Question Finding a prepaid SIM/carrier that will will with my Joying

Search This thread

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Nice! Congrats! It's a nice really nice Unit. I'm satisfied with my purchase. I even have a Firestick attached to it just in case a streaming app doesn't work. That's one of the reasons I am thinking about getting the MiFi, since I won't have to switch to Hotspot when using the FireStick. Also, if I want to play Gamepass, I may need a faster, more stable connection.

Hopefully you are able to get everything set up correctly. There is a wire in the back that has to be connected for the canbus to work. Mine came connected from factory, but my vehicle doesn't need canbus. You will also need to select and activate your canbus in the Unit. From there, you should be able to program the Steering Wheel controls.

Shipping will take about 2 weeks. I ordered on the 9th and it arrived on the 20th.
Mine says it will be here on Wednesday.

btrcp2000

Mar 18, 2005
Anybody using TMobile's $10 unlimited data plan for business accounts?

I have a Dasaita right now but thinking about new unit with built in cellular to combine with it. Using phone as hotspot is hit or miss, even in the same locations from day to day. Some days I get 40mbps down, some I get .1 until I toggle wifi on/off a few times.

If I'm going to invest again and eat the loss selling the Dasaita, I would prefer one with a 5g modem but I'm guessing those don't exist yet? Searching just gives me references to 5ghz wifi

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
A MiFi is a device that creates a "hotspot" the same way a phone would/does. The FireStick should be able to connect to a phone's hotspot just as it would connect to a MiFi's hotspot.

You can always try out with your phone's hotspot and then if it doesn't work, then get or try out the MiFi.
I can confirm the Firestick works excellently with Hotspot, so it should have no issue with a MiFi device.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Anybody using TMobile's $10 unlimited data plan for business accounts?

I have a Dasaita right now but thinking about new unit with built in cellular to combine with it. Using phone as hotspot is hit or miss, even in the same locations from day to day. Some days I get 40mbps down, some I get .1 until I toggle wifi on/off a few times.

If I'm going to invest again and eat the loss selling the Dasaita, I would prefer one with a 5g modem but I'm guessing those don't exist yet? Searching just gives me references to 5ghz wifi
Yeah, to be honest, we're lucky to have these Units running full Android, especially here in the US. I doubt there is a 5G head unit as these units still don't support full 4G bands for all carriers here. I do believe that EU and ASIA are larger markets and also where the companies are located, so the devices are made to work in those areas primarily. I have the Joying Unit, so I can only confirm that the T-Mobile plan you mention should work on the Unit, albeit missing a band or 2.

Whichever Unit you choose, check its cellular band compatibility and confirm that it supports bands for your selected carrier. From my experience, I am using Verizon on the Joying Unit, and it has compatibility with 2 of Verizon's 4G bands. The connection is pretty stable for the most part, but sometimes I do get an occasional slow moment before things pick back up. The connection also is not the fastest. This was noticed when I tried to lock a YouTube video to 1080p. Setting back to Auto allowed it to adjust an maintain playback, albeit with some quality drops in the video.

magconp

Jan 15, 2011
I just got the universal 7inch model for my Subaru Outback.

i was hoping to just pop in the sim from a tmobile phone that I have as a backup device that never really leaves the house.

but the phone uses a nano sim and I can't tell what the joying takes. It looks like something about 1in square with 8 contacts.

i got the unit off Amazon, so maybe its an older style?

What format sim cards are people using?

magconp

Jan 15, 2011
I just got the universal 7inch model for my Subaru Outback.

i was hoping to just pop in the sim from a tmobile phone that I have as a backup device that never really leaves the house.

but the phone uses a nano sim and I can't tell what the joying takes. It looks like something about 1in square with 8 contacts.

i got the unit off Amazon, so maybe its an older style?

What format sim cards are people using?
ok. Found an adapter and now have 5 bars and streaming some tunes!

for others referenc3, these take a micro sim ans o ly use 6 of the 8 connectors in the dongle.

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
I installed the unit and popped in the T-Mobile sim.

No bars.

Tried the AddAPN app, but that didn’t work either. I’ll have to mess with it

Litwick87

Jul 14, 2007
Hmm, in that case, check to see if the data is turned on. Perhaps from messing with it, you may have turned it off accidentally. Also, make sure WiFi is turned off, or it's not in airplane mode or something. Hope that helps.
Yeah I don’t know what changed on it’s own but it was working when I checked this morning!

I need to go on a flight/trip so I’ll be taking the SIM card back out and into my iPad. Here’s to hoping this trading back and forth works.

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
Interesting. Did a full upgrade to the latest joying firmware (june system / may app) and while it shows signal bars, it won't pull an ip. Tmobile sim, fast apn selected. Was previously working with a mix of system/app from sometime around july-sept of last year (unit is navifly fyt=1). I did notice it showed some unbelievable signal strengths, bouncing quickly between -48db and -78, when it should be closer to -100. Radio in the joying image must be incompatible with my unit? Full wiped. Probably won't dig into it since I just tether anyway (having only band2 is pretty rough..).

Last edited:

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Interesting. Did a full upgrade to the latest joying firmware (june system / may app) and while it shows signal bars, it won't pull an ip. Tmobile sim, fast apn selected. Was previously working with a mix of system/app from sometime around july-sept of last year (unit is navifly fyt=1). I did notice it showed some unbelievable signal strengths, bouncing quickly between -48db and -78, when it should be closer to -100. Radio in the joying image must be incompatible with my unit? Full wiped. Probably won't dig into it since I just tether anyway (having only band2 is pretty rough..).

Unless
Yeah I don’t know what changed on it’s own but it was working when I checked this morning!

I need to go on a flight/trip so I’ll be taking the SIM card back out and into my iPad. Here’s to hoping this trading back and forth works.
Hmm, odd you were able to install a Joying firmware on a non-Joying unit. I'd definitely start looking there for the incompatibility. When installing custom roms on Android devices, we'd run into issues like certain features not working so that could likely be the reason. Would you be able to reflash your factory image?

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
TMO sim. Went out of town and saw the device connected to sprint bands (B25/26/41), and data worked! On the drive back, it eventually went back to B2 and died. Disabled B2 in engineering, rebooted, and we're back in business. I wonder if there's any hope for LTECA, or at least band priority. Have only connected to B41 once so far, and speeds were far better than B25/26 as expected.

Saw some toggles in engineering, but DL CA claims no support, and UL CA asks to reboot but then doesn't change.

Good enough, and far better than before when I only connected to B2, and constantly dropped down to edge. B26 fills in the holes, but that should be going to dish soon. Note, I also switched to FD/TD LTE only in engineering, so no more drops to 2G.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017
What I did is use an IMEI randomizer to simulate a pixel 5. Put those into the file using notepad (two different ones since I have 2 sim slots). Loaded the file onto a usb thumber and plugged it into the usb interface of the unit. My unit popped up a message saying “imei changed”. Then after a reboot the new IMEI was in the unit settings. Plugged in my USMobile sim card and it showed up on my account to register.

My unit is an FYT with vendor ID=1.
Us mobile uses the t-mobile and Verizon networks. The Verizon sim got no signal but the t-mobile one had all the bars.
Hello. Could you, please, send me how to do this?

j-5

Jun 5, 2013
make a text file named "IMEI0" (no extension)
edit it to put in two IMEI values that are valid and compatible with your provider. (one for each SIM slot)
copy to USB stick
plug it in

Some people activate SIM on a different device, but some providers check (I moved mu SIM to a DEL Laptop and got a message from Verizon that it was in a new device)

Oct 8, 2017
edit it to put in two IMEI values that are valid and compatible with your provider. (one for each SIM slot)
copy to USB stick
plug it in

Some people activate SIM on a different device, but some providers check (I moved mu SIM to a DEL Laptop and got a message from Verizon that it was in a new device)
Man, it worked like magic!!! Thank you so much!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Fi absolutely rapes you with charges for data. My teenage son was on it for a month and we immediately switched him back to Straight Talk.

So @j-5 you used an IMEI switcher? I'm not sure what this actually does... you just 'fooled' the carrier into thinking they're providing service to a cellular phone instead? I don't know much about how to do that. Getting that one from T'eyes does it have to be used on a T'eyes device? I clicked in your post and it downloaded a file (to my computer) but it doesn't do anything. Does this need to be moved to my headunit and 'loaded' somehow?

I just got my wife's new Joying installed, called Straight Talk and they said they just don't support car stereos, I told them I could put a card in it like a tablet and they told me to use a T-Mobile Straight Talk card, but when I asked about what bands it uses, they couldn't tell me - said I needed to get a card and put it in to know that, but I don't want to spend $50-60 AGAIN to get another card that won't work in my unit.

I'm kind of at a loss.
    What I did is use an IMEI randomizer to simulate a pixel 5. Put those into the file using notepad (two different ones since I have 2 sim slots). Loaded the file onto a usb thumber and plugged it into the usb interface of the unit. My unit popped up a message saying “imei changed”. Then after a reboot the new IMEI was in the unit settings. Plugged in my USMobile sim card and it showed up on my account to register.

My unit is an FYT with vendor ID=1.
    Us mobile uses the t-mobile and Verizon networks. The Verizon sim got no signal but the t-mobile one had all the bars.
    copy to USB stick
    plug it in

So it appears all of the Big 3 in the U.S. utilize FDD-LTE Band 2 - but this begs the question why my previously-purchased new cards that should have worked on the AT&T network (one from Straight Talk and one direct from AT&T) would not work in my older unit.

Do I have to somehow make sure the card I purchase is specifically for that band, or does any AT&T 4G LTE (non 5G) card, work on ALL of the AT&T bands?

Forgive me if I'm asking really dumb questions here - all this compatibility of various cellular networks stuff has me spinning in circles.
    First thing is to put in your SIM card and see if you get bars.
    I had two cards, one for T-mobile and one for Verizon. Only the T-mobile had bars.
    If you don't get bars, you don't have a network and nothing else will work.
    My radio info read the SIM card and told me all the deets on the network provider.

I don't have a T'eyes unit just a generic FYT unit, and the "magic file" is just a text file named IMEI0 with 2 lines for IMEI numbers.
    copy to USB stick
    plug it in

Thanks!
    I added this to the Q&A as Q23 in post #1 in General FYT based Spreadtrum uis7862 (unisoc ums512) - Q&A, Mods, tips, firmware