• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fingerprint unlock question

Search This thread

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
Is there a way to enable the Note 5 to simply unlock by holding your fingerprint on the scanner? I don't feel like it's very convenient to have to push the home or power button, then swiped up to unlock then place you r finger on the scanner. Seems a little inconvenient, no? Doesn't the OP2 simply unlock when you place your finger on the scanner? Is there a setting I'm missing? I'm on Verizon so root/any sort of xposed module hack is out of the question.

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
Even if I can make it so I don't have to swipe the unlock icon up. It would be so much better if I could just press the home button then continue to hold my finger on the button to unlock. Noe of this swipe up garbage.

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
https://youtu.be/Gcz9RE_Hw0Y

This guy doesn't have to swipe up on a padlock icon on the lockscreen. He simply presses the home key and places his finger on the scanner. I have to press the home key, then swipe up, them register the finger print. I swear done phones can do it from screen off to on and unlocked simply by touching the fingerprint scanner. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-N920V

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
Sent from my SM-N920V 1443042865428.jpg

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
I checked the lock screen settings. Nothing there to indicate this issue. Anyway, I factory reset and now it works like a charm. I appreciate all the people that told me they can already do what I wanted it to do but offered no suggestions on how to resolve the issue.

Netuser

Feb 4, 2006
Toronto
When you register your fingerprint did you moved your finger up and down and left right so that whole finger print is saved or just lift and place same part on and off?

For optimum way. You need to move a little up and down and left and right so that whole fingers print is saved.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Briankbl

Dec 10, 2012
I checked the lock screen settings. Nothing there to indicate this issue. Anyway, I factory reset and now it works like a charm. I appreciate all the people that told me they can already do what I wanted it to do but offered no suggestions on how to resolve the issue.
When we can't recreate the issue, it makes offering help (outside of suggesting factory reset) a little difficult. Instead of insulting posters in a passive aggressive manner, you could just say thanks and move on.

cajunaggie87

Apr 21, 2011
Pohang, South Korea
Are you using the smart lock feature that disables the fingerprint requirement when connected to a trusted bluetooth source? That's what looks like is happening. When you do that swipe up, what you are doing is causing your phone to require your fingerprint again. That's what that little lock means. You are basically telling your phone "I know you are connected to a trusted bluetooth source, but require my fingerprint anyway."

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

PDP///M

Nov 8, 2010
If the lock is present on the bottom of the screen it means your phone is unlocked. When you swipe from the unlock button you're asking if to require a fingerprint on the next unlock. Your fingerprint lock is not active normally. When it is secured you won't see the lock button

Reactions: Flandro

Flandro

Oct 5, 2009
Are you using the smart lock feature that disables the fingerprint requirement when connected to a trusted bluetooth source? That's what looks like is happening. When you do that swipe up, what you are doing is causing your phone to require your fingerprint again. That's what that little lock means. You are basically telling your phone "I know you are connected to a trusted bluetooth source, but require my fingerprint anyway."

But should it unlock by simply pressing the home button again? Because that didn't work for me. The only way I could get past that lock screen was to swipe up and put my finger print in. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

But should it unlock by simply pressing the home button again? Because that didn't work for me. The only way I could get past that lock screen was to swipe up and put my finger print in. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

I see the confusion.

1-When you see no icon between the camera and the phone icon just put your thumb on the home button to unlock.

2-When you see a padlock icon in the bottom center, between the phone and camera icon simply swipe finger anywhere on the screen to unlock. If you press the padlock and swipe up you're actually looking the phone.

Hope this helps.

PDP///M

Nov 8, 2010
I see the confusion.

1-When you see no icon between the camera and the phone icon just put your thumb on the home button to unlock.

2-When you see a padlock icon in the bottom center, between the phone and camera icon simply swipe finger anywhere on the screen to unlock. If you press the padlock and swipe up you're actually looking the phone.

Hope this helps.

Thats correct. The op still has swipe to unlock with no security set up. Op go to settings, lock screen and security, screen type lock. It should be set to fingerprints, but probably isn't. Once that is set, all you have to do is, with screen off, press home button and release but keep you finger on the button till phone unlocks.

0utkast

Oct 18, 2010
Adelaide
When you have that Icon you have set smart lock on. You can simply swipe the screen to unlock. You have to go settings and turn it off if you want to always use fingerprint. Search "trust agents" in your settings. Ps that's quite funny

Reactions: Delacombo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When we can't recreate the issue, it makes offering help (outside of suggesting factory reset) a little difficult. Instead of insulting posters in a passive aggressive manner, you could just say thanks and move on.

I see the confusion.

Hope this helps.
    If the lock is present on the bottom of the screen it means your phone is unlocked. When you swipe from the unlock button you're asking if to require a fingerprint on the next unlock. Your fingerprint lock is not active normally. When it is secured you won't see the lock button
    When you have that Icon you have set smart lock on. You can simply swipe the screen to unlock. You have to go settings and turn it off if you want to always use fingerprint. Search "trust agents" in your settings. Ps that's quite funny