• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fcc Car Launcher [official thread]

What do you want: a split screen functionality or a normal launcher behavior?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Hi, thanks!

Here is the version for you. I fixed one bug which could cause excessive cycles in BT widget. But I don't know if it was the only one. I'm waiting for ANR on my test device (which takes time as you know).

Actually I think there should be more bugs causing ANR. But let's try this for now: fcclauncher-3.442_test81.apk

Update: ANR bug is still there...
Thanks, I'll try test81 anyway.

Could the excessive cycles in BT widget possibly have caused the Tasker crashes on my device, because the BT widget can send a broadcast intent that my Tasker project listens to?

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Thanks, I'll try test81 anyway.

Could the excessive cycles in BT widget possibly have caused the Tasker crashes on my device, because the BT widget can send a broadcast intent that my Tasker project listens to?
This version has much better chances to fix ANR. Please try this one: fcclauncher-3.442_test82.apk

Answering your question - I don't think BT widget could cause this. It was probably some stack overflow because of some cycle in the Fcc Launcher. It consumed all resources so nothing worked and even broadcasts were not delivered.

Reactions: dape16 and okij

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Thanks a lot, I'll check test82 then. (y)

In case I should still get ANRs, do you still need log files or just normal feedback?
Another important bug is fixed here: fcclauncher-3.442_test83.apk
Widget instances were added several times (on each launcher resume) so there were excessive updates. Now they are added only once. I don't know if this will fix ANR but this will definitely help with overall performance.

Update: works good so far!

Last edited:

tonimontoia

Feb 18, 2009
'maybe I understood the reason that crashes, whenever a player that has not been closed is started, but I have disabled the option not to restart

Reactions: okij

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Finally, I don't see any ANR error on my test device after a full night on test82. Which is promising.

Update: Oh no, caught ANR right after writing this message :(
Yep, I also caught an ANR this morning with test82 just one hour after installation, please see attached files.

When the ANR happened, FCC was in service mode (= pin lockscreen). I don't know if this is of interest for you, because I assume that the launcher screen (with all its widgets etc.) is still active in background anyway.

Another important bug is fixed here: fcclauncher-3.442_test83.apk
Widget instances were added several times (on each launcher resume) so there were excessive updates. Now they are added only once. I don't know if this will fix ANR but this will definitely help with overall performance.

Update: works good so far!
Thanks, I installed it right away and will see how it behaves in terms of ANR.🤞First impression is that the GUI runs a bit smoother.

'maybe I understood the reason that crashes, whenever a player that has not been closed is started, but I have disabled the option not to restart
An interesting theory that @SpeedFire- should have a look at.

I personally have configured FCC to restart the last used player after sleep, but at the same have configured Hal9k Mod4 to close players during sleep. The players are not configured to survive sleep, because they didn't resume properly after sleep when I tried this one to two years ago.

You wrote "whenever a player that has not been closed is started", but that's not the case here because my players get closed.

Nevertheless I get ANR errors, so I think that the reason for the crashes is something else.

Attachments

• Log_2021-10-28_08-57-56.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 6
  • anr_2021-10-28.zip
    167 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: SpeedFire-

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Yep, I also caught an ANR this morning with test82 just one hour after installation, please see attached files.

When the ANR happened, FCC was in service mode (= pin lockscreen). I don't know if this is of interest for you, because I assume that the launcher screen (with all its widgets etc.) is still active in background anyway.

Thanks, I installed it right away and will see how it behaves in terms of ANR.🤞First impression is that the GUI runs a bit smoother.

An interesting theory that @SpeedFire- should have a look at.

I personally have configured FCC to restart the last used player after sleep, but at the same have configured Hal9k Mod4 to close players during sleep. The players are not configured to survive sleep, because they didn't resume properly after sleep when I tried this one to two years ago.

You wrote "whenever a player that has not been closed is started", but that's not the case here because my players get closed.

Nevertheless I get ANR errors, so I think that the reason for the crashes is something else.

Thanks for your reports. Please test version 83. For me no ANR errors so far. Works better than before.
So I really hope that the bug is fixed (fingers crossed). Let's see how it goes for you.

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Thanks for your reports. Please test version 83. For me no ANR errors so far. Works better than before.
So I really hope that the bug is fixed (fingers crossed). Let's see how it goes for you.
Yes, I have installed test83 and will test it. This will take up to a week, because I usually got the ANR errors once or twice a week, just in the last two weeks they occured more often.

My fingers already hurt from crossing. ;) I also think that the repeatedly adding of widget instances could have lead to ANR errors, so I'm optimistic and I also really hope that the bug is fixed now. 🤞

Can you tell when you implemented the code to add widget instances on each launcher resume? This must have been while rewriting the widgets during the 3.442 test series, is this right?

Did you take notice of my other two bug reports that I posted in the last couple of days?

There still is a bug when placing App widgets: After placing, the layout is not correctly shown (e.g. only text instead of icon + text). Even after changing the layout in the Widget settings and pressing OK, the layout is not correctly shown, e.g. I set it to "Icon only" but it still showed only text. Only after resizing the App widget back and forth the correct chosen layout is shown.
I checked this issue in test82/test83 and it is still existent.

@SpeedFire- Another bug that I noticed in test80 (and likely also happened in some test versions before) is that the Minimap currently doesn't automatically switch between day and night mode.

It only switches when opening the Minimap settings. Then it switches instantly, without pressing any button.
AFAIR this I didn't observe this issue in test82/test83 yet. Did you fix it?

Reactions: rigattoni

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Yes, I have installed test83 and will test it. This will take up to a week, because I usually got the ANR errors once or twice a week, just in the last two weeks they occured more often.

My fingers already hurt from crossing. ;) I also think that the repeatedly adding of widget instances could have lead to ANR errors, so I'm optimistic and I also really hope that the bug is fixed now. 🤞

Can you tell when you implemented the code to add widget instances on each launcher resume? This must have been while rewriting the widgets during the 3.442 test series, is this right?

This bug existed in all 3.442 test versions. The more widgets were rewritten the more instances (of these rewritten widgets) were added. Therefore this bug may become more severe in the latest test versions in which almost all the widgets are rewritten.

Did you take notice of my other two bug reports that I posted in the last couple of days?

I checked this issue in test82/test83 and it is still existent.

I tried to reproduce it but with no luck. All works fine on my test android phone and PX5 unit. Can you show it on video?

AFAIR this I didn't observe this issue in test82/test83 yet. Did you fix it?
I fixed something related to day and night themes but for another reason. I hope this also helped with this bug.

kill_one

Oct 27, 2010
@SpeedFire-
with the test80 you did a great job! The widget player works well the covers always update the text, even when I change between poweramp and spotify for example it never stops and even when I wake up from standby, I found, however, when I press the play button (only the remote control on the steering wheel) and it pauses when I play again, the music of the poweramp always starts even if spotify is selected, if I do it from the widget keys it does not. Then if I launch navradio after a while the radio stops and it is no longer heard I have to change the player and then put it back to listen to the radio again then it works fine.
Then as you see from the photos now when I add a new page selection widget it has a different icon and font, how can I put the same one as before?
Did you also solve the crash of the steering wheel button remapping with test83?

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_160428.jpg
    IMG_20211028_160428.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20211028_160437.jpg
    IMG_20211028_160437.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: okij

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
This bug existed in all 3.442 test versions. The more widgets were rewritten the more instances (of these rewritten widgets) were added. Therefore this bug may become more severe in the latest test versions in which almost all the widgets are rewritten.
Yes, that makes sense.

I tried to reproduce it but with no luck. All works fine on my test android phone and PX5 unit. Can you show it on video?
Please see attachment.

I fixed something related to day and night themes but for another reason. I hope this also helped with this bug.
Unfortunately the Minimap didn't aututomatically switch from day to night theme at dawn this evening, so this bug is still existent. Only when I opened the Minimap settings it switched instantly, like I've observed before. It might be that some background task to change it automatically at dusk and at dawn doesn't seem to work right now.

Also it seems (not quite sure about this though) that the auto display brigtness (and its according widget icon) currently doesn't automatically change. Maybe these two issues are related.

Attachments

• 20211028_182311.mp4
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tonimontoia

Feb 18, 2009
always the same when a player starts after being at rest, and sometimes even just unplugging the machine and restarting the dasaita crashes, but sometimes the player crashes alternate

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
@SpeedFire- A first intermediate feedback for test83 after using it for one more day: So far no ANRs and the launcher still feels very fluid, better than the versions before. So I'm still very optimistic! :)

The weather icon still has a bug in test83 that has been reported by @mariodantas and confirmed by me before:

test77

in my case, weather widget when in current weather shows time until sunset !
I have also observed this issue.

Today I've catched a screenshot of this issue which I attached to this post.

Please have a look at this if you have some time. IMHO it's not high priority, whereas the issues that I reported yesterday in post #8,093 are more important to fix.

Attachments

• 20211029_144451.jpg
    20211029_144451.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
A first intermediate feedback for test83 after using it for one more day: So far no ANRs and the launcher still feels very fluid, better than the versions before. So I'm still very optimistic!
How is your test going on?

Regarding your bug with app widget put on screen and not changing its layout. I reproduced it and found the reason but can't fix it yet. It is really weird. The widgetID of this new widget is successfully added to a list array when it is put on screen however later the same list array doesn't have it. Only the app restart currently helps. Maybe multi-threading is the cause. I will keep trying to fix it.

Reactions: okij and rigattoni

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
How is your test going on?

Regarding your bug with app widget put on screen and not changing its layout. I reproduced it and found the reason but can't fix it yet. It is really weird. The widgetID of this new widget is successfully added to a list array when it is put on screen however later the same list array doesn't have it. Only the app restart currently helps. Maybe multi-threading is the cause. I will keep trying to fix it.

Last weekend (from Saturday to Monday) I didn't have to drive in my car, so there's not much update I can give. This morning I started the car two times and didn't have ANR issues yet with test83 and FCC works fluid. So it still looks good so far, but please give me some more days to test. :)

How about my other bug reports (1. day/night-theme in Minimap doesn't automatically change; 2. Weather widget erratically shows current weather and time until sunset)?

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Last weekend (from Saturday to Monday) I didn't have to drive in my car, so there's not much update I can give. This morning I started the car two times and didn't have ANR issues yet with test83 and FCC works fluid. So it still looks good so far, but please give me some more days to test. :)
Thanks
How about my other bug reports (1. day/night-theme in Minimap doesn't automatically change; 2. Weather widget erratically shows current weather and time until sunset)?
I am currently working on that bug with the app settings...

Btw I wasn't able to reproduce the bug with weather widget. Are there any suggested steps to reproduce it?

Reactions: okij and rigattoni

schloram

Nov 2, 2021
Hi,
sorry for interrupting. :)

I stumbled over the FCC launcher last week after I tested a few other launchers for my Android 10 head unit.

First of all: This app has everything of the other apps I tested combined. Thanks for your effort in bringing us an almost perfect launcher. :)

I was reading through some of the posts here and figured that some of the bugs I discovered in the newest Play Store version were already fixed in some test versions uploaded in this thread.

My question now is: When will these test versions result in a proper release to be downloaded via Play Store?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Long time no see but I got back on the bleeding edge (test 85 from the beta version in the Play store) in the hope of some support for button binding and other goodies on the CSN2 platform. Alas that turns out not to be the case, but overall the test version seems to be a bit snappier and I have not noticed any regression bugs from the Play store version with the exception of the following:

In the test 85 version when I hide the mini-map and then I display it again it stops tracking. Tracking resumes after interacting with the map in any way (for example, enabling the "north always up" option and then reverting to "direction of movement up").
    Hi, thanks for your feedback.

This bug should be fixed in this version: fcclauncher-3.442_test88.apk
    I've also made additional changes to ensure proper Time widget updates
    Thanks, the initial App widget settings bug is fixed in test87. :)

As I already mentioned yesterday, there's now a bug with the text alignment of App widgets, which doesn't stick and changes erratically when restarting FCC, please see attached video.

On my main FCC screen that you see in the video, I have the widget text "Wetter" right aligned and "Radar" left aligned to have them next to each other but look like one text field. The same applies to "Mod" which I have right aligned and "Einst." which I have left aligned.

At the start of the video, you see that they are properly displayed. At 00:14, 00:26 and 00:40 in the video you see different variations of these texts not being properly aligned, thus showing gapps between the texts.

In the settings of these widgets, the text alignment doesn't change when this happens. Only the actual display on the screen is buggy.

Please have a look after this bug. To reproduce it, you can use the backup which I sent you yesterday. The only difference in the video is that I placed an extra FCC Restart icon on the main screen.

Edit: For some reason, I couldn't add the MP4 to the post, so I had to zip it.

Can you please check this version: fcclauncher-3.442_test89.apk
    Faults are one thing but the constant efforts to fix them is first class. Thanks @SpeedFire-
    Several days of reconsidering of the widget update process resulted in this: fcclauncher-3.442_test84.apk
    1) Bug with layout not applied should be fixed.
    2) There was fixed another bug when some already deleted widgets were still in the update list.

We probably need to check the existence of the ANR bug from the beginning, because several parts of the app were modified. Please check the performance of the app - are there any negative / positive changes?
    fcclauncher-3.442_test85.apk
    - MiniMap day/night mode should be fixed
    Hi, all!

Welcome to the official thread for FCC Car Launcher - a customizable auto launcher for android head units (Rockchip MTCB/MTCD+ and FlyAudio) as well as android smartphones/tablets.

Its major features:
    - Full function launcher with supports of all standard third party android widgets
    - Deep integration with head units (MCU etc). My mission here is to implement as many functions in the launcher itself as possible. In case of Rockchip devices to get rid of most xposed modules (my deep respect to their authors, great job, but they sometimes slow down the device significantly) and replace them with the normal built-in functions.
    - Customization. The FCC Cat Launcher has some built-in customizable widgets which can help to make your home screen more personal (you can adjust widgets size, colors, features etc).
    - Built-in music widget with support of FM Radio (with ability to give names to radio stations), Spotify, Google Music, PowerAmp, PC Radio, Neutron and Stellio players.
    - One-click navigation widgets with quick route building (supports Waze, Google Maps, Yandex Navigator and other navigation apps).
    - Phone calls via connected phone using 'Ok Google call [name]' request or by clicking on built-in Contact widget.
    - Other features.

FAQ
    1. I love MiniMap but can you put other navigation app there?
    Unfortunately this is not possible. MiniMap is part of FCC and is based on Google Maps API for Android. It is not another app (not even a Google Maps app), that can be just replaced within the FCC interface. Android does not allow to integrate third party apps (navigation apps) inside another third party apps (FCC Launcher).
    If your head Unit supports Split Screen (ie can display Two apps at the same time), this can be partially done with split screen.

2. Is it possible to cache maps for MiniMap for offline use?
    - Yes. In the latest FCC Launcher beta version you can select Offline Mapbox map and download it to your device.
    - For Google Maps - No. Caching is directly prohibited by Google license for using Google Maps API (MiniMap). Moreover, Google even does not provide developers with such a caching API. Therefore you will need a constant internet connection to use MiniMap. The somewhat good news is that the map itself does some short-term caching on your device, so it saves some data (but not too much).

3. Notifications are only popping up for a split second / flashing. How to fix this?
    That means that animations are disabled on your device.
    - Go to the device's Developer settings: FCC settings - System - Advanced - Developer settings (if it asks for code - it's "7890" for AllWinner T8).
    - Scroll down and change 3 parameters "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animation duration scale" from "Animation off" to "Animation scale 1x".

4. Routing on Google Maps in MiniMap doesn't work. It asks for API key. What should I do?
    - Turn-by-turn navigation in built-in Google Map fragment is directly prohibited by Google. Therefore it is not possible to use it. .However if you have your own Google Developer account (Google Maps API key) you can use it to draw a simple route line on the MiniMap. Please note that it will NOT have any turn-by-turn data like distance to next turn or estimated time of arrival.
    I do not recommend to purchase Google Developer account just for this feature:
    - Google Developer account will cost money for you (a one-off payment) which is reasonable only if you really want to develop android apps.
    - Routing requests cost money. But currently Google provides a 200$ per month free usage for Maps, Routes, and Places every month which should be enough for individual usage.
    Links: Get API key, Pricing. Don't forget to enable Maps API and Directions API in your Google Cloud Console.

Tutorial:

Translation to your language
    Guys, many of you suggested your help with translation of the app to your native languages.
    I have setup a translation project on OneSky site.
    Here is the link: HELP TRANSLATE FCC CAR LAUNCHER

Links:
    Release
    channel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    Beta channel: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    (I would suggest to stick with the release channel since beta channel can be really buggy sometimes and is intended for beta testers only)

As a developer I will be happy to discuss with you any ideas or issues.

Here is a couple of tutorials:
    1) Quick look on home screen setup process:

How to write LogCat log:
    You need to have ROOT:
    1. Install LogCat Extreme LogCat Extreme
    2. Select VERBOSE level of details (very important) Video 1
    3. Write and send log: Video 2

Initial setup (do this if you see black screen):
    Important checkbox during first setup:
    giphy.gif

Please make sure to check that checkbox "Always allow FCC Launcher to add widgets..".

Full setup process:
    giphy.gif
    pity that the developer is not dedicated to solving several bugs of this fantastic launcher, too many bugs for daily use is not so good unfortunately

How the Hell can you say that when @SpeedFire- has dedicated 100's , if not 1000's of hours developing this launcher, and for peanuts !!

I remember a time last year when he was on vacation, and even then, each night he worked on FCC, fixing bugs and greatly improving what was already there.

FCC is probably one of the most COMPLEX apps on Playstore.

My understanding is that he basically developed FCC for HIMSELF, because he was not satisfied with what was currently out there, and was good enough to share his work with anyone wanting to try it.

Because of technical complexities, this launcher is designed and developed for a limited number of Android systems, but that number is increasing all the time as he add new Units to those currently supported.

If you go out and purchase some obscure, budget China unit, that is not supported, you cannot blame anyone but yourself, if then you experience issues.

Just because you paid the developer a few dollars because YOU CHOSE TO DO SO does not mean that you OWN him, and can demand that he jumps at your every call ... it's not his work -- it's his HOBBY -- and you probably knew that going in .. so lighten up and stop giving him such a hard time.

BTW, I am also a developer, and I can tell you, if anyone else got involved in this complex app, it would most likely get totally screwed up, and dye -- that is assuming one could even find someone who would be willing to put in the time for next to nothing, while having the technical ability to actually contribute anything to the project.

Thank you @SpeedFire- for clearly the best Android launcher on the market, and for all your time and dedication in constantly improving it. It is very much appreciated I am sure by the majority of those using it, and you will always have my full support going into the future.
    Guys!
    It seems that I've found the best solution for Normal / Split-Screen modes. Take a look:

Here is a short demo of two modes in the alpha version:
    1) Normal mode - launcher does not support split screen (bad) but behaves as a normal launcher and is not visible in the list of recent apps (good).
    2) Split screen mode - launcher supports 50/50 multi window mode (good) but is visible in the list of recent apps (bad).

Every user can select the preferred mode!
    The app is now returned to the Play Store :)
    New beta is out:
    - All skins are re-designed for 6x10 grid (instead of previous 6x7 grid). You need to re-apply skin if you want to switch to a new skin.
    - You can choose your favourite skin during first time setup process.
    - Time widget has new options to granually change Time and Date font sizes as well as to swap Time and Date positions
    - Re-written code for album arts in Player widget. Hopefully this will fix most issues.
    - Some other fixes.
    - For built-in skins Icons are automatically setup when put on home screen or moved (based on skins' settings for particular Icon slot).
    giphy.gif