Finaly Nvidia Shield TV Update 3.0

Search This thread

domg73

Jul 16, 2011
Has anyone here tried Adoptable Storage ('AS') with external USB hard drives? Judging by some of the posts in this thread, that feature doesn't seem to be a benefit when using SD cards, but I wonder if USB3.0 hard drives are the better way to go..? Anyone notice any performance hits on gaming or data intensive apps using AS and fast USB Storage? I still plan on doing it, but I'd like to hear the experience from others..

I use an external usb3 SSD 120GB as adopted storage.... works perfect and it's very fast... I can FTP to it and write speed over gigabit lan is around 60-70MB/s... apps load instantly and no performance hits with data intensive games so far.

Last edited:

baileyjr

Aug 21, 2012
Cardiff
Has anyone here tried Adoptable Storage ('AS') with external USB hard drives? Judging by some of the posts in this thread, that feature doesn't seem to be a benefit when using SD cards, but I wonder if USB3.0 hard drives are the better way to go..? Anyone notice any performance hits on gaming or data intensive apps using AS and fast USB Storage? I still plan on doing it, but I'd like to hear the experience from others..

Yes, I'm using a old 500gb WD passport HD I had hanging around. Works perfectly for me and no performance issues. 60-70MB sec read speeds over USB 3.

Reactions: d0ubl3_d1zzl3

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Fps is definitely lower, especially in action but get the biggest drops when looking around or moving to a new area

If I can ever get my Google Play Store working again I'll re-install MGSRR and see how my performance is. A class 10 card is the *minimum* for Marshmallow as extensible storage, I have a PNY U3 card, read speeds (without encryption) are around 90MB/sec.

d0ubl3_d1zzl3

Sep 8, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I use an external usb3 SSD 120GB as adopted storage.... works perfect and it's very fast... I can FTP to it and write speed over gigabit lan is around 60-70MB/s... apps load instantly and no performance hits with data intensive games so far.

Yes, I'm using a old 500gb WD passport HD I had hanging around. Works perfectly for me and no performance issues. 60-70MB sec read speeds over USB 3.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made my 500GB Toshiba drive in an USB3.0 enclosure adopted storage and so far haven't noticed any slow downs as of yet.. But not sure if I'm getting the same read/write speeds.. I got around 25MB/s copying from my SD card to 'Internal Storage' using ES File Explorer, but I'll have to try other tests..
@domg73 - Have you used SambaDroid? I'm assuming using FTP to transfer files to your SATV is much quicker... If so, which FTP Server app are you using?

domg73

Jul 16, 2011
@domg73 - Have you used SambaDroid? I'm assuming using FTP to transfer files to your SATV is much quicker... If so, which FTP Server app are you using?

SambaDroid requires root I guess.. my Shield TV is not rooted that's why I use FTP and since writing to adopted storage does not require any special permission I'm good... I use FTPDroid.

Andy4Shurr

Jun 3, 2014
Manchester
I'm trying to make a backup after updating to marshmallow but I'm facing a problem where twrp is rebooting after a couple of minutes. So I can't make a backup because there's not enough time. Is there a newer twrp that I should be using?

Edit: yeah there's a newer twrp I found which solved this. Post 133 of this thread.

Last edited:

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
So, if anyone's Play Store closes whenever you try to use it - try switching accounts. This worked for me and others on the GeForce Forums. It's a horrible solution, because obviously you want to use your normal account - but it goes to show that it's not a simple problem. I talked to Google on the phone, they swear it's not an account issue (but it really seems like it is), I talked to Nvidia chat support and they said they're aware of the issue and are investigating.

victormetal92

Aug 12, 2013
Zapopan
HDD External - ES Explorer

Android 6 Bug? I have two hdd, one as internal (seagate backup slim 500gb) and another as external (Adata 1 TB), i got the issue in the 1TB one... when i explore in it i cant delete any file... so i went to the option in ES Explorer and Try to turn on the Root Explorer, and it said that the function doesnt support in my device... any solution? Or i need another File explorer?

Jan 5, 2016
Android 6 Bug? I have two hdd, one as internal (seagate backup slim 500gb) and another as external (Adata 1 TB), i got the issue in the 1TB one... when i explore in it i cant delete any file... so i went to the option in ES Explorer and Try to turn on the Root Explorer, and it said that the function doesnt support in my device... any solution? Or i need another File explorer?

This might be a stupid question but is your STV rooted? If not, that is why it won't work....as for why you can't delete a file, I had this problem on a different atv box (not shield) and the box was rooted with that option turned on, so I dunno if it is a error/glitch or what.

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
First, I am not rooted and I have the 16gb shield with Marshmallow. I can see my external hard drive through Shield storage settings but can not acess it. The same when using ES file manager, it shows the usb (mounted) but I can not open it? Anyone with some advice?

bradwatson

Apr 4, 2011
First, I am not rooted and I have the 16gb shield with Marshmallow. I can see my external hard drive through Shield storage settings but can not acess it. The same when using ES file manager, it shows the usb (mounted) but I can not open it? Anyone with some advice?
I am rooted, but I'm able to access my external HDD without issues and NOT using any root apps to access it. I actually uninstalled stickmount because it was failing to mount after the 3.0 update. Now I can just access my HDD from Kodi and ES without needing stickmount.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
I am rooted, but I'm able to access my external HDD without issues and NOT using any root apps to access it. I actually uninstalled stickmount because it was failing to mount after the 3.0 update. Now I can just access my HDD from Kodi and ES without needing stickmount.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Great for you but I still need to know why I cannot access my external hard drive.

fqr

May 22, 2011
After the update to 3.0 and the corresponding updates for the shield remote, i am experiencing problems when using netflix. scrolling through lists using the circular direction pad, netflix registers this as select and starts the movie... this way the remote is more or less useless in netflix and i have to use the controller instead. also on kodi the re,mote is misbehaving. i guess theres no way to dongrade the remote software?!

xNixon

Dec 23, 2009
Oslo
Updated my NSTVpro to 3.0 a week back now, just had trubles after the update, i can't boot the console anymore by remote or gamepad, i actually have to go and replug the AC in and out before it boots up, its a pain in the ass! anyone else had this problem ? before the update, this was one of the best features i liked without knowing it, too bad that a software update can make so much trouble, the update itself hasen't done squat for me on any other topic of the console.

tips to how i can fix it ? tried sending Nvidia an email but no luck getting them to respond

braunclaude

Feb 5, 2016
nvidia shield tv full android 5,1

helli sorry mi englis is not good.
i have in mi shield tv full android 5,1 and now i flash the new 3.0 original in my shield bat nit working now ! i put it white mini adb and faastboot. and now i put the power and only coming the nvidia green text in mi tv an nothing more.please can help mi .
i speek german o french o portugies.
thx .
i have 16gb version

Last edited:

palermo_at

Mar 4, 2016
ntfs

hi, after upgrading to 3.0 on my 16gb version of the shield, i cannot access my ntfs-hd. i think, before i did this with paragon ntfs, but looks like it doesnt work anymore on android 6.0. any ideas?
in es-filemanager and totalcommander i can mount the hd - everything works fine, but in f.e. MAME i cant access it.
thx in advance

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

and...am i right with the market helper is not working anymore under 6.0?
i see the change on the device-list but it do not change anything in playstore.

Last edited:

tailslol

Sep 20, 2015
helli sorry mi englis is not good.
i have in mi shield tv full android 5,1 and now i flash the new 3.0 original in my shield bat nit working now ! i put it white mini adb and faastboot. and now i put the power and only coming the nvidia green text in mi tv an nothing more.please can help mi .
i speek german o french o portugies.
thx .
i have 16gb version
<MOD EDIT - XDA is a International Community, please use only English Thanks.>

Last edited by a moderator:

braunclaude

Feb 5, 2016

tailslol

Sep 20, 2015

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update**

Update 3.0 already out, just go to settings and download the upgrade or download http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota..._e-full_ota-41937_667.2671.20160218230615.zip and Flash it with TWRP.

Enjoy Android 6.0

Thanks for the link brotbuexe
    I know many people are not happy with this product but I actually am. Does it need an update yes, does it need personalization yes, does it need a new layout and way to use all storage options together yes. Does that really means it gives Nvidia a bad reputation? I don't believe it gives them a bad rep, I believe this is a way above standard android tv box with ****ty software basically which we all know can and will be fixed. I have had zero issues with my box. My soul purpose for this box was for Kodi with out having to build a htpc basically and leaving my main rig in my office/gaming room. I had a Roku 3 for years which was great but no kodi and I like kodi better then plex in most cases. I bought the nexus player and it sucked hard. Went back on black Friday bought this for $150 with the free remote offer I snatched it up. I also have easily rooted and even tried full android 2.2, but honestly as of now because of the heard of update rolling out and full android being way harder to get all customized and fixed up the way you want it, I reflashed all system files and went back to 2.1 stock so when the update comes I can just install it. Also I have not had any problems with battery life in either controller and my only complaint at first was the controller being too sensitive lol. Anyway the flaws it has I feel will be fixed in the next update, if we have to wait longer I am fine with that as long as issues are fixed I will wait another 6 months no problem.
    The OTA URL for the official 3.0: http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota..._e-full_ota-41937_667.2671.20160218230615.zip

Got it from data\data\com.nvidia.ota\databases\LocalRom.db

The shield OTA downloader would download it to /data/user/0/com.nvidia.ota/app_download/PUBLICbfb1abdc7a3888347d996af54bcaa190.zip

The MD5 is bfb1abdc7a3888347d996af54bcaa190
    Releasenotes: http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-release-notes/3.0/

New SHIELD Features

Access the power menu on the home screen by holding the Back button.
    Seamlessly switch between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app.
    Added wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search.
    Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback.
    Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs.
    Option to set RGB Full Range. Go to Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range.
    Improved support for Denon receivers.
    CEC volume control for more audio receivers.
    Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware.
    Might be worth the wait

According to this Nvidia page, the upcoming 3.0.0 Shield TV update will have support for Vulkan:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-android

This is fantastic news. I was worried that Android Vulkan support wouldn't be out until the Nov 2016 new Android version. But now that we know it will be available "very soon", the wishful-thinking side of me hopes that the long delays on the Borderlands and other "Coming soon" games are partially due to them waiting for the Vulkan API's to become solid (aka, released) which they have been. This way they can really make a graphically fantastic port of these games. But, my practical side tells me that adding Vulkan support won't make financial sense when porting games that originally did not have low level 3D API support (aka Mantle or DX12 support). Still, I think we have a good chance of seeing some fantastic titles later this year with full Vulkan support.
    No News yet, Nvidia just made such bad reputation with this product, remote battery sucks, alot of bugs with HDMI-CEC.

How can you say that ?
    Personally speaking I love this device. It's simple enough for my entire family to use.
    I have no issues with the remote battery life.. Sure it doesn't last as long as traditional remote battery but then again it's not using IR to send signals to the device.. It uses Wifi and bluetooth, both of which consume power so all in all I'm very impressed given that my shield is out of sight and behind a wall and works great.
    HDMI-CEC is a crap shoot to begin with and success with it varies greatly depending on the age of your TV and how well it supports it. It works great on my 2013 tv but not at all with my 2011 TV.

Lastlly,
    RE the androiid version... I believe it's currently running Android V5.1 which is only one version behind Marshmallow.
    If you want a reality check on the number of devices that are running Marshmallow in comparison to all the other versions check this out : http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
    Here you will see that only 0.7% of all android devices out there today are using Marshmallow. 32% are on Lollipop, 36% are still on KitKat and the remainder are on Jelly Bean OR LOWER.
    So how can ANYONE complain about nVidia being slow with updates ??????????

From what I can tell (and maybe I'm wrong), the only new up front feature that will truly be of value to use is the use of the SD Card to increase the amount of memory on the device. And even with that, it's only an incremental upgrade to the current version which already supports installing apps to the SD card.

So I don't know why there is such a huge rush for people feeling the need to have Marshmallow now.