Question Fingerprint unlock when screen off

Search This thread

avid_droid

• Aug 24, 2019
    Hawaii
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    If there is one feature I miss from samsung, after returning to Oneplus, is fingerprint unlock while the screen is off. Hopefully Oneplus will implement it in a software update. It's easier than having to double tap to wake or pressing the power button to turn screen on than place your finger on the scanner.

avid_droid

• Aug 24, 2019
    Hawaii
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    There is tap to wake ambient(w/fingerprint) and double tap to wake as you mentioned. Type "tap the screen to show" in settings search bar
    I know it has that bit what I miss is when the screen is off, you can just place your finger where the fingerprint scanner is and it unlocks the phone. I don't use ambient display as the phone is mostly in my pocket.

Reactions: Shooter7889

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
    FLORENCE
    I know it has that bit what I miss is when the screen is off, you can just place your finger where the fingerprint scanner is and it unlocks the phone. I don't use ambient display as the phone is mostly in my pocket.
    I see. I don't use ambient either, but I use the tap to wake(my fingerprint reader).

If there is one feature I miss from samsung, after returning to Oneplus, is fingerprint unlock while the screen is off. Hopefully Oneplus will implement it in a software update. It's easier than having to double tap to wake or pressing the power button to turn screen on than place your finger on the scanner.
    Enable Always-on Ambiente Display under Display > Ambiente Display.
    That's the main reason I have this on. It's just better when you can instantly unlock your phone.
    But to always see the time and how much you have used your phone (Customization > Clock on ambient display > Insight) is also a nice touch.

avid_droid

• Aug 24, 2019
    Hawaii
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    Enable Always-on Ambiente Display under Display > Ambiente Display.
    That's the main reason I have this on. It's just better when you can instantly unlock your phone.
    But to always see the time and how much you have used your phone (Customization > Clock on ambient display > Insight) is also a nice touch.
    Unless youre a samsung user, you won't understand. Ambient display is different as you have to tap the screen and samsung you don't. Hence the explanation above. Ultrasonic vs. oneplus's whatever fingerprint sensor. Major difference. It's not the same.
    POINT IS:
    I miss it and there is always trade offs when going from device to device. Just would've liked if oneplus did it with their displays since samsung is the ones providing them with their displays.

Unless youre a samsung user, you won't understand. Ambient display is different as you have to tap the screen and samsung you don't. Hence the explanation above. Ultrasonic vs. oneplus's whatever fingerprint sensor. Major difference. It's not the same.
    POINT IS:
    I miss it and there is always trade offs when going from device to device. Just would've liked if oneplus did it with their displays since samsung is the ones providing them with their displays.
    If you have Always-on Ambiente Display on, you can just put your finger on the display where the sensor is and the device will be unlocked. It is not necessary to wake it up.

Or do you mean you don't touch the display at all with Samsung's ultrasonic sensors to unlock it?

I think you don't understand that has nothing to do with the display but with the kind of fingerprint sensor used. OnePlus is using an Optical sensor witch requires light. Therefore the display has to be awake and needs to be on at the point where the sensor is.

Samsung, on the other hand, uses an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that does not require light and therefore always works when the display is off.

The only thing I see here that oneplus could do, would be another setting in the ambience display options, which allows to keep only the area above the sensor active even without always on display if that is possible.
    I think that would be a great solution for those who don't want to use Always-on Ambiente Display.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eugene1026

PatPatShum

Jun 5, 2021
    What I'm trying now is:
    -> Always-on display - On
    -> Customization clock on ambient display - None
    -> Ambient finger-print icon - Off

This is essentially an ambient always on but with nothing shown on the screen, and the fingerprint sensor will activate on touch. Only thing is this setup seems to be drawing more power than I like, I feel the battery is draining faster.

Reactions: Eugene1026

avid_droid

• Aug 24, 2019
    Hawaii
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    What I'm trying now is:

This is essentially an ambient always on but with nothing shown on the screen, and the fingerprint sensor will activate on touch. Only thing is this setup seems to be drawing more power than I like, I feel the battery is draining faster.
    Yes it drains the battery. Reason I never did use AOD. Come to think of it, I've actually never used it or found it useful to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      What I'm trying now is:

There is tap to wake ambient(w/fingerprint) and double tap to wake as you mentioned. Type "tap the screen to show" in settings search bar
      The thing is, is that Samsung uses ultrasonic fingerprint scanner which doesn't require any light vs OnePlus using optical fingerprint scanner which does.
      I've got an S21 Ultra also and honestly I never really paid it any attention. Maybe cause the face unlock on both usually unlocks before I scan fingerprint anyway.
      That was the best feature that samsung has imo. I dislike double tap to wake and I hate using the power button haha. Yeah the face unlock is sweet.
      POINT IS:
      If you have Always-on Ambiente Display on, you can just put your finger on the display where the sensor is and the device will be unlocked. It is not necessary to wake it up.

Or do you mean you don't touch the display at all with Samsung's ultrasonic sensors to unlock it?

I think you don't understand that has nothing to do with the display but with the kind of fingerprint sensor used. OnePlus is using an Optical sensor witch requires light. Therefore the display has to be awake and needs to be on at the point where the sensor is.

Samsung, on the other hand, uses an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that does not require light and therefore always works when the display is off.

The only thing I see here that oneplus could do, would be another setting in the ambience display options, which allows to keep only the area above the sensor active even without always on display if that is possible.
      I think that would be a great solution for those who don't want to use Always-on Ambiente Display.
      What I'm trying now is: