Finally Garmin for Android!

Search This thread

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
I used to love having Garmin on my phone but we have to face the facts here...Garmin has decided to be a HARDWARE company with proprietary software to put on that hardware and are not interested in selling that software and hurt those device sales....
If Garmin was really interested in getting our money they would have released this software AGES ago!...
My guess is they don't like the hackable nature of Android and are still stinging from all the pirating that happened to them when they released Garmin for WinMo!
Oh I agree completely, but the fact remains many of us invested quite a bit of time making our own maps, which we prefer to use if at all possible most of the time for many reasons, and that was only made possible by Garmin, ever. Also, remember please that the main reason for ALL of this has ALWAYS been the same: Big cartography companies ONLY make maps for RICH countries that can pay hundreds of millions in revenue. So, that has always left only GARMIN as a viable choice for GPS mapping in the vast majority of the planet. For example, my own situation, if the company that had the Garmin distribution here in the Dominican Republic had not decided to come to an additional agreement with NDrive so that they could also sell their local maps to a distributor of Android platform based solutions, I would have been stuck forever with GARMIN based mapping solutions as my only possible recourse. There is no Tom Tom, Navigon, Sygic, or anything like that for a small little country like mine and neither is there any other solution for any of the other countries in my region that are not still considered to be ultra-maritime territories of their rich European original colonizers. Thank God that wasn´t the case for my country and I finally had an additional choice! But, if you live in ANY south Asia country without a G20 Status, or anywhere in the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, most of Latin America, Greenland, Iceland, any Polynesian or Micronesian nation or in any Caribbean island, you will most likely STILL be left with only Garmin as a potential GPS mapping even solution for the foreseeable future. And please remember these are also the areas in which cellular, or mobile service is NOT granted with data plans included at no cost, not gprs and much, much less 3G, so there is only a little percentage of the population that could make use of free services like Google or Waze. Me? Personally I´ve given up on Garmin quite a while ago for the most part, my daily driver for my hometown is actually NDrive, which if anyone else cares for a recommendation works absolutely fine. Cheers! :cool:

15qz22w.jpg

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Oh I agree completely, but the fact remains many of us invested quite a bit of time making our own maps, which we prefer to use if at all possible most of the time for many reasons, and that was only made possible by Garmin, ever. Me? Personally I´ve given up on them quite a while ago, my daily driver for my hometown is actually NDrive, which if anyone else cares for a recommendation works absolutely fine. Cheers! :cool:

Oh I Understand and I understand why people keep looking for a way to use it. Just trying to point out unless you have a VERY compelling reason to need to use Garmin Maps there are MUCH BETTER options out there that for 99% of users do a much better job and give a much better experience than these UnOfficial hacked versions do.

I Hate the fact they have decided to stay off the Android System...But if they really don't want my money then I am happy to give it to someone who does and supports me with more features than what I had 8 years ago! LOL

Last edited:

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
Rumour has it.
Garmin had a contract to not sell android street pilot software
I can't remember if it was with Asus or Acer...
But that deal has expired now, so there is a chance it will happen.
But by the time they do they will be replaced.

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
...unless you have a VERY compelling reason to need to use Garmin Maps there are MUCH BETTER options out there that for 99% of users do a much better job and give a much better experience than these UnOfficial hacked versions do...

...remember please that the main reason for ALL of this has ALWAYS been the same: Big cartography companies ONLY make maps for RICH countries that can pay hundreds of millions in revenue. So, that has always left only GARMIN as a viable choice for GPS mapping in the vast majority of the planet. For example, my own situation, if the company that had the Garmin distribution here in the Dominican Republic had not decided to come to an additional agreement with NDrive so that they could also sell their local maps to a distributor of Android platform based solutions, I would have been stuck forever with GARMIN based mapping solutions as my only possible recourse. There is no Tom Tom, Navigon, Sygic, or anything like that for a small little country like mine and neither is there any other solution for any of the other countries in my region that are not still considered to be ultra-maritime territories of their rich European original colonizers. Thank God that wasn´t the case for my country and I finally had an additional choice! But, if you live in ANY south Asia country without a G20 Status, or anywhere in the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, most of Latin America, Greenland, Iceland, any Polynesian or Micronesian nation or in any Caribbean island, you will most likely STILL be left with only Garmin as a potential GPS mapping even solution for the foreseeable future. And please remember these are also the areas in which cellular, or mobile service is NOT granted with data plans included at no cost, not gprs and much, much less 3G, so there is only a little percentage of the population that could make use of free services like Google or Waze...

:cowboy::cool::good:

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
You can always start supporting open street maps.
They are pretty bad in many locations, but honestly as far as I am concerned they are the future of quality free maps online and offline.
I support them as often as I can.

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
You can always start supporting open street maps.
They are pretty bad in many locations, but honestly as far as I am concerned they are the future of quality free maps online and offline.
I support them as often as I can.
Again, the issue would be to find a good, free offline navigation app that accepted OpenStreetMaps and had routing, address search and a 3D view while having a good and beautiful interface and map view. All of this WITHOUT the need to convert the map to Garmin IMG format beforehand, which would of course end up being what you were trying to avoid in the first place and thus make the whole circular exercise oddly redundant, hehehe :cyclops::good:

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
Again, the issue would be to find a good, free offline navigation app that accepted OpenStreetMaps and had routing, address search and a 3D view while having a good and beautiful interface and map view. All of this WITHOUT the need to convert the map to Garmin IMG format beforehand, which would of course end up being what you were trying to avoid in the first place and thus make the whole circular exercise oddly redundant, hehehe :cyclops::good:

You can check out osmand
No 3d however.. unless you count hill shading.
Not free but, sygic is also very good it has 3D and works offline world wide free maps

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
You can check out osmand
No 3d however.. unless you count hill shading.
Not free but, sygic is also very good it has 3D and works offline world wide free maps
:laugh: Again, no idea why they all say "Worldwide Maps" when they never include even half of the world, my country of course being a prime example. Sygic uses TomTom maps, for which most poor or little countries have none ;) OSMand will do in a pinch, I guess, as long as there isn´t anything else available since it will always, of course, be better than nothing at all... but seriously now, have you seen many apps that look more of a mess than that one´s interface, or that are even remotely as ugly? lol :p

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
You can always buy a phone that Garmin supports mapping on (Windows phone and Iphone). that is always an option. But if you want free...
And to use it on a open source platform like android, you going to have to do lots of work or just use an older device with older android and get the hacked Garmin.
or shell out the money for a new Garmin android phone/GPS device.

That's the choices we are stuck with.

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
You can always buy a phone that Garmin supports mapping on (Windows phone and Iphone). that is always an option. But if you want free...
And to use it on a open source platform like android, you going to have to do lots of work or just use an older device with older android and get the hacked Garmin.
or shell out the money for a new Garmin android phone/GPS device.

That's the choices we are stuck with.
LOL look up a few posts before... I already shelled out like you said the money for NDrive 11, I´m covered. I mentioned free because we were discussing the FREE OpenStreetMaps project maps, I´ll be damned if anyone makes me pay for an app to use OSM maps since it kinda kills the whole sense of the community fueled project that OSM is in the first place. I´ve always been more than willing to pay for whatever Garmin wants to charge me to use Garmin on Android, they´ve just never giving me an option other than to buy a whole phone by Asus. Incidentally, though, I would LOVE to get my grubby mitts on one of those Asus Padfone Infinity 2 Phone/Tablet A86 combos with the Snapdragon 800 Chipset now that they have FINALLY added all four normal 3G/HSDPA bands instead of only 900/1900 like they have always done in the past and even some 4G/LTE bands. Not only do they include fully functioning Garmin Streetpilot by default, but also the whole slip your phone into the back of your ten inch tablet has always seemed incredibly appealing to me. If only I had US$1,175.00 Dollars to "shell out" for such an indulgence, though... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dude000143

Mar 6, 2012
Xperia Latest Update with a Garmin Bundles

Hello Guys,

I've just updated my Xperia Z2 from kitkat to lollipop and found out that Garmin App is now present from my built in Apps.
My phone is not yet rooted so for sure I can't extract the bundles for this garmin thing....

There's a Little bit disappointment with this app due to lack of maps updates...
:cyclops:

bredzy

May 1, 2009
Dowload Garmin Navigation App

Can anyone share this apk?
can't seem to find an authentic. One.

bredzy

May 1, 2009
Dowload Garmin Navigation App

Wow. So is there any other fee app which will allow me to utilize a routable img map? For android 4.2

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
For offline maps Garmin is still pretty darn good.
Neck and neck with Garmin is osmand+ maps
( open source and found on play store and fdroid)
Orux maps is another fantastic map app

Garmin is pretty idiot proof however
Other maps apps may require a bit of brain activity

I think you can find Garmin on "gps underground"
I forget...
If that is wrong I'll look around

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Forget Garmin....
Just get CoPilot for Android which also has Offline Maps every bit as good as garmin and live traffic update as well if you want it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just heard that Asus had just collaborated with Garmin and produced an Asus-Garmin phone which runs on Android Eclair.

Here's the link : http://techcentral.my/gadgetsandapp...reviews/20101109104759&sec=it_gadgets_reviews

So anyone into ROM dump? However I don't think it's legal..... hmmmmm... :confused:

-

Update 03/03/2011

Ok so it seems that this is still ongoing and I saw several members post a request to get specific files in order to extract the app out and make it compatible with other android devices.

And here's an elaboration from ajape.

The actual problem is that there are two version of this program, and the one that can be downloaded from the link provided in the last page is NOT the one we need. After all, all this is about having access to our Garmin maps WITHOUT having to have a full time internet or 3G connection, otherwise why even bother with anything beyond google maps?

Anyways, I digress, there are two versions of this program: Garmap Online and Garmap Onboard. The one we all need is Garmpa Onboard for android, that's the version that reads your maps from a folder in your SD card, the one in the link posted in this thread is not... well, completely useless I guess, but it's still a far, far thing from what we're all trying to achieve here, which is to access our Garmin maps in our Android phones.

Anyways, here's the info about Garmap Onboard app that we need:

Description:

Garmap for Mobile Onboard has no reliance on network coverage, making life simpler and more convenient.

With Onboard navigation users enjoy:
    - Turn-by-turn voice prompts
    - 2D/3D city map views
    - POI dialing
    - FREE safety camera alerts
    - Preloaded maps
    - Optimal itinerary planning with waypoints
    - Network independent allowing easy travel across borders

www.garmapmobile.co.za/onboard

What’s New

***ADVANCED LANE ASSSIST***

Garmap’s advanced lane assist pop up will help you navigate those complicated intersections by indicating which lane to use. Never miss an off-ramp again!

***ADVANCED ROUTE PLANNING***

Plan your route using Garmap’s advanced ‘Itinerary’ option and optimse your route to save time and fuel.

Guys, I may not visit this thread frequent, but I do visit XDA often. So should there be any updates which you want me to post here, kindly PM and I would be more than happy to update the current progress.
    Thanks for your encouraging report.

Which version of Navitel did you use?
    That's version 3.5, it was a repost from when I originally posted this report on this same thread a while ago. But 3.5 doesn't work on GB (Don't know about ICS, but I should think not as well), you need version 5.0.x or better now, and beware that some of the versions don't accept maps in nm2 format anymore, while some do. I think it's 5.0.1.169 (full version apk, mind) or something like that which you want. This is because anyone can convert any IMG format Garmin map to nm2 very easily just using GPSMapedit, while this is not the case with the new Navitel format nm3. Please remember to convert tiles or maps that leave you with an nm2 map file no larger than 16MB, that's a very common error. Ah! And also, the NavitelContent folder on the root of your SD Card must not have more than 61 nm2 maps at the time, otherwise NAVITEL will give you an error when trying to create it's Map Atlas. And don't worry, Navitel will make Navigation seamless even if your maps are cut differently for conversion purposes than they were originally cut by Garmin. Also, converting NT maps to nm2 may give you an error citing routing issues, if this is the case then you can also repair the routing errors manually and it will be fine, although I personally never actually managed to learn how exactly to go about those repairs in GPSMapedit. But I understand it's not rocket science either, so don't worry and go for it! :)
    Screenshot

Screenshot
    probably one or more of these files...

com.garmin.android.apps.subscription.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.coordinates.apk
    GarminLocate.apk
    GarminService.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.converter.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.safetycameras.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.weather.apk
    GarminOnlineProvider.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.city.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.localsearch.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.poi.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.location.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.upcomingevents.apk
    GarminGarage.apk
    Guys, finally? :good:
    forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=652&t=427093
    Garmin StreetPilot for Android v1.49
    It´s been a while since Garmin has been available for Android already, it´s just really complicated to get it to work properly. Over three days in my case, although it was definitely worth it. Now it´s up to version 2.16, up from the 1.49 you mentioned::

25q5154.jpg

The whole super complicated process and all pertinent files can be found here, note that you have to register in this board also to have full access. Good Luck! You´ll most likely need it, hehehe ;) :good:

Install Garmin Street Pilot v.2.16 Android 4.1.2 Detailed Instructions&Pics

NOTE:
    This works only on 4.11 and 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
    This doesn't work on Android 4.0.x or Android 4.2.x
    NOT SUPPORTED and NOT Working on:
    -NVIDIA Tegra 3
    -MediaTek MT6575
    -MediaTek MT6577
    -MediaTek MT6589