Fast charging..........

Search This thread

AntonyL

Aug 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Hi,

I bought my phone in Israel and it turned out to be a Polish model.

The shop included a separate European style charger. Its output is:

5.25v and 1.0 A

It also incidentally has a led light on it which shows red when charging and is green when fully charged. Very neat and it solves part of the problem of the galaxy s2 having no led indicators.

Antony

Tri3Dent

Dec 1, 2008
It's weird because it seems like all of your stock factory charger has an output of 0.7a. The S2 we recently got in Canada included a factory stock charger (has Samsung logo and everything) with these specs:

Input: 100-240V ~50-60Hz 0.15A(0.15A)
Output: 5.0V = 1.0A

So, if that's the case, then 1.0A should be fine since Samsung have included a 1.0A charger in the Canadian market.

binary110

Apr 28, 2008
I checked one of the ones i have in stock here, The charger is 5v 1a.

Most electronics have a tolerance of 20% for input power. so that means that even a 1.2a charger should be fine.

JuniorGG

Jun 2, 2011
Venice
The point is: it is not the wall charger that is imposing the current, but the phone's internal battery charging circuitry actually requesting it to the wall charger.
This current cannot be higher than 0.7 A otherwise the wall charger would overload and possibly get damaged, and Samsung would not have included a 0.7 A charger as standard.
Therefore there's no point in trying to shorten charging time by using a wall charger with higher Amp rating. The extra current that this wall charger is able to provide would quite simply not be used.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

tjtj4444

Apr 11, 2011
The point is: it is not the wall charger that is imposing the current, but the phone's internal battery charging circuitry actually requesting it to the wall charger.
This current cannot be higher than 0.7 A otherwise the wall charger would overload and possibly get damaged, and Samsung would not have included a 0.7 A charger as standard.
Therefore there's no point in trying to shorten charging time by using a wall charger with higher Amp rating. The extra current that this wall charger is able to provide would quite simply not be used.

Phone chargers with micro usb cannot be overloaded if they follow specification, they are specified to limit the current by lowering the voltage when reaching the limit. This is how a phone is supposed to find out the maximum power from the charger (if less than what the phone could use).

Last edited:

JuniorGG

Jun 2, 2011
Venice
Yes, sure, but even so, i find it hard to believe that the charger is undersized...
I would of course be happy is it wasn't so! :)

BryanNL

Aug 3, 2011
I have a travel charger with which i charge more devices. Like my old LG. My iPhone. My digital camera etc.etc.
3eeef4c5-cee6-c9ac.jpg

3eeef4c5-cef5-1732.jpg

It outputs only 1A but its faster then stock charger. (0,7a) and my digital camera's charger (0,8a). I think i might go look for my Navi-device charger. (1,5a)

juamiso

Oct 15, 2010
Hi,

I am still waiting for my S2, but have some experience with SGS. If I charged through USB took 4 hours, with the stock charger 3 hours.

There must be more than one reason for not charging at 1.5A rates. One can be that batteries degrade more the faster you charge them. So if you charge it at 0.7 A, the battery life (2 years?) will be longer than if you charge it faster. This is a fact!

But, if you are in a hurry and need to charge as fast as you can, then I would say charge it at max rate. So, my suggestion would be to charge it slow (even per USB) if you can afford it (time-wise), and if you really need charging fast then grab a 1.5 Amp from Nokia or from whatever you like (with 5V).

It may however need some kernel tweaks to "use" the 1.5A from some chargers, I will have a look on that later on.

Cheers,

Juanma. (Electrical Engineer)

dickie2007

Jan 6, 2007
Portsmouth
I'm an electrician and mechanical/controls engineer so i thought i'd throw some info out there...

Throwing more current at a battery can indeed charge it faster providing there is nothing internally limiting it, whether that be software, resistors, IC, whatever... This increases the Watts (power) however and can shorten the lifespan of a battery over a period of time, as well as causing increases in heat produced by the battery whilst charging that may damage components not designed to withstand it...

I would say 1.2A is probably safe... i charge mine at night and never need a recharge during the day, so its of no interest to me either way lol...

Dickie

Last edited:

shantanuparadkar

Jun 6, 2011
is it harmful if I charge my phones even after it is fully charged? I mean will it be harmful if I charge it over night for about 8 hours.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

BryanNL

Aug 3, 2011
No, it will stop automatically.
No it won't .. It will charge to 100% and as soon as it drops again (e.g. 99%) it will start recharging. It will continue this cycle throughout the time you recharge.

And I have to say; if you do this very often you will defenitely mess up the memory of the battery. That gives you a shorter life-span of your battery.

BryanNL

Aug 3, 2011
Now m getting confused. One is saying it's safe and other is saying it's not

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

It IS safe. Only thing is, it f*cks up the memory over time!

In case your wondering: there's a switch in the phone, which stops the recharging in case of under/overvoltage.
This was originally implemented against short-circuiting. If your socket short-circuits, normally all electronics would be f*cked.,your phone won't be. It simply stops recharging when it detects something bad.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm no battery expert but wouldn't samsung have selected the amp level for a reason??

Yes, Price :p been issuing an (I think 1amp) old htc charger. Not sure I notice a difference in charge speed, though its possible it still helps when running flash, oced etc by helping power the phone more so the battery isn't picking up the slack and can maintain charging without load. And no more amps can't hurt,a load will pull what it needs (more volts WOULD be am issue) :) Its like a 1200 watt pc power supply to run grandmas pentium computer wouldn't hurt it, just be under utilized. Make sense?