• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fast dormancy

Search This thread

kar111

Apr 30, 2011
Recently I disabled fast dormancy using one of the dialer codes and my battery life increased greatly. I turned it back on an hour ago and battery life was poor comparitively.

So what is fast dormancy and can I just leave it disabled? Does it change the way my phone works etc etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

sexpest699

Oct 18, 2006
As far as i was aware, the issue was with wifi when not connected to a network would go crazy and drain battery. If you disable wifi when leaving home for example it dont happen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

d3l1

Nov 18, 2009
Very interesting:

" For this to work, both networks and smartphones have to implement the standardized version of the fast dormancy feature."

Maybe because some providers still don't support that feature a few users experience a huge battery drain due to that feature being missing from the provider side?

mdalacu

Dec 13, 2006
Bucharest
dmsimpleapps.blogspot.ro
If you have it enabled it will fall from H to 3G in 7 seconds when connection is idle, otherwise in 30 seconds. 7 seconds are to short it will lose time and battery renegotiating to H to often. Ex: when you read your rss feed it will renegtiate higher speed for every article you read, very annoying.
Belive me, you are better off by disabling it.

redbullman

Dec 15, 2009
I'm on T-Mobile in Essex with Galaxy S 2. I disabled fast dormancy and it completely crippled my data speeds. At home with speedtest I get up to 2000kbps. With fast dormancy disabled I was getting about 60kbps. On one run I got up to 600kbps, but generally under 100kbps.

I wonder why my speed was so badly affected?

Reactions: Harrysoon

kar111

Apr 30, 2011
I'm on T-Mobile in Essex with Galaxy S 2. I disabled fast dormancy and it completely crippled my data speeds. At home with speedtest I get up to 2000kbps. With fast dormancy disabled I was getting about 60kbps. On one run I got up to 600kbps, but generally under 100kbps.

T mobile is probably optimised their network to work better with fast dormancy. If thats the case, ure battery life shud be the same whether its on or off.

daleski75

Jul 21, 2008
Northampton

Just tried the same as I am also on t-mobile and get the same results as you.

DoPower

Jun 16, 2009
Atleast T-Mobile have it properly enabled then!

We just need to get T-Mobile to enable the HSDPA+ service which the 3 network have. I earlier someone who had the Galaxy S 2 on 3 got over 6000kbps! - amazing!

Here in Spain with Movistar:

SC20110607-081256.jpeg

Not too bad :p

gareth7o9

Nov 13, 2009
Atleast T-Mobile have it properly enabled then!

We just need to get T-Mobile to enable the HSDPA+ service which the 3 network have. I earlier someone who had the Galaxy S 2 on 3 got over 6000kbps! - amazing!

Me too. I did i speed test the other day on Three and was amazed. It's actually faster than my Sky Broadband both upload and download:

02d93bc4-f632-5630.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can check if your operator supports "fd" by disabling FD first and then using command *#0011#. If field "rrc state" shows state PCH and not idle then you can keep FD disabled.
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    (Mexico) Fast Dormancy in Iusacell and Telcel networks

Hi all,

I did lot of research about this topic, and I tested my Galaxy S3 for a couple of months with these networks, so I decide to share what I had discover for those who are interested to know if the Iusacell and the Telcel networks from Mexico has fast dormancy enabled:

Methodology

1. I had downloaded and flashed the stock ROMS for the ICS and the JB versions of the both carriers.
    2. With the help of this guide http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-disable-fast.html I copied the nwk_info.db and the telephony.db to examine both of them in my PC.

For TELCEL:
    3. I had opened the nwk_info.db and watched the data inside the tables, I put specially attention to the table nwkinfo, the field dormancy of the record of the Telcel Network has the value of OFF, and the dormpolicy had the record with the fields lcfontime and lcfofftime with the values of 0
    4. I decided to set those values to enable fast dormancy, then I used BetterBatteryStats to watch what happened, so the secril_fd-interface began to appear in the list of wakelocks with high time, (about 30 minutes in an hour of middle usage) and the battery began to dran faster (5% - 8% per hour in idle)
    5. I entered into the service mode *#0011# and watched what was happening. It goes from DCH to FACH in 20 seconds, then goes to IDLE, but it goes sooner to FACH or DCH in about 30-60 over and over again.
    6. I disabled fast dormancy and the phone drained battery about 1%-2% per hour in idle.

For IUSACELL
    3. I had opened the nwk_info.db and watched the data inside the tables, I put attention to the table nwkinfo, the field dormancy of the record of the IUSACELL Network has the value of ON, and the dormpolicy table had no records inside and the carriers table had the 3 apn records corresponding for the network configuration.
    4. I used BetterBatteryStats to watch what happened, so the secril_fd-interface began to appear in the list of wakelocks with very low time, (about 5 minutes with 6 hours of middle usage!!) and the battery drained slowly (1% per 4 hrs in idle aprox)
    5. I entered into the service mode *#0011# and watched what was happening. It goes from DCH to FACH in 5 seconds, then goes to PCH in about 10 seconds and stays there until network activity (internet messaging, browsing, e-mail scyncing, etc).
    6. I disabled fast dormancy and the phone drained battery about 2%-3% per hour in idle, and the network speed was a lot worse.

Conclusion;
    TELCEL: This network unfortunately doesn't have fast dormancy enabled yet, maybe sonn with the incursion of the LTE network.
    IUSACELL: This network has fast dormancy enabled, so you can enjoy the benefits of this technology.

Hope it helps to someone. ;)
    *#9900#

But do you know the answer to the question?

Recently I disabled fast dormancy using one of the dialer codes and my battery life increased greatly. I turned it back on an hour ago and battery life was poor comparitively.

So what is fast dormancy and can I just leave it disabled? Does it change the way my phone works etc etc?