Question Finding a prepaid SIM/carrier that will will with my Joying

Search This thread

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Glad I found this thread. I’m thinking about buying a joying 11.6 unit (not sure which chipset I need yet). I have a T-Mobile tablet data plan on an iPad that I never use. I’m hoping to swap it over into the head unit when I do purchase it.
Yes, that should work. The Snapdragon does seem to support more US bands, well, one extra, but more support is better, so just swapping the SIM Card should work. Between the two chipsets, Snapdragon is more well known, but tests say the UIS chip is a more powerful chip. However, if you're not a chipset aficionado, you probably won't tell the difference.

Reactions: Litwick87

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Yes, that should work. The Snapdragon does seem to support more US bands, well, one extra, but more support is better, so just swapping the SIM Card should work. Between the two chipsets, Snapdragon is more well known, but tests say the UIS chip is a more powerful chip. However, if you're not a chipset aficionado, you probably won't tell the difference.
For the Jeep specific one I see a single DIN 6/128 and as a pff the shelf I see the Qualcomm 4GB, but I don’t know what the jeep specific one really entails. I’ll need to email them.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Looks like this one plus a Jeep canbus decoder should work for me.

It seems the vehicle specific models come with prewired harnesses with Canbus if needed, as well as a Dash Trim kit for a more factory install. The Unit itself is the same. The Snapdragon Units seem to max at 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage. The UIS Units go to 6GB/8GB RAM, and 128GB Storage.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
It seems the vehicle specific models come with prewired harnesses with Canbus if needed, as well as a Dash Trim kit for a more factory install. The Unit itself is the same. The Snapdragon Units seem to max at 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage. The UIS Units go to 6GB/8GB RAM, and 128GB Storage.
Ahh so no need for a separate canbus decoder

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Ahh so no need for a separate canbus decoder
Most likely you will need one if your Factory Unit had Car related features. Jeep may have UConnect like Dodge, and if so, then you'll need the CANBUS for steering wheel controls as well as other features. But the Canbus should come in the box with the Jeep Unit. But if you get the universal Unit, you will need to get the Canbus and Trim kit separately. Also, measure your dash, because the 11.6 doesn't sit flush in my vehicle. It fits fine, but one side isn't snapped in place due to the dash design. I would probably need the 10.1 inch screen for a fully flush install.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Most likely you will need one if your Factory Unit had Car related features. Jeep may have UConnect like Dodge, and if so, then you'll need the CANBUS for steering wheel controls as well as other features. But the Canbus should come in the box with the Jeep Unit. But if you get the universal Unit, you will need to get the Canbus and Trim kit separately. Also, measure your dash, because the 11.6 doesn't sit flush in my vehicle. It fits fine, but one side isn't snapped in place due to the dash design. I would probably need the 10.1 inch screen for a fully flush install.
My car (2012 wrangler) is listed as compatible for the 11.6, but you’re right I’ll measure before ordering.

rudy626

Jan 14, 2011
That's odd that the same issue persists with a second Unit. I'm sure the SIM Card works fine in other devices. The metal bracket, at least on my Unit, holds the SIM Card tightly in place once snapped in. If the bracket works correctly, you shouldn't be able to place anything between it and the SIM Card, unless you mean to place it above the bracket inside the SIM holder.

Since you have SnapDragon and T-Mobile, you should have a better connection due to the support for Band 4. On your T-Mobile account, do you have the Unit IMEI registered, or another compatible device IMEI?

I encountered an issue with another Chinese device, one of the Snail Gaming phones, in which I used that device IMEI, and it worked for a while on AT&T, but then suddenly, it just stopped working. I think it may be an Carrier IMEI block. Probably try registering with a common device IMEI first, like an iPad or Android Tablet, and then install into the unit.
That is a great suggestion I will attempt this tomorrow as I will be off and have some time to go over it. Another development that I kind of feel embarrassed to admit was that today I locked the radio to wcdma only and it works and maintains connection on 3g. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but yeah I tested this with 4hrs of driving today and 0 issues besides top speeds of 5mbps. Still as soon as I switch to 4g it will lose connection. Now I am starting to think it's a comparability issue with frequency range.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
My car (2012 wrangler) is listed as compatible for the 11.6, but you’re right I’ll measure before ordering

That is a great suggestion I will attempt this tomorrow as I will be off and have some time to go over it. Another development that I kind of feel embarrassed to admit was that today I locked the radio to wcdma only and it works and maintains connection on 3g. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but yeah I tested this with 4hrs of driving today and 0 issues besides top speeds of 5mbps. Still as soon as I switch to 4g it will lose connection. Now I am starting to think it's a comparability issue with frequency range.
Locked to WCDMA? You should be able to change it back in the Android Settings to Global. Sometimes the true Settings for these Units are hidden and you'll need an app like Activity Launcher to access them. With your Unit being the SnapDragon, once you set it to 4G, you should get a decent connection. If not, then definitely check your APN settings. I think it's the BEARER section, make sure the LTE options are selected. The ones I posted are for Verizon, so T-Mobile may be slightly different.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
I guess I probably shouldn’t get the snapdragon unit. This is from joying.

“Sorry our snapdragon 11.6 unit cannot compatible with our jeep canbus harness, if you want to purchase our snapdragon 11.6 unit, you need to purchase the suitable canbus harness from other place.

If you choose our 7862 system 11.6" head unit, then it can work with our Jeep canbus harness which is plug and play for your car.”

Best regards
Mandy

dorfious

Jul 13, 2022
If anyone has successfully swapped IMEI numbers on one of these crazy units, will you PM me details? I paid for both T-Mobile and Verizon sims with no success. So far, $60 in the hole.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
If anyone has successfully swapped IMEI numbers on one of these crazy units, will you PM me details? I paid for both T-Mobile and Verizon sims with no success. So far, $60 in the hole.
For Verizon, I didn't do a IMEI swap per se, but instead, I used a compatible device such as an iPad 5 to activate the line. Once the card was activated, I removed it from the iPad and placed it in the Joying Unit, updated the APN settings, and restarted the JOYING and it worked.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
I guess I probably shouldn’t get the snapdragon unit. This is from joying.

“Sorry our snapdragon 11.6 unit cannot compatible with our jeep canbus harness, if you want to purchase our snapdragon 11.6 unit, you need to purchase the suitable canbus harness from other place.

If you choose our 7862 system 11.6" head unit, then it can work with our Jeep canbus harness which is plug and play for your car.”

Best regards
Mandy
Maybe due to the snapdragon chip differences, the canbus they have doesn't communicate correctly. Weird indeed. The Unit itself should work, but you will lose car related features through the Unit due to not having a canbus.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Maybe due to the snapdragon chip differences, the canbus they have doesn't communicate correctly. Weird indeed. The Unit itself should work, but you will lose car related features through the Unit due to not having a canbus.
I’ll take my chances without having extended band LTE on T-Mo over not having CANBUS/steering wheel controls.

All else fails what’s a decent car router I can stick a SIM card in? Something I can maybe tuck away?

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
I’ll take my chances without having extended band LTE on T-Mo over not having CANBUS/steering wheel controls.

All else fails what’s a decent car router I can stick a SIM card in? Something I can maybe tuck away?
Even though my connection works, due to the limited bands supported, I have been researching some MiFi devices. There's an extra USB Connection on the back of the Joying Unit that I was thinking of simply adding the MiFi device to it. However, to avoid the extra charge for a data line, as another user (MASTRV) suggested, depending on your device, you can set it up to use Hotspot when it automatically Bluetooth connects to the Unit.

These are the pros/cons for each setup I have gathered.

SIM Card in Unit;
PROS: Instant connection; no extra peripheral needed, full speed under good connection
CONS: possible disconnects due to limited band support, finding correct APN settings, expensive charge with opening new line on account

HOTSPOT:
PROS: creates solid, stable WiFi connection, simple setup
CONS: mostly manual setup, requires manual turn on with every vehicle start-up if not automated, hotspot speed limited by carrier, phone required

MIFI DEVICE:
PROS: creates stable WiFi connection for unit and other devices in car, gives full speed connection not limited like certain hotspot connections, can be tucked away for clean installation, has battery for constant power and instant on when vehicle starts up.
CONS: extra peripheral cost, expensive start up cost if opening new line on account, needs to be powered for faster connection from vehicle start-up or slower connection time due to device power up if battery depletes.

I have not used a MiFi device, so there may be some other pros and cons, but from what I have gathered, those are most of the situations you should run into with each setup.

As for In-Car WiFi devices, HOTSPOT or MIFI are good choices. The better MIFI device depends on your chosen company. For Verizon, I am considering either the MIFI 7100L or 8100L. The 5G models are more expensive, and based on reviews, may need some polishing before I am willing to spend more for a device being used in the vehicle for short driving periods.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Welp I ordered
Even though my connection works, due to the limited bands supported, I have been researching some MiFi devices. There's an extra USB Connection on the back of the Joying Unit that I was thinking of simply adding the MiFi device to it. However, to avoid the extra charge for a data line, as another user (MASTRV) suggested, depending on your device, you can set it up to use Hotspot when it automatically Bluetooth connects to the Unit.

SIM Card in Unit;
PROS: Instant connection; no extra peripheral needed, full speed under good connection
CONS: possible disconnects due to limited band support, finding correct APN settings, expensive charge with opening new line on account

HOTSPOT:
CONS: mostly manual setup, requires manual turn on with every vehicle start-up if not automated, hotspot speed limited by carrier, phone required

MIFI DEVICE:
PROS: creates stable WiFi connection for unit and other devices in car, gives full speed connection not limited like certain hotspot connections, can be tucked away for clean installation, has battery for constant power and instant on when vehicle starts up.
CONS: extra peripheral cost, expensive start up cost if opening new line on account, needs to be powered for faster connection from vehicle start-up or slower connection time due to device power up if battery depletes.

I have not used a MiFi device, so there may be some other pros and cons, but from what I have gathered, those are most of the situations you should run into with each setup.

As for In-Car WiFi devices, HOTSPOT or MIFI are good choices. The better MIFI device depends on your chosen company. For Verizon, I am considering either the MIFI 7100L or 8100L. The 5G models are more expensive, and based on reviews, may need some polishing before I am willing to spend more for a device being used in the vehicle for short driving periods.
ill keep all this In mind after testing. I just ordered the UIS version + all 4 accessories. Here goes nothing..

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Welp I ordered

ill keep all this In mind after testing. I just ordered the UIS version + all 4 accessories. Here goes nothing..
Nice! Congrats! It's a nice really nice Unit. I'm satisfied with my purchase. I even have a Firestick attached to it just in case a streaming app doesn't work. That's one of the reasons I am thinking about getting the MiFi, since I won't have to switch to Hotspot when using the FireStick. Also, if I want to play Gamepass, I may need a faster, more stable connection.

Hopefully you are able to get everything set up correctly. There is a wire in the back that has to be connected for the canbus to work. Mine came connected from factory, but my vehicle doesn't need canbus. You will also need to select and activate your canbus in the Unit. From there, you should be able to program the Steering Wheel controls.

Shipping will take about 2 weeks. I ordered on the 9th and it arrived on the 20th.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
A MiFi is a device that creates a "hotspot" the same way a phone would/does. The FireStick should be able to connect to a phone's hotspot just as it would connect to a MiFi's hotspot.

You can always try out with your phone's hotspot and then if it doesn't work, then get or try out the MiFi.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
With a mifi I can just pop a T-Mobile SIM card in and hopefully run? Or do I need a new plan.

I’m really hoping I can use my iPad data plan as that thing is gathering dust. I use SoundCloud a lot and don’t want to stream things off my phone if I have a perfectly good android head unit.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
I think it depends on several things:
  • First, does T-Mobile allow this.
  • Second, does the plan allow it.
  • Three, the MiFi itself
These were some of the things when I had/used a MiFi several years ago. Best way is to just try it. For the MiFi, you may need specific a MiFi that works with your provider, T-Mobile. Go in to a T-Mobile store, if possible, and try on a MiFi in the store. Not all MiFis are equal. Best way is to try out the MiFi in the areas or routes you normal use.

If you have a MiFi or are going to get one other than directly from T-Mobile, you might need to unlock it. You'll need to check that as well. Some places have laws that require providers provide unlock info/methods. You may also be able to get unlock info from various sites...not sure about it.

I switched providers and my old MiFi did not work at it's best in certain locations as it did not have all bands of the new provider I was switching to.

There are some pretty nifty MiFis available. I had the 763s wireless aircard MiFi: https://www.ltemifi.com/sierra-763s-wireless-aircard-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot-647.html This was before they had 5G and colour LCD displays.

Just some things/info to consider.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SIM Card in Unit;

HOTSPOT:

MIFI DEVICE:

Welp I ordered

Nice! Congrats! It's a nice really nice Unit. I'm satisfied with my purchase. I even have a Firestick attached to it just in case a streaming app doesn't work. That's one of the reasons I am thinking about getting the MiFi, since I won't have to switch to Hotspot when using the FireStick. Also, if I want to play Gamepass, I may need a faster, more stable connection.

Hopefully you are able to get everything set up correctly. There is a wire in the back that has to be connected for the canbus to work. Mine came connected from factory, but my vehicle doesn't need canbus. You will also need to select and activate your canbus in the Unit. From there, you should be able to program the Steering Wheel controls.

Shipping will take about 2 weeks. I ordered on the 9th and it arrived on the 20th.
    A MiFi is a device that creates a "hotspot" the same way a phone would/does. The FireStick should be able to connect to a phone's hotspot just as it would connect to a MiFi's hotspot.

You can always try out with your phone's hotspot and then if it doesn't work, then get or try out the MiFi.
    I think it depends on several things:
    • First, does T-Mobile allow this.
    • Second, does the plan allow it.
    • Three, the MiFi itself
    These were some of the things when I had/used a MiFi several years ago. Best way is to just try it. For the MiFi, you may need specific a MiFi that works with your provider, T-Mobile. Go in to a T-Mobile store, if possible, and try on a MiFi in the store. Not all MiFis are equal. Best way is to try out the MiFi in the areas or routes you normal use.

If you have a MiFi or are going to get one other than directly from T-Mobile, you might need to unlock it. You'll need to check that as well. Some places have laws that require providers provide unlock info/methods. You may also be able to get unlock info from various sites...not sure about it.

I switched providers and my old MiFi did not work at it's best in certain locations as it did not have all bands of the new provider I was switching to.

There are some pretty nifty MiFis available. I had the 763s wireless aircard MiFi: https://www.ltemifi.com/sierra-763s-wireless-aircard-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot-647.html This was before they had 5G and colour LCD displays.

Just some things/info to consider.
    Google Fi absolutely rapes you with charges for data. My teenage son was on it for a month and we immediately switched him back to Straight Talk.

So @j-5 you used an IMEI switcher? I'm not sure what this actually does... you just 'fooled' the carrier into thinking they're providing service to a cellular phone instead? I don't know much about how to do that. Getting that one from T'eyes does it have to be used on a T'eyes device? I clicked in your post and it downloaded a file (to my computer) but it doesn't do anything. Does this need to be moved to my headunit and 'loaded' somehow?

I just got my wife's new Joying installed, called Straight Talk and they said they just don't support car stereos, I told them I could put a card in it like a tablet and they told me to use a T-Mobile Straight Talk card, but when I asked about what bands it uses, they couldn't tell me - said I needed to get a card and put it in to know that, but I don't want to spend $50-60 AGAIN to get another card that won't work in my unit.

I'm kind of at a loss.
    What I did is use an IMEI randomizer to simulate a pixel 5. Put those into the file using notepad (two different ones since I have 2 sim slots). Loaded the file onto a usb thumber and plugged it into the usb interface of the unit. My unit popped up a message saying “imei changed”. Then after a reboot the new IMEI was in the unit settings. Plugged in my USMobile sim card and it showed up on my account to register.

My unit is an FYT with vendor ID=1.
    Us mobile uses the t-mobile and Verizon networks. The Verizon sim got no signal but the t-mobile one had all the bars.
    So it appears all of the Big 3 in the U.S. utilize FDD-LTE Band 2 - but this begs the question why my previously-purchased new cards that should have worked on the AT&T network (one from Straight Talk and one direct from AT&T) would not work in my older unit.

Do I have to somehow make sure the card I purchase is specifically for that band, or does any AT&T 4G LTE (non 5G) card, work on ALL of the AT&T bands?

Forgive me if I'm asking really dumb questions here - all this compatibility of various cellular networks stuff has me spinning in circles.
    First thing is to put in your SIM card and see if you get bars.
    I had two cards, one for T-mobile and one for Verizon. Only the T-mobile had bars.
    If you don't get bars, you don't have a network and nothing else will work.
    My radio info read the SIM card and told me all the deets on the network provider.

I don't have a T'eyes unit just a generic FYT unit, and the "magic file" is just a text file named IMEI0 with 2 lines for IMEI numbers.
    I will update - got 4G working again on my older Joying unit by changing APN settings. Now I have 4G again! W00T!

Now to spend some time (when I have it) working on the new Snapdragon unit.
    I just put it in. I don't know why the old card I had wouldn't show up, but the new one, since it was working my old old unit, I just swapped it over, rebooted and it worked. Didn't have to change APN settings in the new unit, either. Go figure.