Fcc Car Launcher [official thread]

What do you want: a split screen functionality or a normal launcher behavior?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread
Jul 19, 2015
I have in my both cars OEM-TPMS in the tires, so I am not able to use the widget, because I see the messages in the cluster if there is anything wrong.

If the widget is already working like that, I would exactly have it like that nothing else.

As SpeedFire- already explained, use the widget as it is supposed to be used and it should be right.
Continuous data visibility is not the way it is you want to have and I don´t get the point that you want to have it constantly on the screen. Keep your eyes on the street and not on the TPMS and let the app do it´s work. ;)

Fcc is not able to become one of the best launcher... Fcc is already the best you are able to get hands on.
Ok, i catch your poin, thanks for the sharing your opinion. :)

Jul 19, 2015
fcclauncher-3.442_test126.apk
- Experimental version for Google Map fix. Camera animation time is decreased from 800 ms to 500 ms / every second. To left more time for map drawing. Does it help?
- TPMS widget. Previously it was set that if no new data is received for the last 15 seconds (normally it is updated every 10 secs) then "--" are shown. Now the period is increased to 45 secs.
Thanks @speedfire to your fast respons, very amazing.

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I don't know to be honest. You better remember / try when this bug first appeared.
@uktim32 wrote in post #8,482:
I haven't updated FCC Launcher for probably 6 or 8 weeks. I'd say starting about a week ago I noticed as the map loads the oncoming top part of the display is blurred the eventually catches up with itself but this just repeats as you move with the map showing the new area you're moving into again blurred etc etc.

@SpeedFire- Also for me this bug started "out of the blue" maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago and not with a certain test build.

So I'm not sure if trying an older test build really helps, but I'll check one.

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
@uktim32 wrote in post #8,482:

@SpeedFire- Also for me this bug started "out of the blue" maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago and not with a certain test build.

So I'm not sure if trying an older test build really helps, but I'll check one.
That's why it is important to understand the possible reason.
Maybe this is caused by some issues with Google servers for example and is not caused by the changes in the app.

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Yes, of course. I just tried test90 from November (the build that fixed the ANR and FC bugs) and it has the same issue with Google Map display in the MiniMap. However, this was working fine some weeks ago.

Maybe this is caused by some issues with Google servers for example and is not caused by the changes in the app.
I also think that there must have been some change on Google's side, but nevertheless this issue must be fixed in FCC.

I'm sure that it can be fixed because the map display is correctly updated when swiping the map and only doesn't update when it's just following the GPS position.

Internet access for my head unit hasn't changed BTW, I'm using a Huawei E8372 4G-Wifi-Hotspot USB stick which has the same good speed like months ago, so this cannot be an issue.

I really hope that you find a solution, because the MiniMap is one of the features that makes FCC so unique. :)🤞

Edit: P.S. Did you do some tests for yourself, e.g. with Mock Location app, as @rigattoni suggested here?

Last edited:

monstereye1898

Jan 24, 2022
I would think my minimap problems started when I updated hal9k to the latest version 5.0.2. I rebuilt everything a few days ago and with version 5.0.0 the minimap worked, however I did not test it extensively an now i'm back on 5.0.2 and it's not working. It may also be that it was a coincidence. It can't be because of the internet connection, it is very good. Yandex also works fine, but I prefer Google Maps.

By the way, I already had the problem with the version which is in the Appstore, so I only started with the test versions now.

Reactions: okij

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I would think my minimap problems started when I updated hal9k to the latest version 5.0.2. I rebuilt everything a few days ago and with version 5.0.0 the minimap worked, however I did not test it extensively an now i'm back on 5.0.2 and it's not working. It may also be that it was a coincidence.
This must be a coincidence, because I'm using Hal9k v4.2.1 and didn't update the rom in the last ten months.

By the way, I already had the problem with the version which is in the Appstore, ...
This is interesting for @SpeedFire- to know, so thanks for your confirmation of the issue and infos.

uktim32

Nov 16, 2021
I was running a test version which I downloaded in November (I can't remember which one), I hadn't updated since until trying the map update. So I don't think it's something in an update that has caused the error either.

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Samsung Galaxy S10e
It seems that I "fixed" the wrong value in the previous version. Please try this:
fcclauncher-3.442_test127.apk
- Possible Mini Map fix (map loading)
Thanks a lot! I just tested it for 20 minutes and so far the map loading bug didn't occur anymore, so from my side I would say that it's fixed in test127. Well done! 😀(y)

May I ask what was the reason for this issue and how you now fixed it?

Also I have a small feature request for the MiniMap:

I'm using the MiniMap 99% of the time in 3D mode and then prefer to have it always at the maximum tilt angle. Unfortunately this doesn't always stick when e.g. swiping the map and also seems to be separately or differently stored for each zoom level, so I often have to swipe upwards with two fingers to restore the maximum tilt angle.

Could you therefore please implement a switch to have the MiniMap at maximum tilt level when 3D mode is activated?

Reactions: SpeedFire-

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow
Thanks a lot! I just tested it for 20 minutes and so far the map loading bug didn't occur anymore, so from my side I would say that it's fixed in test127. Well done! 😀(y)

May I ask what was the reason for this issue and how you now fixed it?

Also I have a small feature request for the MiniMap:

I'm using the MiniMap 99% of the time in 3D mode and then prefer to have it always at the maximum tilt angle. Unfortunately this doesn't always stick when e.g. swiping the map and also seems to be separately or differently stored for each zoom level, so I often have to swipe upwards with two fingers to restore the maximum tilt angle.

Could you therefore please implement a switch to have the MiniMap at maximum tilt level when 3D mode is activated?
It turned out that camera animation period was set to 1500 ms (1,5s) and GPS updates normally occur every second. So new animation overrided old animation and car marker was always moving (this was done for smooth marker animation). Now it is changed to 800 ms (0,8s), therefore each second camera moves for 0,8s and then stays (and loads map) for 0,2s.

The new approach should theoretically look like less smooth, but should solve the map loading issue.

Regarding the camera tilt - I will look how it is implemented now and what can I do. Thanks!

monstereye1898

Jan 24, 2022
Back from shopping and tested the version 126. Sometimes it works,
It seems that I "fixed" the wrong value in the previous version. Please try this:
fcclauncher-3.442_test127.apk
- Possible Mini Map fix (map loading)
I can confirm that it works, great job, THANKS!

that it is less smooth i could not determine, but i had to drive and could not always look at the navi

Reactions: okij and SpeedFire-

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Samsung Galaxy S10e
It turned out that camera animation period was set to 1500 ms (1,5s) and GPS updates normally occur every second. So new animation overrided old animation and car marker was always moving (this was done for smooth marker animation). Now it is changed to 800 ms (0,8s), therefore each second camera moves for 0,8s and then stays (and loads map) for 0,2s.
Thanks for your explanation! I wouldn't have come up with that, but now - knowing this explanation - it really makes sense.

The new approach should theoretically look like less smooth, but should solve the map loading issue.
For me it looks as smooth as before, so no problem at all.

Regarding the camera tilt - I will look how it is implemented now and what can I do. Thanks!
Thanks! :)

In terms of bugs there's currently only one small issue left on my FCC home screen: Since you rewrote the Combined Trip widget, the secondary texts (like "km" and "km/h") are not displayed anymore. I tried to fix it by changing the widget configuration, but I did not succeed, so I think that it's a minor bug. Please have a look after this if you find some time.

Edit: I forgot about one more minor bug that I've already reported: The Brightness widget doesn't reliably show the current screen brightness, e.g. this evening when starting the car it again showed full brightness (plus "A" for activated auto brightness), although it should have showed lowest brightness, as the screen was actually set. So the screen brightness is properly controlled by auto brightness and it's only a display issue of the widget, but still it should be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigattoni

segu45

Jul 12, 2013
Vecindario
I also confirm that the minimap now works fine, it runs even smoother than before. Thanks for the work you do with this very good launcher.

SpeedFire-

Oct 11, 2011
Moscow

I checked camera tilt settings. The app tries to apply maximum tilt value available to the camera. You're right that you can change it slightly more with your fingers, but this is not available to do programmatically.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a question that I don't know, can you help me? Is it possible to use Wase instead of maps? When it comes to traffic detection, Wase is more complete.
    Hi, no, in the map window/widget you can only use Google maps, Yandex maps or Mapbox.
    You can use Wase as a normal app, even make it autostart.
    Hi, all!

Welcome to the official thread for FCC Car Launcher - a customizable auto launcher for android head units (Rockchip MTCB/MTCD+ and FlyAudio) as well as android smartphones/tablets.

Its major features:
    - Full function launcher with supports of all standard third party android widgets
    - Deep integration with head units (MCU etc). My mission here is to implement as many functions in the launcher itself as possible. In case of Rockchip devices to get rid of most xposed modules (my deep respect to their authors, great job, but they sometimes slow down the device significantly) and replace them with the normal built-in functions.
    - Customization. The FCC Cat Launcher has some built-in customizable widgets which can help to make your home screen more personal (you can adjust widgets size, colors, features etc).
    - Built-in music widget with support of FM Radio (with ability to give names to radio stations), Spotify, Google Music, PowerAmp, PC Radio, Neutron and Stellio players.
    - One-click navigation widgets with quick route building (supports Waze, Google Maps, Yandex Navigator and other navigation apps).
    - Phone calls via connected phone using 'Ok Google call [name]' request or by clicking on built-in Contact widget.
    - Other features.

FAQ
    1. I love MiniMap but can you put other navigation app there?
    Unfortunately this is not possible. MiniMap is part of FCC and is based on Google Maps API for Android. It is not another app (not even a Google Maps app), that can be just replaced within the FCC interface. Android does not allow to integrate third party apps (navigation apps) inside another third party apps (FCC Launcher).
    If your head Unit supports Split Screen (ie can display Two apps at the same time), this can be partially done with split screen.

2. Is it possible to cache maps for MiniMap for offline use?
    - Yes. In the latest FCC Launcher beta version you can select Offline Mapbox map and download it to your device.
    - For Google Maps - No. Caching is directly prohibited by Google license for using Google Maps API (MiniMap). Moreover, Google even does not provide developers with such a caching API. Therefore you will need a constant internet connection to use MiniMap. The somewhat good news is that the map itself does some short-term caching on your device, so it saves some data (but not too much).

3. Notifications are only popping up for a split second / flashing. How to fix this?
    That means that animations are disabled on your device.
    - Go to the device's Developer settings: FCC settings - System - Advanced - Developer settings (if it asks for code - it's "7890" for AllWinner T8).
    - Scroll down and change 3 parameters "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animation duration scale" from "Animation off" to "Animation scale 1x".

4. Routing on Google Maps in MiniMap doesn't work. It asks for API key. What should I do?
    - Turn-by-turn navigation in built-in Google Map fragment is directly prohibited by Google. Therefore it is not possible to use it. .However if you have your own Google Developer account (Google Maps API key) you can use it to draw a simple route line on the MiniMap. Please note that it will NOT have any turn-by-turn data like distance to next turn or estimated time of arrival.
    I do not recommend to purchase Google Developer account just for this feature:
    - Google Developer account will cost money for you (a one-off payment) which is reasonable only if you really want to develop android apps.
    - Routing requests cost money. But currently Google provides a 200$ per month free usage for Maps, Routes, and Places every month which should be enough for individual usage.
    Links: Get API key, Pricing. Don't forget to enable Maps API and Directions API in your Google Cloud Console.

Tutorial:

Translation to your language
    Guys, many of you suggested your help with translation of the app to your native languages.
    I have setup a translation project on OneSky site.
    Here is the link: HELP TRANSLATE FCC CAR LAUNCHER

Links:
    Release
    channel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    Beta channel: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/ru.speedfire.flycontrolcenter
    (I would suggest to stick with the release channel since beta channel can be really buggy sometimes and is intended for beta testers only)

As a developer I will be happy to discuss with you any ideas or issues.

Here is a couple of tutorials:
    1) Quick look on home screen setup process:

How to write LogCat log:
    You need to have ROOT:
    1. Install LogCat Extreme LogCat Extreme
    2. Select VERBOSE level of details (very important) Video 1
    3. Write and send log: Video 2

Initial setup (do this if you see black screen):
    Important checkbox during first setup:
    giphy.gif

Please make sure to check that checkbox "Always allow FCC Launcher to add widgets..".

Full setup process:
    giphy.gif
    pity that the developer is not dedicated to solving several bugs of this fantastic launcher, too many bugs for daily use is not so good unfortunately

How the Hell can you say that when @SpeedFire- has dedicated 100's , if not 1000's of hours developing this launcher, and for peanuts !!

I remember a time last year when he was on vacation, and even then, each night he worked on FCC, fixing bugs and greatly improving what was already there.

FCC is probably one of the most COMPLEX apps on Playstore.

My understanding is that he basically developed FCC for HIMSELF, because he was not satisfied with what was currently out there, and was good enough to share his work with anyone wanting to try it.

Because of technical complexities, this launcher is designed and developed for a limited number of Android systems, but that number is increasing all the time as he add new Units to those currently supported.

If you go out and purchase some obscure, budget China unit, that is not supported, you cannot blame anyone but yourself, if then you experience issues.

Just because you paid the developer a few dollars because YOU CHOSE TO DO SO does not mean that you OWN him, and can demand that he jumps at your every call ... it's not his work -- it's his HOBBY -- and you probably knew that going in .. so lighten up and stop giving him such a hard time.

BTW, I am also a developer, and I can tell you, if anyone else got involved in this complex app, it would most likely get totally screwed up, and dye -- that is assuming one could even find someone who would be willing to put in the time for next to nothing, while having the technical ability to actually contribute anything to the project.

Thank you @SpeedFire- for clearly the best Android launcher on the market, and for all your time and dedication in constantly improving it. It is very much appreciated I am sure by the majority of those using it, and you will always have my full support going into the future.
    Guys!
    It seems that I've found the best solution for Normal / Split-Screen modes. Take a look:

Here is a short demo of two modes in the alpha version:
    1) Normal mode - launcher does not support split screen (bad) but behaves as a normal launcher and is not visible in the list of recent apps (good).
    2) Split screen mode - launcher supports 50/50 multi window mode (good) but is visible in the list of recent apps (bad).

Every user can select the preferred mode!
    Hi all!

There were some questions in the meantime. Sorry for not answering them.

The main answer is: Yes, the project is on hold for now, as I'm involved into other projects.

However it may be resumed in the future when I have more free time.

I hope that it is quite usable in the form it is now in Play Store and everyone can use it successfully as is. I use it myself in my car every day :)

Best regards!
    New beta is out:
    - All skins are re-designed for 6x10 grid (instead of previous 6x7 grid). You need to re-apply skin if you want to switch to a new skin.
    - You can choose your favourite skin during first time setup process.
    - Time widget has new options to granually change Time and Date font sizes as well as to swap Time and Date positions
    - Re-written code for album arts in Player widget. Hopefully this will fix most issues.
    - Some other fixes.
    - For built-in skins Icons are automatically setup when put on home screen or moved (based on skins' settings for particular Icon slot).
    giphy.gif