Question Fingerprint scanner issues.

Search This thread

nightmare1942

Nov 29, 2009
We also had these issues and I almost returned the phone until reading this post.
After enabling the setting mentioned by @xela19115 and reconfiguring/initializing the FP again it's working way better.
Also we use a screenprotector from a Chinese vendor (yenwen) where you get 2 pieces for 8€.

Explyy

Nov 28, 2015
Trento
Moto G 2015
OnePlus 5T
It seems to me like over time (few hours, from morning to evening) it accepts different "spots" of my finger. Maybe in the morning it's happy with the fingertip, but in the evening it rejects it and wants me to scan the center of the fingerprint, only to later shift again.
When you figure out what it wants it's pretty quick and accurate... But it's still something that shouldn't be happening.
Sometimes it feels like the phone has "unleaned" my fingerprint almost completely, only to go back to normal after a couple hours

Reactions: towhidabid

NLS4

Nov 16, 2014
Just got mine and configured the fp scanner so that it works everytime. First of all turn on screenprotector mode. Secondly just make multiple scans of your finger i have made 3 scans of my thumb in the positions that i will unlock them when i have the phone in hand. I have a tempered glass screen protector on it but with the above steps it should work perfectly

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just got mine and configured the fp scanner so that it works everytime. First of all turn on screenprotector mode. Secondly just make multiple scans of your finger i have made 3 scans of my thumb in the positions that i will unlock them when i have the phone in hand. I have a tempered glass screen protector on it but with the above steps it should work perfectly
It's funny you think this hasn't been tried yet. You just got yours. Wait for the scanner to start to not recognize your prints in a few days.

mat-sie

Jul 4, 2010
Based on the experience of Mathorlaz I returned the phone and got another new one. The performance of FP detection is way better compared to the previous phone, even without the Screenprotector mode turned on.
Now it's working in an acceptable way. Not perfect. But way better. And I am using a Spigen screen protector.

Hence, if you have a serious issue with the FP detection, replace the phone.

Mathorlaz

Explyy

Nov 28, 2015
Trento
Moto G 2015
OnePlus 5T
I didn't want to call it broken after a week, return it, and buy another one, hoping for better luck. Bought it on the 17th so I still have a few days to return it if I really wanted.
But surprisingly it looks to me like it's starting to improve, as if it's actually "learning" my finger (as it should).
Set up 3 fingerprints, one for the index and two for the thumb. It's been about 3 days now, it now works much better than when i first got it (also I made sure to scan my thumb "the right way").
This morning it had some problem recognising my fingers (about 4/5 consecutive fails), but after a couple of successful scans it's now working (in my opinion) as it should. Not as fast as the one I had one the OP 5T, but that's to be expected.
I hope these are all software issues that can be fixed (they really look like software issues to me).

Is anybody else noticing the same behaviour?

Edit:
  • I have a Spigen align master glass screen protector (it's on the list of officially compatible screen protectors).
  • "Screen protector mode" turned off: had it turned on at first (until ~3 days ago) but I didn't really notice any difference, so i turned it off. It looks to me that it only works for improving touch sensitivity (how strong you need to press to register a touch) and not fingerprint recognition.

Last edited:

hammered58

Nov 4, 2017
Wisconsin
HTC U11
Google Pixel 4
Based on the experience of Mathorlaz I returned the phone and got another new one. The performance of FP detection is way better compared to the previous phone, even without the Screenprotector mode turned on.
Now it's working in an acceptable way. Not perfect. But way better. And I am using a Spigen screen protector.

Hence, if you have a serious issue with the FP detection, replace the phone.

Mathorlaz

I just started the return process also , they had no problem giving me a total replacement because of the fingerprint issue,, the option to fix was not even given, I will report back when the replacement arrives and if its any better

Mississip

Sep 18, 2015
The scanner is bad, that's all. The crucial thing to make it usable is the right inital scan, if it records your fingers flawlesly it will work (but not the way we expect, only in an acceptable way).

There is no sensitivity setting, he probably mean the display setting.
He likely assumed Pixel 7 has an 'increase touch sensitivity' toggle under display settings like the Pixel 6, but it doesn't.

Mississip

Sep 18, 2015
It does but it's called "Screen protector mode" on the Pixel 7.
Thanks for pointing this out in case I need to use it. I never needed the sensitivity setting with screen protectors on the Pixel 6. On my P7 I just re-registered 3 prints after moisturizing to see if it works better before testing with screen protectors.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

KUN1

Account currently disabled
Sep 29, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
I tried all the above suggestions but for me the fingerprint scanner will only work 1/10 of the time. It's really annoying not just the unlocking's not working but also the app identification for banking apps etc.
I'm using a screen protector but have the sensible touch setting turned on and I've set up my fingerprint multiple times.

Reactions: ktdt00

ktdt00

May 23, 2006
I tried all the above suggestions but for me the fingerprint scanner will only work 1/10 of the time. It's really annoying not just the unlocking's not working but also the app identification for banking apps etc.
I'm using a screen protector but have the sensible touch setting turned on and I've set up my fingerprint multiple times.
I'm in the same boat but mine works maybe a third of the time. The amount of ambient light seems to be relevant both when recording FP's and using them. Some guy posted a youtube about licking his finger (barely damp), which I thought was gross, but when I do it mine works nearly 100% of the time. That's more of a data point than a fix. I can't believe the evil empire released the phone with it this way since so many apps now hook to it.

atlp99

Jul 12, 2007
I got a pixel 7 pro for Christmas and the fingerprint scanner works great on it. The scanner on my 7 has always been poor. The fingerprint scanner on my old pixel 6 that my son has now works better than the one on my Pixel 7.
I initiated a warranty claim on the Pixel 7. Hopefully it the replacement is better.

atlp99

Jul 12, 2007
The January update seemed to make a big improvement on the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 7. It's working almost perfectly now.

Reactions: grandpajiver

ariesgodofwar

Jun 10, 2010
Fenton
Android Wear
OnePlus 6T
Can't wait for the January qpr2 beta 2 then, it should be released this week.
I just installed yesterday, and while the effect could be psychological, I wasn't expecting any improvements, yet my scanner seems to work 100% better. I am trying to even remember if I have had to try more than once in the 18 or so hours I have had QPR2 Beta 2 installed. I haven't seen any mention anywhere of them including improvements, but to me it seems much improved.

Edited: Apparently, scanner improvements were indeed part of the Jan Security Patch, which was in QPR2 Beta 2, I wonder if it is the fixed version, or the same one causing the auto/bluetooth issues?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2010
HTC One (M9)
Xiaomi 12
When I got mine, the FP was horrid. 10% Success rate. And that is me being generous. So I gave it a chance, updated it to the latest firmware and for safe measure registered 2 of each thumb. Now its working well compared when I first got it. Id say about 90% success rate. Still some misses here and there though, but tolerable for me. I also, disabled the haptic feedback caus for some reason when it's on, FP just can't get it. But yeah, for a supposedly flagship phone, this is the worst onscreen FP scanner I came across. I compared it to my Samsung A53 5G, S20 Ultra SD 5G, Iphone 13 Pro Max, Huawei Mate 20 Pro, and Huawei P30 which all have onscreen FP and Pixel 2XL, Huawei Nova 7i, P30 Lite, Poco X3 Pro, Redmi Note 9 and LG G6 which all have dedicated FP Scanners and all of these are far more reliable. Condsidering that most of these phones are already a couple of years old, you would have expected that Pixel 7 would be better or the very least on par in terms of FP accuracy and speed, but unfortunately no.

Reactions: manjaroid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no idea how I got it fixed but I was having the same issue as you. I disabled verity and verification to flash custom kernel (wiped phone after verity) and after that the FP reader is working with 100% accuracy. It was night and day for me.
    I have no idea how I got it fixed but I was having the same issue as you. I disabled verity and verification to flash custom kernel (wiped phone after verity) and after that the FP reader is working with 100% accuracy. It was night and day for me.
    If I pay $600 for the phone and have to do ADB "contortions" to get the FP scanner to work, then I don't need the phone like that.

A "cheap" inlocked Chinese POCO phone with under screen FP reader works 100% of the time without disabling dm-verity.
    Wow I find my Pixel 7 to be much better on the FP scanner than my P6 was, I even added a screen protector after enrolling my prints. I also now use the face unlock and have no issues with Apps that use the FP biometric option. This phone is way better than my P6.
    Agree - I'm fairly familiar with Xiaomi phones and their FP readers are pretty reliable. I'm surprised how poorly my Pixel 7's reader is. In this day and age, we shouldn't have to compromise on what's supposed to be a stable technology after paying $600.

I do notice something interesting though - the failure rate is very high when I try to unlock it after a little while (a little while being >15m). But, if I fail and enter my passcode, every subsequent try is super fast. It's almost as if the phone realizes it's not doing a good job a the initial recognition, adjusts its stored FP data, and then gets better for a while. Anyone else notice this?
    I have noticed that same thing on my 7 Pro although for me it's more like an hour+ where it gets bad... It will be fine all day then I set my phone down for awhile, pick it up later, and it will instantly fail all three times and then start working again after my PIN goes in. Very strange. Probably can be fixed with software.
    At the first time with my pixel 7 the i had your same issue, fp wasnt working 9 time on 10 but then, after registered it again correctly (reading the on screen instruction while do it) is started to work flawlessly every time. Now it is always unlocking the phone, with more light or in the dark (at night for example) and with low or high brightness.