Question Finding a prepaid SIM/carrier that will will with my Joying

Search This thread

dishe2

Dec 2, 2020
Yeah mine showed 4G and bars. I’ll be with my vehicle tomorrow and will update this thread whether Verizon unlimited plan works or not. Just trying to look up a way to find those APN settings. I don’t own an android phone unfortunately.
If it's straight up Verizon and not an MVNO, it should be easy to find settings posted online.

Someone in a post above me suggested unlockit.co.nz but they actually had the wrong apn for my carrier so your mileage may vary. I'm sure someone has a Verizon sim in an Android phone that can share the settings. If you get bars and an LTE symbol, I think you can get it to work. Even if you have to borrow someone's old android phone for 5 minutes to find it. 😂

Apparently not did you read above lol
Yes read entire thread, Atoto is not joying. I've done APN easily, makes no difference. I get bars see vzw, will not connect. Anyone gets this on joying or idoing then post video.

I know it sees towers because I got email from vzw that my Sim is in unsupported device. Either blocked by software or by vzw.

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
Yes read entire thread, Atoto is not joying. I've done APN easily, makes no difference. I get bars see vzw, will not connect. Anyone gets this on joying or idoing then post video.

I know it sees towers because I got email from vzw that my Sim is in unsupported device. Either blocked by software or by vzw.
Did you IMEI swap? That and APN are the two holdups to getting data.

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
no and I'm not likely to. There's a reason that's not allowed to be discussed here.
The reason is because IMEI change is used by miscreants to unblock stolen phones. Doing so on your in-car device shouldn't be an issue. Some suggest just changing the last number on an existing device you own or you can google for an IMEI random generator.

Your only other option is to find a carrier that supports your IMEI. I keyed my device IMEI in just about every US carrier's IMEI compatibility checker and failed all of them.

well not getting into a legal argument here. I would not be comfortable to change my IMEI to get access to a network that is otherwise blocking my access. Given the 3 month unlimted 15/mo from Mint mobile I am considering going that path as I have confirm Mint mobile work in both my Joying and IDoing. T-Mobile is jut not the best in terms of coverage here.

dishe2

Dec 2, 2020
well not getting into a legal argument here. I would not be comfortable to change my IMEI to get access to a network that is otherwise blocking my access. Given the 3 month unlimted 15/mo from Mint mobile I am considering going that path as I have confirm Mint mobile work in both my Joying and IDoing. T-Mobile is jut not the best in terms of coverage here.
You don't have to change your IMEI unless you are using a carrier that only works with a specific phone (Optimum/Altice, for example, only accepts iphones, motos and Samsungs, and uses the IMEI to determine that. Beast mobile has that plan that only works with a specific Nuu phone with a custom OS, etc).

Other carriers work fine but Atoto does not work with their APN propagation for some reason. You can do it manually as I pointed out in my video. That is not illegal, it is a workaround for a bug some of these units have. Most US carriers should work with just that added I'd think. Very few actually filter by IMEI.

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
I'm just giving you options to help in your original quest to use VZW on your device. Not twisting any arms here. :D
You don't have to change your IMEI unless you are using a carrier that only works with a specific phone (Optimum/Altice, for example, only accepts iphones, motos and Samsungs, and uses the IMEI to determine that. Beast mobile has that plan that only works with a specific Nuu phone with a custom OS, etc).

Other carriers work fine but Atoto does not work with their APN propagation for some reason. You can do it manually as I pointed out in my video. That is not illegal, it is a workaround for a bug some of these units have. Most US carriers should work with just that added I'd think. Very few actually filter by IMEI.
I guess it depends on the head unit vendor here, because if it wasn't an issue, there wouldn't be a thread about it on 4PDA :p

dishe2

Dec 2, 2020
I'm just giving you options to help in your original quest to use VZW on your device. Not twisting any arms here. :D

I guess it depends on the head unit vendor here, because if it wasn't an issue, there wouldn't be a thread about it on 4PDA :p
There are definitely subtle differences between vendors but the quirks are largely the same. The APN population issue seems pretty common across brands.

Vzw doesn't actually do IMEI whitelisting in my experience. They used to when it was CDMA only, but when it comes to using the LTE network, they care only about it for activation purposes. Once the sim is active, it can go in any LTE compatible phone that supports the correct bands. At least, this has been my experience with their MVNOs like US Mobile, Red Pocket Red, Page Plus and Visible. They even allowed me to put the sim in a Sprint branded LG phone! You can't get a much more non-whitelisted IMEI that one from the (former) competitor CDMA network! Yet once the sim was active, they didn't care.

That seems to be the case here too. I put the Sim in a compatible phone first (I have my wife's Pixel 3 with a shattered screen in my drawer), then put it in my Android head unit and all I need to do is manually enter the APN!

There are definitely some carriers that whitelist only certain devices by number. Verizon doesn't seem to be one of them, unless their MVNOS are that different from their direct service.

dishe2

Dec 2, 2020
I tried multiple APN applications. They all allow me to see the APN settings, but I cannot create or save a new APN.
Then you didn't try the app I mentioned in the video above because it doesn't even have an option to SEE the settings. It literally only adds a new one. It's the only app that solved the issue for me. It's posted in the video but I'll share a link directly here:

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
I put the Sim in a compatible phone first (I have my wife's Pixel 3 with a shattered screen in my drawer), then put it in my Android head unit and all I need to do is manually enter the APN!
That's the trick. I activated from the head unit itself, which required IMEI modification.
I wasn't interested in a "pay to learn" approach, where I had to activate a SIM that might not even work (VZW, eg)

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
I notice there are possibly 3 versions, INTEL, UNISOC, and QUALCOMM. I'm not too familiar with chips, so one may be the same. But, I currently have the UNISOC model:

UIS7862 12nm Dual ARM Cortex-A75 + Six ARM A55

Looking to add a SIM. I have Verizon, and want to add a data line to my account for the Unit. I see that someone was able to use Verizon by placing the NEW SIM in a compatible device to activate it first, then add the SIM to the Unit. Once installed, manually add the APN settings using the ADDAPN app. All assuming that when a VERIZON Sim is added, signal is shown. Please verify if these are the correct steps.

Also, I see that the QUALCOMM SNAPDRAGON version has support for BAND 4, which is a widely used band in the US, so I assume it may have better compatibility.

Once I test the steps, I will report back with my findings and any details that will be effective in letting others know what can be achieved.

Cabell7676

Jun 24, 2022
Then you didn't try the app I mentioned in the video above because it doesn't even have an option to SEE the settings. It literally only adds a new one. It's the only app that solved the issue for me. It's posted in the video but I'll share a link directly here:
I did try this app, and it took me directly to the Add APN screen. Than when I entered the information, and saved it, it didn’t show up under APNs, nor did it allow the device to get an IP address from the network.

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
I did try this app, and it took me directly to the Add APN screen. Than when I entered the information, and saved it, it didn’t show up under APNs, nor did it allow the device to get an IP address from the network.
What is your unit? Can you post MCU ID from info screen?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Fi absolutely rapes you with charges for data. My teenage son was on it for a month and we immediately switched him back to Straight Talk.

So @j-5 you used an IMEI switcher? I'm not sure what this actually does... you just 'fooled' the carrier into thinking they're providing service to a cellular phone instead? I don't know much about how to do that. Getting that one from T'eyes does it have to be used on a T'eyes device? I clicked in your post and it downloaded a file (to my computer) but it doesn't do anything. Does this need to be moved to my headunit and 'loaded' somehow?

I just got my wife's new Joying installed, called Straight Talk and they said they just don't support car stereos, I told them I could put a card in it like a tablet and they told me to use a T-Mobile Straight Talk card, but when I asked about what bands it uses, they couldn't tell me - said I needed to get a card and put it in to know that, but I don't want to spend $50-60 AGAIN to get another card that won't work in my unit.

I'm kind of at a loss.
    What I did is use an IMEI randomizer to simulate a pixel 5. Put those into the file using notepad (two different ones since I have 2 sim slots). Loaded the file onto a usb thumber and plugged it into the usb interface of the unit. My unit popped up a message saying “imei changed”. Then after a reboot the new IMEI was in the unit settings. Plugged in my USMobile sim card and it showed up on my account to register.

My unit is an FYT with vendor ID=1.
    Us mobile uses the t-mobile and Verizon networks. The Verizon sim got no signal but the t-mobile one had all the bars.
    So it appears all of the Big 3 in the U.S. utilize FDD-LTE Band 2 - but this begs the question why my previously-purchased new cards that should have worked on the AT&T network (one from Straight Talk and one direct from AT&T) would not work in my older unit.

Do I have to somehow make sure the card I purchase is specifically for that band, or does any AT&T 4G LTE (non 5G) card, work on ALL of the AT&T bands?

Forgive me if I'm asking really dumb questions here - all this compatibility of various cellular networks stuff has me spinning in circles.
    First thing is to put in your SIM card and see if you get bars.
    I had two cards, one for T-mobile and one for Verizon. Only the T-mobile had bars.
    If you don't get bars, you don't have a network and nothing else will work.
    My radio info read the SIM card and told me all the deets on the network provider.

I don't have a T'eyes unit just a generic FYT unit, and the "magic file" is just a text file named IMEI0 with 2 lines for IMEI numbers.
    I will update - got 4G working again on my older Joying unit by changing APN settings. Now I have 4G again! W00T!

Now to spend some time (when I have it) working on the new Snapdragon unit.
    I just put it in. I don't know why the old card I had wouldn't show up, but the new one, since it was working my old old unit, I just swapped it over, rebooted and it worked. Didn't have to change APN settings in the new unit, either. Go figure.