[FAQ] [JB] [2ndBoot] CM10 for Defy/Defy+ (UPDATED 10-Nov)

Search This thread

cdlq456

Aug 4, 2011

Frequently Asked Questions
CyanogenMod 10
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Motorola Defy and Defy+

The FAQ has been updated with some information about the 2nd Boot builds with custom kernel thanks to the collaboration of the user sa3e1 who rewrte some parts of the FAQ. If you have any suggestions, corrections or some information to add, please send me an MP. For more information about JB please visit the Motorola Defy Wiki With JB Status

Before doing anything:
►Always start the procedures with 80% - full charge battery (if your battery die during the process, you can still go Mcgyver)
►Make a backup of your apk's (using Titanium Backup for example) and a nandroid backup from recovery.
►If you have any problem, don't blame CyanogenMod Team, Quarx, Epsylon3, the FAQ or whatever. This ROM works (except the known bugs), if it's not working for you, it's mostly because you used wrong versions or are doing something wrong.

► INDEX

- Where can I download all that I need?
- NEW What builds are "2ndBoot"?
- NEW Is this ROM for Defy or Defy+?
- NEW I don't have CM10 and I want to install it, how can I do that?
- NEW I already have CM10 and I want to upgrade to a newer nightly, how can I do that?
- NEW Is this ROM stable and ready for daily use?
- NEW What's the difference between Quarx and Epsylon3 versions?
- Can I flash an Epsylon3's build over a Quarx's one without wiping data?
- What is HWA? Is this a good thing?
- So, CM10 have HWA? How can I enable it?
- I'm on CM10 and a lot of apps give me FC and don't work properly
- Why Google Now doesn't work for me? Why I just get regular google search?
- Why are some apps duplicated?
- Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) with red lense and what are the advantages?
- I lose my data connection every time, is this error related to this rom?
- I've just installed a new rom, and my battery indicator suddenly drops, is this a bug? Do I have to re calibrate it?
- How can I overclock and undervolt my Defy? And what are the advantages?
- I have problems with WiFi connections, my network get disconnected.
- NEW How can I change the DPI and keep play store compatibility?​

► Where can I download all that I need?

Download Link (Quarx's builds) | Mirror | Official Thread
Download Link (Epsylon3's builds) | Mirror
Kernels | Battery Fix for red lens | New Battery Fix | Gapps (Use the last gapps-jb-2012XXXX-signed.zip)

► What builds are "2ndBoot"?

24.09 builds and before ► Normal Builds
10.10 builds and after ► 2ndBoot Builds

► Is this ROM for Defy (MB525) or Defy+ (MB526)?

For 2ndBoot Builds:

Both, since Quarx’s "2nd boot” builds we have a universal build with custom kernel supporting all Defy variants (Defy Green Lens, Defy Red Lens and Defy+). This means that the same .zip file works on the Defy green lens, Defy red lens and Defy+.

For PRE 2ndBoot Builds:

Defy Green Lens ► Froyo Kernel ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb525.zip
Defy Red LensGingerbread Kernel ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip
Defy+No Kernel Needed ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip

Don't know if you got green or red lens? Click here.

► I don't have CM10 and I want to install it, how can I do that?

Pre-steps:
► Your phone has to be roooted.
If this is the first time you install a custom rom (if you have stock froyo) you'll have to root your phone, install 2nd init (custom recovery), and some other things.
If you aren't familiar with this concepts, these posts will be useful for you:
All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide
FAQ | Guides |Tutorials for Defy
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx

► Download all the files that you need and put them on the sdcard.
► Charge your phone until you have 80-100% battery.
► Make a backup of your apps and a nandroid backup of your rom (everything you have on your phone will be deleted).

For 2nd Boot Builds
1) Go to Custom Recovery.
2) Wipe data/factory reset, wipe Cache and go to Advanced ► Wipe dalvik.
3) Go to install zip from sdcard ► Choose zip from sd card.
4) Flash CM10-********-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip
4b) Install kernel update if available (for instance the update_for_11.10_v2.zip for 11.10 nightly)
5) Flash Gapps.
6) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
7) Restart.
Note: Sometimes you'll have to remove the battery and restart the phone.

For MB526 and PRE 2ndBoot Builds
2) Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and go to advanced ► Wipe dalvik.
3) Go to Install zip from sdcard ► Choose zip from sd card.
4) Flash gb Kernel (JUST FOR DEFY RED LENS USERS).
5) Flash CM10-2012xxxx-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip.
6) Flash Gapps.
7) Flash Battery fix (only for red lens)
8) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
9) Restart.

For MB525 and PRE 2ndBoot Builds
4) Flash froyo kernel
5) Flash CM10-2012xxxx-NIGHTLY-mb525.zip.
6) Flash Gapps.
7) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
8) Restart.

A little FAQ extracted from the Wiki for some 2nd Boot Builds doubts:

Where is the Package for Defy (MB525) ?
From 2ndBoot Release there is only 1 package for both Defy & Defy+.

Do I have to install the Custom Kernel separately ?
No, the Nightly Zip already includes the Custom Kernel, but there might be a newer kernel released without nightly. i.e. there is a never kernel (update_for_11.10_v2.zip for 11.10 build)

Must we change the Boot sequence to 2ndBoot in 2ndInit ?

No, the Upgrade does this for you.

Is a Data Wipe required ?
Only if you are coming from builds other than CM10 (Quarx's). There is no harm in doing a Data Wipe otherwise also.

My phone lags after Boot up.

Its a bug in the Custom Kernel. To solve just turn off Wifi/Internet, Screen Lock & keep idle for a couple of mins.

► I already have CM10 and I want to upgrade to a newer nightly, how can I do that?

Automatic update: (Using Defy ROM Updater)
1) Go to Settings ► About phone ► Additional system updates OR open Defy ROM Updater directly from the app drawer.
2) Tap Check for updates.
3) Select the newer version.
4) Select Start Download.
5) When the download finishes, install it.

Manual update:
1) Go to Recovery
2) Wipe Cache and Dalvik
3) Flash the last .zip file.
4) Flash gapps (just if you have a newer version of gapps, otherwise, this step is optional)
4.1) (ONLY DEFY RED LENS WITH PRE 2ND BOOT BUILDS) Flash battery fix (if you don't, the battery meter will display 1%)
5) Wipe Cache and Dalvik (this is also optional)
6) Restart.

► Is this ROM stable and ready for daily use?
Yes. In fact it's stable as CM7. Make a backup and try it by yourself.

► What's the difference between Quarx and Epsylon3 versions?
The new "2ndBoot” builds with custom kernel are avaible only from Quarx.
There weren’t recent updates from Epsylon lately, so if you want recent updates, and custom kernel improvements use Quarx’s builds.

NOTE: Always use the last version!

► Can I flash an Epsylon3's build over a Quarx's one without wiping data?
Yes, you can. Just follow the steps as if you were upgrading from a previous nightly. I didn't test coming from Eppy's to Quarx. EDIT: You can also flash Quarx builds over an Epsylon one without wiping data.

► What is full HWA? Is this a good thing?
This article explains everything:
"...Contrary to what we’ve always heard, Android has had some hardware acceleration for drawing 2D UI elements since before 1.0. Many of the animations we see every day on Android have been hardware accelerated the whole time. All “window compositing” is done using GPU-based hardware rendering.
Since Android 4.0 we have “full” hardware acceleration. All UI elements in windows, and third-party apps will have access to the GPU for rendering. Android 3.0 had the same system, but now developers will be able to specifically target Android 4.0 with hardware acceleration. Google is encouraging developers to update apps to be fully-compatible with this system by adding the hardware acceleration tag in an app’s manifest.
But hardware accelerated drawing is not all full of win. For example on the PVR drivers of devices like the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, simply starting to use OpenGL in a process eats about 8MB of RAM. Given that our process overhead is about 2MB, this is pretty huge. That RAM takes away from other things, such as the number of background processes that can be kept running, potentially slowing down things like app switching..."

► So, CM10 has full HWA? How can I enable it?
Thanks to the work of our developers on CM9, we have full HWA since the first alpha of CM10. HWA is enabled by default on CM10, so you don't have to do anything. However, you can select in which apps you want to enable it, with the HWA Selector, this app is preinstaled in all nightlys and it's easy to use.

► I'm on CM10 and a lot of apps give me FC and don't work properly
Make sure you have done a correct and clean instalation. Try wiping cache and dalvik.

► Why Google Now doesn't work for me? Why I just get regular google search?
That's related to the country you come from
USA ► pictures, knowledge graph, etc.
All the rest ► only normal google answers you also got from the website.
One solution is: In the search app, press Menu ► Go to Settings ► Privacy and accounts ► Search on google.com (activate this) and Location & Google search (deactivate this).
If this doesn't work, set your phone language to English.

► Why are some apps duplicated?
Make sure you flash the lastest Gapps or use a file explorer for root (as Root Explorer), go to system/app and delete duplicated apps (gallery and camera are more common)

► Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) with red lense and what are the advantages? thanks to G00fY2
Because Defy+ has same camera as normal Defy with red lense, you can use its Gingerbread kernel and the MB526 builds. With green lense Defy you have to use Froyo kernel and MB525 builds to have working camera. But beside the use of 4 instead of 3 Vsel CPU steps there are no real advantages in using GB kernel. Both are based an 2.6.32.9 Linux kernel. Also you have to install a seperate battery fix, when using Defy+ build with normal Defy, because it has different battery size.

► I lose my data connection every time, is this error related to this rom?
No, it's a common bug related to others roms too. Check this post.

► I've just installed a new rom, and my battery indicator suddenly drops, is this a bug? Do I have to re calibrate it?
That's not a bug. Battery always show wrong percentajes when you flash a new rom. Wiping battery stats will not make any difference.
The solution is simple: You don't have to do anything. Charge your phone to 100% and wait one cicle of charge. Your battery stats will correct automatically. Your system always automatically "wipe" the stats when you charge your phone.

► How can I overclock and undervolt my Defy? And what are the advantages?
You can make your phone faster and your battery last longer. Check this article.

► I have problems with WiFi connections, my network get disconnected.
Make sure you don't have the "Avoid poor connections" option enabled. Go to Settings ►WiFi, press the menu button ►Advanced and uncheck Avoid poor connections.

► How can I change the DPI and keep play store compatibility? NEW

You'll need an file explorer. I recommend Root Explorer

1) Open Root Explorer
2) Go to /system and make sure that in the top says "Mount R/O". That means that the /system is mounted as R/W.
3) Long press on build.prop
4) Open with ► Text Editor
5) Scroll down until you see this line

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=240

and change that number for anyone that you want. You can try different numbers, I recommend 220, or 200.
This is how the line should be:

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=200

6) Menu ► Save changes.
7) That's it, when you reboot the resolution will be changed.

IMPORTANT: In order to fix the market compatibility, go to stable recovery and flash the right patch. DOWNLOAD

I'll keep updating this thread with your contributions, please feel free to correct me or suggest new questions.

Last edited:

cdlq456

Aug 4, 2011
Last edited:

h1manshu

Oct 25, 2011
Chandigarh
yes, but the op of that post just have the instalation instructions. The idea is post here the same questions that are asked over and over in the development thread

angry-no-l.png

mato_d007

Feb 24, 2012
San Luis
Very nice!
Just some corrections:
5) Flash CM9 Kernel (JUST FOR DEFY RED LENS USERS)
5) Flash CM7 Kernel

Never flash a kernel after the ROM, Epsylon said this long time ago, because you can revert some changes made in the ROM. You just have to flash the kernel BEFORE the ROM.
This happens when you flash and old version of Gapps, if you flash latest versions this bug is not present.

And something i want to add to the OP:

If you flash this ROM on Multiboot (on your SD card) you WILL experience lag, flash it as main system before come here to complain about that. :p

Thank you for your work!

cdlq456

Aug 4, 2011
Very nice!
Just some corrections:

Never flash a kernel after the ROM, Epsylon said this long time ago, because you can revert some changes made in the ROM. You just have to flash the kernel BEFORE the ROM.

This happens when you flash and old version of Gapps, if you flash latest versions this bug is not present.

And something i want to add to the OP:

If you flash this ROM on Multiboot (on your SD card) you WILL experience lag, flash it as main system before come here to complain about that. :p

Thank you for your work!

Thanks for your help! I'll edit the op in a while

calmira

Jun 24, 2012
When you want to flash from CM9 you can try without data wipe . It wordek for my very well :D Just wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache.;)

On the other hand, when I tried to do it without the data wipe, the OS was very slow and applications stopped responding often. After wiping it completely, it's fast and snappy. So YMMV a lot, and I recommend using SMS Backup and Restore[ and doing the factory reset.

vaserbanix

Nov 12, 2010
Bucharest
F.A.Q. for CM10 Jelly Bean on Motorola Defy and Defy+

- How to update from previous nightly's?

1) Go to recovery
2) wipe cache and dalvik
3) flash the last .zip file
4) flash gapps
5) wipe cache and dalvik
6) restart

Make sure you flash the lastest gapps or use a file explorer for root (as Root Explorer), go to system/app and delete duplicated apps (gallery and camera are more common)

no need to flash gapps every time update the nightly
or put a (....) and write "only you have an update for it"
a noob will flash a gapps every time update the nightly
ps. to many wipe cahe and dalvik
one on the begining is enough

Last edited:

ciogs

Jan 10, 2011
Guarulhos
Anyone knows why my wi-fi does not work properly?

I just do everything that the first post says but but I only managed to connect once. It took about 30 minutes to connect and disconnect after 20 minutes.

Maybe got somethin' with WPA2.

cdlq456

Aug 4, 2011
no need to flash gapps every time update the nightly
or put a (....) and write "only you have an update for it"
a noob will flash a gapps every time update the nightly
ps. to many wipe cahe and dalvik
one on the begining is enough

i will clarify that, but that's the process that i've followed since my first cm7 builds (wipe before restarting) and NEVER have any problem with fc or bootloops or anything like that.

leandeganis

Feb 4, 2012
Buenos AIres
Another thread for this? I'm confused now, where are the BUG REPORTS supposed to be reported? under this thread? under the [support] thread? :mad:

G00fY2

Apr 14, 2011
vaserbanix is right, no gapps needed. Never hearded about this when just updating to new build, cause the will stored in \data not system.

Also you should add links Epsylons download link and links to kernels, battery fix and so on. Maybe the best way, is to just link to [Support] - [JB] CM10 Android 4.1.1 for the Defy(+) for questions about installation.

Maybe an other good point for FAQs:

Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) red lense and what are the advantages?
Because Defy+ has same camera as normal Defy with red lense, you can use its Gingerbread kernel and the MB526 builds. With green lense Defy you have to use Froyo kernel and MB525 builds to have working camera. But beside the use of 4 instead of 3 Vsel CPU steps, and possibility for 720p recording there are no real advantages in using GB kernel. Both are based an 2.6.32.9 Linux kernel. Also you have to install a seperate battery fix, when using Defy+ build with normal Defy, because it has different battery size.

Last edited:

cdlq456

Aug 4, 2011
vaserbanix is right, no gapps needed. Never hearded about this when just updating to new build, cause the will stored in \data not system.

Also you should add links Epsylons download link and links to kernels, battery fix and so on. Maybe the best way, is to just link to [Support] - [JB] CM10 Android 4.1.1 for the Defy(+) for questions about installation.

Maybe an other good point for FAQs:
Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) red lense and whats the advantage?
Because Defy+ has same camera as normal Defy with red lense, you can use the same Gingerbread kernel and the same builds. With green lense Defy you have to use Froyo kernel to have working camera. But beside the use of 4 instead of 3 Vsel CPU steps, there are no real advantages in using GB kernel.

thanks. i'll add it to the OP

Reactions: G00fY2

G00fY2

Apr 14, 2011
Thanks, but I habe edited my post and improved my answer. So please use this for first post.:)

vaserbanix

Nov 12, 2010
Bucharest
Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) red lense and whats the advantage?
Because Defy+ has same camera as normal Defy with red lense, you can use the same Gingerbread kernel and the same builds. With green lense Defy you have to use Froyo kernel to have working camera. But beside 4 instead of 3 clock-steps, there are no real advantages in using GB kernel.
porhaps is only my opinion but the GB2.3.6 kernel is most stable on overcklok than froyo kernel
froyo kernel was made for Defy red/ green and cloked to 800mhz and it run to1000mhz
up on that value it give more restarts then GB2.3.6 wich i took it to 1.3ghz without problem
maybe is wrong my opinion but i test its with many rom's

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Frequently Asked Questions
    CyanogenMod 10
    Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Motorola Defy and Defy+

The FAQ has been updated with some information about the 2nd Boot builds with custom kernel thanks to the collaboration of the user sa3e1 who rewrte some parts of the FAQ. If you have any suggestions, corrections or some information to add, please send me an MP. For more information about JB please visit the Motorola Defy Wiki With JB Status

Before doing anything:
    ►Always start the procedures with 80% - full charge battery (if your battery die during the process, you can still go Mcgyver)
    ►Make a backup of your apk's (using Titanium Backup for example) and a nandroid backup from recovery.
    ►If you have any problem, don't blame CyanogenMod Team, Quarx, Epsylon3, the FAQ or whatever. This ROM works (except the known bugs), if it's not working for you, it's mostly because you used wrong versions or are doing something wrong.

► INDEX

- Where can I download all that I need?
    - NEW What builds are "2ndBoot"?
    - NEW Is this ROM for Defy or Defy+?
    - NEW I don't have CM10 and I want to install it, how can I do that?
    - NEW I already have CM10 and I want to upgrade to a newer nightly, how can I do that?
    - NEW Is this ROM stable and ready for daily use?
    - NEW What's the difference between Quarx and Epsylon3 versions?
    - Can I flash an Epsylon3's build over a Quarx's one without wiping data?
    - What is HWA? Is this a good thing?
    - So, CM10 have HWA? How can I enable it?
    - I'm on CM10 and a lot of apps give me FC and don't work properly
    - Why Google Now doesn't work for me? Why I just get regular google search?
    - Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) with red lense and what are the advantages?
    - I lose my data connection every time, is this error related to this rom?
    - I've just installed a new rom, and my battery indicator suddenly drops, is this a bug? Do I have to re calibrate it?
    - How can I overclock and undervolt my Defy? And what are the advantages?
    - I have problems with WiFi connections, my network get disconnected.
    - NEW How can I change the DPI and keep play store compatibility?​

► Where can I download all that I need?

Download Link (Quarx's builds) | Mirror | Official Thread
    Download Link (Epsylon3's builds) | Mirror
    Kernels | Battery Fix for red lens | New Battery Fix | Gapps (Use the last gapps-jb-2012XXXX-signed.zip)

► What builds are "2ndBoot"?

24.09 builds and before ► Normal Builds
    10.10 builds and after ► 2ndBoot Builds

► Is this ROM for Defy (MB525) or Defy+ (MB526)?

For 2ndBoot Builds:

Both, since Quarx’s "2nd boot” builds we have a universal build with custom kernel supporting all Defy variants (Defy Green Lens, Defy Red Lens and Defy+). This means that the same .zip file works on the Defy green lens, Defy red lens and Defy+.

For PRE 2ndBoot Builds:

Defy Green Lens ► Froyo Kernel ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb525.zip
    Defy Red LensGingerbread Kernel ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip
    Defy+No Kernel Needed ► CM10-2012XXXX-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip

Don't know if you got green or red lens? Click here.

► I don't have CM10 and I want to install it, how can I do that?

Pre-steps:
    ► Your phone has to be roooted.
    If this is the first time you install a custom rom (if you have stock froyo) you'll have to root your phone, install 2nd init (custom recovery), and some other things.
    If you aren't familiar with this concepts, these posts will be useful for you:
    All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide
    FAQ | Guides |Tutorials for Defy
    [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx

► Download all the files that you need and put them on the sdcard.
    ► Charge your phone until you have 80-100% battery.
    ► Make a backup of your apps and a nandroid backup of your rom (everything you have on your phone will be deleted).

For 2nd Boot Builds
    4) Flash CM10-********-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip
    4b) Install kernel update if available (for instance the update_for_11.10_v2.zip for 11.10 nightly)
    5) Flash Gapps.
    6) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
    7) Restart.
    Note: Sometimes you'll have to remove the battery and restart the phone.

For MB526 and PRE 2ndBoot Builds
    2) Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and go to advanced ► Wipe dalvik.
    3) Go to Install zip from sdcard ► Choose zip from sd card.
    4) Flash gb Kernel (JUST FOR DEFY RED LENS USERS).
    5) Flash CM10-2012xxxx-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip.
    6) Flash Gapps.
    7) Flash Battery fix (only for red lens)
    8) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
    9) Restart.

For MB525 and PRE 2ndBoot Builds
    4) Flash froyo kernel
    5) Flash CM10-2012xxxx-NIGHTLY-mb525.zip.
    6) Flash Gapps.
    7) Wipe Cache and Dalvik again (recommended).
    8) Restart.

A little FAQ extracted from the Wiki for some 2nd Boot Builds doubts:

Where is the Package for Defy (MB525) ?
    From 2ndBoot Release there is only 1 package for both Defy & Defy+.

Do I have to install the Custom Kernel separately ?
    No, the Nightly Zip already includes the Custom Kernel, but there might be a newer kernel released without nightly. i.e. there is a never kernel (update_for_11.10_v2.zip for 11.10 build)

Must we change the Boot sequence to 2ndBoot in 2ndInit ?

No, the Upgrade does this for you.

Is a Data Wipe required ?
    Only if you are coming from builds other than CM10 (Quarx's). There is no harm in doing a Data Wipe otherwise also.

My phone lags after Boot up.

Its a bug in the Custom Kernel. To solve just turn off Wifi/Internet, Screen Lock & keep idle for a couple of mins.

► I already have CM10 and I want to upgrade to a newer nightly, how can I do that?

Automatic update: (Using Defy ROM Updater)
    1) Go to Settings ► About phone ► Additional system updates OR open Defy ROM Updater directly from the app drawer.
    2) Tap Check for updates.
    3) Select the newer version.
    4) Select Start Download.
    5) When the download finishes, install it.

Manual update:
    1) Go to Recovery
    2) Wipe Cache and Dalvik
    3) Flash the last .zip file.
    4) Flash gapps (just if you have a newer version of gapps, otherwise, this step is optional)
    4.1) (ONLY DEFY RED LENS WITH PRE 2ND BOOT BUILDS) Flash battery fix (if you don't, the battery meter will display 1%)
    5) Wipe Cache and Dalvik (this is also optional)
    6) Restart.

► Is this ROM stable and ready for daily use?
    Yes. In fact it's stable as CM7. Make a backup and try it by yourself.

► What's the difference between Quarx and Epsylon3 versions?
    The new "2ndBoot” builds with custom kernel are avaible only from Quarx.
    There weren’t recent updates from Epsylon lately, so if you want recent updates, and custom kernel improvements use Quarx’s builds.

NOTE: Always use the last version!

► Can I flash an Epsylon3's build over a Quarx's one without wiping data?
    Yes, you can. Just follow the steps as if you were upgrading from a previous nightly. I didn't test coming from Eppy's to Quarx. EDIT: You can also flash Quarx builds over an Epsylon one without wiping data.

► What is full HWA? Is this a good thing?
    This article explains everything:
    "...Contrary to what we’ve always heard, Android has had some hardware acceleration for drawing 2D UI elements since before 1.0. Many of the animations we see every day on Android have been hardware accelerated the whole time. All “window compositing” is done using GPU-based hardware rendering.
    Since Android 4.0 we have “full” hardware acceleration. All UI elements in windows, and third-party apps will have access to the GPU for rendering. Android 3.0 had the same system, but now developers will be able to specifically target Android 4.0 with hardware acceleration. Google is encouraging developers to update apps to be fully-compatible with this system by adding the hardware acceleration tag in an app’s manifest.
    But hardware accelerated drawing is not all full of win. For example on the PVR drivers of devices like the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, simply starting to use OpenGL in a process eats about 8MB of RAM. Given that our process overhead is about 2MB, this is pretty huge. That RAM takes away from other things, such as the number of background processes that can be kept running, potentially slowing down things like app switching..."

► So, CM10 has full HWA? How can I enable it?
    Thanks to the work of our developers on CM9, we have full HWA since the first alpha of CM10. HWA is enabled by default on CM10, so you don't have to do anything. However, you can select in which apps you want to enable it, with the HWA Selector, this app is preinstaled in all nightlys and it's easy to use.

► I'm on CM10 and a lot of apps give me FC and don't work properly
    Make sure you have done a correct and clean instalation. Try wiping cache and dalvik.

► Why Google Now doesn't work for me? Why I just get regular google search?
    That's related to the country you come from
    USA ► pictures, knowledge graph, etc.
    All the rest ► only normal google answers you also got from the website.
    One solution is: In the search app, press Menu ► Go to Settings ► Privacy and accounts ► Search on google.com (activate this) and Location & Google search (deactivate this).
    If this doesn't work, set your phone language to English.

► Why are some apps duplicated?
    Make sure you flash the lastest Gapps or use a file explorer for root (as Root Explorer), go to system/app and delete duplicated apps (gallery and camera are more common)

► Why can I use Defy+ (MB526) builds on Defy (MB525) with red lense and what are the advantages? thanks to G00fY2
    Because Defy+ has same camera as normal Defy with red lense, you can use its Gingerbread kernel and the MB526 builds. With green lense Defy you have to use Froyo kernel and MB525 builds to have working camera. But beside the use of 4 instead of 3 Vsel CPU steps there are no real advantages in using GB kernel. Both are based an 2.6.32.9 Linux kernel. Also you have to install a seperate battery fix, when using Defy+ build with normal Defy, because it has different battery size.

► I lose my data connection every time, is this error related to this rom?
    No, it's a common bug related to others roms too. Check this post.

► I've just installed a new rom, and my battery indicator suddenly drops, is this a bug? Do I have to re calibrate it?
    That's not a bug. Battery always show wrong percentajes when you flash a new rom. Wiping battery stats will not make any difference.
    The solution is simple: You don't have to do anything. Charge your phone to 100% and wait one cicle of charge. Your battery stats will correct automatically. Your system always automatically "wipe" the stats when you charge your phone.

► How can I overclock and undervolt my Defy? And what are the advantages?
    You can make your phone faster and your battery last longer. Check this article.

► I have problems with WiFi connections, my network get disconnected.
    Make sure you don't have the "Avoid poor connections" option enabled. Go to Settings ►WiFi, press the menu button ►Advanced and uncheck Avoid poor connections.

► How can I change the DPI and keep play store compatibility? NEW

You'll need an file explorer. I recommend Root Explorer

1) Open Root Explorer
    2) Go to /system and make sure that in the top says "Mount R/O". That means that the /system is mounted as R/W.
    3) Long press on build.prop
    4) Open with ► Text Editor
    5) Scroll down until you see this line

Code:
    ro.sf.lcd_density=240

and change that number for anyone that you want. You can try different numbers, I recommend 220, or 200.
    This is how the line should be:

Code:
    ro.sf.lcd_density=200

6) Menu ► Save changes.
    7) That's it, when you reboot the resolution will be changed.

IMPORTANT: In order to fix the market compatibility, go to stable recovery and flash the right patch. DOWNLOAD

I'll keep updating this thread with your contributions, please feel free to correct me or suggest new questions.
    Great workaround against battery drain in sleep mode!

If someone has battery drain in sleep mode, you can try to do this steps:
    1. Reboot phone. Wait for 10-15 minutes.
    3. Insert the USB - nothing happens on the phone. (Notifications Debugging and connect via USB does not appear).
    4. Take out the USB.
    5. Reconnect USB wait minute or so.
    6. Take out the USB.
    Now device should sleep correctly.
    Tested on latest CM10-20121018-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip with update update_for_18.10.zip

This is a really great workaround against battery drain in sleep mode! :good: :good: :good:
    This method works very well for me and is always reproducable!

Before I had about 45 mA/h (2,5 %/h) while deepsleep during day (with 3G on) and about 30 mA/h (1,8 %/h) while deepsleep during night (by using JuiceDefender app, 3G and WIFI are off most of the time).

After appliing this method (which unfortunately has to be done after every reboot), i have just about 25 mA/h (1,5 %/h) while deepsleep during day and about 8 mA/h (0,5 %/h) while deepsleep during night, which are similar to the good numbers I had under Gingerbread.

BTW, using KSM, zRam and Swap don't influence battery drain, at least not significantly, in my experience. I got the above mentioned drains with KSM and zRAM enabled!

However, disabling "settings > location > access to my location" and "google > maps and latitude" options, as posted a couple of times on the development thread, *does* have some impact on battery drain, so I keep these options disabled.

I'm reading the development thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768702 for a couple of weeks now and unfortunately it seems that they haven't taken notice of -=lov=-'s great finding yet. :( I think that there is something about the USB drivers not properly initialized in the Custom Kernels yet, which leads to the much discussed battery drains. I'm quite sure that this should be fixable by Quarx.

Unfortunately, I cannot post in the development thread yet (actually this is my very first post because I found this topic this so important).

Therefore I would like to ask somebody on this FAQ thread to try this method himself and give a hint
    on the development thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768702, so that the
    developers and especially Quarx can take notice and finally fix the battery drain caused by the USB driver
    bug (or whatever it is). :fingers-crossed: :highfive: :victory:
    Thank you for your support!

Thanks to -=lov=- for his great finding and to Quarx for his superb CM10 ROM and Custom Kernel (if he is reading this thread nonetheless...) :D
    Okij

My current config: Defy+, Quarx CM10 2012-10-18 NIGHTLY + Custom Kernel from 24.10.,
    19@300, 34@600, 49@900, 59@1100 / Interactive / SIO / KSM enabled / zRam 18%
    Sleep mode

If someone has battery drain in sleep mode, you can try to do this steps:
    1. Reboot phone. Wait for 10-15 minutes.
    3. Insert the USB - nothing happens on the phone. (Notifications Debugging and connect via USB does not appear).
    4. Take out the USB.
    5. Reconnect USB wait minute or so.
    6. Take out the USB.
    Now device should sleep correctly.
    Tested on latest CM10-20121018-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip with update update_for_18.10.zip

yes, but the op of that thread just have the instalation instructions. The idea is post here the same questions that are asked over and over in the development thread.

I did this for helping some users, and i'm sure some of them will find this useful.
    What are the '2ndboot' builds? I mean, what is '2ndboot'. They are flashed as usual? Any link i can read about 2ndboot?

2ndboot builds are unified builds(means one build for both the defy and defy+ users unlike earlier builds). Also 2ndboot builds contain CUSTOM KERNEL meaning features like ZRAM, KSM etc can be implemented to boost the performance of the ROM.

About Flashing, YES they are flashed as usual.,i.e if upgrading from previous CM10 builds:
    1) Wipe Cache and Dalvik.
    2)Flash Rom
    3)Flash Gapps
    4)Wipe Cache and Dalvik again & Reboot

and if coming from different builds(like CM7,CM9 etc)
    1)Wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik
    2)Flash Rom
    3)Flash Gapps
    4)Wipe Cache and Dalvik again & Reboot

Hope this helps you and ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING NEW ROM. :)