• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Final conclusion of the OP9PRO

Search This thread

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
So, came back to OnePlus from my Samsung S20+ after a long year of stock. My conclusion after returning to a new handset the OnePlus 9 Pro. At first I was in awe of it's beauty and to hold it naked was amazing. But, after some time getting really familiar with the device, things are beginning to go south. As with my previous device,being the op7pro, things got wonky after the device started heating up,(which is fairly easy to do with OnePlus). Noticing major lag as of late with stuttering and other graphic issues that persist with doing minor to moderate loads such as downloading things and browsing the web and evern watching videos. The device just begins heating up out of nowhere. Sure browsing the web is perfect and watching short videos is a pleasure,but, I'm beginning to face short task with heat issues. Also,after a few updates on Play store, device is acting a bit weird. Most apps I have optimized and things are starting to pop up as draining battery when the app hasn't been opened up for weeks. Not sure what is causing this,but, so far, OnePlus is heading down the wrong road lately. I mean, the device is beautiful,but, if it can't perform with simple tasks and keep up,this will be the last device from them I ever own.
Not complaining, just rather disappointed with their direction. Great,well, they were, until as of late. Hopefully future updates fix it, if not, they'll be losing another one

EDIT:
So I actually figured out what the issue with my phone was. I was having a kernel issue and quickly got that resolved. So before anyone else gets there panties in a bunch and starts acting like OnePlus is a cult, relax..... It was an issue I faced for messing with things. Everything has been stable with Omegas latest kernel. Rant over.

Last edited:

luckylui

Aug 14, 2010
Chi-Town
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had a few issues like you have mentioned. Personally, I myself, would never go back to Samsung ever again. Being around XDA, since the HTC Touch Pro days with Sense 3D, and then getting freed to run Android were the glory days. Bugs will be bugs, can't kill all the bugs, unless you nuke it all together lol. All the phones though that I've had, Samsung was the most pain in the rear to especially root and their iPhone UI looking clone I didn't like. Again, that's just me though! I can deal with OnePlus goofy sense of thinking at times lol. Hopefully, they do fix their ways cause like you said about leaving and that can hurt a company especially in numbers.

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
I've had a few issues like you have mentioned. Personally, I myself, would never go back to Samsung ever again. Being around XDA, since the HTC Touch Pro days with Sense 3D, and then getting freed to run Android were the glory days. Bugs will be bugs, can't kill all the bugs, unless you nuke it all together lol. All the phones though that I've had, Samsung was the most pain in the rear to especially root and their iPhone UI looking clone I didn't like. Again, that's just me though! I can deal with OnePlus goofy sense of thinking at times lol. Hopefully, they do fix their ways cause like you said about leaving and that can hurt a company especially in numbers.
Not sure if I'd return to a Samsung either. I like Samsung for functionality. Overall,Samsung is very good quality opposed to what they've released in the past. I rarely use my camera and was thing of Legion 2(Lenovo) or Red Magic. Unsure until the s22 is released

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I have an S21, Pixel 4A 5G and OP 9 Pro right now, and I use an iPhone 12 Pro as my personal device. All of the Android devices have their pros and cons, The S21 is the perfect size for *me*, but the camera is fairly bad, and the display is washed out in natural mode (Software issue, get on it, Samsung). The Pixel is great, but I HATE the rear fingerprint sensor. Absolutely hate it. The OP is slightly too large for me, and the fingerprint sensor is too low.

If you put working Google VVM on the Oneplus (my carrier blocks it), or fixed the S21 camera/colors, they would be ideal phones. Until then, I'm sticking with the OP, at least until the Pixel 6 comes out.

paysen

Nov 3, 2010
I would have a look at the apps you installed, it sounds more like one of these is causing these issues. Many ppl install countless "free" apps with so much background usage + different and even unoptimized launchers like the nova launcher. I have never had any overheating issues, especially not while browsing the web or watching videos for a long time. No hiccups, no lags, nothing. But then again, I have just a few apps that I need to be happy.

Reactions: drkalo

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
I would have a look at the apps you installed, it sounds more like one of these is causing these issues. Many ppl install countless "free" apps with so much background usage + different and even unoptimized launchers like the nova launcher. I have never had any overheating issues, especially not while browsing the web or watching videos for a long time. No hiccups, no lags, nothing. But then again, I have just a few apps that I need to be happy.
I know what my issue as but I choose not to post it. It's in a PM.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I'm a pretty heavy user, spend most of my time either on the web, netflix, gaming, streaming spotify to my car, or any soft of stuff, I spend more time on the phone than on the computer.
I've not experience any of the stuff you mentioned in your opening post.

I can say this 1+9 Pro is more rock solid than my previous Razer Phone 2.
I had some annoying minor grievances bugs in RP2, mostly to do with missing Notifications. (a mix of sleeping mode, google delay, wake up delay, idle, etc... there was no good software settings to manage it)
After moving to 1+9 Pro all those issues went away, with the improved notification options, power options and GPS options.

As for Samsung... I'm never going back to them again, unless I want a stock phone for non-tech friends or family members.
I used to love Samsung phone specs in the past, and because they used to be hack-able, now they are just not worth the trouble.
One+ as a company is great, they are open to suggestion from their buyers, and keep integrating ideas and features that we long had to customize ourselves as part of their stock ROM, basically if I didn't need root, all the stock options are more than great.
.. and even with Root, and open Boott loader One+ made it easy to do that, just like HTC... but I wouldn't put much faith on HTC hardware, they are "OK" they have always been like that since their Windows days, it's a hit or miss, it depends on the batch of devices you get with HTC.

Last edited:

Samuel Holland

Jun 26, 2013
lake charles
For me on Unlocked oneplus 9 pro, on T-Mobile, the phone seems to get stuck going from LTE,NR-SA & SA5g.
I can disable network and enable again and it's fine. I've tried everything from modem to enabling 5G with CA.
This, & coming out of a building, my network doesn't connect by itself most of the time, I have to enable manually.
I didn't have this problem with my 8 Pro and has me considering going back to the eight pro.
The dual-sim was a letdown also, but other then that, I've really enjoyed this phone. Thanks

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
For me on Unlocked oneplus 9 pro, on T-Mobile, the phone seems to get stuck going from LTE,NR-SA & SA5g.
I can disable network and enable again and it's fine. I've tried everything from modem to enabling 5G with CA.
This, & coming out of a building, my network doesn't connect by itself most of the time, I have to enable manually.
I didn't have this problem with my 8 Pro and has me considering going back to the eight pro.
The dual-sim was a letdown also, but other then that, I've really enjoyed this phone. Thanks
Mine does the same on the stock rom.
I've had times where only a reboot would get the network to switch over.

Reactions: Samuel Holland

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
"Unoptimized launchers like Nova.". Uh yeah, nice try. That's probably the MOST optimized launcher you can use. Not to mention a plethora of more useful features than any launcher I've ever tried...

Last edited:
Reactions: tathagatab

phr0zen

May 24, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
At least you guys have 5g. AT&T hasn't whitelisted the device for their network yet, and the vast majority of employees I speak with have never even heard of OnePlus. Of course they're just call takers, so they won't have any information as to when.

To anyone else, as far as apps popping back up after they've been FC'd - give SD Maid a try. I have VERY little apps set to boot with the device. I don't care they take a little longer to load up when I decide to open them, as they're not used that often.

awsan

Apr 22, 2015
I will get flamed for this, but people if you are on XDA then there is a huge chance you are into moding and rom changing and stuff.

I do the following when I get a new phone, if its already a few weeks after its release I get the latest ROM either a fastboot or a recovery rom and just flash it once over the factory ROM.

and it paid off as I never had these kind of issues with OP devices.

Won't say its not oneplus's fault but you can save your self the headache and always clean install a new rom when ever you are facing these issues as 99% of the time its just that or the unlucky 1% of a hardware issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: tathagatab

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the device since 3 weeks now and none overheating issues for me.
    Well I guess I got lucky or more than likely y'all didn't. The voices of complaint are the loudest and fewer. There are probably many more users experiencing no problems and therefore not saying anything. I have owned a 9pro since day 1. It's in a case and I live in a hot area. Not once have I experienced an overheating warning and the only time i notice that the back of the case is even warm is when i'm wirelessly charging on a cheap wireless charger I own in my vehicle. I can be plugged in charging with official cable and the fast charge brick AND be gaming for 2 hours and it's barely warm at 39C. Max refresh/resolution. Everything cranked. Sorry y'all had issues but I don't think it's fair to say "There is an issue of overheating with op9pro. No 2 ways about it."
    The heating is for real. No 2 ways abt it. So tell me oneplus would release 8 updates in 2 months. Deniabilty doest mean issue is not there.
    With 8.8 update most apps have been optimized. Why??.
    To take u further brightness threshold you has been lowered, charging speed has been optimized, cpu hacks et all. So a 1000 dollar phone to be used as a 500 dollar phone.
    Well I guess I got lucky or more than likely y'all didn't. The voices of complaint are the loudest and fewer. There are probably many more users experiencing no problems and therefore not saying anything. I have owned a 9pro since day 1. It's in a case and I live in a hot area. Not once have I experienced an overheating warning and the only time i notice that the back of the case is even warm is when i'm wirelessly charging on a cheap wireless charger I own in my vehicle. I can be plugged in charging with official cable and the fast charge brick AND be gaming for 2 hours and it's barely warm at 39C. Max refresh/resolution. Everything cranked. Sorry y'all had issues but I don't think it's fair to say "There is an issue of overheating with op9pro. No 2 ways about it."
    If u do not understand things then pls dont make comments such as cheap wireless et all. Even oneplus has given a statement that fix for heating. So I do not understand it can be normal for u. 2nd ambient temperatures effects only 5%. This is why even in cold countries heating happens. Unfortunately there is no fix for this since it's a hardware issue wrt sd888 and 660 gpu.
    So, came back to OnePlus from my Samsung S20+ after a long year of stock. My conclusion after returning to a new handset the OnePlus 9 Pro. At first I was in awe of it's beauty and to hold it naked was amazing. But, after some time getting really familiar with the device, things are beginning to go south. As with my previous device,being the op7pro, things got wonky after the device started heating up,(which is fairly easy to do with OnePlus). Noticing major lag as of late with stuttering and other graphic issues that persist with doing minor to moderate loads such as downloading things and browsing the web and evern watching videos. The device just begins heating up out of nowhere. Sure browsing the web is perfect and watching short videos is a pleasure,but, I'm beginning to face short task with heat issues. Also,after a few updates on Play store, device is acting a bit weird. Most apps I have optimized and things are starting to pop up as draining battery when the app hasn't been opened up for weeks. Not sure what is causing this,but, so far, OnePlus is heading down the wrong road lately. I mean, the device is beautiful,but, if it can't perform with simple tasks and keep up,this will be the last device from them I ever own.
    Not complaining, just rather disappointed with their direction. Great,well, they were, until as of late. Hopefully future updates fix it, if not, they'll be losing another one

EDIT:
    So I actually figured out what the issue with my phone was. I was having a kernel issue and quickly got that resolved. So before anyone else gets there panties in a bunch and starts acting like OnePlus is a cult, relax..... It was an issue I faced for messing with things. Everything has been stable with Omegas latest kernel. Rant over.
    I have the device since 3 weeks now and none overheating issues for me.
    Want some cheese to go with that?
    Sure why not. Since lucky you man u got a perfect phone and I did not. So happy for you. Cheers