Fcc Car Launcher [official thread]

What do you want: a split screen functionality or a normal launcher behavior?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
fcclauncher-3.442_test128.apk
- Secondary text for TripCombined widget fixed (don't forget to check that Secondary text is enabled in the widget's text settings)
I can confirm that the secondary text is fixed in test128, thanks a lot! (y)

Since you are currently ironing out the final bugs before the reworked FCC Launcher can be released on Play Store, I'd like to give you some feedback about the remaining issues that I noticed:
  1. As I added to my post #8,537 yesterday and reported before, the Brightness widget doesn't reliably show the current screen brightness. Today I had a closer look on this issue and as it seems, the widget is updating properly while the head unit is in use, but doesn't show the correct brightness symbol after I wake my head unit (MTCE on Hal9k v4.2.1) from standby.
    So in my point of view, you must add some code that updates the widget symbol according to the current daytime (respectively screen brightness) after the device is resumed from standby.

2. Today I also had a closer look on the updated animation times of the Mini Map which you explained here. While the map looks smooth when driving straight on, it unfortunately looks quite bumpy when driving a curve. I then can cleary see the animation stopping for 0,2 s each second.
    I've been thinking about what you could do against this (without getting the map-not-loading bug back) and I would suggest that you set the camera animation period to 950 ms or so (maybe also 990 ms could work). I'm suggesting this because it's quite likely that the map properly loads as long as it gets triggered to do so, for which 50 ms (or maybe even 10 ms) should be sufficient. I cannot imagine that the process which loads the map gets interrupted while the map is animated (and of course I hope that I'm right with this assumption).
    Could you therefore please make a test version with a camera animation period of 950 ms, so I can try it and report back? If it works and if it then should still look not smooth enough, we could then try 990 ms or something like that. IMHO this should help to get the animation as smooth as it was before the bug fix, with the map still loading properly.
Thanks for your attention and once again for your great work on FCC! :)

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
I can confirm that the secondary text is fixed in test128, thanks a lot! (y)

Since you are currently ironing out the final bugs before the reworked FCC Launcher can be released on Play Store, I'd like to give you some feedback about the remaining issues that I noticed:
  1. As I added to my post #8,537 yesterday and reported before, the Brightness widget doesn't reliably show the current screen brightness. Today I had a closer look on this issue and as it seems, the widget is updating properly while the head unit is in use, but doesn't show the correct brightness symbol after I wake my head unit (MTCE on Hal9k v4.2.1) from standby.
    So in my point of view, you must add some code that updates the widget symbol according to the current daytime (respectively screen brightness) after the device is resumed from standby.

2. Today I also had a closer look on the updated animation times of the Mini Map which you explained here. While the map looks smooth when driving straight on, it unfortunately looks quite bumpy when driving a curve. I then can cleary see the animation stopping for 0,2 s each second.
    I've been thinking about what you could do against this (without getting the map-not-loading bug back) and I would suggest that you set the camera animation period to 950 ms or so (maybe also 990 ms could work). I'm suggesting this because it's quite likely that the map properly loads as long as it gets triggered to do so, for which 50 ms (or maybe even 10 ms) should be sufficient. I cannot imagine that the process which loads the map gets interrupted while the map is animated (and of course I hope that I'm right with this assumption).
    Could you therefore please make a test version with a camera animation period of 950 ms, so I can try it and report back? If it works and if it then should still look not smooth enough, we could then try 990 ms or something like that. IMHO this should help to get the animation as smooth as it was before the bug fix, with the map still loading properly.
Thanks for your attention and once again for your great work on FCC! :)
1. I tried to reproduce brightness widget bug but couldn't.
2. Here they are:
fcclauncher-3.442_test130a.apk (950 ms)
fcclauncher-3.442_test130b.apk (990 ms)
Actually I can set separate times for straight movements and turns (angle more than x). So theoretically this could be solved this way.

Reactions: okij

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
1. I tried to reproduce brightness widget bug but couldn't.
2. Here they are:
fcclauncher-3.442_test130a.apk (950 ms)
fcclauncher-3.442_test130b.apk (990 ms)
Actually I can set separate times for straight movements and turns (angle more than x). So theoretically this could be solved this way.
Thanks for providing the test versions so quickly! :)

I just tried them in my underground parking, so I didn't have good mobile data connection for the head unit and had to use Mock Locations app.

The good thing is that even the 990 ms version loads the map tiles, so generally it's working. However, it seems to me that at least the 990 ms version needs a bit more time to load the map tiles, but this could also be caused by slowish the data connection. The 950 ms version seemed better in this aspect.

But both versions also didn't supply smooth animation, both also were interrupted much more than 50 respectively 10 ms each second. It might be that this is caused by the GPS signal updated only every second, but for testing I was using Mock Locations app and I don't know if it maybe only updates once per second.

When driving normally, I have set Hal9k rom to update GPS with 5 Hz, so every 200 ms. Maybe I'll have to check test130a (950 ms) when I'll be driving next time (probably this weekend but definitely on Monday) in real GPS use. I have kept test130a installed for now.

BTW, I also shortly tried test125 again (the one before you fixed the Mini Map) and it also didn't supply smooth animation but stopped animation for a short time each second. Having said this, it could be that the map display isn't less fluent now than before the Mini Map fix but that I only thought so because now I especially looked after it. ;)

About the Brightness widget: After starting the head unit for trying test130a and b, I again observed that the widget erratically showed full brightness (+ "A" for auto) and only went back to correct display after tapping on it 4 or 5 times to get to "A" again.

So for me this seems to be reliably reproducible each morning and evening, I don't know why you cannot reproduce it. Do you need any more infos or logs? And most importantly: Does FCC already have some code that sets the Brightness widget to the correct icon after the head unit is woken from standby?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedFire-

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
I have used FCC launcher for many head units and CarPlay air devices. Works very well.

I wish there was more support, encouragement etc of themes for this launcher.

Good job!

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
About the Brightness widget: After starting the head unit for trying test130a and b, I again observed that the widget erratically showed full brightness (+ "A" for auto) and only went back to correct display after tapping on it 4 or 5 times to get to "A" again.

So for me this seems to be reliably reproducible each morning and evening, I don't know why you cannot reproduce it. Do you need any more infos or logs? And most importantly: Does FCC already have some code that sets the Brightness widget to the correct icon after the head unit is woken from standby?
I've probably reproduced it and hopefully fixed. This version is also back to 950 ms.
fcclauncher-3.442_test131.apk

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
I've probably reproduced it and hopefully fixed. This version is also back to 950 ms.
fcclauncher-3.442_test131.apk
Thanks, I've just installed it.

As a first feedback: Directly after installation the symbol showed lowest brightness and "A", whereas correctly it should have shown highest brightness and "A", because it was 3:30 pm here and about 1,5 hours till sunset.

Also cycling through the Brightness widget to "A" again didn't change this, it still showed lowest brightness and actually the screen was at its lowest brightness.

Because of this I entered FCC settings and looked into the auto brightness settings (which were correct) and toogled auto brightness off and on again. After this, the screen correctly was at its highest brightness and also the Brightness widget properly showed the sun icon for highest brightness and "A". Cycling through the Brightness widget to "A" again then also worked as expected, i.e. highest brightness plus "A" was correctly used and shown.

So maybe there is a small bug in your latest change which needs the auto brightness in FCC settings to be checked and toggled off and on as a workaround. For me this doesn't matter if it's something that has to be done just once.

I will further observe if the auto brightness and the Brightness widget display now behave correctly and will report back.

mariodantas

Also cycling through the Brightness widget to "A" again didn't change this, it still showed lowest brightness and actually the screen was at its lowest brightness.

Because of this I entered FCC settings and looked into the auto brightness settings (which were correct) and toogled auto brightness off and on again. After this, the screen correctly was at its highest brightness and also the Brightness widget properly showed the sun icon for highest brightness and "A". Cycling through the Brightness widget to "A" again then also worked as expected, i.e. highest brightness plus "A" was correctly used and shown.

So maybe there is a small bug in your latest change which needs the auto brightness in FCC settings to be checked and toggled off and on as a workaround. For me this doesn't matter if it's something that has to be done just once.
Same behaviour here test131
uis7861 6Gb/128Gb

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
Just installed t130b. This is getting ridiculous now.

Screenshot (Jan 28, 2022 22_42_15).png

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
@SpeedFire- I checked now again after sunset: The screen brightness was at its lowest setting (so OK), but the Brightness widget showed the highest brighness symbol (sun) plus "A".

Only after cycling through the Brightness widget until "A" is displayed again then showed the correct lowest brightness symbol (circle) plus "A".

I will check once more tomorrow, but I think that unfortunately test131 didn't fix the Brightness widget issue yet (MTCE device here).

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Just installed t130b. This is getting ridiculous now.

View attachment 5522663
Aha, so the dev should now start to guess what's wrong based on your screenshot? Seriously?

Please give more details like:
  • Which version did you use before?
  • How did your layout look before?
  • Did you try if restarting FCC fixes the issue?
  • Did you try if restoring a backup of your working FCC config fixes it?
  • Did you try if restoring your previous version (plus maybe a backup of your config too) fixes it?
  • Did you think about providing @SpeedFire- a backup of your working config for checking what might be wrong?
After all these are test versions and meant for testing and reporting bugs. Just saying "this is getting ridiculous" is only offensive, but not helpful at all.

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
@okij valid but I have posted so many screenshots that I didn't think it was necessary. Last version was t129. I posted that too. The dev has my last backup and nothing has changed.

In the meantime. I formatted the HU. reloaded HAL9k ROM. started from scratch. Restored backup etc. Exactly the same screenshot was generated. However for completeness, I have included my backup, which hasn't changed in months now. FCC BU

Don't think IU am ungrateful. I have posted many times the high regard I have for the @SpeedFire- but it only seems to be me, who's HU goes tits up so wrong.

BU_New_#1.png

Attachments

• Screenshot (Jan 28, 2022 22_42_15).png
    Screenshot (Jan 28, 2022 22_42_15).png
    474.5 KB · Views: 25

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
@SpeedFire- I checked now again after sunset: The screen brightness was at its lowest setting (so OK), but the Brightness widget showed the highest brighness symbol (sun) plus "A".

Only after cycling through the Brightness widget until "A" is displayed again then showed the correct lowest brightness symbol (circle) plus "A".

I will check once more tomorrow, but I think that unfortunately test131 didn't fix the Brightness widget issue yet (MTCE device here).
I've made some changes to the brightness widget - fcclauncher-3.442_test132.apk

spludgey

Aug 21, 2008
Is there a way to disable the screensaver screen?
Is it also possible to disable all other windows? My widgets keep running away when I try to place them, very annoying!

Are there any skins for higher row and column settings?

Thanks!

Last edited:

_Trolk_

Jan 30, 2020
Is it possible to set an autostart so that after starting the FCC launcher automatically switches to the split screen mode with google maps?

csr1

Jan 30, 2022
Hey there, i just got a china tablet yesterday got it all working just not enable notifications its somehow deactivated in tablet to safe ressources? Is there a Workaround maybe, ive googled the whole night lol

Android 10 (go?)
Api 29

Attachments

• probt.PNG
    probt.PNG
    63.9 KB · Views: 12
  • spe.PNG
    spe.PNG
    110.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New test version attached:
    - Added support for 'pinned shortcuts' which adds support for apps like the Shortcut Maker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rk.android.app.shortcutmaker&hl=ru&gl=US
    - An option to launch an app in a split screen mode is returned to the Icon Widget settings (I don't remember why I removed it when switching to the new settings menu).
    - All libraries are updated to the lates versions so if the issue with the google map renderer still exists this may be related to something else.

fcclauncher-3.509_v2
    @SpeedFire- will you look at the bugs?
    Yes. A little bit later. I have a busy time at my main work until the end of April.
    If they stopped payment in Google that would be a real pain for all hardworking developers in Russia, especially for @SpeedFire-
    We need to find a workaround for this if there is any.
    Yes, there are several issues with payments:
    - Google stopped payments to my main bank account. I entered the alternative bank account which was accepted but no payment has been done so far.
    - I will add a Huawei AppGallery support (with a slightly lower price) for those who want to pay outside the Google universe. However the documentation is not perfect for in-app purchases there. This may take some time.
    Guys, please try this version.
    Google made some changes in Billing library (which is used to check Premium purchase). Does it work (is Premium status applied correctly)?
    fcclauncher-3.502_v3
    If they stopped payment in Google that would be a real pain for all hardworking developers in Russia, especially for @SpeedFire-
    We need to find a workaround for this if there is any.
    Hi, all!

Welcome to the official thread for FCC Car Launcher - a customizable auto launcher for android head units (Rockchip MTCB/MTCD+ and FlyAudio) as well as android smartphones/tablets.

Its major features:
    - Full function launcher with supports of all standard third party android widgets
    - Deep integration with head units (MCU etc). My mission here is to implement as many functions in the launcher itself as possible. In case of Rockchip devices to get rid of most xposed modules (my deep respect to their authors, great job, but they sometimes slow down the device significantly) and replace them with the normal built-in functions.
    - Customization. The FCC Cat Launcher has some built-in customizable widgets which can help to make your home screen more personal (you can adjust widgets size, colors, features etc).
    - Built-in music widget with support of FM Radio (with ability to give names to radio stations), Spotify, Google Music, PowerAmp, PC Radio, Neutron and Stellio players.
    - One-click navigation widgets with quick route building (supports Waze, Google Maps, Yandex Navigator and other navigation apps).
    - Phone calls via connected phone using 'Ok Google call [name]' request or by clicking on built-in Contact widget.
    - Other features.

FAQ
    1. I love MiniMap but can you put other navigation app there?
    Unfortunately this is not possible. MiniMap is part of FCC and is based on Google Maps API for Android. It is not another app (not even a Google Maps app), that can be just replaced within the FCC interface. Android does not allow to integrate third party apps (navigation apps) inside another third party apps (FCC Launcher).
    If your head Unit supports Split Screen (ie can display Two apps at the same time), this can be partially done with split screen.

2. Is it possible to cache maps for MiniMap for offline use?
    - Yes. In the latest FCC Launcher beta version you can select Offline Mapbox map and download it to your device.
    - For Google Maps - No. Caching is directly prohibited by Google license for using Google Maps API (MiniMap). Moreover, Google even does not provide developers with such a caching API. Therefore you will need a constant internet connection to use MiniMap. The somewhat good news is that the map itself does some short-term caching on your device, so it saves some data (but not too much).

3. Notifications are only popping up for a split second / flashing. How to fix this?
    That means that animations are disabled on your device.
    - Go to the device's Developer settings: FCC settings - System - Advanced - Developer settings (if it asks for code - it's "7890" for AllWinner T8).
    - Scroll down and change 3 parameters "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animation duration scale" from "Animation off" to "Animation scale 1x".

4. Routing on Google Maps in MiniMap doesn't work. It asks for API key. What should I do?
    - Turn-by-turn navigation in built-in Google Map fragment is directly prohibited by Google. Therefore it is not possible to use it. .However if you have your own Google Developer account (Google Maps API key) you can use it to draw a simple route line on the MiniMap. Please note that it will NOT have any turn-by-turn data like distance to next turn or estimated time of arrival.
    I do not recommend to purchase Google Developer account just for this feature:
    - Google Developer account will cost money for you (a one-off payment) which is reasonable only if you really want to develop android apps.
    - Routing requests cost money. But currently Google provides a 200$ per month free usage for Maps, Routes, and Places every month which should be enough for individual usage.
    Links: Get API key, Pricing. Don't forget to enable Maps API and Directions API in your Google Cloud Console.

Tutorial:

Translation to your language
    Guys, many of you suggested your help with translation of the app to your native languages.
    I have setup a translation project on OneSky site.
    Here is the link: HELP TRANSLATE FCC CAR LAUNCHER

Links:
    Release
    channel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    Beta channel: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    (I would suggest to stick with the release channel since beta channel can be really buggy sometimes and is intended for beta testers only)

As a developer I will be happy to discuss with you any ideas or issues.

Here is a couple of tutorials:
    1) Quick look on home screen setup process:

How to write LogCat log:
    You need to have ROOT:
    1. Install LogCat Extreme LogCat Extreme
    2. Select VERBOSE level of details (very important) Video 1
    3. Write and send log: Video 2

Initial setup (do this if you see black screen):
    Important checkbox during first setup:
    giphy.gif

Please make sure to check that checkbox "Always allow FCC Launcher to add widgets..".

Full setup process:
    giphy.gif
    pity that the developer is not dedicated to solving several bugs of this fantastic launcher, too many bugs for daily use is not so good unfortunately

How the Hell can you say that when @SpeedFire- has dedicated 100's , if not 1000's of hours developing this launcher, and for peanuts !!

I remember a time last year when he was on vacation, and even then, each night he worked on FCC, fixing bugs and greatly improving what was already there.

FCC is probably one of the most COMPLEX apps on Playstore.

My understanding is that he basically developed FCC for HIMSELF, because he was not satisfied with what was currently out there, and was good enough to share his work with anyone wanting to try it.

Because of technical complexities, this launcher is designed and developed for a limited number of Android systems, but that number is increasing all the time as he add new Units to those currently supported.

If you go out and purchase some obscure, budget China unit, that is not supported, you cannot blame anyone but yourself, if then you experience issues.

Just because you paid the developer a few dollars because YOU CHOSE TO DO SO does not mean that you OWN him, and can demand that he jumps at your every call ... it's not his work -- it's his HOBBY -- and you probably knew that going in .. so lighten up and stop giving him such a hard time.

BTW, I am also a developer, and I can tell you, if anyone else got involved in this complex app, it would most likely get totally screwed up, and dye -- that is assuming one could even find someone who would be willing to put in the time for next to nothing, while having the technical ability to actually contribute anything to the project.

Thank you @SpeedFire- for clearly the best Android launcher on the market, and for all your time and dedication in constantly improving it. It is very much appreciated I am sure by the majority of those using it, and you will always have my full support going into the future.
    Guys!
    It seems that I've found the best solution for Normal / Split-Screen modes. Take a look:

Here is a short demo of two modes in the alpha version:
    1) Normal mode - launcher does not support split screen (bad) but behaves as a normal launcher and is not visible in the list of recent apps (good).
    2) Split screen mode - launcher supports 50/50 multi window mode (good) but is visible in the list of recent apps (bad).

Every user can select the preferred mode!
    The app is now returned to the Play Store :)
    New beta is out:
    - All skins are re-designed for 6x10 grid (instead of previous 6x7 grid). You need to re-apply skin if you want to switch to a new skin.
    - You can choose your favourite skin during first time setup process.
    - Time widget has new options to granually change Time and Date font sizes as well as to swap Time and Date positions
    - Re-written code for album arts in Player widget. Hopefully this will fix most issues.
    - Some other fixes.
    - For built-in skins Icons are automatically setup when put on home screen or moved (based on skins' settings for particular Icon slot).
    giphy.gif