• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fcc Car Launcher [official thread]

What do you want: a split screen functionality or a normal launcher behavior?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
Sorry for the delay. Chest Infection :( Ok test 96 installed, HU restarted etc. No change. Map still flashing. I have video'd it for you to see. At 0:38 and 1:40

Google Maps Flashing constantly

Something just came to mind. I wanted to have some iBUS widgets hidden behind the map. I have the Street Name button set up to Hide the map, thus displaying the iBUS widgets. This caused many problems, mainly the widgets and map alternating very randomly. I removed the widgets. I wonder whether you might consider implements a feature that allows us to see all created "place holders" active or otherwise. I have clicked on various parts of the left of the screen but not found anything hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedFire- and okij

shdwkeeper

Jul 22, 2021
I'm running the latest Hal9k and is there anyway to add a media player to the widget that doesnt come up in the list so it will display the album art? I'm using an app called iheartradio in the US and none of the info (album, artist, etc) appears in the launcher but when the Hal9k screen saver comes on all the info displays. How do we get this to happen in the launcher, to display album art and info no matter what media player is playing?

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Thank you! I just tested it and it basically fixes my issue, i.e. the Player widget on my setup now goes to the bottom of the screen and fully covers the wallpaper image.

However, now the progress bar of the Player widget isn't fully shown anymore, it's only 2 px instead of 6 px heigh, please see attached picture.

In test96 and before, one unit of my screen grid was 89 px heigh, so the 600 px height of my screen added up like this: status bar 64 px + screen grid 6 * 89 px + 2 unused lines at the bottom of the screen = 600 px.

In test97 it is like this: status bar 64 px + screen grid 6 * 90 px - 4 not shown lines at the bottom of the screen = 600 px.

For me personally test97 is OK, since the now only 2 px heigh progress bar looks nice to me (as I prefer it to be slim), but I don't know what other users think.

Couldn't you make the units of the screen grid different in height, so that they compensate for the rounding errors and add up to the full screen height?

For my vertical screen grid this would be: status bar 64 px + screen grid 89 px + 90 px + 89 px + 89 px + 90 px + 89 px = 600 px.

For my horizontal grid this would be: 102 px + 103 px + 102 px + 103 px + 102 px + 102 px + 103 px + 102 px + 103 px + 102 px = 1024 px.

Of course this mixture of 89 px + 90 px and 102 px + 103 px would have to be calculated based on the actual screen size and screen grid that is used. I guess that this makes it quite complicated if not impossible for you to implement. In this case I personally would prefer the implementation of test97 over the implementation of test96 and before.

I have two feature requests for the Player widget which I already asked some months ago, before you reworked the Player widget. Now I'd like to ask you again:
  1. Please add an option to set the height of the progress bar (this would also serve as a workaround for the screen grid implementation of test97).
  2. Please add some toggles to turn the progress bar on/off separately for each player. This would be very useful, because not all players broadcast their track position. Currently I e.g. see a full progress bar when using DAB-Z and NavRadio+, but I would like to turn it of for them.
After installing test97 I observed an issue of the Clock widget that has been reported before but not fixed yet: The Clock widget sometimes erratically changes its font sizes when updating FCC. As I observed it, the size of the 2nd font gets bigger and the size of the 1st font gets smaller. Please have a look into this.

Thanks and best regards.
There is no quick way to change the widget height individually.
So in this fix I check if available height is evenly divisible by the number of widgets -> no adjustment.
If there is some extra space -> I add 1px to each widget. This can indeed result in the bottom widget is slightly below the bottom of the screen.

You can adjust this by the widget's setting -> bottom margin.
Regarding your questions:
1. Progress bar size cannot be changed easily. At least I need to find a way.
2. You can disable progress bar in the widget's settings - Show/hide progress bar

Reactions: okij

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Sorry for the delay. Chest Infection :( Ok test 96 installed, HU restarted etc. No change. Map still flashing. I have video'd it for you to see. At 0:38 and 1:40

Google Maps Flashing constantly

Something just came to mind. I wanted to have some iBUS widgets hidden behind the map. I have the Street Name button set up to Hide the map, thus displaying the iBUS widgets. This caused many problems, mainly the widgets and map alternating very randomly. I removed the widgets. I wonder whether you might consider implements a feature that allows us to see all created "place holders" active or otherwise. I have clicked on various parts of the left of the screen but not found anything hidden.
Thanks. Based on your video this blink happens exactly every minute.
Every minute the app checks if it needs to apply day / night mode. Probably this is the cause of this blink. I will try to reproduce.

Update: Done. Please check this version - fcclauncher-3.442_test98.apk

Last edited:

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
There is no quick way to change the widget height individually.
That's what I already thought. :)

So in this fix I check if available height is evenly divisible by the number of widgets -> no adjustment.
If there is some extra space -> I add 1px to each widget. This can indeed result in the bottom widget is slightly below the bottom of the screen.
IMHO this implementation is fine, because ...

You can adjust this by the widget's setting -> bottom margin.
... this works fine and totaly suits my needs (and should suit the needs of other users too).

Stupid me didn't think about adjusting the bottom margin - respectively the padding of the Player widget, since it has no setting for the bottom margin. ;)

Regarding your questions:
1. Progress bar size cannot be changed easily. At least I need to find a way.
This is OK for me then. I now set the padding of the Player widget to 2 pixels, so I see a 4 pixel wide progress bar, which IMHO is a nice width.

This makes me think if you could also allow negative numbers for widget padding and margins. By this, the user could e.g. push out the progress bar by some pixels.

2. You can disable progress bar in the widget's settings - Show/hide progress bar
That's not what I meant. Of course I can fully enable or disable the progress bar by this setting.

What I asked for are separate toggles for each of the three players of the Player widget, so that the progress bar can e.g. be disabled for player #1 and #2 (which don't broadcast their track position) and enabled for player #3 (which broadcasts its track position).

Currently the progress bar is fully shown (100% = end of the track) when a player doesn't broadcast its track position, but of course it should better be fully hidden then.

If it's difficult to fully turn off the progress bar for certain players only, I would suggest that you simply show it as 0% (= start of the track), so it will be hidden. But it would be great to have an option to show/hide progress bar for each player.

Please let me know what you think.

shdwkeeper

Jul 22, 2021
I'm running the latest Hal9k and is there anyway to add a media player to the widget that doesnt come up in the list so it will display the album art? I'm using an app called iheartradio in the US and none of the info (album, artist, etc) appears in the launcher but when the Hal9k screen saver comes on all the info displays. How do we get this to happen in the launcher, to display album art and info no matter what media player is playing?
Is this not possible right now?

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30

bitman85

Jul 2, 2012
Hello good Morning

First of all congratulate you on this amazing launcher, after trying several I decided on yours and automatically bought the premium version and it is an amazing launcher.

I just have a couple of things that don't quite work for me:

1- OBD2 widgets, I have a bluethoot adapter put in the car and it works great for me with Torque Pro, but for some reason the launcher widgets don't work for me, it doesn't give an error or it just doesn't work or it doesn't connect, I'm not sure what is wrong

2- Use google assistant to make calls, if I follow the configuration steps that it says in settings (select FCCC as default) it opens my web browser searching in google for 'call Mr. X' in fact the same thing if I say to google to call from the Launcher. In the original launcher of my radio (Launcher 3) if I used this option to ask the assistant to call, it only gave SIM card error

Otherwise everything works very well for me, also add options that my android radio did not have

My radio is a specific owtosin for Ford Focus mk3.5 and it is a PX6

shdwkeeper

Jul 22, 2021
Please check that you've granted Fcc Launcher access to notifications.
iHeartRadio works perfect for me:
Upgraded to test 98 same problem. Iheart is playing. Hal9k Screensaver has the album art but the launcher skin is still displaying art from previous song.

Attachments

• 20211129_082641.jpg
    20211129_082641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20211129_082647.jpg
    20211129_082647.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
t98 installed. Observations. Map is no longer flashing but took a very long time to find my position even with a 5 bar internet signal. The other minor issue that I have observed today is the clock shrank. It went down from 32pt to 24pt and the secondary line went from 20pt to 12pt. Also the Player widget normally displays DAB, FM and Music, but had decided to add Standard player. This disappeared after a restart but did come back again. It has stopped doing it now. A LogCat will be posted soonest. Thank you

Reactions: okij

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
No idea. iHeart is playing when I took that pic. That is my question, why isn't it working
Can't tell you. Pic is not enough obviously. If you can send me LogCat logs of the process of switching from any other player to iHeartRadio player this could help.

Please also double check that you've granted Fcc Launcher access to Notifications data. You had to do this during initial setup, however I've added the link to this setting in this new test version.

fcclauncher-3.442_test99.apk

Go to Fcc Settings - System - Advanced - Notifications

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 13

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
The other minor issue that I have observed today is the clock shrank. It went down from 32pt to 24pt and the secondary line went from 20pt to 12pt.
That's what I also observed and already reported, so thank you for confirmation!

For me one of the texts got smaller and one bigger. This bug seems to happen when updating FCC and only affects the Clock widget.

I hope that @SpeedFire- will have a look into this.

Reactions: daemondee

Top Liked Posts

fcclauncher-3.442_test126.apk
    - Experimental version for Google Map fix. Camera animation time is decreased from 800 ms to 500 ms / every second. To left more time for map drawing. Does it help?
    - TPMS widget. Previously it was set that if no new data is received for the last 15 seconds (normally it is updated every 10 secs) then "--" are shown. Now the period is increased to 45 secs.
    Well... I don´t know why anyone should have the need to have the TPMS always visible. The app itself alarms you and shows deviating data immediately. There is no need to have a full time visibility.
    To have it at startup... okay, makes sense to see if there is anything weird and get alarmed if there is a deviation while driving. That is what the app is supposed to be used for.

But just my 2 cent.

But... what would be a good idea: to have the possibility to have 2 visibilities for it. Just a message that all is fine if there is nothing wrong since the last update and if there is a deviation to show the current data?
    Well... I don´t know why anyone should have the need to have the TPMS always visible. The app itself alarms you and shows deviating data immediately. There is no need to have a full time visibility.
    To have it at startup... okay, makes sense to see if there is anything weird and get alarmed if there is a deviation while driving. That is what the app is supposed to be used for.

But just my 2 cent.

But... what would be a good idea: to have the possibility to have 2 visibilities for it. Just a message that all is fine if there is nothing wrong since the last update and if there is a deviation to show the current data?
    There is already such a layout of this widget. It shows "OK" when everything is good and warning message if something is wrong. You can select it. I use it most of the time.
    There is already such a layout of this widget. It shows "OK" when everything is good and warning message if something is wrong. You can select it. I use it most of the time.
    I have in my both cars OEM-TPMS in the tires, so I am not able to use the widget, because I see the messages in the cluster if there is anything wrong.

If the widget is already working like that, I would exactly have it like that nothing else.

But, I Just focus on the TPMS Widget, if there is a widget so that widget must show data continuosly.
    As SpeedFire- already explained, use the widget as it is supposed to be used and it should be right.
    Continuous data visibility is not the way it is you want to have and I don´t get the point that you want to have it constantly on the screen. Keep your eyes on the street and not on the TPMS and let the app do it´s work. ;)
    I Just want the fcc launcher become the one of the best head unit launcher that i have.
    Fcc is not able to become one of the best launcher... Fcc is already the best you are able to get hands on.
    Happy New Year @SpeedFire- and all users of FCC Launcher! 🍾🥂
    Happy New Year everyone!
    You are what drives the app development and motivates to change it.
    I am really excited about our community!
    You are the best! Happy New Year! :love:🥳🎉
    I tried this now on my phone (Galaxy A5 2017, android 8), clean installed test113, set up new player widget and it is the same as on my head unit. The logo is not fit correctly.
    Here is a fixed version: fcclauncher-3.442_test114.apk
    It turned out that album art was cropped to square by default.
    Now I've added an option to the Player widget settings (crop is now disabled by default)
    I tried this now on my phone (Galaxy A5 2017, android 8), clean installed test113, set up new player widget and it is the same as on my head unit. The logo is not fit correctly.
    Thanks! I reproduced this on my Samsung device as well. I will investigate this.
    Yes @SpeedFire- You deserve it from the FCC community
    Hi, all!

Welcome to the official thread for FCC Car Launcher - a customizable auto launcher for android head units (Rockchip MTCB/MTCD+ and FlyAudio) as well as android smartphones/tablets.

Its major features:
    - Full function launcher with supports of all standard third party android widgets
    - Deep integration with head units (MCU etc). My mission here is to implement as many functions in the launcher itself as possible. In case of Rockchip devices to get rid of most xposed modules (my deep respect to their authors, great job, but they sometimes slow down the device significantly) and replace them with the normal built-in functions.
    - Customization. The FCC Cat Launcher has some built-in customizable widgets which can help to make your home screen more personal (you can adjust widgets size, colors, features etc).
    - Built-in music widget with support of FM Radio (with ability to give names to radio stations), Spotify, Google Music, PowerAmp, PC Radio, Neutron and Stellio players.
    - One-click navigation widgets with quick route building (supports Waze, Google Maps, Yandex Navigator and other navigation apps).
    - Phone calls via connected phone using 'Ok Google call [name]' request or by clicking on built-in Contact widget.
    - Other features.

FAQ
    1. I love MiniMap but can you put other navigation app there?
    Unfortunately this is not possible. MiniMap is part of FCC and is based on Google Maps API for Android. It is not another app (not even a Google Maps app), that can be just replaced within the FCC interface. Android does not allow to integrate third party apps (navigation apps) inside another third party apps (FCC Launcher).
    If your head Unit supports Split Screen (ie can display Two apps at the same time), this can be partially done with split screen.

2. Is it possible to cache maps for MiniMap for offline use?
    - Yes. In the latest FCC Launcher beta version you can select Offline Mapbox map and download it to your device.
    - For Google Maps - No. Caching is directly prohibited by Google license for using Google Maps API (MiniMap). Moreover, Google even does not provide developers with such a caching API. Therefore you will need a constant internet connection to use MiniMap. The somewhat good news is that the map itself does some short-term caching on your device, so it saves some data (but not too much).

3. Notifications are only popping up for a split second / flashing. How to fix this?
    That means that animations are disabled on your device.
    - Go to the device's Developer settings: FCC settings - System - Advanced - Developer settings (if it asks for code - it's "7890" for AllWinner T8).
    - Scroll down and change 3 parameters "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animation duration scale" from "Animation off" to "Animation scale 1x".

4. Routing on Google Maps in MiniMap doesn't work. It asks for API key. What should I do?
    - Turn-by-turn navigation in built-in Google Map fragment is directly prohibited by Google. Therefore it is not possible to use it. .However if you have your own Google Developer account (Google Maps API key) you can use it to draw a simple route line on the MiniMap. Please note that it will NOT have any turn-by-turn data like distance to next turn or estimated time of arrival.
    I do not recommend to purchase Google Developer account just for this feature:
    - Google Developer account will cost money for you (a one-off payment) which is reasonable only if you really want to develop android apps.
    - Routing requests cost money. But currently Google provides a 200$ per month free usage for Maps, Routes, and Places every month which should be enough for individual usage.
    Links: Get API key, Pricing. Don't forget to enable Maps API and Directions API in your Google Cloud Console.

Tutorial:

Translation to your language
    Guys, many of you suggested your help with translation of the app to your native languages.
    I have setup a translation project on OneSky site.
    Here is the link: HELP TRANSLATE FCC CAR LAUNCHER

Links:
    Release
    channel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    Beta channel: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    (I would suggest to stick with the release channel since beta channel can be really buggy sometimes and is intended for beta testers only)

As a developer I will be happy to discuss with you any ideas or issues.

Here is a couple of tutorials:
    1) Quick look on home screen setup process:

How to write LogCat log:
    You need to have ROOT:
    1. Install LogCat Extreme LogCat Extreme
    2. Select VERBOSE level of details (very important) Video 1
    3. Write and send log: Video 2

Initial setup (do this if you see black screen):
    Important checkbox during first setup:
    giphy.gif

Please make sure to check that checkbox "Always allow FCC Launcher to add widgets..".

Full setup process:
    giphy.gif
    pity that the developer is not dedicated to solving several bugs of this fantastic launcher, too many bugs for daily use is not so good unfortunately

How the Hell can you say that when @SpeedFire- has dedicated 100's , if not 1000's of hours developing this launcher, and for peanuts !!

I remember a time last year when he was on vacation, and even then, each night he worked on FCC, fixing bugs and greatly improving what was already there.

FCC is probably one of the most COMPLEX apps on Playstore.

My understanding is that he basically developed FCC for HIMSELF, because he was not satisfied with what was currently out there, and was good enough to share his work with anyone wanting to try it.

Because of technical complexities, this launcher is designed and developed for a limited number of Android systems, but that number is increasing all the time as he add new Units to those currently supported.

If you go out and purchase some obscure, budget China unit, that is not supported, you cannot blame anyone but yourself, if then you experience issues.

Just because you paid the developer a few dollars because YOU CHOSE TO DO SO does not mean that you OWN him, and can demand that he jumps at your every call ... it's not his work -- it's his HOBBY -- and you probably knew that going in .. so lighten up and stop giving him such a hard time.

BTW, I am also a developer, and I can tell you, if anyone else got involved in this complex app, it would most likely get totally screwed up, and dye -- that is assuming one could even find someone who would be willing to put in the time for next to nothing, while having the technical ability to actually contribute anything to the project.

Thank you @SpeedFire- for clearly the best Android launcher on the market, and for all your time and dedication in constantly improving it. It is very much appreciated I am sure by the majority of those using it, and you will always have my full support going into the future.
    Guys!
    It seems that I've found the best solution for Normal / Split-Screen modes. Take a look:

Here is a short demo of two modes in the alpha version:
    1) Normal mode - launcher does not support split screen (bad) but behaves as a normal launcher and is not visible in the list of recent apps (good).
    2) Split screen mode - launcher supports 50/50 multi window mode (good) but is visible in the list of recent apps (bad).

Every user can select the preferred mode!
    The app is now returned to the Play Store :)
    New beta is out:
    - All skins are re-designed for 6x10 grid (instead of previous 6x7 grid). You need to re-apply skin if you want to switch to a new skin.
    - You can choose your favourite skin during first time setup process.
    - Time widget has new options to granually change Time and Date font sizes as well as to swap Time and Date positions
    - Re-written code for album arts in Player widget. Hopefully this will fix most issues.
    - Some other fixes.
    - For built-in skins Icons are automatically setup when put on home screen or moved (based on skins' settings for particular Icon slot).
    giphy.gif