Feeling stoopid... [Magsk-patched boot + TWRP]

Search This thread

edison

Jul 21, 2007
Hey guys,

So I grabbed the latest factory image, patched boot with Magisk, and flashed it to the phone. Works great.

But now I want to use TWRP. I can't figure out how to get TWRP on this device.

It seems there's no recovery partition, so I can't use fastboot flash recovery twrp.img. I know I can flash arter97's kernel, which has TWRP baked-in, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it with the stock-Magisk-patched kernel.

Can someone please hit me with a clue-stick?

-edison

get the razer phone 2 arter97 kernel and flash to boot. twrp will be installed.
I'm on the PSMR3-RC002 version. Which version of Arter97 kernel works and is stable? Also, does this effect the Magisk root availability, or do I need to run Magisk patch on Arter's Kernel? I had used R12 in the past, prior to the new Magisk Boot-patch scheme, and also lost TWRP afterwards. I haven't gone and tried to reflash Arter97-R12 since I didn't want to bork anything and couldn't find an definitive answer.

_Sherrif

Jul 15, 2015
Texas ?
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm on the PSMR3-RC002 version. Which version of Arter97 kernel works and is stable? Also, does this effect the Magisk root availability, or do I need to run Magisk patch on Arter's Kernel? I had used R12 in the past, prior to the new Magisk Boot-patch scheme, and also lost TWRP afterwards. I haven't gone and tried to reflash Arter97-R12 since I didn't want to bork anything and couldn't find an definitive answer.
@MoPhoMike,
I use arter kernel v12.0, seems to be as stable as can be, no hiccups or issues with 12 for me and have been running 12 for about a year.
Flash arter kernel to boot "fastboot flash boot arterxxx.img" xxx is for whichever version you flash or how you named the img.

Once the arter kernel is flashed, i then boot into TWRP. Either from bootloader on your phone, select recovery or use fastboot commands.

Then you can flash magisk from TWRP.
NOTE, i have some posts where folks say to boot up the phone after flashing arter kernel, then reboot to recovery and flash magisk. I do it the way i noted above and never had issues.

****No need to patch Magisk that I'm aware of****

Hope this helps...

Reactions: MoPhoMike
The new version of Magisk doesn't install via recovery, but from Magisk Manager, and in doing so, it patches the boot.img from the app, then reboots, which then removes TWRP. I may just try to flash arter12 and see what happens. It sucks, because I don't have TWRP installed, and therefore can't make a nandroid backup.

Reactions: Lei.Diya.Adolf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @MoPhoMike,
    I use arter kernel v12.0, seems to be as stable as can be, no hiccups or issues with 12 for me and have been running 12 for about a year.
    Flash arter kernel to boot "fastboot flash boot arterxxx.img" xxx is for whichever version you flash or how you named the img.

Once the arter kernel is flashed, i then boot into TWRP. Either from bootloader on your phone, select recovery or use fastboot commands.

Then you can flash magisk from TWRP.
    NOTE, i have some posts where folks say to boot up the phone after flashing arter kernel, then reboot to recovery and flash magisk. I do it the way i noted above and never had issues.

****No need to patch Magisk that I'm aware of****

Hope this helps...
    The new version of Magisk doesn't install via recovery, but from Magisk Manager, and in doing so, it patches the boot.img from the app, then reboots, which then removes TWRP. I may just try to flash arter12 and see what happens. It sucks, because I don't have TWRP installed, and therefore can't make a nandroid backup.