[FAQ] [REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, T-Mobile Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919)

Search This thread

znk_dunkar

Nov 11, 2011
karachi
How to ROOT your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 on a Mac / Linux PC using Heimdall​

How to ODIN back to stock after messing up trying to flash a ROM or rooting.​

How to ODIN back to COMPLETE stock (Reset flash counter as well).​
brother i am runing a rom , and m bootloader is Mk2 now, i want to sell my phone so i want to get back to stock , can you guide me can i flash 4.2.2 ?? on Mk2 ?? is any thing happen ? i am afraid that MK2 is downgradeable or not ? i always use rom to upgrade my phone , andi flash MK2 bootloader thru Odin

Reactions: willdoe

jmberumenb

Dec 31, 2007
El Paso
One question

Can I Flash an M919V to M919 just using only odin without any problem?

M919VVLUFNB5 to M919UVUFNB4 ?

Thanks for any help!!

happyhourtx

Feb 5, 2011
i didnt see the m919 listed for this guide? can i still use the links provided to root? kind of confused.
ive rooted all my phones, but since i didnt see this model in the list, i got confised.

s4hacker

Dec 4, 2013
no calls or texts

Can any1 help?? This happend trying to flash hyperdrive rom RLS 15 for tmobile

I didn't know i had to install the compatibility zip the first time and I had no working wi-fi or 4G network.* This time i flashed rom then flashed compatibility zip. Now wi-fi works. But no 4G network I can't even make calls or send or receive texts..any solution did I do something wrong.??? I then flashed back to my normal rom nemesis 2.5 and now I get a 4g signal but can't make or recieve calls or texts . also meid says unknown and phone number says unknown?? Can any1 help me??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-26-04-30-41.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-26-04-30-41.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 289

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Can any1 help?? This happend trying to flash hyperdrive rom RLS 15 for tmobile

I didn't know i had to install the compatibility zip the first time and I had no working wi-fi or 4G network.* This time i flashed rom then flashed compatibility zip. Now wi-fi works. But no 4G network I can't even make calls or send or receive texts..any solution did I do something wrong.??? I then flashed back to my normal rom nemesis 2.5 and now I get a 4g signal but can't make or recieve calls or texts . also meid says unknown and phone number says unknown?? Can any1 help me??

Fisrt you posted in the wrong section.
Sounds like you're doing some funky crap with your S4, compatibility zip? WTF! You should go back to your NANDROID you did when the phone was working properly..... this is why you NANDROID.
You may have to find stock Samsung firmware and Odin back to stock /original, then start over, but take the proper steps as you flash and back up so you don't have to panic in the forum . Look in "development" section for return to stock using Odin .

Pp.

Sent from my bluetooth equipped toaster using mind control.

Aug 26, 2014
Hi guys.. I've tried every method to go back to stock firmware after doing a custom ROM on my galaxy s4 SGH-M919 but nothing works and was wondering if anybody could just help by providing me a copy of their original ROM back up so I could flash mine back to stock... Think it might work? Suggestions and help would be appreciated thanks :)

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010
Hi guys.. I've tried every method to go back to stock firmware after doing a custom ROM on my galaxy s4 SGH-M919 but nothing works and was wondering if anybody could just help by providing me a copy of their original ROM back up so I could flash mine back to stock... Think it might work? Suggestions and help would be appreciated thanks :)

Can you please list what methods you've tried (ideally with links to the forum post) so that we know what you've actually attempted?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

Aug 26, 2014
Can you please list what methods you've tried (ideally with links to the forum post) so that we know what you've actually attempted?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app
Really I've tried flasing md5.tar files posted out from XDA threads using Odin but none of it seems to work right now I'm officially running slimkat on my SGH-M919 T-Mobile device... I had a back up with the stock ROM but I accidently formatted my SD card and the problem is that I'm currently residing in Mexico... I don't know if that's an issue or what not but I think that's the easiest way to get back to stock cuz really I've tried pretty much flashing every stock firmware tar file out therebut none of them seem to work... Luckily my phone has never hard bricked :\ please help if anyone could provide me with a solution :(

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Oh and sorry I didn't mention it... But the reason I've gone tocustom ROM in the first place was because I was hoping that doing a custom ROM on it was gonna Sim unlock it how it previously did on a captivate device I had back then :/ big mistake lol

Aug 26, 2014
did you make sure phone was in download mode and also did you have you drivers installed on computer so that odin would recognize the phone with those 2 things it should go back to stock

everything is being done right... when i try to flash the md5.tar file i get this on my samsung screen:

PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x1
CSB-CONFIG-LSB:0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: ENABLE
EMMC BURST MODE ENABLED

START[224,1440]
SW REV CHECK FAIL:FUSED: 5 BINARY: 1

IT SOFT BRICKS SO I HAVE TO FLASH THE CURRENT CUSTOM FILES IM CURRENTLY IN AFTER DOING THE PROCESS AGAIN...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Aug 26, 2014
I did but kies wont evento recognize muy phone.. I uninstalled the drivers thinkin that might have been the problem reinstalled them and nothin :( im going craxy out here lol

Aug 26, 2014
Sammobile just posted up the latest firmware brother and was able to take it back to stock... the other files must have been corrupted just like you said. Finally got it to work thanks brother

linuxfirebird

Sep 8, 2013
Welcome to your device. The Samsung T-Mobile Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919) is a great device! Why don't we learn about it before we go any further?

Galaxy-S4-T-Mobile-246x300.jpg

Other names associated with this device:

This device is NOT a:

Device Specs:

Unique Features:

Great! What Android versions can be ran on this phone?

Cool, but I'm a noob, what should I start off with?

Okay, I see.. but I don't quite understand what flashing, nandroiding, tweaking, etc. mean?

This was written by benjamingwynn and brought over to the Vibrant section by Woodrube, so thanks goes out to them!

Okay, I think I'm ready to begin! Where do I start?

You have a few ways to go here..

But before we continue, let me explain something to you. Our phones have this 'flash counter' built in.
There is a way to reset it after you've triggered it, so don't be alarmed.

Flash counter? What's that?

Ah, okay.. is there anyway to bypass that?

Yes and no.

How to get root easier and faster, triggering the counter:

NOTE: You CAN reset your flash counter to 0 using an application developed by Chainfire called Triangle Away which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

What can I do now that I have root?

What can I do now that I have a custom recovery?

Credits and Thank you's:
- s15274n for his great guides and borrowed words!
- Woodrube for his great guides and borrowed words!
- Anyone else I may have missed.

Note: I will update this thread daily and keep everything current.
These are my ways of flashing my device and they have worked perfectly, there are other ways as well and they have been posted.
So look around if you find this confusing!

Wowww...
I am using xda-developer site since many years but today I ready this forum and really its gives excellent information.
Thanks a lot ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to your device. The Samsung T-Mobile Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919) is a great device! Why don't we learn about it before we go any further?

Galaxy-S4-T-Mobile-246x300.jpg

Other names associated with this device:
    • SGS4
    • Galaxy S4
    • SGH-M919
    • M919

This device is NOT a:
    • GT-I9500
    • GT-I9505
    • SGH-1337
    • SCH-1545
    • SPH-L720
    • SCH-R970

Device Specs:
    Size and Weight:
    - 5.4 x 2.7 x 0.3 inches
    - 4.6 ounces

Operating System and Processor:
    - Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)

Battery Life:
    - up to 15.5 hours talk time
    - up to 18 days standby time

Memory:
    - 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM

Connectivity:
    - Sync methods: Bluetooth, WiFi, USB, NFC
    - 4G Capable
    - Wi-Fi Calling
    - Audio and Multimedia
    - T-Mobile TV
    - GPS and Apps
    - GPS enabled

International:
    - UMTS: Band I (2100);UMTS/HSPA+: AWS Band IV / 2100 / 1900 / 850;Band II (1900);Quad Band GSM;LTE
    - Hearing Aid Compatibility
    - M3

Unique Features:
    • S Beam
    • Screen Share
    • S Voice
    • Smart Stay
    • Extended Gesture UX/Motion
    • Pop-up Play
    • Burst Photo
    • Best Photo

Great! What Android versions can be ran on this phone?

JellyBean - 4.2.2 - TouchWiz ROMs are 4.2.2 and there's a few CM10.1 ROMs out there still.
    JellyBean - 4.3- CM10.2 ROMs are rolling out but remember, you may encounter bugs as it is still a WIP (Pretty stable, though.)

Cool, but I'm a noob, what should I start off with?

My suggestion to you is for you to run some TouchWiz ROMs to get you comfortable with the flashing, nandroiding, tweaking processes and then move on to something else. Above all read and search.

Okay, I see.. but I don't quite understand what flashing, nandroiding, tweaking, etc. mean?

* - anything and everything possible. A good example would be "All my friends live at 10* Croxley Street." This is saying that they are all live at 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 and 109.

Dev - See developer.

Developer - A man or woman who has created (developed) software.

ROM - 1. A modified version of the Android operating system operating system. 2. Read Only Memory, a place where information is stored and can not be destroyed, modified or written to.

AOSP - "Android open source project" a project by Google Inc. to give android to developers and manufactures for free (see open-source)

Open-source - (not to be confussed with free) A peice of software that is free to edit, use, distribute and share with no charge.

CM - See cyanogenmod

Cyanogenmod - A free open-source project based on the AOSP. It is a modded (see modded) version of the Android firmware

Firmware - see ROM (1)

Stock - An unchanged version of something. Example: I just flashed stock sense

OTA - "Over the air" a term used to indicate software that was sent to phones directly through the internet to their phones.

FOTA - "Firmware over the air" this normally refers to ROM's but can refer to radio firmware (see OTA)

Firmware - a piece of software to make hardware function correctly. This can refer to Radio Firmware, but is normally used as another name for ROM (1)

Radio - (not to be confused with Radio Firmware) A piece of hardware that allows communication. There are 3 main radios in your phone. Bluetooth, WiFi and GSM/CDMA.

Radio Firmware - (see firmware) a type of software that allows correct communication with the radio and the operating system. A newer firmware would normally improve battery life and call quality. The radio firmware only applies to the CDMA/GSM radio.

CDMA/GSM - A type of network communication between phones and carriers. GSM phones normally are included with SIM Cards that authorize them onto the network. CDMA have this authorization built in and do not need a sim card.

Kernel - An important part of all operating systems that handles the CPU and other vital components. A modded kernel may be used for overclocking.

Overclock - (not to be confused with underclock) to exced the default maximum CPU speed. This could make a phone more powerful but may cause damage. Although no damaged has been reported so far it could still drain battery life.

Underclock - to change your phones maximum frequency to LOWER than the default to attempt to extend the phones lifespan and battery.

Mod - A modification to a part of the phones software. It is also POSSIBLE to mod the phones hardware but is not recommended.

Modding - To perform a mod

Modded - to have included mods

Modification - see mod

Governor - a system embedded into the kernel to automatically change the current working CPU frequency depending on the workload. It would only go up to what it is overclocked (or underclocked) to, this is called the maximum frequency. It would not drop bellow the (just as eaisly configurable) minimum frequency.

Library's/Libs - a set of instructions for applications to use to function. A functioning camera lib would allow the camera to be used.

WFS - "Wildfire S" an armv6 device made by HTC in 2011.

Logcat - A logging system built into the ADB

ADB - "Android Debug Bridge" a system that can be accessed using a computer where you can manage the device from. You need the Android SDK to use it.

SDK - "Software Development Kit" a set of tools used for software development.

WIP - "Work In Progress"

JDK - "Java Development Kit" an SDK for the java platform. It is needed to run the Android SDK.

JRE - "Java Runtime Environment" a collection of binarys and files to allow java software to execute.

Execute - To "run" or "start" a binary

Binarys - (sometimes called bin's) a group of executable files.

RAM - Could be one of three meanings: 1. Memory for the CPU to process processes. 2. Random Access Memory, a place where information can be used, executed from, modified, or deleted. 3. A type of sheep.

SD - Short term for MicroSD

Marvel - A gsm version of the phone

Marvelc - The cdma version of the phone

Marvelct - A rare Easten CDMA version of the phone.

Marvel* - all versions of the HTC Wildfire S (see *)

GB - Could mean one of two things. 1. Gingerbread or 2. Great Britain

Gingerbread - Android 2.3

Froyo - Android 2.2

Honeycomb - Android 3.x. it was never released or ported to the wildfire s because it was built for tablets.

Ice cream sandwich / ICS - Android 4.0. The latest version of Android.

CM9 - Cyanogenmod 9. A modified version of ICS. (see cm)

JellyBean / JB - Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 - The latest version of Android.

CM10 - Cyanogenmod 10. A modified version of JB. (see cm)

RUU - "ROM Update Utility" An automatic installer for Radio Firmware, ROM and HBOOT

HBOOT - The bootloader for all modern HTC Android phones.

Custom recovery - A o version of the stock HTC recovery to install unoffical ROMs.

AFAIK - "As far as I know"

KANG - The process of creating a code based of someone else's code.

Zipalligned - This is something that makes a ROM faster. If you can improve this please contact me!

Deodexed - Where ODEX files are moved into the actual applications

APK - "Android Package" an Android application

This was written by benjamingwynn and brought over to the Vibrant section by Woodrube, so thanks goes out to them!

Okay, I think I'm ready to begin! Where do I start?

You have a few ways to go here..

But before we continue, let me explain something to you. Our phones have this 'flash counter' built in.
    There is a way to reset it after you've triggered it, so don't be alarmed.

Flash counter? What's that?

The flash counter is a binary counter built in Samsung phones that is used by Samsung to basically help identify if you have been tampering with your firmware and flashing unofficial software.

Each time you flash unofficial firmware via Odin, your binary flash counter goes up by 1.

Ah, okay.. is there anyway to bypass that?

Yes and no.

How to get root easier and faster, triggering the counter:
    Chainfire has developed an way to flash a custom recovery and root your phone.

Visit this thread to download and see the many features it has: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294005

Big thanks goes out to him for making things so simple!

NOTE: You CAN reset your flash counter to 0 using an application developed by Chainfire called Triangle Away which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

What can I do now that I have root?

• You can backup your apps using Titanium Backup found in the Google Play store.
    • Use apps that require root.
    • Etc.

What can I do now that I have a custom recovery?

• Make a NANDROID backup of your current setup and restore that backup!
    • Flash ROMs, modems, kernels, themes, etc.
    • Wipe data, clear cache, etc.

Credits and Thank you's:
    - s15274n for his great guides and borrowed words!
    - Woodrube for his great guides and borrowed words!
    - Anyone else I may have missed.

Note: I will update this thread daily and keep everything current.
    These are my ways of flashing my device and they have worked perfectly, there are other ways as well and they have been posted.
    So look around if you find this confusing!
    Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Qs)

Q: I flashed back to stock, but my phone hangs at the Samsung logo, what do I do?
    A: Don't forget after you ODIN, you have to boot into stock recovery, wipe data and cache, reboot!

Q: How do I get into Recovery Mode?
    A:
    1. Unplug the USB cable.
    2. Shut down the phone.
    3. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME UP' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 5 seconds to enter Recovery Mode.

Q: How do I get into Download Mode?
    A:
    1. Unplug the USB cable.
    2. Shut down the phone.
    3. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME DOWN' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the 'VOLUME UP' button to enter Download Mode.
    How to ROOT your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 on a Mac / Linux PC using Heimdall​

How to ODIN back to stock after messing up trying to flash a ROM or rooting.​

How to ODIN back to COMPLETE stock (Reset flash counter as well).​

Useful Links and Resources​

• How to SIM Unlock your S4: Here
    • [GUIDE] Better Battery life when Idle: Here

Useful Downloads​

• Odin Program:
    • ODIN v3.07: Here

Stock File:
    • T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 UVUAMDL (Android 4.2.2) | ODIN FILE: Here

Recoveries (ODIN):
    • [CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch: Here
    • CWM Recovery (Non Touch) (IMG File): Here
    • STOCK Recovery (Touch) (IMG File): Here
    re: 4.2.2 roms

How would I know if I were able to flash 4.2.2 Rom or not? Just give it a try and if it works then im good and if not it will say error or what (I am just asking so I don't try something and screw things up)

Also kinda off topic but Ive been trying to Flash a jfltexx Rom which is the GT-9505 int variant, I tend to use alot of their Roms and never have problems but latley when flashing aosp based roms like omni it says that i could only use jfltetmo builds, I was thinking that I could flash a TW based build like Foxhound or something then factory reset and flash from there and maybe it would register as a jfltexx but so far no luck. Thanks again

Personally I stay away from roms like that, I just stick to the
    M919 Samsung Jellybean Touchwiz based custom roms.

Don't get me wrong I tried basically all of those AOSP/AOKP/CM/GE/KitCat and the Ported roms
    but found that they all have one thing in common, they are basically stripped bare from all the niceties
    and the bells and whistles which make the M919 Tmobile Jellybean Touchwiz based roms so excellent.

Since I am really not too much into those other roms, I would hate to guess at giving you or anyone
    else any suggestions as to how to fix any issues you are having with those other roms.

As far as trying to go back to the M919 4.2.2 Jellybean Touchwiz based custom roms go it's easy,
    just make a nandroid backup of your existing rom and see for yourself, if you don't get any errors
    or other unusual issues trying to flash those roms then then you are Ok and need not worry about
    the KNOX pox.

Remember there are only three ways to get KNOX on your phone as you saw in my previous post.

Good luck!