Fastboot Boot Recovery.IMG not Working after Update

Search This thread

ReproOne

Aug 3, 2010
I have been using "fastboot boot recovery.img" to load into TWRP after OTA updates to load SuperSU as I am only rooted using the stock ROM. However, after this recent update (2.16.651.4) that includes the WiFi Calling and Android 4.4.3, when I run the command it just causes the phone to reboot. It does not reboot into TWRP, which is my recovery.img file.

I found a Nexus thread talking about having to add a kernel command line for the Nexus after a certain version of hboot, so I am not sure if it is related.

Does anyone know how to fastboot boot now with the latest update? I would like to avoid replacing my stock recovery with TWRP and just continue to boot into it. Alternatively, is there any other way to install supersu?

Thank you,

Ben

nfinitefx45

Apr 12, 2010
Abingdon, MD.
I have been using "fastboot boot recovery.img" to load into TWRP after OTA updates to load SuperSU as I am only rooted using the stock ROM. However, after this recent update (2.16.651.4) that includes the WiFi Calling and Android 4.4.3, when I run the command it just causes the phone to reboot. It does not reboot into TWRP, which is my recovery.img file.

I found a Nexus thread talking about having to add a kernel command line for the Nexus after a certain version of hboot, so I am not sure if it is related.

Does anyone know how to fastboot boot now with the latest update? I would like to avoid replacing my stock recovery with TWRP and just continue to boot into it. Alternatively, is there any other way to install supersu?

Thank you,

Ben

As a quick work around flash twrp onto the device, once done with it then flash the factory recovery back, Also check to make sure your bootloader didn't relock after update.

stock recovery from the update.

Last edited:

ReproOne

Aug 3, 2010
As a quick work around flash twrp onto the device, once done with it then flash the factory recovery back, Also check to make sure your bootloader didn't relock after update.

Thank you for the reply. I thought about taking that approach, but I was really hoping someone would have an answer on why the procedure wasn't working now. My bootloader is still unlocked.

I found this as an approach someone did on the Nexus 4 for a similar issue:

fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot customrecovery.img

Thoughts?

ReproOne

Aug 3, 2010
nfinitefx45:

I did just now flash TWRP into recovery, loaded SuperSU, and then flashed your recovery.img back to the phone. So thank you very much for the recovery.img.

I'd still like to know if fastboot boot can still work, and also if there is a way in the future I can get my own recovery.img (possibly back it up before taking an OTA)?

nfinitefx45

Apr 12, 2010
Abingdon, MD.
nfinitefx45:

I did just now flash TWRP into recovery, loaded SuperSU, and then flashed your recovery.img back to the phone. So thank you very much for the recovery.img.

I'd still like to know if fastboot boot can still work, and also if there is a way in the future I can get my own recovery.img (possibly back it up before taking an OTA)?

not sure about the fastboot issue, but to backup your recovery any time just go to adb and type the following
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard2/recovery.img

this will copy your recovery to the external sdcard

ReproOne

Aug 3, 2010
Thank you for those steps. I do not have an external SD card installed, so I modified it to store the recovery.img on sdcard instead.

Now I can always fastboot flash twrp and then back to stock recovery.

Thank you again!

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
not sure about the fastboot issue, but to backup your recovery any time just go to adb and type the following
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard2/recovery.img

this will copy your recovery to the external sdcard

You would need root to do this. Not being able to use "fastboot boot" you would just be backing up the flashed recovery. Possibly towel root temp root, but I would assume it has been patched in newest update.

neudof

Nov 24, 2008
Mayer, MN
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
So I am S-On with a non-HK M8
I was on stock rooted 4.4.2 and I flashed the stock recovery and took the OTA
Now I am on 4.4.3 and still have SuperSU installed (not rooted)
Everything is working fine, but when I try to boot to recovery i get the red triangle with the !

Any suggestions?

xPhantom

Apr 16, 2010
So I am S-On with a non-HK M8
I was on stock rooted 4.4.2 and I flashed the stock recovery and took the OTA
Now I am on 4.4.3 and still have SuperSU installed (not rooted)
Everything is working fine, but when I try to boot to recovery i get the red triangle with the !

Any suggestions?

That's the stock recovery. Did you ever flash a custom recovery back on after the OTA?

ReproOne

Aug 3, 2010

I just applied the update released today, and I tried to save the recovery.img file before flashing TWRP. However, it kept giving me permission denied. Do you have the recovery.img file from the update released today so I can use it for the next update?

nnamathy

Sep 24, 2013
fastboot not working

please any help on how to access fastboot on HTC one m8.
its showing black screen n fastboot mode...
wot can I do 2 annul d problem

jinal shah

Nov 22, 2014
rooting problem

hey i am using htc one m8, i unlocked the bootloader and the device reads as
device status modified
*unlocked*
s-on
after this i flashed twrp and cwm a couple of times but its not loading on the device but shows success in the command window, however after clicking on recovery the custom recovery does not show up, and it reboots back into the fastboot mode.
please help me
thank you

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
hey i am using htc one m8, i unlocked the bootloader and the device reads as
device status modified
*unlocked*
s-on
after this i flashed twrp and cwm a couple of times but its not loading on the device but shows success in the command window, however after clicking on recovery the custom recovery does not show up, and it reboots back into the fastboot mode.
please help me
thank you

What's the output in the terminal when you fastboot flash recovery?

jinal shah

Nov 22, 2014
rooting problem

It doesn't show any error as such.
In the command window it shows successful.
But when I click on recovery it reboots back to fast boot.
Like for a second it shows the screen which reads 'this build is only for developers'
But then instead of opening Twrp it reboots back to fast boot.