never heard about that.
    Addictional some guy (I think it was @dr87 ) wrote an autodedection algorythm to avoid those screen damages.

So I have an update to zve on sprint. After I flash back to stock and take it will I still be able to root my device since zve is a radio update? I'm not going to take it if I can't root again.

Never heard about an unrootable phone after an update. And since you already toted back to stock a few times, it should not matter for you. Towelroot is still working afaik. Bootoloader/Recovery could be something else.
    Keep in mind that an installed custom recovery results in a Softbrick after an OTA. So you have to go back to stock in every case....

VERY noob question guys but how do I flash custom ROMs on my D801? The stock kitkat ROM is starting to crap out and I'm trying to flash the Mahdi 4.4.4 ROM. Also, I still have warranty on the phone and I'm wondering if I ever need to send the phone back to T-Mobile (knock on wood) for replacement can I reflash it back to the stock ROM without them knowing I previously had a custom ROM running on it? Thanks in advance! :D

No, now seriously, was in a hurry.

I recommend to everyone to read sometime before flash the first time. Some important words: Recovery/TWRP/CWM, ROM, Bootloader, Root, Apk and so on. Everything else you'll lern by the time if you are interested in.

If you want to start right of: Go to the second post. First you have to root. You can use Towelroot or iRoot. Doesn't matter. Many people say, towelroot is the easiest way to root. I'd do it with iRoot again, since I never used Towelroot and already have some experiences with iRoot.
    Since you are on KK, you have to use Autorec. Link in the second post of this thread as well. Installing the app and giving it root permission and it'll automatically downgrad your bootloader (cuz it's not possible to unlock the KK one) and install a Custom Recovery. In this case TWRP 2.7. I highly recommend to update to the heatprotected 2.8 ones. Link as well in the second post. Then it's best if you perform a full backup in twrp. I'm not sure if you can choose there what exactly you want to backup (like system, data, boot, etc.), check all and swipe. FFS you reboot after that and copy that backup from your SD to your computer. so nothing can go wrong and you can go back to stock whenever you want.
    Then download the Mahdi + GApps, copy it to your phone. Go to wipe --> advanced, and check everythin EXCEPT internal memory/SD. Oherwise you just delete the ROM you want to install and swipe. All your data (Apps, app data, contacts, etc.) will now be gone. Most gets automatically restored via the google servers. But not the Appdata. If you have something important, google Titanium Backup. I won't explain it here.
    After that, hit install and chose the zips. [Do NOT unpack or repack them. Leave them like you downloaded them.] After that you first choose the <Mahdi>.zip and then you add the gapps to the zip queue. Swipe again to flash and wait. After that just reboot. No need for wiping cache/dalvik.
    The first boot will take a while, because it's the first one. Go through the setup and have fun! If you are common with those processes, everything is like "daily live", But be careful!(at least the first time ;) ) if you take for expamle the wrong <Mahdi>.zip (for the wrong variant), your phone might get irreparable damaged. I'm not responsible for any dammage on your device! ;) And that's because I recommend some reading to everyone...
    Thanks,

i think i will go back to stock and just root and apply a few tweaks.
    Then when i work up the courage i might try to install the custom recovery and pardus rom.
    I still dont understand why i couldnt reboot the phone after using AutoRec to install twrp.

Thanks again, im sure i'll need you help in the future. :p

Dibbly.

Well this thread is my home and as you can see I always try to help everyone here, I'll look into the specifics of the d802t and find out more about it so I can be of more help in the future

Sent from my Potato powered G2 D800