• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Finally got my phone. Dull colors? (edit it's fixed)

Search This thread

schn1tt3r

May 11, 2013
I bought my phone in USA and had it shipped overseas. I finally got it and, compared to my OnePlus 7 Pro, the screen colors seem very dull. Is this normal? If I put "cinema" option it is even worse (very yellow). Is the screen supposed to be "natural colors" like the photos it takes? I do want photos natural colors, but would like the screen to be vivid.

Also, is there a way to uninstall the 4 GB of games it comes preinstalled with? What a terrible decision if you can't remove it (without root).

Edit. I am not 100% sure on this, but using the phone a few days seem to have made the screen colors way better. Nos the colors do look vivid in the standard mode.

EDIT 2 I pulled out the OnePlus 7 pro that initially had better more vivid colors to me, and now the Sony is way eat better. I don't know if it was the updates the phone had, or if j was comparing Sony cinema vs OnePlus vivid before. Loving the phone screen now.

Last edited:

dr.mccoy

Aug 25, 2021
Colours look fantastic and accurate to me, most phones have quite an unrealistic vibrance to the screens. Not sure on how you'd go about increasing it without root.

You can change the white balance under display settings, that would fix the yellow tinge.

MrZippo

Oct 28, 2008
London
At first I felt it lacked the vibrant pop that I was used to from other manufacturers.
But I set it to creator mode and started to get used to the accurate colours and really appreciate it now. Just stick with it, you will soon get used to it.

Also I got no idea how to get rid of the games. I just disabled them.

decomposed

Feb 21, 2011
Wrocław, Poland
Sony Xperia 1 III
In past xperia devices also had "vivid mode" in screen settings.

But since sony is obsessed with feature and function removal they decided to remove this as well :/

Software wise xperias are complete misunderstanding.

I bet there is someone sitting, going through the code and wondering what else he can remove / cut off...

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I bought my phone in USA and had it shipped overseas. I finally got it and, compared to my OnePlus 7 Pro, the screen colors seem very dull. Is this normal? If I put "cinema" option it is even worse (very yellow). Is the screen supposed to be "natural colors" like the photos it takes? I do want photos natural colors, but would like the screen to be vivid.

Also, is there a way to uninstall the 4 GB of games it comes preinstalled with? What a terrible decision if you can't remove it (without root).
You can uninstall all the games using ADB. If you don't know how to use it then you can read up on it over at XDA. But even when you do "uninstall" them they are NOT really uninstalled. They are only uninstalled for you, the primary user identified in ADB as user 0 (zero) and if you were to do a factory reset they would just show up again. The only way to truly uninstall them requires root. They do not take up any storage of consequence and disabling them accomplishes basically the same thing as ADB does.

Reactions: schn1tt3r

schn1tt3r

May 11, 2013
You can uninstall all the games using ADB. If you don't know how to use it then you can read up on it over at XDA. But even when you do "uninstall" them they are NOT really uninstalled. They are only uninstalled for you, the primary user identified in ADB as user 0 (zero) and if you were to do a factory reset they would just show up again. The only way to truly uninstall them requires root. They do not take up any storage of consequence and disabling them accomplishes basically the same thing as ADB does.
Yeah, I found the adb shell commands to free up that space.

Also, the colors of the screen seem to have gotten way better after a few days. Does screen "warming" exist or might it be my eyes got used to non ultra vivid colors I had on my OnePlus?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Get a Color chart to check throughput from cam to display. Ambient shooting light color temp will effect results to some degree. Compare display image of chart photograph to the chart in the same light as it was shot. Both the image and the display image colors should look identical if the display is dialed in correctly.

Most displays are oversaturated as previously stated. Reds tend to blowout first. This looks vibrant and very unnatural... I hate it. Look at face flesh tones to help gauge color accuracy.
If face colors look natural on the browser, in photos, the setup is likely close to optimum.

Tattoos may photograph erratically due UV reactive pigments especially in sunlight... this is normal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Colours look fantastic and accurate to me, most phones have quite an unrealistic vibrance to the screens. Not sure on how you'd go about increasing it without root.

You can change the white balance under display settings, that would fix the yellow tinge.
    I also think the colour of the screen is fine. I'm using Creator Mode. Most OLEDs are too saturated for my liking.
    I think Sony must give "Vivid Mode" also...