Finally Galaxy tab S will receive Marshmallow.

Search This thread

gadzooks64

Dec 20, 2010
I was SHOCKED to hear my custom Hangouts notification go off on my tablet when I could see I had no new conversations going on via my desktop. Wandered over to see what was up with my tablet when I see the notification for the update!?!?!?!?

OMG I was sure we were never going to get another update on the Tab S.

And now I not-so-patiently wait for my 268 apps to optimize.

This will have all be worth it if only for the fix to the stupid touch lights. I want those bad boys off all the time.

Reactions: splat10

GoldExperience

Nov 9, 2015
Brazil
So I have a question about default application selection.
On lollipop when I play a video I get to choose the player that I want to use and if I want it to make that player the default player for all videos, if I choose no I would get to choose the video player app everytime I wanted to watch a video.

Now on MM it doesn't give me that choice, it automatically stick the last player that I use for video as a default... and I have to go to settings>application and remove the default from whatever video player app was assigned.
Is there a way to deactivate this?

I use different video apps sometime I stream to chromecast using allcast sometimes I watch it on the tablet using mx player or vlc player...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sadly this is the default behavior for all Samsung devices running Marshmallow.
I saw a lot of people complaining about this, take this article for example: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/07/things-i-hate-about-the-galaxy-s7/

As a workaround you could try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appiator.defaultappmanager&hl=en

Not the best solution but better than nothing.

Edit: Here's another option https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith&hl=en

Last edited:

DKM119

Aug 22, 2009
gritosmetaleros.blogspot.com
Sadly this is the default behavior for all Samsung devices running Marshmallow.
I saw a lot of people complaining about this, take this article for example: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/07/things-i-hate-about-the-galaxy-s7/

As a workaround you could try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appiator.defaultappmanager&hl=en

Not the best solution but better than nothing.

Edit: Here's another option https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith&hl=en

I've been using "better open with" since last night, that did the trick.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

DaWeav

Sep 8, 2009
Five new versions ...PHB vice ...PH7 of the SM-T800 are up on Samsung Updates this morning. Still no U.S. (XAR) version.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

warriorking

Sep 7, 2013
Charleston WV
So glad we are finally getting MM..
Just a bit of a bummer that we in the States are one of the last to get it..
Oh well.. It will come eventually..

Last edited:

mrbears

Jun 30, 2010
I was SHOCKED to hear my custom Hangouts notification go off on my tablet when I could see I had no new conversations going on via my desktop. Wandered over to see what was up with my tablet when I see the notification for the update!?!?!?!?

OMG I was sure we were never going to get another update on the Tab S.

And now I not-so-patiently wait for my 268 apps to optimize.

This will have all be worth it if only for the fix to the stupid touch lights. I want those bad boys off all the time.

Can you confirm you got marshmallow stock update from Samsung in the U.S. for Galaxy Tab S 10.5?
If so, this is the news we have all been waiting for. Are you wifi model or LTE model?

Thanks for sharing and do let us know how your experience is with updated system.

P.S. How long did the update take?

gadzooks64

Dec 20, 2010
Can you confirm you got marshmallow stock update from Samsung in the U.S. for Galaxy Tab S 10.5?
If so, this is the news we have all been waiting for. Are you wifi model or LTE model?

Thanks for sharing and do let us know how your experience is with updated system.

P.S. How long did the update take?
Stock update on the Tab S 8.4 not the 10. Yes, in the USA. WiFi model.

So far so good. Seems zippier. Best part, more storage left after the update. Gained less than a gig but every but helps.

Thrilled that my phone, S7E, and tablet are on the same version of Android!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

nasher123

May 9, 2011
Flashed the Swiss 6.0.1 rom from Sammobile, won't boot, samsung logo with series of vibrations like 1.... 1 2 3....... then repeats.

Tried reflashing a few times, can't seem to get into recovery but can get into download mode for odin, any ideas?

Had a search but didn't find anything.

T700 8.4 wifi, latest odin, but tried with older version, swiss 6.0.1 rom.

deniz1905

Apr 25, 2012
Flashed the Swiss 6.0.1 rom from Sammobile, won't boot, samsung logo with series of vibrations like 1.... 1 2 3....... then repeats.

Tried reflashing a few times, can't seem to get into recovery but can get into download mode for odin, any ideas?

Had a search but didn't find anything.

T700 8.4 wifi, latest odin, but tried with older version, swiss 6.0.1 rom.

you need to wipe cache. to enter recovery you should press vol down + home + power button in samsung logo screen then once you see black screen change to volume up button without releasing other fingers until you get into recovery mode. so you can able to wipe cache to pass samsung logo. but remember first boot lasts 10-12 mins, be patient. Good luck and let me know.

Reactions: nasher123

grahamu

May 3, 2007
When NOT logged in to this site, I see "Galaxy button lights" ...the word "Galaxy" is highlighted like a link to the app you talking about. Clicking it takes you to verizionwireless.com and is on a sale page for a S5.

Is this intended? Or did this page get hijacked? I'm concerned for security reasons.

Is this xda website safe?
Now that I'm logged in, the word "Galaxy" is not highlighted.

I just typed plain text. The app is in the play store (free).

Akopps

Jan 19, 2015
My Nexus 5X phone is nagging me that Android 7 OTA is now available. On the other hand, the Tab S still hasn't gotten the official 6.x OTA. And Samsung still wants people to buy its hardware after this?

ThePigletWhisperer

Sep 24, 2007
Guys, has anyone successfully enabled the navigation bar on official TW MM without having overlay issues?
I tried a bunch of apps that edit build.prop and most of them don't work.
The few that do work, eventually are rendered useless since they trigger the overlay issue.
I prefer holding my t805 in portait mode, so it makes more sense to disable the capacitive buttons and enable the soft bar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/89326/T805XXU1CPH5_T805OXA1CPH6_DBT/

6.0.1 firmware for Chagalllte ala sm-t805, I'll be working to get cm-13.0 up and running properly now that we have this release.

I'll stick to my tab S just for the 16:10 aspect ratio alone. Does anyone actually do work on a tab s2? A 4:3 ratio is terrible for media consumption.

The progress of the Tab S series is slow. But I can't totally blame "the greedy Samsung" for it. It is a common knowledge by now that the tablet market has pretty much collapsed. The demand is weak, and the sales are not very high. As a result, we see very little activity in the tablet space. The Apple hardware is certainly very good, but you pay 500-800USD for their premium tablet, while the big-screen Android tablet prices start under 400USD. A whole lot of companies update their tablets every couple of years. For example, the Nvidia tablet is basically the same shield tablet they presented in 2014. There is no new replacement for the 2014 Nexus 9. Samsung on the other hand does update its Tab S tablets every summer, but the updates are sorta-kinda "lukewarm". The screen, the design, and the build are good, while the internal specs are somewhat poor.

Yes. They were awesome when they were first starting out. The galaxy note 10.1 tablets were great and the 12.2 tablet was nice too. They had the first smooth SOC's out there for Android. The transformer pro and others were sluggish and had dumb engineering errors like cripplingly slow emmc.

But now that they've seen what sales are like, they've cancelled like half their models. The note line was merged with the Tab A and isn't called note anymore. The note 12.2 successor is nowhere to be found. They also never spent much on R&D, using the exact SOC from their phones; even phones that were 1 generation old. Apple uses more higher end product still in their ipads versus their iphone.

Why do you figure the tablet market is falling off? Maybe people are starting to adopt the 2 in 1 laptops with 10-12" screens? Maybe they're tired of Android and not one really 100% working web browser? Maybe buggy versions of Android that the manufacturer's have introduced with their ROMs and bloatware?

Just trying to figure it out cause it DOES seem to be declining to me too...I've no stats to quote but it just doesn't feel good when no one seems to be coming up with the next better than ever version.

Because 95% of people who buy tablets don't use them to do anything useful or demanding. They use them to watch youtube videos and play hearthstone. You don't need a new tablet to do that. You can simply buy even an older ipad 2 and get what you need. All of us mostly have no reason to upgrade from a tab S. It has AC wifi that can stream 20mbps 1080p MKV's and the power to decode them. That's literally the most demanding thing I ask the tablet to do and it does the job fine. It also has better battery life and a more useful aspect ratio than the S2.

Those specs get rumored for some months now but they are nonsense. Those are the specs of the 2016 refresh of the Tab S2, which is out for weeks already. That a lot of sites still publish that nonsense is just proof of how little the media cares about tablets and the general quality of tech journalism.

I hope this is true, but if and when Marshmallow comes out it won't matter. My note 4 was getting a little sluggish but after Marshmallow it's smooth as silk. I'm hoping for the same for the tab S.
    Just waiting for the next article: "Galaxy Tab S won't receive Marshmallow after all".

Anyway, if we get a stable Nougat rom I will never use Touchwiz on my tab again. Split screen ftw.
    they say it will now http://www.sammobile.com/2016/08/22...e-original-galaxy-tab-s-will-get-marshmallow/

until tomorrow when they say that was a mistake
    And that sh.t Knox to be pass

I am not sure in what way the Knox system prevents you from doing anything to your device. The Knox does not prevent you from rooting the device, installing TWRP, or from flashing roms. Samsung often calls Knox the "warranty bit", but that's a bull name that has no legal meaning.