Farewell to titanium backup. Looking for alternative.

Search This thread

vukis

May 5, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi.

Just had and upgrade from OnePlus 6t to OnePlus 7 pro. I was thinking, that it's gonna to be easy walk in the park using my old friend Titanium backup. Ow how I was wrong. I used "migrate system data" checkbox checked
  1. Every third user app force closes after restore from titanium backup
  2. All user settings bluetooth / wifi pairings was was not restored successfully. Didnt even tried messages and call logs, as I read in play store comments, that it's also a failure
  3. Box.com backups of app got's corrupted. Downloaded backups verification fails with "error with properties of backup". In details it shows: has data:yes, has app:No. But folder size is same as on source system. Simple to test on single device: backup any app, upload to box.com. Uninstall app and delete it's backup. Sync back from box to titanium backup. And this app is not restoreable anymore. Same test succeeds with google drive. Wrote support, but no answer. Ended moving files between devices via oneplus file manager file dash.
  4. Folder organizer labels does not work anymore
  5. How I can backup and move titanium settings and labels from one device to another? "Auto sync tb settings" checkbox does not generate any file on source device for me
  6. UI issues trimming part of the labels / texts

And it's not only me. See one of the most thanked comment on play store from 2019-03-18:
App data backup / restore works, but that's about it. * It only backs up the main .apk file in a split apk. Restoring a backup of split apk will most likely cause the app to crash.Google is pushing app bundles hard, so these will become more and more common. * It doesn't backup Messages / call logs correctly (DB location moved to /data/user_de/0 sometime in Kit-Kat? This backs up the old location) * Backups occasionally fail reporting no space left, despite having more than enough available * Lots of UI issues, such as dark text on dark buttons - nearly illegible * Developer is unresponsive to support emails

I don't want to say farewell to my old beloved friend, but lack of support and such issues is not acceptable for me. Any recommendations for reliable backup app?

Shadeclan

Jan 7, 2017
Bennington, VT
This open-source backup/sync app supports FTP and MTP and works great!

I have used FreeFileSync myself and I'm sure that it would work with your phone / SD card.
Still no app that can do a backup/restore of apps/data on a de-Googled phone.

xerel89

Jul 20, 2022
Austria 🇦🇹
This open-source backup/sync app supports FTP and MTP and works great!

But this app only works on the PC and is not installable on the mobile phone, did I understand that correctly?

EngineerMind

May 5, 2007
But this app only works on the PC and is not installable on the mobile phone, did I understand that correctly?
This app is designed to only backup files on your internal memory and because it supports MTP, it should be able to backup those files from your phone to the PC without having to install any app on your phone because this app will access those files as if your phone was a memory stick.

EngineerMind

May 5, 2007
NeoBackup is still pretty rough around the edges. Interface is missing things like labels for rows of check boxes, settings buttons don't all work and backing up stuff seems to make it disappear. Think I'm going to have to wait a little longer for a decent Titanium Backup alternative.
It's actively being developed right now, so your best bet to get those bugs fixed is to report them asap because I don't know of anyone else working on a root-mode backup program that has even a fraction of the features of NeoBackup, so you'll be waiting a very long time for another app.

Here's the link to report bugs:

Shadeclan

Jan 7, 2017
Bennington, VT
It's actively being developed right now, so your best bet to get those bugs fixed is to report them asap because I don't know of anyone else working on a root-mode backup program that has even a fraction of the features of NeoBackup, so you'll be waiting a very long time for another app.

Here's the link to report bugs:
Got it. Thanks.

Reactions: EngineerMind

dedq

May 14, 2015
Belgrade
can i use swift to backup my netflix app and restore when i install a new rom? because i used tested it with my youtube vanced app and it didnt work. The app just kept crashing.
I didn't try it with netflix. My YouTube works totally fine after being restored.

In case it doesn't work just back up the data and everything else and reinstall the application. Restore the data after that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.

Just had and upgrade from OnePlus 6t to OnePlus 7 pro. I was thinking, that it's gonna to be easy walk in the park using my old friend Titanium backup. Ow how I was wrong. I used "migrate system data" checkbox checked
    1. Every third user app force closes after restore from titanium backup
    2. All user settings bluetooth / wifi pairings was was not restored successfully. Didnt even tried messages and call logs, as I read in play store comments, that it's also a failure
    3. Box.com backups of app got's corrupted. Downloaded backups verification fails with "error with properties of backup". In details it shows: has data:yes, has app:No. But folder size is same as on source system. Simple to test on single device: backup any app, upload to box.com. Uninstall app and delete it's backup. Sync back from box to titanium backup. And this app is not restoreable anymore. Same test succeeds with google drive. Wrote support, but no answer. Ended moving files between devices via oneplus file manager file dash.
    4. Folder organizer labels does not work anymore
    5. How I can backup and move titanium settings and labels from one device to another? "Auto sync tb settings" checkbox does not generate any file on source device for me
    6. UI issues trimming part of the labels / texts

And it's not only me. See one of the most thanked comment on play store from 2019-03-18:
    App data backup / restore works, but that's about it. * It only backs up the main .apk file in a split apk. Restoring a backup of split apk will most likely cause the app to crash.Google is pushing app bundles hard, so these will become more and more common. * It doesn't backup Messages / call logs correctly (DB location moved to /data/user_de/0 sometime in Kit-Kat? This backs up the old location) * Backups occasionally fail reporting no space left, despite having more than enough available * Lots of UI issues, such as dark text on dark buttons - nearly illegible * Developer is unresponsive to support emails

I don't want to say farewell to my old beloved friend, but lack of support and such issues is not acceptable for me. Any recommendations for reliable backup app?
    Necrothreading here :p. But in 2020 Titanium still freezes on split APKs and doesn't support DE app data. I also took a look at Swift but immediately rejected it because it won't run even in a basic mode without GApps and a sign-in - useless when testing developer ROMs where the gapps might be broken.

Any other 2020 root backup solutions that work?
    had the same issue, but I fixed it with disabling this android setting: "Verify apps over USB". This setting is under system > developer options, so you will have to enabled developer mode..

I found this advice elsewhere, so I thought I'd put it here too. I'm looking for an alternative for titanium, (I'm happily using SMS Backup and Restore), but haven't found anything I like just yet.
    I think I found alternative: Swift backup.
    Supports all new android features (split apks + permision restore). Also app has extremely active and supportive telegram group with app author in constant contact with users. Requested one feature, and it got implemented in a few moments!
    Swift is perfect

Sent from my OnePlus7Pro using XDA Labs
    SWIFT requires GAPPS. If you're trying to move away from Google, it won't work.

I have noticed on my own phone that Titanium Backup often does not restore the APK properly. However, I have had great success with it in restoring app data and I can always download and install the app from APKMonk, APKMirror F-Droid or my backup APK. Unfortunately, without GAPPS, the Titanium Backup PRO key will not work and the free app is too limiting. Titanium Backup does have the capability of using a license file and I have tried multiple times to contact the programmer to acquire or re-buy the license file but I have heard nothing back from them since I started pestering them a month ago, not from their TitaniumTrack website, not from the legacy page and not by direct email to Mr. Bourquard. I'm going to keep trying but there have been no updates to the app in Google Play since 24 Nov 2019 (the TitaniumTrack website has a change log but no update date). I hope he isn't dead ... :(