Finally root for Verizon Note 5!! (Update: False Alarm)

Search This thread

Icetech3

Sep 24, 2011
Detroit
Darn, Does Chainfire still post here on XDA? It would be good to know what this particular autoroot was about. I see since posting about it here last night when there were only 11 downloads of it that it now has 84 downloads. If this storm passes I'll give it a try but the thunder was so close it knocked a picture off my wall so I'm waiting for a better time as a power surge from a lightning strike wouldn't be a good plan while flashing :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Lots of apps on the playstore to show more info about your hardware - I usually use this one: Phone INFO ★Samsung★ from vndnguyen.

Ran phone info. mine is exynos5 on the correct nougat build.. i think something got uploaded to chainfire by accident honestly..

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
Ran phone info. mine is exynos5 on the correct nougat build.. i think something got uploaded to chainfire by accident honestly..

It would be good to hear from Chainfire. I would assume he is the only one who can upload to his site but at this point it's all assumptions ;)

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

It would be good to hear from Chainfire. I would assume he is the only one who can upload to his site but at this point it's all assumptions ;)

I'm guessing Chainfire is an incredibly busy guy but I did just send him a PM asking if he has any more info on this CF auto root for this VZ Note 5.

Freakyd9984@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016
Sunnyvale
So is this download link that was posted will it work on this version of my phone

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1493832210530.jpg
    1493832210530.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 1493832217927.jpg
    1493832217927.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 269

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
So is this download link that was posted will it work on this version of my phone

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA Free mobile app

I believe that would work but until someone confirms the CF auto root works for this phone or what Chainfire has going on with this I'd stick to the ROM you have. You may want to look in over here where it's more likely we will here from Chainfire about this:
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980683&page=196

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
I decided to try this CF auto root on my BQB1 Marshmallow with Odin. That .tar file is huge - about 300 Megabytes. I let it run for around 5 or 6 minutes and then Odin said 'Fail'. Rebooted and everything was okay - no loss of Apps or data. I used the Odin and the Odin.ini file included with the CF auto root as I could see some settings were different from the typical Odin.ini file. But no luck yet. I am not really wanting to update to Nougat just to try this until I see if anyone else succeeds or we hear from Chainfire what this is about - being that this is one of the only CF auto roots offered for the typical Verizon locked bootloader. Maybe he found some exploit in Nougat that wasn't available in MM but I'd like to know first before updating.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

I was talking about just updating to Nougat 7.0 I downloaded a tar. File and was just wanting to make sure it's ok to update my phone from Odin with that file

As long as you definitely have the SM-N920V phone that should be good to go. Just make sure to check the MD5 of the Nougat download so it matches this: 9fad2bd49f468542a54ffb41047acb97 for N920VVRU3CQB9_Nougat.zip. Free MD5 checkers are easy to find if you don't have one - just Google it.

Last edited:

dourah

Jan 26, 2017
Dakar
Hi guys,
Someone can help me to get a custom recovery for N920V ? like TWRP or Philz Touch. I have tired to search it since a month. Sorry if am in the wrong thread annd sorry for my bad english too.

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013

I checked my Note 5, Note 2, Note 4 and a few others with this app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.wifichipset&hl=en ) which is made by vndnguyen (a member on XDA) to check for the vulnerability. UNFORTUNATELY - if you read to the end of this thread ( https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/wifi-chipset-info-t3647602/page2 ) you will see that this App apparently fails to check properly for the vulnerability. So FORTUNATELY this might be a way to gain root but I somewhat doubt it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have been actively trying to get the root for us on Verizon but I found a few things within our current kernel that I believe is what's causing the hard lock if you try to root it. These are some of the lines in the de-compiled VZW kernel.

CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
    CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_HARDLOCKUP_PANIC=y

There is also quite a few other things within it that I do not see in the other variants like T-Mobile for instance. At the moment it's a Little Caesars type of day while I sit here and go through thousands upon thousands of lines of code from different carriers just to see what's different and what can be accomplished.. And some people say it's easy? LOL..

Edit: I guess I'm the only dev working on the Verizon variant? Would be nice to have some help and someone to collaborate with. I'll just push on for now though.
    Lol no "real" developer is going to let anyone know they're working on root or an exploit. From previous experiences they just post when it's ready and never give a heads up before time. The guy saying he had root on this thread is probably some fat kid sitting on his computer with a bottle of lotion right beside him looking for attention lol what a loser.
    While I'm not super optimistic of it working myself, that's no reason to go full on **** mode. I don't see anything remotely helpful or worthwhile from you. Your first statement simply isn't true. I've worked very closely with many developers and know they do sometimes let people know ahead of time. Your comment about him being "some fat kid" "with a bottle of lotion" offers nothing to the discussion here, not to mention it's incredibly toxic to the entire community. No one owes you root, and none of this is encouraging anyone to develop root either. The community at one point was all about encouraging people to learn how to crack open locked down devices. Instead, now it's full of people like you who are so negative and cutting, no one wants to contribute anymore because of the self-entitled attitudes that have run rampant all over XDA. You should be ashamed of yourself
    config_screw_our_customers=yes
    config_restrict_screwing_them=no
    config_hahahaha_no_root_for_them=��

This isn't far from the truth you know, lol.. They really did make this one hard. However the part where they claimed the phone wouldn't boot up at all if it detected root is a straight up lie and simply a way of scaring people into not even trying to begin with which is why I bought 2 Verizon Galaxy Note 5s just so I could break one if that really was the case but everything I've done to it that would cause it to bootloop, I've always been able to get out of, so far anyway.. Personally I think a boot strap is the way to go but it requires root so I'm looking for a way to at least get tethered root.. But for now since I'm in the Military and working a lot, I don't exactly have a ton of time but at least I'm trying.
    I really don't care. If you like trolls to come in the forum anD keep getting other Peoples hopes up then good for you. You might be a troll too. I don't even own a note 5 anymore lol I've moved on to the 8 now. So don't get mad at me for speaking for everyone else. Now if this fat kid doesn't come back with root then what? Lol foot in your gigantic donkey sized mouth now move aside kido.
    Except it's no foot in my mouth. I'm not saying he's got it. I am saying you're not being helpful in the least. I'm not a troll, but I am sick of seeing awful people in the forums.
    lol the troll is strong with this one