Fast Charging Stop working after latest Android P update

Search This thread

Alcagoita

I was wondering if this is a temporary problem, (before it appends sometimes) but now, my phone never "Fast Charges".
I'm using the cable and charger that's in the original box.

Is there any solution to this?

My phone: No root, security patch June 5, latest beta update.

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
I only have the issue with the pixel on the beta, the other one that I have in the normal build works like a charm (same charger).

Have no idea if this is a known bug...
I'm sure everyone would be reporting it if it were. Very strange though. Why not try another charger out of curiosity to see if it works with it? I'd be interested to see if it did

Reactions: Alcagoita

noidea24

May be placebo. Just because you don't get the notification doesn't mean it's not fast charging. Only way to really know is download ampere and compare charging rates to a phone that does report fast charging.

My phone doesn't get any type of message anymore after certain mods, however, my phone still charges at roughly 3.0 amps

MLGDash

Jul 30, 2016
Hello,
I can confim this issue.
Google Pixel with Android P Beta 3 is not fast charging.
I tested it with a power meter and it showed 8 Watts, which is very low compared to fast charging which uses 18 Watts.
Before I joined the beta program it worked just fine.
Using default power brick btw.

dberend

Dec 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Can also confirm it's not working on DP3. Doesn't matter charge level, cable or power block it's only drawing about 500ma to 800ma. It is agonizingly slow. Fell asleep waiting for some power. Woke up from the nap and thought, "Alright, it's gotta be at 100%." Nope just 53%

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jaytv

Jul 24, 2007
No problems here, both before and after DP3 OTA and then a factory reset to clear up some fingerprint scanner issues.

EDIT: Try a backup and factory reset...

dberend

Dec 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I figured mine out, I think. I'm assuming there is some type of thermal throttling in the Quickcharge spec, I haven't looked.

It's hot where I live and the aluminum back on the phone seems to absorb every bit of heat when I go outside. It's about 100°F (38°C) at 8:20PM so it never really cools off. When I'm back inside it takes a while to cool off especially if I put it on a charger.

jswclw

Aug 1, 2010
Springfield, VA
Can anyone confirm that the factory reset does in fact bring fast charging back? I've had about enough slow charging.

Seriously considering getting out of the preview program to get fast charging back. As someone said, it's not just slow, it is excruciatingly slow!

Reactions: Zwitterion

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Can confirm this on DP4. Has anyone figured this out? It's driving me nuts. I'm about to flash back to Oreo despite P being the most meaningful Android version upgrade in recent years.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Flashing Android P DP5 has not fixed this. Admittedly, I have flashed using flashall.bat without the "-w" in order to avoid a complete wipe. However, I can't imagine this is relevant to this issue as this isn't a dirty flash, but cleanly replacing the prior OS. So what's up?

astropods

Apr 29, 2007
Texas
I read on another forum booting into safe mode and charging will restore the fast charging. I did it and it worked for my Essential phone. Boot to safe mode and charge for a bit and reboot and it should be working again. The post said if not leave it in safe mode till fully charged and then reboot.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
I read on another forum booting into safe mode and charging will restore the fast charging. I did it and it worked for my Essential phone. Boot to safe mode and charge for a bit and reboot and it should be working again. The post said if not leave it in safe mode till fully charged and then reboot.

How do you boot into safe mode?

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Guys, a bug has been logged with Google. Please go over there and make your voices heard!

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/111907705

dberend

Dec 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Google Pixel 4a 5G
How do you boot into safe mode?

I figure you got it already so before anyone else asks. From the very first search result on Google.

With the device powered on, press and hold the*Power button*(located on the right-edge) until the Power off prompt appears then release.

Touch and hold*Power off*until the Reboot to safe mode prompt appears then release.

Tap*OK*to confirm.*The restart process may take up to 45 seconds to complete.
Upon restart, "Safe mode" appears in the lower-left of the unlock/home screen.

Now you're in Safe Mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwitterion

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I only have the issue with the pixel on the beta, the other one that I have in the normal build works like a charm (same charger).

Have no idea if this is a known bug...
    I'm sure everyone would be reporting it if it were. Very strange though. Why not try another charger out of curiosity to see if it works with it? I'd be interested to see if it did
    May be placebo. Just because you don't get the notification doesn't mean it's not fast charging. Only way to really know is download ampere and compare charging rates to a phone that does report fast charging.

My phone doesn't get any type of message anymore after certain mods, however, my phone still charges at roughly 3.0 amps
    Hello,
    I can confim this issue.
    Google Pixel with Android P Beta 3 is not fast charging.
    I tested it with a power meter and it showed 8 Watts, which is very low compared to fast charging which uses 18 Watts.
    Before I joined the beta program it worked just fine.
    Using default power brick btw.
    Can anyone confirm that the factory reset does in fact bring fast charging back? I've had about enough slow charging.

Seriously considering getting out of the preview program to get fast charging back. As someone said, it's not just slow, it is excruciatingly slow!
    Factory reset didn't solve it for me either.
    Fast charging works while charging from my wife's pixel 2 charger. And her phone Fast charges too while using my charger.