Favorite font for reading books?

Search This thread

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
As stated, what is the font that you like most for reading books?
Does your reader app allow (and work correctly) with system fonts (i.e. /system/fonts/Roboto.ttf) or fonts on /sdcard?
Do you even use the stock B&N reader at all and do you find the font choice limiting?

My preference has been Caecilia for a long time.
I find Georgia too light and flourishy.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
Yes, I have used Caecilia exclusively on CoolReader for years. Customization of CoolReader was a nightmare but, eventually, I achieved results as good as the stock B&N reader. CoolReader provides 13 fonts and I haven't seen the need to add fonts, like Roboto, to /system/fonts/.

I would never consider using the stock B&N reader because the AORD dictionaries integration with CoolReader is invaluable. I use AORD dozens of times whenever I read. Wiktionary's foreign words, Collaborative Dictionaries quotations, and Wikipedia are also wonderful. It's a shame I can no longer update the AORD dictionaries because we're stuck forever on Android 2.1.

Renate

The Glow3 is a reasonable, but not great replacement for the NST.
They both have physical buttons.
The bezel on the G3 is larger than the NST, a step backwards.
The G3 has 4.4.2 vs. NST's 2.1
Still, even for an ereader, KitKat (4.4) is getting pretty old.

I'm just disliked the bezel on both the NST and G3 as they cast shadows and are great for collecting dust.
They both use the same zForce IR touch sensor which is insensitive to screen marks but very sensitive to dust on the bezel edges.
The NST zForce driver for the NST made internal state available so that you could use my Touch.apk to visualize where the stubborn dust/misalignment problem was.
The G3 zForce driver doesn't have that enabled.

Dictionaries can be handy, but selecting text with your finger can be pretty annoying, especially if there are footnote links too.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
I'm just disliked the bezel on both the NST and G3 as they cast shadows and are great for collecting dust...

Dictionaries can be handy, but selecting text with your finger can be pretty annoying, especially if there are footnote links too.

For years, I've eaten mixed nuts as I read without the least problem with the bezel edges of my NST.

Selecting text improves with years of practice, and I select first-up correctly about 80% of the time.

Incidentally, when I read books with foreign language sentences, as I currently am, I copy the text and paste into the desktop version of Google Translate within Opera Mobile. It is reliable and takes about 10 seconds all up. Not bad at all.

Renate

Mmm, well that's one point of view. Another point of view is that the reader is there for the words and that the publisher's idea of presentation is immaterial, especially when the publisher is not the author.

I usually go along with the formatting (but not the font) that the publisher has chosen unless it is so intrusive that I need to strip the CSS from the Epub.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Have you found a better font in the last 4 years? I was wondering the same thing. It would also be a pretty cool feature for a reader to incorporate partial word highlight for speed-reading.

Renate

I'm still using Caecilia. I can't say that I think about font at all.

You'd need a fairly low-level mod to a reader to make it selectively bold parts of words.
Would that be done at the word level or the sentence level?

I don't speed read. I usually slow read with lapses as my mind goes off into tangents