Features lost when Rooting?

Search This thread

stuzor

Dec 31, 2008
I asked in one of the root threads and didn't get a reply. From looking through the existing threads I understand that you lose samsung pay and the hidden folder feature. I can live with those but is there any other features lost when unlocking the bootloader?

1.) Once knox is tripped will features be lost forever or start working again once tablet is returned to stock?
2.) Still shows as widevine L1? Any loss in resolution from an streaming apps (youtube, netflix, amazon prime, youtube tv)?
3.) Any other apps or features not working?

Last edited:

SteveRiley

Dec 19, 2005
Seattle, WA, USA
1. I rooted my Note 4 phone and Note Pro 12.2 tablet some years ago. Back then, I did this installing a custom recovery called TWRP. This blows an e-fuse on the main board, which prohibits Knox from working forever. Flashing back to stock recovery can't "unblow" a fuse.

2. Not sure about this one, sorry.

3. In my experience, rooting broke only those apps that relied on Knox. But I suppose these days more apps are likely to detect if they're running on a rooted device and refuse to run. That would account for the popularity of tools like Magisk that try to hide the root state from apps.

After I moved away from those devices (S7 Edge and Tab S3 were next in my history), I abandoned the rooting game. Not sure the value is worth the cost anymore.

EDIT: There are apparently ways to root without flashing a custom recovery -- this was news to me, and shows how long I've not been playing the rooting game, heh.

Last edited:

stuzor

Dec 31, 2008
1. I rooted my Note 4 phone and Note Pro 12.2 tablet some years ago. This blows an e-fuse on the main board, which prohibits Knox from working forever. Flashing back to stock can't "unblow" a fuse.

2. Not sure about this one, sorry.

3. In my experience, rooting broke only those apps that relied on Knox. But I suppose these days more apps are likely to detect if they're running on a rooted device and refuse to run. That would account for the popularity of tools like Magisk that try to hide the root state from apps.

After I moved away from those devices (S7 Edge and Tab S3 were next in my history), I abandoned the rooting game. Not sure the value is worth the cost anymore.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have rooted my samsung devices in the past as well but I believe the last one I did was my note 4 as well but I don't remember widevine being a thing back then or at least I didn't care. Of all the features I am concerned about that. Don't really care about the other samsung features save for maybe dex but I don't think that is affected. Can anyone rooted confirm if they still have widevine? Is any legit premium video app like netflix or youtube tv affected? My oneplus 7 pro had widevine downgraded I believe when the bootloader unlocked which was annoying.

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
1. I rooted my Note 4 phone and Note Pro 12.2 tablet some years ago. This blows an e-fuse on the main board, which prohibits Knox from working forever. Flashing back to stock can't "unblow" a fuse
That's not quite true these days.
Using Magisk to root doesn't "blow the e fuse".
Rooting without installing TWRP will keep the warranty status 0x0 which is valid.

BTW: Netflix ect. Works just fine.

It's nice to see old Note 4 guyz around. I was very active in the sprint Note 4 forums years ago. IMO that was the very best phone samsung ever made. @tx_dbs_tx was a mad man of a developer for that device.

Last edited:
Reactions: zefyx

SteveRiley

Dec 19, 2005
Seattle, WA, USA
Rooting without installing TWRP will keep the warranty status 0x0 which is valid.
Hey, this is interesting news! I just might take the plunge, then. Thanks for making me smarter.
EDIT. See conversation here: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s7/how-to/guide-unlock-tab-s7-bootloader-t4158841
Confirmed that unlocking the boot loader and rooting with modified firmware does trip Knox. Magisk can try to conceal this bypass some security checks, but not always successfully.

It's nice to see old Note 4 guyz around. I was very active in the sprint Note 4 forums years ago. IMO that was the very best phone samsung ever made.
100% agree. Once upon a time a Galaxy Note was not just a Galaxy S with a stylus. Alas, it appears Samsung is diligently heading away from what made the Note a distinctive device.

Last edited:

mikedavo

Sep 16, 2017
Hey, this is interesting news! I just might take the plunge, then. Thanks for making me smarter.

100% agree. Once upon a time a Galaxy Note was not just a Galaxy S with a stylus. Alas, it appears Samsung is diligently heading away from what made the Note a distinctive device.
I thought the knox tripped when you unlock the bootloader, don't you need to do this even if you root your device without installing twrp?

smartymcfly

It's nice to see old Note 4 guyz around. I was very active in the sprint Note 4 forums years ago. IMO that was the very best phone samsung ever made. @tx_dbs_tx was a mad man of a developer for that device.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Jedi.Tester

Oct 8, 2016

Can you make an instruction? Thanks

bs3pro

Jul 24, 2020
Is it sure? Even without TWRP?
By the way, knox is really important for personal use? I will still able to encrypt my tab? And update it without problem?

You lose L1 once the BL is unlocked though. So kiss goodbye HD on netflix and such on the ts7+ which is beneficial.

Last edited:

smartymcfly

You loose warranty once device is rooted. No matter if with SuperSU or magisk. Root is root

Did you see the picture in the post that was quoted?

It shows as rooted and knox efuse intact. So the warranty would still be good as long as it doesn't trip the efuse.

Look at the picture before telling me a generic answer. I already know that when the excuse is blown the warranty is lost. How do they have root without tripping the efuse?

smartymcfly

This is the picture I am referring to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201025191848.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025191848.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 547

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Is it sure? Even without TWRP?
By the way, knox is really important for personal use? I will still able to encrypt my tab? And update it without problem?

unlpcking bootloader alone doesnt trip knox but as soon as u flash any custom firmware i.e. disabled vbmeta, twrp, magisk etc. then it will trip knox.

theres thousands of threads on xda alone about tripped knox and what works n doesnt work so id go n look for urself before anything..

and usually it will break ota updates but can depend on device etc. but ull likely have to update via odin

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
You lose L1 once the BL is unlocked though. So kiss goodbye HD on netflix and such on the ts7+ which is beneficial.

dunno what L1 is but unlocking by itself doesnt trio knox, its custom firmware that trips it.. basically anything u do after unlocking lol

and netflix can still work.. its trivial for netflix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. I rooted my Note 4 phone and Note Pro 12.2 tablet some years ago. This blows an e-fuse on the main board, which prohibits Knox from working forever. Flashing back to stock can't "unblow" a fuse

Can anyone else confirm this?

You loose warranty once device is rooted. No matter if with SuperSU or magisk. Root is root
    Well, i unlocked BL, the usual way, and patched the boot.img with magisk, and my tab s7plus had wideline L3. Maybe you can enlighten me what i did wrong? Im up for advice.

You are wrong . i have magisk v22 on stock Android 11 T875 (NO Twrp since for my model doesnt exist)
    Tab S7 4G and Still Widevine L1

i unlocked Bootloader usual way and patched the whole AP file with Magisk 22 on my Tablet, then flashed it via Odin and My Tab S7 T875 has Widevine L1 and i can watch Netflix Hulu and Amazon Prime ( ALL IN HD). So what i think is u have to patch the AP file NOT the Boot file in Android 11.

The method of patching bootloader only worked in Android 10 for me not on Android 11

here is some proof for you. see the screenshots :p

if still not satisfied ill upload a video for you. Try Installing pure stock rom without twrp if you have installed twrp. and use complete AP file to patch with magisk and then flash via odin i hope it works for you. best of luck.
    You are wrong . i have magisk v22 on stock Android 11 T875 (NO Twrp since for my model doesnt exist)
    Tab S7 4G and Still Widevine L1

i unlocked Bootloader usual way and patched the whole AP file with Magisk 22 on my Tablet, then flashed it via Odin and My Tab S7 T875 has Widevine L1 and i can watch Netflix Hulu and Amazon Prime ( ALL IN HD). So what i think is u have to patch the AP file NOT the Boot file in Android 11.

The method of patching bootloader only worked in Android 10 for me not on Android 11

here is some proof for you. see the screenshots :p

if still not satisfied ill upload a video for you. Try Installing pure stock rom without twrp if you have installed twrp. and use complete AP file to patch with magisk and then flash via odin i hope it works for you. best of luck.
    Dont bother yourself with that guy im sure he even dont own the device he did same With me on blackshark 3 pro bl unlicking thread