Fermata Media Player - audio and video player for Android Auto

Search This thread
Hi Andrey, I have tested 1.8.8 and it is working fine, thanks.
However I just realized I could not choose any captions or even turn it on while watching youtube videos in my car
When I clicked the caption setting in youtube videos, it did not give a dropdown list like in PC browser.
I could do it through the phone interface though. Is it a known issue?

Last edited:

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
Hi Andrey, I have tested 1.8.8 and it is working fine, thanks.
However I just realized I could not choose any captions or even turn it on while watching youtube videos. in my car
When I clicked the caption setting in youtube videos, it did not give a dropdown list like in PC browser.
I could do it through the phone interface though. Is it a known issue?
Yes, it's a know issue. Youtube popup menu does not work in AA.

Vifferen

Nov 15, 2021
I noticed, that Google wouldn't let me log in due to security issues in the "Fermata browser".
What a pity...
Can someone confirm and/or explain that?

Last edited:

mars08

Jun 14, 2021
I understand that this thread is mostly about software issues and problems... so this might be the wrong place to ask...

How many people have been able to successfully use Femata v1.8.8 with AA v7.0.xxxx for a LONG period of time? Are they compatible?

I ask because I'm still using AA v6.9.613724 and am hesitating on upgrading to a newer version. Is there any SOLID confirmation that Google has blacklisted Fermata in the newer versions of AA?

rapdes

Dec 4, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro
I tried logging into Netflix on the browser, but when I type information on the keyboard when using android auto it doesn't enter into the fields, any ideas why this is happening?
Also I noticed that if I open fermata on my phone where I can log into Netflix, it gives me an error every time I try to play anything.

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020

fatihtuzun

May 7, 2021
Along with fermata, all the 3rd part applications disappeared from androidauto today. I guess Google blocked them all

Sjhingan

Jul 24, 2018
Google Pixel 6
All #rd party apps disappeared. Im guessing we'll have to roll back the GPS to an earlier version. Anyone have any idea what combination of AA and GPS will work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

For those who have root, I think I found a way to avoid Android Auto removing apps:

1. Clear app data for AA and set up it on your car the way you like it
    2. Use a terminal to change permission for AA shared_prefs directory under /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead (I used root shell, not sure if it would work without it)

chmod -R 551 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/shared_prefs

It has been working fine for a couple days but I guess you won't be able to change any setting.
    Hi guys!

Doing more tests... it seemed that only working with shared_prefs eventually did not work. I made further changes and so far (~ 3 days and multiple force closes/reboots) everything still working fine.

1. I noticed some files being created under phenotype/shared dir. This one specifically, com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb, is not present right after clear data but gets downloaded later on.

I emptied it with "echo "" > com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb" - if it does not exist you can use touch to create an empty file - and also changed ownership of the entire shared/ dir to root and set permissions to 400 (only root user can read them). So far everything working.

I also saw that on the shared_prefs when I made them read only AA created new files. Maybe we can let them with default permissions and settings can be changed - I left them since I set it up the way I like it and don't think will need to change anything later.
    My AA release is 7.5.121304, a beta from APKmirror.

Commands to test, right after clear data:

chown -R root:root /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared touch /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb chmod -R 400 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/* chmod 600 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared

Let me know how it goes for you, I think I might be on the right track here!

Thanks,
    Marcos
    For reference my directory listings so far:

drwx------ 2 root root 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:56 shared # ls -ltrah total 9.0K drwx------ 3 u0_a176 u0_a176 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:23 .. -r-------- 1 root root 1.8K 2022-04-16 20:24 com.google.android.gms.maps#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb -r-------- 1 root root 0 2022-04-16 20:51 gh.phenotype.pb.lock -r-------- 1 root root 4 2022-04-16 20:52 gh.phenotype.pb.version -r-------- 1 root root 1 2022-04-16 20:56 com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb -r-------- 1 root root 1.0K 2022-04-16 20:56 com.google.android.libraries.surveys#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb drwx------ 2 root root 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:56 .
    Hi guys!

Doing more tests... it seemed that only working with shared_prefs eventually did not work. I made further changes and so far (~ 3 days and multiple force closes/reboots) everything still working fine.

1. I noticed some files being created under phenotype/shared dir. This one specifically, com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb, is not present right after clear data but gets downloaded later on.

I emptied it with "echo "" > com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb" - if it does not exist you can use touch to create an empty file - and also changed ownership of the entire shared/ dir to root and set permissions to 400 (only root user can read them). So far everything working.

I also saw that on the shared_prefs when I made them read only AA created new files. Maybe we can let them with default permissions and settings can be changed - I left them since I set it up the way I like it and don't think will need to change anything later.
    My AA release is 7.5.121304, a beta from APKmirror.

Commands to test, right after clear data:

chown -R root:root /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared touch /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb chmod -R 400 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/* chmod 600 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared

Let me know how it goes for you, I think I might be on the right track here!

Thanks,
    Marcos
    You are on the right track, mate.
    The other day I did set 551 to shared_prefs and I too noticed the files in /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/

This is indeed the only place new files are created. They are the culprit, I think. Because when I restore data backup of AA without wiping data first, they remain (SwiftBackup does not wipe before restore of data unlike TB) and things are not working. If I however wipe AA and then restore data of AA, things are OK.

I'm suspecting mostly this file:
    /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/gh.phenotype.pb

I hope I have some time these days to check your latest finds and will report here.

Also, I thought at first that when I set 551 to shared_prefs, the files under /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/ didn't get created (that was the case the whole day yesterday with me). Now I see they have been crated again... So one definitely has to try emptying or deleting them and restsrt AA for things to work. Plus making them read only is a must.
    I wanted to change the applications order and add some speed dial entries so I reversed the ownership and permissions of the shared_prefs dir, maintaining the changes to phenotype/shared.

So far everything still working fine! Maybe only the phenotype changes are required.
    Fermata Media Player is a free, open source audio, video and TV player with a simple and intuitive interface. It is focused on playing media files organized in folders and playlists.

Supported features:

⚫ Play media files organized in folders
    ⚫ IPTV addon with support for EPG and archives
    ⚫ Youtube and web browser addons
    ⚫ Support for network folders: SFTP, SMB (CIFS), Google drive
    ⚫ Remembers the last played track and position for each folder
    ⚫ Support for favorites and playlists
    ⚫ Support for CUE and M3U playlists
    ⚫ Support for M3U playlist URLs
    ⚫ Support for bookmarks
    ⚫ Shuffle and repeat functions
    ⚫ Playback timer
    ⚫ Audio effects: Equalizer, Bass Boost and Virtualizer
    ⚫ Configure audio effects for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Configure playback speed for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Sort tracks by name, file name, date or randomly
    ⚫ Customizable titles and subtitles
    ⚫ Support for Android Auto
    ⚫ Pluggable media engines: MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC
    ⚫ Video player with support for subtitles (VLC Engine only)

There are two version of the player:

1. The first one has support for Android Auto as a media service. This version is available on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.aap.fermata
    2. The second one provides the same functionality, but can be launched as an Android Auto application, i.e. with its own interface:

IMG-20191227-211919.jpg

IMG-20191227-211944.jpg

To install this version, you may either use the Android Auto Apps Downloader (recommended) or, for manual installation, follow the instructions below. Before the installation, make sure that the "Unknown sources" option is enabled in the Android Auto settings. To enable this option, open AA settings on your phone and go to the "Developer Settings" section.

Manual installation
    Installing with KingInstaller (attached):
    • Download and install the attached apk.
    • Open KingInstaller.
    • Select Fermata-auto.apk, downloaded from Github.
    • Press the install button.
    Installing from PC (adb utility is required, does not work for Android 11+):
    • Install adb - https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
    • Connect device to USB
    • Open console and run the following commands:
    • adb push fermata-XXX-auto-universal-armXX.apk /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    • adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    • adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    Installing from Android (ROOT is required):
    • Install the downloaded apk.
    • Download and install AIO Tweaker - https://github.com/shmykelsa/AA-Tweaker/tags .
    • Start the tweaker, open the apps list, select Fermata Auto in the list, return to the main screen and press the PATCH button. Reboot the device.
    Before connecting to Android Auto:
    • Install the fermata-auto-control apk. This application is only required if you need support for steering wheel media buttons.
    • Start the player, grant permissions and add folders.
    Temporary solution with changed package name.
    New in 1.7.0 Beta https://github.com/AndreyPavlenko/Fermata/releases/tag/v1.7.0b :
    Youtube web view.
    Basic web browser with support for bookmarks and full screen.
    Gestures support by video and control panel view:
    - Vertical scroll - volume up/down
    - Horizontal scroll:
    1 finger - emulates rw/ff button click (skip 5 seconds by default)
    2 fingers - long click on rw/ff button (skip 20 seconds)
    3 fingers - long click prev/next button (skip 5%)
    Swipe left/right - play prev/next track
    Swipe up/down - play prev/next folder
    Double click - play/pause
    Fermata stop working on 7.0 too were I use few day ago. I think Google blacklisted it, maybe try to rename package name can be a workaround
    Seems like that :( Package renaming works, but I don't think it's a good solution. Google has many ways to block any app.
    Unfortunately, for both situations (checked or not) netflix gives only sound no picture 😔
    I'll update webkit in the next version. Perhaps, it will help.