Finaly Nvidia Shield TV Update 3.0

Search This thread

geonahta

May 8, 2008
Great. Good to see updates coming.

Will they enable the track pad as it was advertised?
Will there be Skype as it was advertised?

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Sometimes soon is not soon at all. ? they made it seem like it was released till the last sentence

Note 5 ?

siemz

Oct 23, 2011
Utrecht
Hope it's soon enough, the USB storage option is really a blast since I got a 1TB external exFAT harddrive attached, using that would be beast as ****.

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
would it be possible to flash ir with twrp without losing root? sorry for the noob question
Best way would be to have systemless root, and to flash each individual partition with fastboot.
so if you had systtemless root, you could just flash the stock boot.img, and do a standard OTA.
once the OTA is done and everything is working you get systemless root by flashing via fastboot recovery and the then the systemless supersu package via TWRP
(all this is as long as you haven't modified the system partition)

Last edited:

liz.beth

Oct 10, 2014
Well it's thursday here but i have not seen the game available or the update to marshmallow. Guess i'll keep checking for it.

dark_saian

Jan 13, 2009
The game is available but the Marshmallow update isn't live yet. And installing a 5.5 Gb game on the internal memory is impossible. I have a 64Gb class 10 micro SD plugged in but I don't want to install any game on it cause I know that I will have to erase it to use it as internal storage in Marshmallow.

manmantis

Oct 12, 2012
Burnie
Still waiting for the fabled marshmallow update. Can't come soon enough for the sake of my internal memory!

Have to say though, some of the "new" features touted, aren't exactly new.

"Several new features offer increased personalization and ease of use. The home screen can now be customized by rearranging app tiles and menus. Searching has become easier with a new speak or click-to-type functionality".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last updates to the Android TV launcher & Google apps gave us both of those things. I've been rearranging my apps for a few weeks now...

Reactions: banderos101

Nixin Victis

Sep 11, 2015
January 17th . . . still waiting. It's now been over a whole quarter since Nvidia said they wouldn't keep us waiting "too long." Normally, I might be inclined to think the delay is trying to reconcile "M" with Android TV, that is, Google's biggest mistake ever just behind the Glass. But the Nexus Player already has Marshmallow. Every single element of Android performs noticibly worse on the stock Android TV than it does, for say, on Zulu99's rom. Who, might I add, worked on theirs for how long compared to Nvidias whole damn team? The Nvidia Shield Console is arguably the most advanced android device in existance. I would like to be at the very least somewhat thrilled by an official attempt at an OS by the makers. I'm not expecting to EVER be wowed again like I was for the original Shield before they messed up the streaming feature with it's innacurate roaming diagnostic features and stupid uneditable poor signal icon. Nvidia better have a daaaaaaaaaaamn good excuse.

Reactions: digimancer

digimancer

May 14, 2010
Vallejo
January 17th . . . still waiting. It's now been over a whole quarter since Nvidia said they wouldn't keep us waiting "too long." Normally, I might be inclined to think the delay is trying to reconcile "M" with Android TV, that is, Google's biggest mistake ever just behind the Glass. But the Nexus Player already has Marshmallow. Every single element of Android performs noticibly worse on the stock Android TV than it does, for say, on Zulu99's rom. Who, might I add, worked on theirs for how long compared to Nvidias whole damn team? The Nvidia Shield Console is arguably the most advanced android device in existance. I would like to be at the very least somewhat thrilled by an official attempt at an OS by the makers. I'm not expecting to EVER be wowed again like I was for the original Shield before they messed up the streaming feature with it's innacurate roaming diagnostic features and stupid uneditable poor signal icon. Nvidia better have a daaaaaaaaaaamn good excuse.

I can't agree with you more... How is it that the Android boxes coming out of China have enough common sense not to use [Android TV] (which is turrible), but instead just slap their own front ends on top of the real Android OS, so that the user can then decide if they like it, or want something better (aka Nova Launcher)... NVIDIA seems to have built their system using an OS with 3 year olds in mind. On a side note, Google should have learned from the failure of [Google TV] and just stopped, instead of rebranding the same failed BS as [Android TV]... :rolleyes:

Reactions: zulu99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update**

Update 3.0 already out, just go to settings and download the upgrade or download http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota..._e-full_ota-41937_667.2671.20160218230615.zip and Flash it with TWRP.

Enjoy Android 6.0

Thanks for the link brotbuexe
    I know many people are not happy with this product but I actually am. Does it need an update yes, does it need personalization yes, does it need a new layout and way to use all storage options together yes. Does that really means it gives Nvidia a bad reputation? I don't believe it gives them a bad rep, I believe this is a way above standard android tv box with ****ty software basically which we all know can and will be fixed. I have had zero issues with my box. My soul purpose for this box was for Kodi with out having to build a htpc basically and leaving my main rig in my office/gaming room. I had a Roku 3 for years which was great but no kodi and I like kodi better then plex in most cases. I bought the nexus player and it sucked hard. Went back on black Friday bought this for $150 with the free remote offer I snatched it up. I also have easily rooted and even tried full android 2.2, but honestly as of now because of the heard of update rolling out and full android being way harder to get all customized and fixed up the way you want it, I reflashed all system files and went back to 2.1 stock so when the update comes I can just install it. Also I have not had any problems with battery life in either controller and my only complaint at first was the controller being too sensitive lol. Anyway the flaws it has I feel will be fixed in the next update, if we have to wait longer I am fine with that as long as issues are fixed I will wait another 6 months no problem.
    The OTA URL for the official 3.0: http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota..._e-full_ota-41937_667.2671.20160218230615.zip

Got it from data\data\com.nvidia.ota\databases\LocalRom.db

The shield OTA downloader would download it to /data/user/0/com.nvidia.ota/app_download/PUBLICbfb1abdc7a3888347d996af54bcaa190.zip

The MD5 is bfb1abdc7a3888347d996af54bcaa190
    Releasenotes: http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-release-notes/3.0/

New SHIELD Features

Access the power menu on the home screen by holding the Back button.
    Seamlessly switch between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app.
    Added wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search.
    Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback.
    Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs.
    Option to set RGB Full Range. Go to Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range.
    Improved support for Denon receivers.
    CEC volume control for more audio receivers.
    Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware.
    Might be worth the wait

According to this Nvidia page, the upcoming 3.0.0 Shield TV update will have support for Vulkan:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-android

This is fantastic news. I was worried that Android Vulkan support wouldn't be out until the Nov 2016 new Android version. But now that we know it will be available "very soon", the wishful-thinking side of me hopes that the long delays on the Borderlands and other "Coming soon" games are partially due to them waiting for the Vulkan API's to become solid (aka, released) which they have been. This way they can really make a graphically fantastic port of these games. But, my practical side tells me that adding Vulkan support won't make financial sense when porting games that originally did not have low level 3D API support (aka Mantle or DX12 support). Still, I think we have a good chance of seeing some fantastic titles later this year with full Vulkan support.
    No News yet, Nvidia just made such bad reputation with this product, remote battery sucks, alot of bugs with HDMI-CEC.

How can you say that ?
    Personally speaking I love this device. It's simple enough for my entire family to use.
    I have no issues with the remote battery life.. Sure it doesn't last as long as traditional remote battery but then again it's not using IR to send signals to the device.. It uses Wifi and bluetooth, both of which consume power so all in all I'm very impressed given that my shield is out of sight and behind a wall and works great.
    HDMI-CEC is a crap shoot to begin with and success with it varies greatly depending on the age of your TV and how well it supports it. It works great on my 2013 tv but not at all with my 2011 TV.

Lastlly,
    RE the androiid version... I believe it's currently running Android V5.1 which is only one version behind Marshmallow.
    If you want a reality check on the number of devices that are running Marshmallow in comparison to all the other versions check this out : http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
    Here you will see that only 0.7% of all android devices out there today are using Marshmallow. 32% are on Lollipop, 36% are still on KitKat and the remainder are on Jelly Bean OR LOWER.
    So how can ANYONE complain about nVidia being slow with updates ??????????

From what I can tell (and maybe I'm wrong), the only new up front feature that will truly be of value to use is the use of the SD Card to increase the amount of memory on the device. And even with that, it's only an incremental upgrade to the current version which already supports installing apps to the SD card.

So I don't know why there is such a huge rush for people feeling the need to have Marshmallow now.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone