• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

fastboot for mac and linux

Search This thread

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
Hi all, I did a fastboot-mac that recognize our folio when in fastboot mode.

Just to recall what fastboot mode is: fastboot is an android state useful to flash and/or wipe images/partitions.

All version I tried didn't worked and then I compiled my own starting from the latest android sources.

This version works! Maybe some mac user like me could find it useful.

fastboot-mac.gz

And this is the linux version:

fastboot-linux.gz

Last edited:

gingerboy92

May 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G

Just to recall what fastboot mode is: fastboot is an android state useful to flash and/or wipe images/partitions.

All version I tried didn't worked and then I compiled my own starting from the latest android sources.

fastboot-mac.gz

fastboot-linux.gz

i have a question. i did not quite understand how fastboot will work on linux. or what would the function be?. can you help me explain a little?

kakkio

Jul 3, 2010
i have a question. i did not quite understand how fastboot will work on linux. or what would the function be?. can you help me explain a little?

for me the same... here what I found :

3) Get the latest version of fastboot from the android sdk
4) Boot folio into fastboot (switch on, after toshiba press 3x power and then volume up) and connect to pc via usb
5) go to the directory where the fastboot executable lives and type your command

Reactions: taxandria

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
I have a lot of problems to access my folio under windows. Because I use both mac and linux, for me is more handy to access the fastboot mode via those OSes.

In my understanding the fastboot ditributed with the android sdk does not include the latest code to handle the tegra2 platform; then this is the reason why I recompiled it for both mac and linux starting from the latest git sources.

There is another reason why is worth to use mac or linux : no drivers are needed to access the fastboot mode!

Btw, if your windows setup works, of course you don't need to use neither mac nor linux version.

Just to recap: the fastboot mode give you the ability to erase and write any partition on an android device. Is really easy to do it:
"fastboot devices" will list all android devices attached via usb in fasboot mode
"fastboot erase recovery" will erase the recovery partition
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will flash a new recovery.img in few seconds

I like fastboot mode because is more effective flashing a new distro and for my setup is useful because I do dual boot with ubuntu, replacing the recovery partition with the linux boot image.

Last edited:

taxandria

Nov 27, 2008
I Have a folio which is working on the normal android system, but when I tread to install foliomod a few months ago my folio got ****ed.!

i cannot enter recovery mode. This is the reason why i have to use fastboot right?

I'm on a mac and what are the precise instructions on making fastboot work? and what should i do to get my recovery working again?!

This is a part i do not get
'' go to the directory where the fastboot executable lives and type your command'' Directory??

When i run the mac file you provided i simple says : command not found, (while my folio is connected in fastbood mode!)

Please help me out! Thanks alot!

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
hi, first of all, you must install the android sdk.

go to: sdk and download android-sdk_r15-macosx.zip

then, decompress the zip file and move the created folder to the root of your boot harddisk.

well, now you have to download the basic tools: navigate to /android-sdk-mac_x86/tools and double click android. this will open the android manager

install at least Android SDK tools and Android SDK platform-tools (remove any other predefined download)

now decompress the fastboot-mac executable (from my first post) and move it to /android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools

ok; now open a terminal and type: "cd /android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools"
then try to type: "./fastboot-mac devices" it should show the list of currently attached devices in fastboot mode. often the device is displayed as "????????" it is ok.

if the last command doesn't work, maybe you need to give it execution permission with this command: "chmod +x fastboot-mac" and retry

try and let me know ;)

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
once you get your device in fastboot mode, look for a recovery.img and do as follow:

./fastboot-mac erase recovery
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery.img

then reboot in recovery mode and install what you want.

I suggest you to download the cwm betelgeuse recovery (cwm=clockworkmod).

taxandria

Nov 27, 2008
Roglio! Thanks in advance,
I'm going to try it out tonight after I finish work!

A quick question:

I haven't got my folio with me but when i try to do this:
ok; now open a terminal and type: "cd /android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools"

I get:

MacBook-Pro-van-Willem-Jan-van-Dun:~ willem-janvandun$ /android-sdk-macosx
-bash: /android-sdk-macosx: is a directory

MacBook-Pro-van-Willem-Jan-van-Dun:~ willem-janvandun$ cd/android-sdk-macosx
-bash: cd/android-sdk-macosx: No such file or directory

MacBook-Pro-van-Willem-Jan-van-Dun:~ willem-janvandun$ cd /android-sdk-macosx

Al different commands as you can see. Which is the good one?

Thanks!

taxandria

Nov 27, 2008
Roglio you are an hero!
You made my day!

Great job and keep up the good work! my little nephew will be so glad his tablet is working again!

Thanks!

Reactions: roglio

taxandria

Nov 27, 2008
One more question!

I installed foliomod and everything is working great! But how can i backup this complete rom? do i use Rom Manager? and whch clockworkmod should i install then?

THanks!!

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
Via fastboot you should already installed cwm. If not i suggest v0.3 based on cw 3028.

This recovery already has a backup functionality to save the whole system (data included) to an sd card.

One more question!

I installed foliomod and everything is working great! But how can i backup this complete rom? do i use Rom Manager? and whch clockworkmod should i install then?

THanks!!

Last edited:

XeBuZer0

Sep 12, 2012
Mexico
links broken !

multiupload-com/5EFKZ8IMT0"]fastboot-mac.gz

multiupload-com/91QOOXZHPY"]fastboot-linux.gz

I have the 2 operative systems, and the binaries are very useful on both cases, but the links are broken, can you upload them again ?
thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot-mac.gz

fastboot-linux.gz
    I have a lot of problems to access my folio under windows. Because I use both mac and linux, for me is more handy to access the fastboot mode via those OSes.

In my understanding the fastboot ditributed with the android sdk does not include the latest code to handle the tegra2 platform; then this is the reason why I recompiled it for both mac and linux starting from the latest git sources.

There is another reason why is worth to use mac or linux : no drivers are needed to access the fastboot mode!

Btw, if your windows setup works, of course you don't need to use neither mac nor linux version.

Just to recap: the fastboot mode give you the ability to erase and write any partition on an android device. Is really easy to do it:
    "fastboot devices" will list all android devices attached via usb in fasboot mode
    "fastboot erase recovery" will erase the recovery partition
    "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will flash a new recovery.img in few seconds

I like fastboot mode because is more effective flashing a new distro and for my setup is useful because I do dual boot with ubuntu, replacing the recovery partition with the linux boot image.
    I forgot to mention "fastboot -w" to wipe data partition and restore factory default
    :eek: sacrilege!!!! :D
    Now why would we want to use Mac.... anything :)

Thanks

Btw, there is also the linux version...

for me the same... here what I found :

3) Get the latest version of fastboot from the android sdk
    4) Boot folio into fastboot (switch on, after toshiba press 3x power and then volume up) and connect to pc via usb
    5) go to the directory where the fastboot executable lives and type your command