Figured it out - S2 Step Count showing in Google Fit, MyFitnessPal, etc.

Search This thread

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
Not a fan of S Health because it's reporting views are pretty poor. If you want to record nutrition, you can really only view calorie intake, not actual nutrition (eg. sugar, carbs, protein, etc). I prefer to have a central hub for fitness information and was using MFP when I was wearing my Fitbit because it integrates with Fitbit, Endomondo, etc. I played around with S Health SDK and data viewer to see if I could code a plugin to view that data in S Health, but no go (and no Strava or Endomondo integration anyway). Not interested in Lifesum and the need to buy a premium subscription to make it remotely useful.

Finally, I figured out a way of getting S2 step count data into MFP (and therefore facilitating integration with Endomond, Strava, etc) and probably Fitbit as well.

It's kludgy, but it works:

1. Install Withings HealthMate.
  2. Open S Health and under More/Settings/Data Permissions, turn on Withings and enable Step Count. Withings will now read and record your S2 Step Count from S Health.
  3. Install Google Fit.
  4. Scroll down to Connected Apps and Goolge Fit Apps & Devices, connect Withings to Google Fit. Gootle Fit can now read and record your step count from Withings.
  5. Install MyFitnessPal and then scroll to Steps. Under Steps, select "Android" as your device and MFP will now read Step count from Google Fit.

In theory, Google Fit shouldn't be necessary as MFP claims to support Withings integration. I have not been able to get that to work because I think it requires an actual Withings device. Since MFP has the widest scope of integration, you should then be able to use your S2 step count with the long list of MFP compatible apps and devices including Strava, Endomondo, UA Record, etc.

Mods, I know I started a new thread for this and there are others complaining about lack of integration ... wanted to put the solution in one place for reference. If it should be somewhere else, please move it.

persichini

Dec 2, 2010
DFW
Not a fan of S Health because it's reporting views are pretty poor. If you want to record nutrition, you can really only view calorie intake, not actual nutrition (eg. sugar, carbs, protein, etc). I prefer to have a central hub for fitness information and was using MFP when I was wearing my Fitbit because it integrates with Fitbit, Endomondo, etc. I played around with S Health SDK and data viewer to see if I could code a plugin to view that data in S Health, but no go (and no Strava or Endomondo integration anyway). Not interested in Lifesum and the need to buy a premium subscription to make it remotely useful.

Finally, I figured out a way of getting S2 step count data into MFP (and therefore facilitating integration with Endomond, Strava, etc) and probably Fitbit as well.

2. Open S Health and under More/Settings/Data Permissions, turn on Withings and enable Step Count. Withings will now read and record your S2 Step Count from S Health.
  3. Install Google Fit.
  4. Scroll down to Connected Apps and Goolge Fit Apps & Devices, connect Withings to Google Fit. Gootle Fit can now read and record your step count from Withings.
  5. Install MyFitnessPal and then scroll to Steps. Under Steps, select "Android" as your device and MFP will now read Step count from Google Fit.

In theory, Google Fit shouldn't be necessary as MFP claims to support Withings integration. I have not been able to get that to work because I think it requires an actual Withings device. Since MFP has the widest scope of integration, you should then be able to use your S2 step count with the long list of MFP compatible apps and devices including Strava, Endomondo, UA Record, etc.

Mods, I know I started a new thread for this and there are others complaining about lack of integration ... wanted to put the solution in one place for reference. If it should be somewhere else, please move it.

WOW.. that is an incredibly long work around. there has to be away to do this with out 4 apps running in the background to sync..

Reactions: prowler9

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
WOW.. that is an incredibly long work around. there has to be away to do this with out 4 apps running in the background to sync..

I wish ... as I said, I thought I could eliminate Google Fit from the equation but not really. That said, I am not sure all the apps need to run in the background. In some cases, the APIs that link MFP to other services are not device level but operate on the web. In other words, some of these services sync data with each other across the web, not on the device.

ColMustard

Jan 28, 2012
North of Boston, MA
Well, did you try Add a device? What happens?
Well, yes I did and Android was not an option.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

3. Install Google Fit.

From these instructions, the only thing I was able to do in Connect Withing Healthmate to S Health. Did not see Withing as an option to connect to Google Fit or Android as an option to connect as a device in MFP.

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
In Google Fit, scroll down to Connected Apps. Select "All apps & devices" and there should be along list of apps. Scroll down to Withings and select it. You should get the option to connect Withings to Fit.

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
It is working for me. The only thing is that nothing updates instantly so there's no way to tell until you check back a bit later. If it's not working, maybe uninstall Withings/Fit and start over?

sefar

Dec 27, 2011
I had trouble at first too. Withings does not show up as an app I can connect in google Fit.

I installed and set up the Withings app, then logged out of it and back in. It brought me to a "steps" page, and asked me to activate steps. (I probably could have done this from teh Withings dashboard.) When I did, it read the steps from Google Fit (I presume) and they displayed in the Withings app. My google fit app currently reads from my Sony Smartband Talk, which I am wearing today instead of the Gear S2. I opened S health and the step count is there as well. This absolutely works, thanks for the workaround! It also picked up steps from S Health when I wore the S2 over the weekend.

can't get sleep to transfer yet, but thanks for the great workaround!

Last edited:
Reactions: kirstieh

razorseal

Oct 6, 2006
South FL
I got it to connect withings to S health and do see my steps, but like others, I'm not seeing withings as a connected app/device in settings. so without that middleman, I dont think I can get MFP to work. I was hoping to get fitbit integration as I use fitbit stuff often (and their scale)

edit: I got it to connect. It's done from the withings profile page (to connect to google fit) the only issue is, google fit only pulls the "weight" information I manually entered and did not update the steps...

Last edited:
Reactions: ColMustard

kirstieh

Feb 15, 2016
Nearly there, just one last issue. Please can you help?

Hello

This is an amazing thread and I am nearly there but.....
1) I have linked google fit to withings (All good and showing steps)
2) Have linked withings to S Health (All good showing steps)

However...when I go to MFP and to the Steps menu, it doesn't give me the option to select Android. I can only see a range of Apps to choose from. Without this MFP doesn't know where to get the steps from does it? Or am I over complicating it?

Can anyone help? So close:mad:

sefar

Dec 27, 2011
I didn't have the option either at first, but it was working anyway. You have to link Withings to google fit first (I think) and then open google fit and make it work that way. The other thing I noticed in Withings is that you to activate step counting before it actually worked for me. I never got the option to select Android either.

the other thing that I did was downloaded Sleep as Android and shared that with S Health.

Reactions: kirstieh

kirstieh

Feb 15, 2016
I didn't have the option either at first, but it was working anyway. You have to link Withings to google fit first (I think) and then open google fit and make it work that way. The other thing I noticed in Withings is that you to activate step counting before it actually worked for me. I never got the option to select Android either.

the other thing that I did was downloaded Sleep as Android and shared that with S Health.

Ooh thanks so much,

Can I just check.....in your MFP what did you select under the STEPS menu as your default? I currently have Withings tracker....should I select something else or have you got the steps turned off completely?

Thanks in anticipation :fingers-crossed:

sefar

Dec 27, 2011
Ooh thanks so much,

Can I just check.....in your MFP what did you select under the STEPS menu as your default? I currently have Withings tracker....should I select something else or have you got the steps turned off completely?

Thanks in anticipation :fingers-crossed:
i am embarrassed to say I don't know what you mean by MFP.

There is a lag somewhere as well. currently, S Health shows 3637 steps, withings shows about 2400 and google fit shows 1900 or so.

kirstieh

Feb 15, 2016

i am embarrassed to say I don't know what you mean by MFP.

There is a lag somewhere as well. currently, S Health shows 3637 steps, withings shows about 2400 and google fit shows 1900 or so.

Sorry I mean My Fitness Pal :laugh:

OK I think I have it...

To send step count = Withings linked to S Health (and so Gear S2)

To link MFP to be able to read Step count = Google Fit linked to Withings

To get MFP to pick up steps from S Health = MFP linked to Google Fit

FINALLY...........MFP STEPS set to "android" (It finally appeared after reboot)

I am wondering if need to have BOTH Withings and Google Fit linked to MFP or is this creating a circular link? :cyclops:

Henri Claytor

Sep 26, 2013
Step count doubles

I've followed the instructions, however my step count doubles as either google fit or withings decides to use my internal step counter adding to the S2's step count.

Reactions: AmyMejlak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Install Google Fit.

3. Install Google Fit.

I had trouble at first too. Withings does not show up as an app I can connect in google Fit.

I installed and set up the Withings app, then logged out of it and back in. It brought me to a "steps" page, and asked me to activate steps. (I probably could have done this from teh Withings dashboard.) When I did, it read the steps from Google Fit (I presume) and they displayed in the Withings app. My google fit app currently reads from my Sony Smartband Talk, which I am wearing today instead of the Gear S2. I opened S health and the step count is there as well. This absolutely works, thanks for the workaround! It also picked up steps from S Health when I wore the S2 over the weekend.

can't get sleep to transfer yet, but thanks for the great workaround!
    I got it to connect withings to S health and do see my steps, but like others, I'm not seeing withings as a connected app/device in settings. so without that middleman, I dont think I can get MFP to work. I was hoping to get fitbit integration as I use fitbit stuff often (and their scale)

edit: I got it to connect. It's done from the withings profile page (to connect to google fit) the only issue is, google fit only pulls the "weight" information I manually entered and did not update the steps...
    That was the missing piece, good find.