• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fingerprint Scanner is disappointing slow

Search This thread

Cock-Punisher

Mar 14, 2015
Hi together,
I`m comming from a pixel 4 xl and a Samsung galaxy s10.
The fingerprint Scanner is pretty slow compared to the s10 one.
I know how fast a optical scanner can be regarding a Oneplus Phone and it's not as sensetive to a glas screen protector as the sonic one.
So the s20 Fe s fingerprint sensor has the Potential.
Unforatunately it's slow and inaccurate. Is this only me having this feeling? Compared to the s10s sensor its super slow and you have to have your Finger on the screen way longer. Also it's more unreliable.
S10 8/10 tries.
S20 fe 6/10 tries.
Overall im pretty disappointed.
I came from the Pixel 4 xl due to annoying masks not working with face unlock.
But the fingerprint Scanner of this Phone is giving me a hard time to.

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
I am coming from the LG G6 with the fingerprint sensor in the power button on the rear. I really prefer that setup because you can use it by feel, and it was really quick (could have my phone unlocked before having it out of my pocket, if I wanted). But I find the S20 FE just fine. A tad slower and more finicky with placement, but fast enough and I hardly ever have failures. My main complaint is that you have to be quick to remove your finger after it unlocks, else you could activate the screen at the location of the fingerprint. For this reason I only have 4 icons in the bottom area of my screen instead of 5, and nothing in the row above that.

The only other in-screen fingerprint sensor I've used was the TCL 10 pro, which I found much worse than the FE.

Also, I registered my fingerprints initially with the plastic shipping protector on, and did not re-do them after applying a glass protector. So it has been pretty much fuss-free.

MoshPuiu

Jul 29, 2009
Calarasi
You probably have a problem with your phone. I had S10 until I bought S20 FE 5G (I gave S10 to my son). The fingerprint sensor is ok and faster than the ultrasonic one on the S10. I specify that it is valid for glass protection. On the S10 I had 'whitestone dome glass' and on the S20 I had Spigen glass. What worries me about the optical sensor is the security because I often use it for online payments.

Lifear

Jan 24, 2007
I found the fingerprint unlock really slow until today. I changed screen refresh rate to 120Hz and as a result it feels a lot faster when unlocking. Maybe it also more reliable, because it didnt need that much time to unlock, where i can move the finger.

EAXDA

Feb 14, 2015
You can make fingerprint scanner faster by changing some options:
1.change refresh rate to 120hz
2.in developer options change animation settings (all 3 settings to 0.5)
3.go to biometrics and security-biometrics preferences-disable
4.advanced features-reduce animations-enable
5.and last thing to do go apps settings-click on 3 dots on top of the corner-special access-optimise battery usage-change to all tab-search for com.samsung.android.biometrics.app.setting-disable optimisation
Now you can unlock your screen with just tapping on fingerprint area (dont need to hold)
Also adding the same fingerprint twice will improve the possibility of success unlocks.
Works perfectly with full screen protector.

Last edited:

Fullmetal Jun

Sep 10, 2013
Camp Kidney
5.and last thing to do go apps settings-click on 3 dots on top of the corner-special access-optimise battery usage-change to all tab-search for com.samsung.android.biometrics.app.setting-disable optimisation
Now you can unlock your screen with just tapping on fingerprint area (dont need to hold)
Also adding the same fingerprint twice will improve the possibility of success unlocks.

Thanks. Disabling biometrics optimizer made it super fast now

allayarov.i

Nov 16, 2013
Stuttgart
Lifehack regarding to how to make fingerprint sensor faster:

1. Remove all fingerprints
2. Set 60 Hz display refresh rate
3. Add fingerprints
4. Set back 120 Hz display refresh rate

Now sensor works much faster. At least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can make fingerprint scanner faster by changing some options:
    1.change refresh rate to 120hz
    2.in developer options change animation settings (all 3 settings to 0.5)
    3.go to biometrics and security-biometrics preferences-disable
    4.advanced features-reduce animations-enable