Finally Garmin for Android!

Search This thread

rootok

Nov 30, 2009
Instructions: (worked for me)

1. Have two micro SD cards
2. On one put the same update file that is already on your phone.
2. On the other put the new firmware you want to update to.
3. With phone off practise taking phone cover off/on and removing SD card.
4. Turn phone on with SD card that had existing firmware update on. Update notice will show and ask if you want to update - say yes, then it should say update is the same as already on your phone do you still want to update, don't accept or decline. Now quickly pull off cover and exchange SD cards and put cover back on. You may get a message about battery cover - go ok. Then the same 'do you want to update' message should appear - go ok.(you may need to pull down the yellow exclamation from the top to accept the update if the window does not show) Be patient and wait your screen will show 'verifing' then reboot and could be a black screen for 10-15 minutes. When up and running you should do a master clear as your old settings/apps will still be on phone.

mermigas

Mar 16, 2009
Succesfully installed on my Galaxy S running unofficial CM 10.1 Android 4.2.1 !!!!!

Three major problems
1- Unable to find GPS signal
2- Everytime I start the application my previous settings are gone
3- After reboot I have to start again with the Lib files

No:1 is a Major problem
Any solution or suggestion?

m4rc3l1n0

Mar 21, 2008
anybody tried this on a htc hd2?
i tried and the screen is jibberish (resolution to big?)
i tried all of the libraries with the .so extension and still no luck
:(

czguy

Jul 21, 2008
Toronto
Garmin StreetPilot works on HTC Sensation

If anyone is interested, I would like to confirm working Garmin StreetPilot v.2.16 on HTC Sensation. I've tested it with Android 4.0.4 and now with Android 4.1.1 as my daily driver.
I've got junction view and 3D buildings working, audio directions with street names work as well.
Any unlocked Garmin maps work, I've got North America, Europe and Asia loaded for my frequent travels. My 64GB mSD card is invaluable.
Garmin is so much better in routing and available maps especially for Asia are much more detailed than Sygic I had to use until recently.
Only major issue with this unofficial version of StreetPilot I have is that turning phone from portrait to landscape causes StreetPilot to lock-up. Minor issue is that one needs to turn the volume up at the start up of StreetPilot as the volume is always muted initially. Other than that everything works perfectly as it does on my standalone Garmin GPS device. Hopefully, rest of bugs will be worked out soon.
I really don't get it why Garmin does not offer StreetPilot officially... They are loosing so much business in my mind as for me I'll never buy another standalone GPS unit for my car once my aging Nuvi unit dies...

Last edited:
Reactions: nggies

SilverSpear7

Apr 22, 2009
Hey guys, just a question, anyone tried to install Garmin on Android 4.3? I have a Note 3 and would love to use Garmin whenever needed on that awesome big screen.

Appreciate your input.

Gtecnostyle

Account currently disabled
Mar 8, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
garmin maps are very important beacuse they work only with gps ..
I just heard that Asus had just collaborated with Garmin and produced an Asus-Garmin phone which runs on Android Eclair.

Here's the link : http://techcentral.my/gadgetsandapp...reviews/20101109104759&sec=it_gadgets_reviews

So anyone into ROM dump? However I don't think it's legal..... hmmmmm... :confused:

-

Update 03/03/2011

Ok so it seems that this is still ongoing and I saw several members post a request to get specific files in order to extract the app out and make it compatible with other android devices.

And here's an elaboration from ajape.

Guys, I may not visit this thread frequent, but I do visit XDA often. So should there be any updates which you want me to post here, kindly PM and I would be more than happy to update the current progress.

pimz3001

Jul 1, 2009
Guys, finally? :good:

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=652&t=427093

Garmin StreetPilot for Android v1.49

ajape

Mar 24, 2009
Santo Domingo
It´s been a while since Garmin has been available for Android already, it´s just really complicated to get it to work properly. Over three days in my case, although it was definitely worth it. Now it´s up to version 2.16, up from the 1.49 you mentioned::

25q5154.jpg

The whole super complicated process and all pertinent files can be found here, note that you have to register in this board also to have full access. Good Luck! You´ll most likely need it, hehehe ;) :good:

Install Garmin Street Pilot v.2.16 Android 4.1.2 Detailed Instructions&Pics

NOTE:
This works only on 4.11 and 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
This doesn't work on Android 4.0.x or Android 4.2.x
NOT SUPPORTED and NOT Working on:
-NVIDIA Tegra 3
-MediaTek MT6575
-MediaTek MT6577
-MediaTek MT6589

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Won't work for anyone on 4.2 and most new Android devices will ship with 4.4

I used to love having Garmin on my phone but we have to face the facts here...Garmin has decided to be a HARDWARE company with proprietary software to put on that hardware and are not interested in selling that software and hurt those device sales.

Anyone wanting a a good Nav Software for Android with Offline maps should just look into Co-Pilot which I have found is as good as Garmin and will be a breeze to update maps and use on MULTIPLE devices such as Phone and Tablet for a single purchase!

If Garmin was really interested in getting our money they would have released this software AGES ago!

My guess is they don't like the hackable nature of Android and are still stinging from all the pirating that happened to them when they released Garmin for WinMo!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just heard that Asus had just collaborated with Garmin and produced an Asus-Garmin phone which runs on Android Eclair.

Here's the link : http://techcentral.my/gadgetsandapp...reviews/20101109104759&sec=it_gadgets_reviews

So anyone into ROM dump? However I don't think it's legal..... hmmmmm... :confused:

-

Update 03/03/2011

Ok so it seems that this is still ongoing and I saw several members post a request to get specific files in order to extract the app out and make it compatible with other android devices.

And here's an elaboration from ajape.

The actual problem is that there are two version of this program, and the one that can be downloaded from the link provided in the last page is NOT the one we need. After all, all this is about having access to our Garmin maps WITHOUT having to have a full time internet or 3G connection, otherwise why even bother with anything beyond google maps?

Anyways, I digress, there are two versions of this program: Garmap Online and Garmap Onboard. The one we all need is Garmpa Onboard for android, that's the version that reads your maps from a folder in your SD card, the one in the link posted in this thread is not... well, completely useless I guess, but it's still a far, far thing from what we're all trying to achieve here, which is to access our Garmin maps in our Android phones.

Anyways, here's the info about Garmap Onboard app that we need:

Description:

Garmap for Mobile Onboard has no reliance on network coverage, making life simpler and more convenient.

With Onboard navigation users enjoy:
    - Turn-by-turn voice prompts
    - 2D/3D city map views
    - POI dialing
    - FREE safety camera alerts
    - Preloaded maps
    - Optimal itinerary planning with waypoints
    - Network independent allowing easy travel across borders

www.garmapmobile.co.za/onboard

What’s New

***ADVANCED LANE ASSSIST***

Garmap’s advanced lane assist pop up will help you navigate those complicated intersections by indicating which lane to use. Never miss an off-ramp again!

***ADVANCED ROUTE PLANNING***

Plan your route using Garmap’s advanced ‘Itinerary’ option and optimse your route to save time and fuel.

Guys, I may not visit this thread frequent, but I do visit XDA often. So should there be any updates which you want me to post here, kindly PM and I would be more than happy to update the current progress.
    Thanks for your encouraging report.

Which version of Navitel did you use?
    That's version 3.5, it was a repost from when I originally posted this report on this same thread a while ago. But 3.5 doesn't work on GB (Don't know about ICS, but I should think not as well), you need version 5.0.x or better now, and beware that some of the versions don't accept maps in nm2 format anymore, while some do. I think it's 5.0.1.169 (full version apk, mind) or something like that which you want. This is because anyone can convert any IMG format Garmin map to nm2 very easily just using GPSMapedit, while this is not the case with the new Navitel format nm3. Please remember to convert tiles or maps that leave you with an nm2 map file no larger than 16MB, that's a very common error. Ah! And also, the NavitelContent folder on the root of your SD Card must not have more than 61 nm2 maps at the time, otherwise NAVITEL will give you an error when trying to create it's Map Atlas. And don't worry, Navitel will make Navigation seamless even if your maps are cut differently for conversion purposes than they were originally cut by Garmin. Also, converting NT maps to nm2 may give you an error citing routing issues, if this is the case then you can also repair the routing errors manually and it will be fine, although I personally never actually managed to learn how exactly to go about those repairs in GPSMapedit. But I understand it's not rocket science either, so don't worry and go for it! :)
    Screenshot

Screenshot
    probably one or more of these files...

com.garmin.android.apps.subscription.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.coordinates.apk
    GarminLocate.apk
    GarminService.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.converter.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.safetycameras.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.weather.apk
    GarminOnlineProvider.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.city.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.localsearch.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.poi.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.location.apk
    com.garmin.android.apps.search.upcomingevents.apk
    GarminGarage.apk
    It´s been a while since Garmin has been available for Android already, it´s just really complicated to get it to work properly. Over three days in my case, although it was definitely worth it. Now it´s up to version 2.16, up from the 1.49 you mentioned::

25q5154.jpg

The whole super complicated process and all pertinent files can be found here, note that you have to register in this board also to have full access. Good Luck! You´ll most likely need it, hehehe ;) :good:

Install Garmin Street Pilot v.2.16 Android 4.1.2 Detailed Instructions&Pics

NOTE:
    This works only on 4.11 and 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
    This doesn't work on Android 4.0.x or Android 4.2.x
    NOT SUPPORTED and NOT Working on:
    -NVIDIA Tegra 3
    -MediaTek MT6575
    -MediaTek MT6577
    -MediaTek MT6589