Fermata Media Player - audio and video player for Android Auto

Search This thread

markinhosmrk

Apr 25, 2012
Hi guys!

Doing more tests... it seemed that only working with shared_prefs eventually did not work. I made further changes and so far (~ 3 days and multiple force closes/reboots) everything still working fine.

1. I noticed some files being created under phenotype/shared dir. This one specifically, com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb, is not present right after clear data but gets downloaded later on.

I emptied it with "echo "" > com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb" - if it does not exist you can use touch to create an empty file - and also changed ownership of the entire shared/ dir to root and set permissions to 400 (only root user can read them). So far everything working.

I also saw that on the shared_prefs when I made them read only AA created new files. Maybe we can let them with default permissions and settings can be changed - I left them since I set it up the way I like it and don't think will need to change anything later.
My AA release is 7.5.121304, a beta from APKmirror.

Commands to test, right after clear data:

chown -R root:root /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared touch /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb chmod -R 400 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/* chmod 600 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared

Let me know how it goes for you, I think I might be on the right track here!

Thanks,
Marcos

Last edited:
Reactions: skanadian and tiho5

markinhosmrk

Apr 25, 2012
For reference my directory listings so far:

drwx------ 2 root root 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:56 shared # ls -ltrah total 9.0K drwx------ 3 u0_a176 u0_a176 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:23 .. -r-------- 1 root root 1.8K 2022-04-16 20:24 com.google.android.gms.maps#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb -r-------- 1 root root 0 2022-04-16 20:51 gh.phenotype.pb.lock -r-------- 1 root root 4 2022-04-16 20:52 gh.phenotype.pb.version -r-------- 1 root root 1 2022-04-16 20:56 com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb -r-------- 1 root root 1.0K 2022-04-16 20:56 com.google.android.libraries.surveys#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb drwx------ 2 root root 3.4K 2022-04-16 20:56 .

Reactions: tiho5

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi guys!

Doing more tests... it seemed that only working with shared_prefs eventually did not work. I made further changes and so far (~ 3 days and multiple force closes/reboots) everything still working fine.

1. I noticed some files being created under phenotype/shared dir. This one specifically, com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb, is not present right after clear data but gets downloaded later on.

I emptied it with "echo "" > com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb" - if it does not exist you can use touch to create an empty file - and also changed ownership of the entire shared/ dir to root and set permissions to 400 (only root user can read them). So far everything working.

I also saw that on the shared_prefs when I made them read only AA created new files. Maybe we can let them with default permissions and settings can be changed - I left them since I set it up the way I like it and don't think will need to change anything later.

chown -R root:root /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared touch /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/com.google.android.libraries.consentverifier#com.google.android.projection.gearhead.pb chmod -R 400 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/* chmod 600 /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared

Thanks,
Marcos
You are on the right track, mate.
The other day I did set 551 to shared_prefs and I too noticed the files in /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/

This is indeed the only place new files are created. They are the culprit, I think. Because when I restore data backup of AA without wiping data first, they remain (SwiftBackup does not wipe before restore of data unlike TB) and things are not working. If I however wipe AA and then restore data of AA, things are OK.

I'm suspecting mostly this file:
/data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/gh.phenotype.pb

I hope I have some time these days to check your latest finds and will report here.

Also, I thought at first that when I set 551 to shared_prefs, the files under /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/ didn't get created (that was the case the whole day yesterday with me). Now I see they have been crated again... So one definitely has to try emptying or deleting them and restsrt AA for things to work. Plus making them read only is a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: markinhosmrk

markinhosmrk

Apr 25, 2012
I wanted to change the applications order and add some speed dial entries so I reversed the ownership and permissions of the shared_prefs dir, maintaining the changes to phenotype/shared.

So far everything still working fine! Maybe only the phenotype changes are required.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
I wanted to change the applications order and add some speed dial entries so I reversed the ownership and permissions of the shared_prefs dir, maintaining the changes to phenotype/shared.

So far everything still working fine! Maybe only the phenotype changes are required.
Sounds really nice!
Let us know in a couple of days again, please. I still have no time to check myself these days...
Thank you again.

Reactions: markinhosmrk

rmrbpt

Nov 4, 2011
Guys I have android auto on a car withou touchescreen.
If I chose a video from the camera album on the phone, the video is displayed on Android Auto. However if I select a video from Youtube it only gets displayed on the phone.
Can I control or "send" youtube videos from the app on the phone to the car?

markinhosmrk

Apr 25, 2012
Sounds really nice!
Let us know in a couple of days again, please. I still have no time to check myself these days...
Thank you again.

It's been a couple days and seems that changing permissions/ownership for /phenotype/shared directory is sufficient, everything still working fine (in my case it is basically Fermata and the coolwalk interface).

Hope it keeps working on future releases, but for now I'll stick with this one 😊

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
It's been a couple days and seems that changing permissions/ownership for /phenotype/shared directory is sufficient, everything still working fine (in my case it is basically Fermata and the coolwalk interface).

Hope it keeps working on future releases, but for now I'll stick with this one 😊
I feel it's going to stick working. Thanks for the idea and reporting here.

Could you please share what exactly you did last for /data/data/com.google.android.projection.gearhead/files/phenotype/shared/. What permissions you actually ended up giving and ownership? Which were your actual commands? Did you empty and which files first? Did you also leave 551 for shared_prefs folder too?

Better to leave something final (even step by step) here for everybody to use. I also think this should be posted in the AIO tweaker and Screen2Auto threads as well.

Thanks again.

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com

Thanks for this. I feel it is interesting and in the right direction.
But couple of days working, proves nothing. Everything is working here also for weeks without doing anything special (except cutting internet)..

garapaboy

Sep 9, 2009
Amsterdam
OnePlus Nord 2 5G

Kindly request,a guide step by step how to do this. Like to try this out.

narcotic81

Mar 17, 2008
Guys I have android auto on a car withou touchescreen.
If I chose a video from the camera album on the phone, the video is displayed on Android Auto. However if I select a video from Youtube it only gets displayed on the phone.
Can I control or "send" youtube videos from the app on the phone to the car?
I also have a car without touchscreen, it would be ideal if we could somehow to "send" and control the videos (play, pause, control the progress bar) from the phone. Maybe an option when the phone is connected to android auto all the selections to be used to control the player on the car's screen

Erni1983

May 2, 2022
Hi
I have the Fermata Auto 1.8.11 application installed by AAAD on a Samsung A02s with Android 11 and I have some trouble with YouTube functionality in this application.
Namely, when I start Fermat Auto YouTube, start a song in the car and switch to, for example, air conditioning, I stop playing music from YouTube and switch to the car radio. Then, after switching to YouTube and finishing a given song, the next one loads, but the screen is already white. Another thing is between loading songs on YouTube, the music goes to the car radio.
Can someone help me in this topic? Maybe it's a matter of some settings?
Regards

Last edited:

Yamil2k11

Feb 4, 2011
Hello guys!

I have Fermata Auto 1.8.11 running in my Galaxy Note 10+ with Android 12 and One UI 4.1 and use the app with Android Auto 7.6.621714. I have a local folder in my phone with music videos and also created a playlist based on this folder. Here is my main problem with Fermata Auto, when I play a video in the folder and I wanto play the next video, when I move to the next video using the button on Android Auto or in my phone, the next video never plays from the beggining. In other words, If I'm playing videos from a folder or playlist and I move to the next video (file), the next video never plays from the beggining, the video starts from a point but never from the beggining. Its like Fermata remember the last position and apply the same position to every video in the folder, and this happen even If I don't move to the next video, when the video finishes and automatically open the next video in the playlist (folder) the next video plays from a ramdom point, but not from the beggining.

What I would like to do is just to play videos normally, If I don't want to keep listening to a video and wants to move to the next video, I would like the next video to play from the beggining (as normally expected) and not from a point in the middle of the video or even the end.

What can I do? I really like Fermata Auto but this issue is really annoying, how can I solve this?? .... Thanks in advance

distrata

Sep 18, 2008
Hello I have Realme gt master edition, i have your problem. Is impossible appear custom apk in AA because i not encounter the reason of this problem, i use all metod you describ not have result the only final chosee is flash another rom stock more old please wend you have solution for this problem. Writeme
It seems that there is a Realme general incompatibility since Fermata was working fine with samsung A21 but recently i changed to realme 8 5G and same APK's with same installation process shows only fermata control on AA screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys!
    Just an update, I've been using the procedure below for about two months and still working fine.
    I've just updated from 7.5 to latest 7.8 beta and those permissions were kept, didn't have to make any change, and I still see Fermata listed.

Thanks,
    Marcos

Hi guys!

Thanks,
    Marcos
    Fermata Media Player is a free, open source audio, video and TV player with a simple and intuitive interface. It is focused on playing media files organized in folders and playlists.

Supported features:

⚫ Play media files organized in folders
    ⚫ IPTV addon with support for EPG and archives
    ⚫ Youtube and web browser addons
    ⚫ Support for network folders: SFTP, SMB (CIFS), Google drive
    ⚫ Remembers the last played track and position for each folder
    ⚫ Support for favorites and playlists
    ⚫ Support for CUE and M3U playlists
    ⚫ Support for M3U playlist URLs
    ⚫ Support for bookmarks
    ⚫ Shuffle and repeat functions
    ⚫ Playback timer
    ⚫ Audio effects: Equalizer, Bass Boost and Virtualizer
    ⚫ Configure audio effects for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Configure playback speed for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Sort tracks by name, file name, date or randomly
    ⚫ Customizable titles and subtitles
    ⚫ Support for Android Auto
    ⚫ Pluggable media engines: MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC
    ⚫ Video player with support for subtitles (VLC Engine only)

There are two version of the player:

1. The first one has support for Android Auto as a media service. This version is available on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.aap.fermata
    2. The second one provides the same functionality, but can be launched as an Android Auto application, i.e. with its own interface:

IMG-20191227-211919.jpg

IMG-20191227-211944.jpg

To install this version, you may either use the Android Auto Apps Downloader (recommended) or, for manual installation, follow the instructions below. Before the installation, make sure that the "Unknown sources" option is enabled in the Android Auto settings. To enable this option, open AA settings on your phone and go to the "Developer Settings" section.

Manual installation
    Installing with KingInstaller (attached):
    • Download and install the attached apk.
    • Open KingInstaller.
    • Select Fermata-auto.apk, downloaded from Github.
    • Press the install button.
    Installing from PC (adb utility is required, does not work for Android 11+):
    • Install adb - https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
    • Connect device to USB
    • Open console and run the following commands:
    • adb push fermata-XXX-auto-universal-armXX.apk /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    • adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    • adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/fermata.apk
    Installing from Android (ROOT is required):
    • Install the downloaded apk.
    • Download and install AIO Tweaker - https://github.com/shmykelsa/AA-Tweaker/tags .
    • Start the tweaker, open the apps list, select Fermata Auto in the list, return to the main screen and press the PATCH button. Reboot the device.
    Before connecting to Android Auto:
    • Install the fermata-auto-control apk. This application is only required if you need support for steering wheel media buttons.
    • Start the player, grant permissions and add folders.
    Temporary solution with changed package name.
    New in 1.7.0 Beta https://github.com/AndreyPavlenko/Fermata/releases/tag/v1.7.0b :
    Youtube web view.
    Basic web browser with support for bookmarks and full screen.
    Gestures support by video and control panel view:
    - Vertical scroll - volume up/down
    - Horizontal scroll:
    1 finger - emulates rw/ff button click (skip 5 seconds by default)
    2 fingers - long click on rw/ff button (skip 20 seconds)
    3 fingers - long click prev/next button (skip 5%)
    Swipe left/right - play prev/next track
    Swipe up/down - play prev/next folder
    Double click - play/pause
    Fermata stop working on 7.0 too were I use few day ago. I think Google blacklisted it, maybe try to rename package name can be a workaround
    Seems like that :( Package renaming works, but I don't think it's a good solution. Google has many ways to block any app.
    Unfortunately, for both situations (checked or not) netflix gives only sound no picture 😔
    I'll update webkit in the next version. Perhaps, it will help.