• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Finally: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices

Search This thread

vincenthnkf

Feb 14, 2015
toronto
99.99% success! I found this method at one of Chinese forum: http://www.wpxap.com/thread-822065-1-1.html

Same idea with RustyGrom’s thread:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3030105

I just did some important translation :

1. Install the Windows Insider app on your phone (you will need to have a store account configured)
2. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777, then a file will be asked for download, accept and run the file to install it. (Why install the file?because the file will change a win8 registry key and set device value to Lumia 636 Hongkong Version , cheating on Microsoft in order to get Win10 technical preview notification)
3. Edit the settings for your phone WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn as IP address and enter 7777 for the port
4. Run the Windows Insider app and tap get preview builds
5. You will see Enroll page with two option: Insider Slow (wont work for most of phones) and Insider Fast, Do NOT join any one of them now,(See the picture below,your Enroll page might be in English)
204527r9t2sj2ax3k4eyfx.png.thumb.jpg

6. Return to your WIFI setting and turn off Proxy (Check your phone's Wifi Proxy setting to make shure it is off, because some phone reconnect Proxy automatically )
7. Go back to windows insider by using Back button of your Winphone, and be aware it is the last time for you to make decision whether or not update Win10. You never know what happen after......... Good luck!

Make sure your phone has at least 275M system free space(main OS partition), not your phone's disk free space.

165653cee4ec6cqc66i3zm.png.thumb.jpg

Last edited:

vincenthnkf

Feb 14, 2015
toronto
BTW, I am using Unlocked BLU Win HD with duel sim supported function. I decided not to update win 10. Even i have seen the update notification page already.

I went through all the 65 pages of Chinese forum, and got some helpful news:

1 DO NOT try it if you DO NOT have a Nokia phone, some people said win10 works on HTC8X, 8XT though (Nokia Apps can even be installed after win10 update on these HTC devices!!!).
Because if something unexpected happen, Microsoft recovery tools may not work for your phone.

2 Make sure your phone is at the latest 8.1 version, or not earlier than 8.10.xxxxx.341.

3 Lowest c: space of successful case is about 275 MB. Lower space can cause 80188308 error

4 When windows insider alerts "error", try to reinstall the file of upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

5 C: space is different even for the same device, all depend on carriers and original device region. Win 10 works on some of Lumia 520, but will not work for the others.

6 Successful case: Lumia 920 Hongkong version and at&t version, Lumia 920T; Lumia 638, Lumia 925 Mainland China version, Lumia 820, Lumia 1520, Lumia 822, Lumia 928, Lumia 620, Lumia 930, Lumia 830, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1020 At&t version, Lumia 625H,Lumia 638, Lumia 920

7 If error c00cee3a/ 80190194 shows up, check and turn off proxy and try again.

8 Failed case: Samsung i8750 , Samsung ativ s, Lumia 530..

Update:
If you downloaded the above online file before 2015-02-15 and want to change your device name back to nornal, you have to reset or reflashing your phone.
If you installed the file after 2015-02-15 and win10 did not come to your phone somehow, you can set WIFI proxy as mentioned before, then go to Windows insider, there is an option "restore, Default, Reset or initialize",some words like that.

Last edited:

Geegeeoh

Feb 3, 2012
Works on HTC 8S.
Downloading update now...

Edit: it fails to install, I guess sys partition too small.

After the reboot, you just have to go look for a normal update into settings, phone update.

Last edited:

Aca902

Mar 4, 2011
Belgrade
Works on HTC 8S.
Downloading update now...

After the reboot, you just have to go look for a normal update into settings, phone update.

I tried, but no luck. Even when i look in windows insider app in about it says Preview builds: Insider Fast, and i have enough free space, but it wont find updateds :(

bencebenedek

Feb 13, 2015
Budapest
Last edited:

JosipoGo

Nov 22, 2011
Sarajevo
Downloading on Lumia 520, very simple method, even no need that phone account be it also insider account.

Is it mandatory that sys partition is at least 300 Mb?

On Lumia 520, sys partition is 200Mb?

Result: Not allowing upgrade, probably issue with sys partition.

Last edited:

selphien

Nov 26, 2009
Cantho
Downloading on Lumia 520, very simple method, even no need that phone account be it also insider account.

The same issue with my 8x, Sys room just around 230MB and it requires more than 275MB to install w10 successfully :3

vinscg

Oct 9, 2011
can we go back to 8.0 - 8.1 ? after ?

i tried my htc 8s with the Microsoft tool and it didnt even find the phone.

vincenthnkf

Feb 14, 2015
toronto
It reboot after all these steps, but there are no updates, any idea? Lumia 925.

One more hint: after reboot , try disable first windows insider preview, then look for normal update. if it does not work, then

According to original Chinese forum, because of so many variety of Lumia version and carriers’ Rom, Win10 update would not be guarantied for all of Lumia 925 .

A few people said there is only 226M space available on Lumia 925 Hongkong Version or 925T, that is why nothing would happen after reboot. disable insider preview and look for normal update.

But Lumia 925 Mainland China version did works with Win10 update!

If you really want a try, go backup and reset the phone before you start. Correction, DO NOT reset your phone, otherwise, your Windows Insider will be crashed! Then You have to reflashing your device!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aca902

vincenthnkf

Feb 14, 2015
toronto

Result: Not allowing upgrade, probably issue with sys partition.

According to original Chinese forum, 300 MB are not mandatory, but it is suggested.

Otherwise, so many people will see 80188308 error after, or will not find any update info.

Reset the phone sometimes will get a larger C: space, if really want to try Win10 but short of space.

JosipoGo

Nov 22, 2011
Sarajevo
According to original Chinese forum, 300 MB are not mandatory, but it is suggested.

Otherwise, so many people will see 80188308 error after, or will not find any update info.

Reset the phone sometimes will get a larger C: space, if really want to try Win10 but short of space.

Successfully download update and extracted but once when upgrade start there is error. I cannot remember is it 80188308 but assuming that sys partition is small.

I'm already perform full reset but sys partition is still around 200 Mb.

vincenthnkf

Feb 14, 2015
toronto
i tried my htc 8s with the Microsoft tool and it didnt even find the phone.

Sorry, Microsoft recovery tool 1.0.4 might only designed for Nokia phone at the moment. Or

Try unplug your phone and click on My phone was not detected
as microsoft suggested and then select your device. or when you plug your phone, push at the same time volume down , camera and power key 10 second, after vibration, release power key

You can try HTC flash software as well. Maybe it works.

I am not a Pro at all, but in the troulesshooting log file below, i do only see: 'www.caresuite.nokia.com'.

Information | ReadLatestAppVersion() END |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000005 | WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.exe | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Framework.IAsyncDelegateCommand | Error | | <!CDATA[[Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Model.Exceptions.AutoUpdateException: Checking for application auto update failed. ---> System.Net.WebException: 未能解析此远程名称: 'www.caresuite.nokia.com'
在 System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
在 System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
在 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.ServiceModel.FiReSoapClient.GetInstallPacketList(String string, Int32 intVal)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.FiReClient.GetInstallPacketList(Int32 applicationId, Int64[]& packetIds)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.RepositoryClient.GetInstallPacketList(Int32 applicationId)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.LumiaAdaptation.Services.FiReService.GetAppVersion(Int32 appId, Boolean useTestServer)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.LumiaAdaptation.Services.FiReService.ReadLatestAppVersion(Int32 appId, String currentVersion, Boolean useTestServer)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Controllers.AppController.IsAvailableAppUpdate()
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Controllers.AppController.CheckForAppUpdate(Object parameter, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- 内部异常堆栈跟踪的结尾 ---
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Controllers.AppController.CheckForAppUpdate(Object parameter, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Framework.AsyncDelegateCommand`1.SafeExecute(T parameter)]]>
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.exe | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.ApplicationLogic.AppBootstrapper | Error | | <!CDATA[[Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Model.Exceptions.AutoUpdateException: Checking for application auto update failed. ---> System.Net.WebException: 未能解析此远程名称: 'www.caresuite.nokia.com'
在 System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
在 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.ServiceModel.FiReSoapClient.GetInstallPacketList(String string, Int32 intVal)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.FiReClient.GetInstallPacketList(Int32 applicationId, Int64[]& packetIds)
在 Nokia.FiRe.Repository.RepositoryClient.GetInstallPacketList(Int32 applicationId)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.LumiaAdaptation.Services.FiReService.GetAppVersion(Int32 appId, Boolean useTestServer)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.LumiaAdaptation.Services.FiReService.ReadLatestAppVersion(Int32 appId, String currentVersion, Boolean useTestServer)
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Controllers.AppController.IsAvailableAppUpdate()
--- 内部异常堆栈跟踪的结尾 ---
在 Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Framework.AsyncDelegateCommand`1.<>c__DisplayClass6.<SafeExecute>b__5()
在 System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
在 MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)]]>
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.dll | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.BaseTypes.BaseState | Information | Getting Next state of AppUpdateCheckingViewModel] (ShellState) |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.dll | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.BaseTypes.BaseState | Information | Conditions are met for StateStatusTransition |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.dll | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.BaseTypes.BaseState | Information | Next state of AppUpdateCheckingViewModel] is ErrorViewModel] |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.dll | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.BaseTypes.BaseState | Information | Stopped state: AppUpdateCheckingViewModel] (ShellState) |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.dll | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.StateMachine.BaseTypes.BaseState | Information | Started state: ErrorViewModel] () |
2015-02-14 05:56:31Z | 9056 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000001 | WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.exe | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.States.Error.ErrorViewModel | Error | | <!CDATA[[Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Model.Exceptions.AutoUpdateException: Checking for application auto update failed. ---> System.Net.WebException: 未能解析此远程名称: 'www.caresuite.nokia.com'

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    99.99% success! I found this method at one of Chinese forum: http://www.wpxap.com/thread-822065-1-1.html

Same idea with RustyGrom’s thread:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3030105

I just did some important translation :

1. Install the Windows Insider app on your phone (you will need to have a store account configured)
    2. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777, then a file will be asked for download, accept and run the file to install it. (Why install the file?because the file will change a win8 registry key and set device value to Lumia 636 Hongkong Version , cheating on Microsoft in order to get Win10 technical preview notification)
    3. Edit the settings for your phone WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn as IP address and enter 7777 for the port
    4. Run the Windows Insider app and tap get preview builds
    5. You will see Enroll page with two option: Insider Slow (wont work for most of phones) and Insider Fast, Do NOT join any one of them now,(See the picture below,your Enroll page might be in English)

6. Return to your WIFI setting and turn off Proxy (Check your phone's Wifi Proxy setting to make shure it is off, because some phone reconnect Proxy automatically )
    7. Go back to windows insider by using Back button of your Winphone, and be aware it is the last time for you to make decision whether or not update Win10. You never know what happen after......... Good luck!

Make sure your phone has at least 275M system free space(main OS partition), not your phone's disk free space.

165653cee4ec6cqc66i3zm.png.thumb.jpg
    BTW, I am using Unlocked BLU Win HD with duel sim supported function. I decided not to update win 10. Even i have seen the update notification page already.

I went through all the 65 pages of Chinese forum, and got some helpful news:

1 DO NOT try it if you DO NOT have a Nokia phone, some people said win10 works on HTC8X, 8XT though (Nokia Apps can even be installed after win10 update on these HTC devices!!!).
    Because if something unexpected happen, Microsoft recovery tools may not work for your phone.

2 Make sure your phone is at the latest 8.1 version, or not earlier than 8.10.xxxxx.341.

3 Lowest c: space of successful case is about 275 MB. Lower space can cause 80188308 error

4 When windows insider alerts "error", try to reinstall the file of upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

5 C: space is different even for the same device, all depend on carriers and original device region. Win 10 works on some of Lumia 520, but will not work for the others.

6 Successful case: Lumia 920 Hongkong version and at&t version, Lumia 920T; Lumia 638, Lumia 925 Mainland China version, Lumia 820, Lumia 1520, Lumia 822, Lumia 928, Lumia 620, Lumia 930, Lumia 830, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1020 At&t version, Lumia 625H,Lumia 638, Lumia 920

7 If error c00cee3a/ 80190194 shows up, check and turn off proxy and try again.

8 Failed case: Samsung i8750 , Samsung ativ s, Lumia 530..

Update:
    If you downloaded the above online file before 2015-02-15 and want to change your device name back to nornal, you have to reset or reflashing your phone.
    If you installed the file after 2015-02-15 and win10 did not come to your phone somehow, you can set WIFI proxy as mentioned before, then go to Windows insider, there is an option "restore, Default, Reset or initialize",some words like that.
    Lumia 820

Works on Lumia 820 with Insider Fast.. (Insider Slow didn't work)

Now downloading the Update :)

Thanks!
    It reboot after all these steps, but there are no updates, any idea? Lumia 925.

One more hint: after reboot , try disable first windows insider preview, then look for normal update. if it does not work, then

According to original Chinese forum, because of so many variety of Lumia version and carriers’ Rom, Win10 update would not be guarantied for all of Lumia 925 .

A few people said there is only 226M space available on Lumia 925 Hongkong Version or 925T, that is why nothing would happen after reboot. disable insider preview and look for normal update.

But Lumia 925 Mainland China version did works with Win10 update!

If you really want a try, go backup and reset the phone before you start. Correction, DO NOT reset your phone, otherwise, your Windows Insider will be crashed! Then You have to reflashing your device!
    IMPORTANT!

Reports suggest that Microsoft has plugged the Insider app.

Using Fiddler to spoof Windows 10 on your unsupported device will no longer work.

Although this was only one method to install Windows 10 unofficially, it was a popular one for those without an SD card.

Source...