• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fastboot Strangeness, Having Issues Rooting/Installing ROMS

Search This thread
Mar 29, 2015
Phoenix
Hello!

I've been enjoying my rooted Pixel 5 but today I saw that the first Pixel 5 ROM is available so I went to go try it. Just like the instructions asked I tried to flash the ROM like it was a standard stock image since we don't have TWRP yet. Everything was going fine until it got to the part where it sent boot.img, it would fail at that point saying the partition doesn't exist. The exact error was...

HTML:
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)

I also did the 'fastboot -w' to wipe user data before rebooting as instructed, it just booted back into fastboot with the reason listed as "no valid slot to boot". After a while I figured out I could use 'fastboot flash boot_a /path/to/boot.img' to flash the slots manually and that booted me into stock Android, not the ROM. Even though I used the boot.img from the ROM, no ROM was installed.
After this I decided to go back to stock and flash Magisk again and wait until we have some more stable ROMs. annnnnnd that's where I realized I was in trouble. I tried doing 'flash-all.bat' like normal and it gave me the same error the ROM did. I then manually flashed the stock boot.img and set up the phone, once I was at the home screen I turned it off, flashed my prepared 'magisk_patched.img', all seemed to go just fine, but upon trying to reboot its stuck at fastboot again. I can get back to my homescreen by just flashing the stock boot.img but no matter what I try I cannot get it to reboot after flashing the patched image.

Things I have tried:

• Updating ADB/Fastboot
  • Reinstalling ADB/Fastboot
  • Updating USB Drivers
  • Flash to Stock and Retry
  • Repatch a new image using Magisk Canary
  • Lots and Lots of reboots
  • Several attempts at all of the above (last time I rooted it gave me errors and then just worked for no reason after some reboots and tries)
  • Above steps in Linux Terminal (Ubuntu WSL)

For the night I'm just going to flash the Stock boot.img so I can have my alarms and receive messages, but I'd really like to return to stock as I use Tasker frequently as well as some other applications that require root access. If anyone has any tips for how to get more consistent results when rooting, I have no idea why it works sometimes and not other times. If anyone knows how to solve these errors please let me know.

Thanks y'all

***EDIT - FIXED, NOT SOLVED***: I'm still unsure what caused it in the first place, but I was able to regain root by flashing the October update, patching a new boot.img from that update, and then flashing. I was previously using the latest November update. I think that when I tried to flash the ROM something went wrong and it left things behind, and I don't think my original flash back to stock worked completely because flashing the October update took about 4 times as long. I used Pixel 5 unlocked stock images from Google's website for both attempts so im not sure why one worked and the other didn't, but I am rooted. If anyone else is experiencing similar issues, try flashing to a previous software update and rooting that.

Last edited:

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
Hello!

I've been enjoying my rooted Pixel 5 but today I saw that the first Pixel 5 ROM is available so I went to go try it. Just like the instructions asked I tried to flash the ROM like it was a standard stock image since we don't have TWRP yet. Everything was going fine until it got to the part where it sent boot.img, it would fail at that point saying the partition doesn't exist. The exact error was...

HTML:
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)

I also did the 'fastboot -w' to wipe user data before rebooting as instructed, it just booted back into fastboot with the reason listed as "no valid slot to boot". After a while I figured out I could use 'fastboot flash boot_a /path/to/boot.img' to flash the slots manually and that booted me into stock Android, not the ROM. Even though I used the boot.img from the ROM, no ROM was installed.
After this I decided to go back to stock and flash Magisk again and wait until we have some more stable ROMs. annnnnnd that's where I realized I was in trouble. I tried doing 'flash-all.bat' like normal and it gave me the same error the ROM did. I then manually flashed the stock boot.img and set up the phone, once I was at the home screen I turned it off, flashed my prepared 'magisk_patched.img', all seemed to go just fine, but upon trying to reboot its stuck at fastboot again. I can get back to my homescreen by just flashing the stock boot.img but no matter what I try I cannot get it to reboot after flashing the patched image.

Things I have tried:

• Updating ADB/Fastboot
  • Reinstalling ADB/Fastboot
  • Updating USB Drivers
  • Flash to Stock and Retry
  • Repatch a new image using Magisk Canary
  • Lots and Lots of reboots
  • Several attempts at all of the above (last time I rooted it gave me errors and then just worked for no reason after some reboots and tries)
  • Above steps in Linux Terminal (Ubuntu WSL)

For the night I'm just going to flash the Stock boot.img so I can have my alarms and receive messages, but I'd really like to return to stock as I use Tasker frequently as well as some other applications that require root access. If anyone has any tips for how to get more consistent results when rooting, I have no idea why it works sometimes and not other times. If anyone knows how to solve these errors please let me know.

Thanks y'all
And you have usb debugging on

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
I actually did not have USB debugging enabled, but after doing so I have the same problem. Just tried to flash magisk with the two custom .img files I made last night, and my last confirmed working one, same problem as before. It successfully flashes, then bootloops til I reflash the stock boot.img.

Don't know if it will work but flash magisk on slot a and b
And just checking you done
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

Mar 29, 2015
Phoenix
Don't know if it will work but flash magisk on slot a and b
And just checking you done
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

I think I tried that last night, but I tried again just now with a new patched.img just in case. Flashed successfully but same problem. Here's my exact powershell input/output. For powershell I gotta use ./fastboot but its the same as running 'fastboot' in cmd. And I've using powershell with and without admin access.

HTML:
PS C:\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash boot_a ".\patched.img"
Sending 'boot_a' (98304 KB)                        OKAY [  0.469s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  1.993s]
Finished. Total time: 2.725s
PS C:\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash boot_b ".\patched.img"
Sending 'boot_b' (98304 KB)                        OKAY [  0.469s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  1.981s]
Finished. Total time: 2.713s

Just gets me back to the fast boot menu saying boot partition not found, just flashed the stock boot.img and I'm back at my home screen again. If its of any importance, I only had to flash the stock boot.img to slot a in order to get back to my home screen. Slot B should still be flashed with the patched.img, no root access on slot a though.

Edit: Do you think it would be helpful to relock the bootloader (since it returns everything to stock) and then re-unlock and re-root? Nevermind I forgot that re-locking makes it so you can't re-unlock. Won't do that.

Last edited:

Jimmy Stat

Mar 10, 2019
NYC & Louisville
how exactly did you flash the stock rom bc im lost on this process.... Heres where im at bc i cant get any help from the ProtonAOSP thread or anywhere. ive never flashed a rom without twrp and im lost now:

BC This is what ive been getting:
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip
unknown partition 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'

and now this fof Fastboot boot ZipFile
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot boot C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1-gapps.zip
creating boot image...
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::bad_alloc: std::bad_alloc

but what im not understanding is do u unzip it to platform-tools and use flash-all, like reverting back to stock? bc this is what i get when i dont unzip it and just copy it to platform-tools directory from my downloads folder. this is my first time flashing a custom rom and i just cant seem to get anyone to tell me exactly what i need to do or what im doing wrong. PLEASE HELP